PDA

View Full Version : Any one using efax.com?

martyo
11-20-2004, 01:03 PM
A client recommended that I try efax.com.

Has anyone here used it?

Slowpoke
11-20-2004, 01:29 PM
- you're a bankruptcy attorney

- your're 'client' is probably someone who filed bankruptcy

- if he or she was a good business person he/she probably would not need protection of the court.

- you going to start taking advise of people who are bad at running their own affairs???

in all seriousness Marty, the only reason I see to use a service like efax is to obtain files remotely. We ask people we do business with to scan and email documents as an alternative to using a telephone line fax machine. In particular we do a large amount of business in Europe; the phone charges are so high that they began email documents to us years ago. We do the same whenever possible. We have a nice inexpensive scanner with a document feeder. We can scan something right into Acrobat and create a PDF fror emailing.

If you want to capture documents electronically, I suggest a program like WinFaxPro to receive faxes and then you may print out what you need of convert into a PDF to email to other people. I also suggest you purchase a full version of Adobe Acrobat so that you may create, comment, and edit PDF's from Microsoft Office files.

Also, I dont like the idea of being at someone else's [efax] mercy when it comes to sensitive information that may be contained in a fax.

martyo
11-20-2004, 01:36 PM
- you're a bankruptcy attorney

- your're 'client' is probably someone who filed bankruptcy

Ummmm, uhhh, Rick some of my clients are rather wealthy. Don't forget, I do more than bankruptcy work. And, many of the folks who I represent in bankruptcy cases are creditors, not necessairly debtors.

Slowpoke
11-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Ummmm, uhhh, Rick some of my clients are rather wealthy. Don't forget, I do more than bankruptcy work. And, many of the folks who I represent in bankruptcy cases are creditors, not necessairly debtors.

Well..... in that case, ignore the smug remarks about your clients and pay attention to the rest of what I said!

Festus
11-20-2004, 02:02 PM
Also, I dont like the idea of being at someone else's [efax] mercy when it comes to sensitive information that may be contained in a fax.

Then you shouldn't use e-mail to send sensitive information. Standard e-mail has no security safeguards whatsoever. Every e-mail you send is straight text traveling over the Internet for lots of people to read without difficulty.

Keep in mind too, when you log into a POP3 e-mail server that your ID and password are being sent as straight text too.

Festus
11-20-2004, 02:23 PM

Has anyone here used it?

Marty is this for your office to use as a fax machine? If so I agree with Slowpoke that e-mail is a better way to go. I work at a Law Firm too if you recall and we found that our fax volume is way down from a few years ago. The courts all seem to be going toward electronic filings using PDF files.

There are a number of inexpensive tools (Software and Hardware) for sending and receiving documents. We have a couple of small 1 and two man offices. I put in a Lexmark x422 All-in-One Machine in those offices. Its about $1500, but its a network printer, copier, scanner and fax machine. From the machine you can scan a document right into a PDF file and e-mail it directly from the machine. I've been impressed with it.

http://www.lexmark.com/vgn/files/portal/X422%20PR%20letter.pdf

We've been moving toward electronic docs for everything. All of the lawyers who use it love it. A few convert EVERYTHING into PDF files and then they carry what they need on a USB thumb drive instead of a 50 lb. briefcase.

If you have any more questions drop me a line.

Eric

jspradii
11-20-2004, 03:59 PM

Has anyone here used it?
Yeah Marty, I've used it for about a year. It's a great service, and you can get local or toll free numbers if you need them. I don't know what others' experience may be, but I've had a good run with them.

- Jim

martyo
11-20-2004, 09:22 PM
There are a number of inexpensive tools (Software and Hardware) for sending and receiving documents. We have a couple of small 1 and two man offices. I put in a Lexmark x422 All-in-One Machine in those offices. Its about $1500, but its a network printer, copier, scanner and fax machine. From the machine you can scan a document right into a PDF file and e-mail it directly from the machine. I've been impressed with it.

Eric:

I agree and I am using a number of tools along these lines. I also recently installed a photocopier that will scan and e-mail too. My thought about using efax.com was more on the inbound side since I too am sending less and less from the fax machine itself. What I like about the efax service is that certain of my commercial clients send me a bunch of stuff via fax and until I have those clients trained to send me e-documents I figured that the efax service would save me from having to scan the stuff I receive as it would already be in the form of electronic media.

I am inclined to get the efax.com service. In part I was wondering if anyone had any complaints about the reliability of efax.com.

jspradii
11-20-2004, 09:28 PM
Eric:

I agree and I am using a number of tools along these lines. I also recently installed a photocopier that will scan and e-mail too. My thought about using efax.com was more on the inbound side since I too am sending less and less from the fax machine itself. What I like about the efax service is that certain of my commercial clients send me a bunch of stuff via fax and until I have those clients trained to send me e-documents I figured that the efax service would save me from having to scan the stuff I receive as it would already be in the form of electronic media.

I am inclined to get the efax.com service. In part I was wondering if anyone had any complaints about the reliability of efax.com.
Like I said.....I've been using it as a way to receive and screen client documents and it has been marvelous. I've been a lawyer too, for a long time (1983), and this is a good deal. If you have a particular client who is going to send you a LOT OF STUFF, set up a separate E-Fax account, just for them.....just make sure that they pay for it, along with anything else. Once the case is done, cancel the E-Fax account. PM me if you want any more detail.

martyo
11-20-2004, 09:31 PM
Like I said.....I've been using it as a way to receive and screen client documents and it has been marvelous. I've been a lawyer too, for a long time (1983), and this is a good deal. If you have a particular client who is going to send you a LOT OF STUFF, set up a separate E-Fax account, just for them.....just make sure that they pay for it, along with anything else. Once the case is done, cancel the E-Fax account. PM me if you want any more detail.

