PDA

View Full Version : oxidation on valve covers

Vortex
11-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Any ideas on how to keep this to a minimum? Are there any spray products that might work? I like the look of the unpainted covers but they start looking rough pretty quick.

Petrograde
11-21-2004, 07:08 PM
Mother's (or equivalent) Metal Polish.

However,.. it'll be a bastage to clean,.. cause those are some big a$$ valve covers!

CRUZTAKER
11-21-2004, 08:54 PM
You have an '04.....mmm, they changed the paint scheme on the motor right?

Mine are painted black. When I detail the motor after washing it, I wipe the valve covers with armor-all wipes. Have done so for nearly two years now. No problems, and always shiney black.

DirtyDog
11-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Here you go. Everbrite.net it is a clear coat you can brush on, spray, or wipe on with a cloth. Works good on brass I've put it on. Polish the metal, clean it good and put the stuff on. It's been on stuff on my roadster for 15 years and no sign of tarnish under it.

Dave

2003_MM_FYRE49
11-22-2004, 05:25 PM
I use Griot's engine cleaning kit part number 11550. You can get it from www.giotsgarage.com . I like the engine cleaner because it is an environmentally safe degreaser and it does a fantastic job. Other cleaners that I have used in the past worked well but are a time consuming pain in the butt. When I use the Griot's kit I spray the engine bay down for a specified amount of time, I think it's 10 or 15 minutes, and then spray the engine compartment down with a hose. I start the car up let the engine warm up to dry itself off then I spray on the engine gloss. It leaves the engine bay looking like it just rolled off the showroom floor. :beer: :2thumbs:

jgc61sr2002
11-22-2004, 07:46 PM
I use Griot's engine cleaning kit part number 11550. You can get it from www.giotsgarage.com . I like the engine cleaner because it is an environmentally safe degreaser and it does a fantastic job. Other cleaners that I have used in the past worked well but are a time consuming pain in the butt. When I use the Griot's kit I spray the engine bay down for a specified amount of time, I think it's 10 or 15 minutes, and then spray the engine compartment down with a hose. I start the car up let the engine warm up to dry itself off then I spray on the engine gloss. It leaves the engine bay looking like it just rolled off the showroom floor. :beer: :2thumbs:

I used to spray down (hose) the engine compartment on older cars but I was concerned with the electronics on the Marauder.

dansenander
11-22-2004, 08:55 PM
[Mine are painted black. When I detail the motor after washing it, I wipe the valve covers with armor-all wipes. Have done so for nearly two years now. No problems, and always shiney black.[/QUOTE]
Might concider this:

I have used NoTouch Tire cleaner on all my motors for about 8 years now. Just lightly fog all surfaces about once a month, shut the hood and walk away.

The next morning you can't tell it from a professionally detailed motor. And the extra beauty of it is that it is contains light oils, therefore no rust or oxidation will apear and the rubber parts stay nice and soft. I have never had a problem with painted or chromed surfaces. I do cover the underhood stickers with a rag first.

No ill results with the belt. It does attract dust on dirt roads, but then I just shoot it again and its clean. I attached a picture taken 2-weeks after last application, still clean and shiney!

King Fubar
11-28-2004, 05:24 PM
I like the bare look on the valve covers too but I was wondering about having the V/C's polished and coated with a high temp clear coat. Think this would be worth it??

bigslim
11-28-2004, 05:59 PM
You have an '04.....mmm, they changed the paint scheme on the motor right?

Mine are painted black. When I detail the motor after washing it, I wipe the valve covers with armor-all wipes. Have done so for nearly two years now. No problems, and always shiney black.
I miss the black covers I had on the 03'. The 04' covers don't look as cool.

Vortex
11-28-2004, 06:10 PM
Well, I got motivated and just went out with a clean rag and wiped em off, they look lots better. I think I may order those GT coil covers anyway, those brushed aluminium covers should look nice on my grey motor in a silver car.

BruteForce
11-28-2004, 09:33 PM
I miss the black covers I had on the 03'. The 04' covers don't look as cool.

I agree. The uncoated '04 covers make the engine bay look... um... "unfinished", for lack of a better word.