PDA

View Full Version : Ford 500: America's Car!

duhtroll
11-24-2004, 05:31 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/23/pf/autos/500/index.htm?cnn=yes

I'm still banging my head against the wall about it and I don't own one or even want one.

-A

jgc61sr2002
11-24-2004, 05:39 PM
I wouldn't want one either. :rolleyes:

2003DOHC
11-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Looks better than the Taurus but I would not buy one!!

Krytin
11-24-2004, 05:54 PM
You know, Ford always seems to be doing things backwards - A family sedan w/lots of room (big trunk), cup holders and storage space, high cabin, maybe a little performance and handling. Let's reinvent the wheel and design a non descript AWD eurotrash overgrown Pasat look-a-like that will fail miserably! Whats wrong with advertising and promoting what you already have - the Panther platform! The MM was the perfect vehicle to kick off an advertising blitz to get people interested - it seems to be working w/the 300C!

Oh... sorry. We pretty much covered all this in the past - after reading that article I must have had a bad flash-back! Sorry for venting! I guess I'll be overhaulin' my MM when she starts to get tired!

Patrick
11-24-2004, 06:45 PM

I'm still banging my head against the wall about it and I don't own one or even want one.

-A

Take MM for a spin and all will be well!!!

merc406
11-24-2004, 07:01 PM
I've seen a few on the road here, looks OK, can't comment on it on the interior end, looked nice on TV, but I'll bet if this car had a Mercedes or Honda Accord nameplate on it the papers and magazines would think it was wonderful.

grzellmer
11-24-2004, 07:12 PM
Could you pick a Ford 500 outof a lineup? I couldn't. Nothing to differentiate
it from the pack. A definite "No Buy"

QWK SVT
11-24-2004, 07:19 PM
-A
But why not? Sure, it's not going to accelerate as quickly, stop as short, handle as well, or look as good as a Marauder, but with that "Command Seating Position" you can check out all the hot "minivan mommas" :rolleyes:

TripleTransAm
11-24-2004, 07:45 PM
But why not? Sure, it's not going to accelerate as quickly, stop as short, handle as well, or look as good as a Marauder, but with that "Command Seating Position" you can check out all the hot "minivan mommas" :rolleyes:

Command Seating position? Must have missed it... I fell asleep within 2 sentences of seeing the photo of the car. Let me go back and... and...
:snoopy: zzzzzzzzzzz

Silver_04
11-24-2004, 08:10 PM
We've got the Eddie Bauer SUV's and the King Ranch F150's so I'm thinking the special edition Ford 500 will be the Ford Levi's 501 and it will have a denim interior.

You know, I keep wondering how Ford went from having the Thunderbird Super Coupe, Ford Lightning, Mustang Cobra and Taurus Sho back in the mid '90s to well, uh...nothing now. It's a damn shame.

Krytin
11-24-2004, 08:38 PM
I've seen a few on the road here, looks OK, can't comment on it on the interior end, looked nice on TV, but I'll bet if this car had a Mercedes or Honda Accord nameplate on it the papers and magazines would think it was wonderful.
You got that right!!!!!!

ncmm
11-24-2004, 08:49 PM

-A :confused: It has the ability to hold eight golf bags. (You'll need another car for the three extra golfers.) :depress:

jonroe
11-25-2004, 06:03 AM
I wouldn't buy one for me but I don't have anything particular against it. Ford needs a good "family car" and, being a Ford guy, I wish it was better. If it had any kind of ineresting drive train you could overlook the bland styling. But, I'm sorry, the drive training (including the (yuck) CVT) is BORING.

Jon

BALKISSOON
11-25-2004, 06:50 AM
I think the styling is pretty conservative. The probably want to appeal to a broad customer base for this car.
I hope a more powerful motor is coming soon. Rumors is a 3.5 DOHC V6 is coming soon, but I'm hoping for a DOHC V8, I think the Lincoln LS 3.9 with more power would be a good match for his car, given it's front/ or all wheel drive.
If it was a RWD then it would need a 5.4 DOHC with around 350 HP so it can go head to head with the 300C.
That's my two cents.