Jim: You have me convinced. I am pretty sure I am going to get it. I have one client in particular which I will be able to service better with this. And, frankly, they generate enough business for me that I am happy to abosorb the 20 bucks or so that this service will cost me.

jspradii
11-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Jim: You have me convinced. I am pretty sure I am going to get it. I have one client in particular which I will be able to service better with this. And, frankly, they generate enough business for me that I am happy to abosorb the 20 bucks or so that this service will cost me.Like with anything else, if this client is reliable and pays, you can elect to absorb the cost. I put it in all my billings, because I found over the years that out of pocket expenses will eat you up if you don't account and collect for them. A paying client always gets a break on the small stuff, though, you're right.:banana2:

I'm PM'ing you, check it.

MENINBLK
11-20-2004, 09:40 PM

Has anyone here used it?

Marty,

IIRC, eFax is a service intended for Broadband users, who after leaving dialup,
no longer had any easy way of making or receiving faxes.

You can use electronic documents posted to eFax and they will fax them to the number you provide automatically.
You can also received faxes by signing up for their service, of which they supply you with a fax number,
and all faxes they receive are promptly emailed to the email address you supply to them.

The one GOOD benefit to this is that you no longer have to have HARD COPIES to create a fax.
You may need to purchase a scanner, if you don't have one already,
so you can scan hard copies and fax them using eFax.

I would be more concerned about the services' SECURITY and PRIVACY,
than its reliability...

jspradii
11-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Marty,

IIRC, eFax is a service intended for Broadband users, who after leaving dialup,
no longer had any easy way of making or receiving faxes.

You can use electronic documents posted to eFax and they will fax them to the number you provide automatically.
You can also received faxes by signing up for theri service, of which they supply you with a fax number,
and all faxes they received are promptly emailed to the email address you supply to them.

The one GOOD benefit to this it that you no longer have to have HARD COPIES to create a fax.
You may need to purchase a scanner, if you don't have one already,
so you can scan hard copies and fax them using eFax.

I would be more concerned about the services' SECURITY and PRIVACY,
than its reliability...
Again, not to beat a dead horse, this is a good deal, for the reasons previously described.

-Jim

RCSignals
11-21-2004, 01:01 AM
so, Jim, you like e-Fax?

jspradii
11-21-2004, 01:06 AM
so, Jim, you like e-Fax?
Yes, I do. It's like Marty was saying, I can assign a new e-fax account to each of my clients, so their stuff comes through, I have a billing record, and the privacy it affords (since the whole damn staff doesn't see a confidential fax before I do) makes it entirely worthwhile. Everone may have adifferent opuinion, but it has worked for me.

RCSignals
11-21-2004, 01:19 AM
well, I hope sMarty gets it then.

martyo
11-21-2004, 03:10 AM
well, I hope sMarty gets it then.

Most likely I will. One of the BIG benefits to me is that I will have less paper to conend with. One of the clients that I plan on using this for sends me literally hundreds of pages a month, so I have my own little "Paperwork Reduction Act" going. :P

MM03MOK
11-21-2004, 06:27 AM
...... so I have my onw little "Paperwork Reduction Act" going. :P http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_15_3.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_VSXXXXXX46US ) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_18.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_VSXXXXXX46US ) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_15_3.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_VSXXXXXX46US ) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_18.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_VSXXXXXX46US ) Save a forest!!

JamesHecker
11-21-2004, 08:13 PM
I've been using efax for a few years now. Easy to use, good quality, documents are in pdf. I would recommend it.

Watch out with high usage though as they will charge .10/per page over 250 pages per month.

RCSignals
11-21-2004, 08:47 PM
I've been using efax for a few years now. Easy to use, good quality, documents are in pdf. I would recommend it.

Watch out with high usage though as they will charge .10/per page over 250 pages per month.

so, they're kinda like drug dealers? Get 'em hooked then raise the prices?

martyo
11-21-2004, 08:50 PM

This is true, but it reduces my use of "consumables" on my regular machines (toner, drums, and paper) which get expensive as well. When I need to print, the supplies for my network printers are cheaper than my fax machines anyway.

RCSignals
11-21-2004, 08:58 PM
plus marty, you can always bill for it all :)

martyo
11-21-2004, 09:07 PM
plus marty, you can always bill for it all :)

No, not always.

RCSignals
11-21-2004, 09:18 PM
No, not always.

OK, go all lawyer on "always" :lol:

You know what I meant :coolman:

Dan
11-25-2004, 03:54 PM
I have been an efax subscriber for over a year. I love it. I am a real estate investor and have to do a lot of work with attorneys.

I even fax stuff to myself and use it as a rudimentary scanner. I then email the docs to the attorneys.

Dan

Marauder57
11-27-2004, 10:09 AM
I have used eFax for about 4 years. Started out using the free version and then because of volume had to go to the pay version later. I believe the cost is like $12 a month.

I can recieve Fax/Emails anywhere I can get email. I can print out all the stuff I want or parts of what I want whenever I want. The only real issue I have had is occasional delays in the network that a few hours may go by before I get a fax when I know it has been sent.

You can send a fax from your computer when you have upgraded your service with a cover page and everything...pretty simple....

Overall I think it is a win/win especially if you work remotely or change office locations a bit...it allows you to travel without worrying about finding a fax machine......

Overall I have been very pleased with it.....

:up:

2003 MIB
11-27-2004, 09:15 PM
so, they're kinda like drug dealers? Get 'em hooked then raise the prices?
No, that's Medicare.:P