Richard Balkissoon

Amsoil_Dealer
11-25-2004, 07:49 AM
I like it....I am not going to run out and buy one but I like it. A friend of mine just got one as a company car as an upgrade form his 99 Taurus. It is a very nice upgrade and for free? I'd sure take it.

Don

FordNut
11-25-2004, 07:57 AM
I like it....I am not going to run out and buy one but I like it. A friend of mine just got one as a company car as an upgrade form his 99 Taurus. It is a very nice upgrade and for free? I'd sure take it.

Don
I don't like it, but you're right about it being better than a Taurus. Of course that's not saying much. I had a Taurus and it was a real POS.

stevengerard
11-25-2004, 08:08 AM
I had 2 SHO's 5 spd and auto - both decent cars and would have been more fun if not for FWD. I was really looking forward to the 500 especially since Ford was hinting of a big displacement engine in it. I'm ok with subtle looks if its not ugly and has the pwer to back it up. The 500 Hundred is just another Ford over-promissed and under-delivered i.e the LS6, LS8! :mad: Thank goodness I bought an MM.

Bluerauder
11-25-2004, 09:26 AM
I saw a Mercury Montego sitting out front of my dealer's on my last trip in for service. It looks rather short and round IMHO. Nothing special and rather blah from my perspective. :depress: In other words, the Montego just didn't get my blood pumping like when I saw that Blue MM about a year ago. :D

Woulda, coulda, shoulda ...... the initial hype and concept of the Ford 500 got me looking and waiting. What the car mutated into is a crying shame. :bigcry: Wow, lots of cupholders .... that is the first thing I look for in a new car. :rolleyes:

The Ford 500 and the Montego had the potential to be real winners .... once again FOMOCO snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. :rofl:

woaface
11-25-2004, 10:32 AM
Power is like sex....it sells.

bigslim
11-25-2004, 11:08 AM
I think the styling is pretty conservative. The probably want to appeal to a broad customer base for this car.
I hope a more powerful motor is coming soon. Rumors is a 3.5 DOHC V6 is coming soon, but I'm hoping for a DOHC V8, I think the Lincoln LS 3.9 with more power would be a good match for his car, given it's front/ or all wheel drive.
If it was a RWD then it would need a 5.4 DOHC with around 350 HP so it can go head to head with the 300C.
That's my two cents.

Richard Balkissoon
Rumor has it that the new V8 that was developed for Volvo's SUV will fit in it. It is a 4.4 liter V8 with 310 hp built by Yamaha. Now will Ford have the balls to use it. Also, it is true about the 3.5 liter engine although this engine is only going to rated around 250 hp.

dwasson
11-25-2004, 06:43 PM

If it was a Honda it would have 50 more HP and be 3 db quieter.

QWK SVT
11-25-2004, 08:41 PM
another Ford over-promissed and under-delivered i.e the LS6, LS8!
Why do you say that? I've driven the LS8, and thought it was a decent little car... I say little because I could not find a seating position that allowed me to be comfortable, and the moonroof removed more headroom than my head would allow.

Other than that, I thought it drove nicely (handling was good, and acceleration was acceptable). The interior was nicely appointed. At the time, it seemed to me it was a pretty nice car, that was a little over priced. Your opinion obviously differs.

BALKISSOON
11-26-2004, 06:35 AM
Rumor has it that the new V8 that was developed for Volvo's SUV will fit in it. It is a 4.4 liter V8 with 310 hp built by Yamaha. Now will Ford have the balls to use it. Also, it is true about the 3.5 liter engine although this engine is only going to rated around 250 hp.

Yes, the V8 would fit because the 500 and the XC90 share the same platform.
I don't know if Yamaha has the capacity to build enought to put in the 500.
The XC90, is not as the same volume as the 500.
But we'll have to wait.
The car could of been something special with a more poweful motor, I kind of like the styling, I don't like cars that make a big statement, I like the stealth look with big power to blow people away.
I'm sure Ford is not stupid, they can see the potential with this car and maybe they will suprise us. (My wish would be a 400 Hp V8, witht all wheel drive)

Bradley G
11-26-2004, 06:49 AM
Hey MM'ers,

While the 500 is nothing like the car most of us have,it does have advantages over the MM.Like it or not,I did'nt care for the car when I test drove it last week(awd cvt trans)I can say the car has more passenger room than the MM all my children are 6' and over(3) I can be a little snug as the smallest has to sit behind me(wife).the trans never shifting is unfamilar to me and it steers like watercraft.But it rides very nice.and feels roomy.I call it likes I sees it .For someone tall it is very comfy.I don't see us getting one but I may have the occasion to present or maybe sell
one.
Bradley G

Mike Poore
11-27-2004, 03:52 AM
[QUOTE=Krytin]You know, Ford always seems to be doing things backwards - QUOTE]

:bagpiper: Speaking of backwards! By now everyone must have seen those ads with the gentleman and lady serenely driving a Ford 500 on rain slicked streets with cars skidding at them backwards from all directions. The nice lady has a slight knowing smile as they calmly negotiate the street as if it was a nice Sunday drive.

Now, picture the same scenario with you driving and YOUR wife sitting in the seat next to you. My Barbara would have ***** her pants, and I would be deaf from all the screaming!:eek:

Kramer
11-27-2004, 10:13 AM
The Mecury Montego looks much better. The ford has way too much chrome in all the wrong places....plus the grill is not appealing.

Patrick
11-27-2004, 10:46 AM
[QUOTE=Krytin]You know, Ford always seems to be doing things backwards - QUOTE]

:bagpiper: Speaking of backwards! By now everyone must have seen those ads with the gentleman and lady serenely driving a Ford 500 on rain slicked streets with cars skidding at them backwards from all directions. The nice lady has a slight knowing smile as they calmly negotiate the street as if it was a nice Sunday drive.

Now, picture the same scenario with you driving and YOUR wife sitting in the seat next to you. My Barbara would have ***** her pants, and I would be deaf from all the screaming!:eek:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

jerrym3
11-27-2004, 05:33 PM
Not knowing your body shape, I haven't had any problems getting a comfortable seating position in my LS8. I'm about 5:10, 210 lbs. I get into the LS with ease, but I have problems getting into my 2003 TBird. Can't help but bang the back of my head entering the Bird, but no problems in the LS8.

Pretty quick? 0-60 in 6.5 seconds max without chips and rear end changes and.............. other stuff? That's pretty quick for a car that weighs close to 4,000 lbs sporting a 3.9 motor.

I drove an MM. Then I drove an LS 8. I liked the MM. I bought the LS8. (But, I have no need to haul around five adults, although I was able to put four 1999 Mustang rims/snows in my small LS8.)

Ford/Lincoln had a really good shot with the LS. Auto writers liked the car from day one, and by now, improvements to the car could have made it a really worthwhile vehicle.

But, typical Ford (Marauder/TBird/LS8), if it ain't a home run out of the box, Ford would rather spend the money on the Explorer, Navigator, Expedition, Freestyle, whatever. Instead, Cadillac is the American marque for car performance, excluding the C-6. Credit is due to GM (Pontiac/GTO) and Chrysler (300 Hemi) for offering cars that run, and improving a product when it doesn't hit the street as a worldbeater on day one..

Hey, but how about that CVT tranny in the 500?

By now, that LS8 should have had the Jag SR motor as an option just to bang heads with the CTS, but does it?..........................n o.

Is the stock LS8 slow? Hell, no. Will it beat the latest Caddy...hell, no.

But, wow, look at that Exporer.....................

Ford is no longer (except for the Mustang), a car company

Some autowriters have called the TBird the Kathryn Hepburn of convertibles, due to the way she kind of ....jiggled her words. I have a Bird, and they are absolutely correct. The TBird jiggles on rough roads.

But, the LS is a whole different story. If they could have made a TBird with the ride of the LS, Ford would have had a real winner.

bigslim
11-27-2004, 05:49 PM
Yes, the V8 would fit because the 500 and the XC90 share the same platform.
I don't know if Yamaha has the capacity to build enought to put in the 500.
The XC90, is not as the same volume as the 500.
But we'll have to wait.
The car could of been something special with a more poweful motor, I kind of like the styling, I don't like cars that make a big statement, I like the stealth look with big power to blow people away.
I'm sure Ford is not stupid, they can see the potential with this car and maybe they will suprise us. (My wish would be a 400 Hp V8, witht all wheel drive)
Ford is not stupid, "YEAH RIGHT". I work for them and see all the dumb things they do and implement. By the way, I drove a Montego yesterday and it is a decent car but way under powered. The engine screamed "please no more" as I pushed on the accelerator. Nice interior but nothing about says "gotta have it".

GordonB
11-27-2004, 09:15 PM
bigslim,
I am with you on theis here new Ford 500. My son-in-law drove it today. It handled well, brakes stopped well, ride was comfortable, but the engine was begging (i.e.screaming) for mercy when my son-in-law pressed too hard on the gas pedal -NEEDS MORE POWER -- we drove the 6sp auto with FRONT wheel drive. We drove a top of the line model and it still had TOO MUCH HARD PLASTIC on the doors for trim -- surely the designers could make the door panel stuff a little softer.
I will NOT be buying one of these in the near future. For that matter, I won't buy any more cars for quite a while until I pay for 2 MMs!!!!
BTW -- word I hear (pls don't ask who/how) is the 3.5 L V-6 will NOT be here for a while -- if you need it this year or next it won't be ready; maybe 2 years from now.

GordonB

CBT
11-27-2004, 10:45 PM
All they need is a big wing on the back and an 8" fart can exhaust pipe and they should sell like crazy...

Mike Poore
11-28-2004, 08:18 AM
All they need is a big wing on the back and an 8" fart can exhaust pipe and they should sell like crazy...
NOW you're talking!:rofl:

It's like GM's Pontiac ad's of yore.

"We build excitement!"

Yeh, right. :D

Geo
11-30-2004, 06:09 PM
500/Montego/Freestyle =shared with Volvo
Fusion/Milan/Zephyr =shared with Mazda6

too bad

bigslim
11-30-2004, 06:53 PM
bigslim,
I am with you on theis here new Ford 500. My son-in-law drove it today. It handled well, brakes stopped well, ride was comfortable, but the engine was begging (i.e.screaming) for mercy when my son-in-law pressed too hard on the gas pedal -NEEDS MORE POWER -- we drove the 6sp auto with FRONT wheel drive. We drove a top of the line model and it still had TOO MUCH HARD PLASTIC on the doors for trim -- surely the designers could make the door panel stuff a little softer.
I will NOT be buying one of these in the near future. For that matter, I won't buy any more cars for quite a while until I pay for 2 MMs!!!!
BTW -- word I hear (pls don't ask who/how) is the 3.5 L V-6 will NOT be here for a while -- if you need it this year or next it won't be ready; maybe 2 years from now.

GordonB
That is sad to hear because this car really needs some more power. I could go for it as a second car if it had 275-300 hp.

jgc61sr2002
11-30-2004, 07:52 PM
Saw a 500 at the local Ford dealer today. Looked pretty good, I beleive it had 18" tires and a sticker of $ 30K.

jerrym3
12-13-2004, 01:37 PM
The worst commentary I can give this car is that I was waiting for a traffic light the other day and just happened to see the 500 emblem on the trunk of the car in front of me.

Otherwise, I wouldn't have given this car a second look; it just looked like so many other vehicles on the road today.

On the plus side, at least from the rear, it does bear a strong similarity to some Mercedes Benz models.

On the negative side, looks like a few Asian models also.

RF Overlord
12-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Rumor has it that the new V8 that was developed for Volvo's SUV will fit in it. It is a 4.4 liter V8 with 310 hp built by Yamaha.

OK, but remember the V8 that Yamahaha built for the Taurus SHO?...the one that the cam gears all fell off of?...and cost their owners beaucoup dollars because Ford refused to warranty them?

prchrman
12-13-2004, 02:32 PM
Ford 500 is about as desireable as a 1972 4 door straight 6 Maverick...as ugly as the Chry 300 is, I would take one hands down before the 500...saw one at the dealer that was changing my oil and it stickered for $28,000...I went into sticker shock...no way would I pay that much for a Focus on steriods...willie

bigslim
12-13-2004, 05:54 PM
OK, but remember the V8 that Yamahaha built for the Taurus SHO?...the one that the cam gears all fell off of?...and cost their owners beaucoup dollars because Ford refused to warranty them?
That may be true, but remember the sweet V6's they made for the earlier SHO's?