PDA

View Full Version : Any Of You Stationed At Vogelweh Airforce Base In Germany?

woaface
11-25-2004, 11:15 PM
Just wondering, knowing some numbers of you have been stationed in Germany.

My girlfriend's dad was in the Army and that's where she was born. Had the choice for dual citizenship but her parents chose for her to have American citizenship only.

So if any of you all were ever actually there, may very well have been the same time he was, what an interesting circle that could be! His last name is Alvarez.

Bluerauder
11-26-2004, 12:53 AM
Just wondering, knowing some numbers of you have been stationed in Germany.

My girlfriend's dad was in the Army and that's where she was born. Had the choice for dual citizenship but her parents chose for her to have American citizenship only.

So if any of you all were ever actually there, may very well have been the same time he was, what an interesting circle that could be! His last name is Alvarez.
I spent two tours in Germany from 1975-1978 and 1986-1989. Vogelweh is the US Army housing complex around Kaiserslautern, Germany. There was also a pretty large PX there as well. Ramstein Air Base is located nearby as is the Armed Forces Hospital at Landstuhl. She was probably born there at Landstuhl. My oldest son was born at Landstuhl in 1977. His birth certificate was issued by the US State Department as a "Certificate of a US Citizen born Abroad".

woaface
11-26-2004, 10:00 AM
Awesome! So did you ever meet a guy over there by the last name of Alvarez? Looked kind of white even though his last name might lead you to think otherwise. I'll get a rank and position in a few days. She was born in 1987.

I spent two tours in Germany from 1975-1978 and 1986-1989. Vogelweh is the US Army housing complex around Kaiserslautern, Germany. There was also a pretty large PX there as well. Ramstein Air Base is located nearby as is the Armed Forces Hospital at Landstuhl. She was probably born there at Landstuhl. My oldest son was born at Landstuhl in 1977. His birth certificate was issued by the US State Department as a "Certificate of a US Citizen born Abroad".

Bluerauder
11-26-2004, 04:15 PM
Awesome! So did you ever meet a guy over there by the last name of Alvarez? Looked kind of white even though his last name might lead you to think otherwise. I'll get a rank and position in a few days. She was born in 1987.
James, see PM. Can't say that I knew an Alvarez. Of course, there were about 198,000 of us there at the time.

Haggis
11-26-2004, 04:19 PM
Sorry James, I was in Berlin at that time period, '85 - '88. What was his MOS?

:bagpiper:

(Thanks Mary)

Petrograde
11-26-2004, 05:17 PM
I was stationed in Hanau from 97-99 I was in a Blackhawk unit there. I've never heard of Vogelweh Airforce Base. What city was it near?

Logan
11-26-2004, 05:22 PM
Just as a note, regardless of their decision at the time, she will always have the right to file for German Citizenship. Just as my children will always be able to file for Canadian Citizenship, though for different reasons.

woaface
11-26-2004, 06:53 PM
I think I stand corrected in the second post to this thread:)

I was stationed in Hanau from 97-99 I was in a Blackhawk unit there. I've never heard of Vogelweh Airforce Base. What city was it near?

merc406
11-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Like the name of that airbase, Vogel somethin weh hmm, means bird something...........

Petrograde
11-26-2004, 09:21 PM
Like the name of that airbase, Vogel somethin weh hmm, means bird something...........
I worked/lived on Fleigerhorst Kasern ... or Flying Horse Barracks

Interesting Useless Fact:
Fleigerhorst Kasern was once a Luftwaffe base. They used to flood the airfield with a foot of water when Allied patols would fly over. It didn't get bombed for quite some time. Afterall, it looked like a lake, not an airfield

There was also a network of underground hangers, appearently there are still ME-109's in them,... alas,.. the Army Corp of Engineers redirected the airfield flood gates and flooded all the hangers and tunnels sometime in the 1950's.

/end useless fact

Bluerauder
11-26-2004, 09:54 PM
I worked/lived on Fleigerhorst Kasern ... or Flying Horse Barracks
Sorry, Tom. Fliegerhorst just means "military airfield" or "air base". The german word for horse is "Pferde". The Luftwaffe had lots of Fliegerhorst(s) and they were typically identified by the word after ... such as Fliegerhorst Westen (West) or Fliegerhorst Osten (East) or some other such qualifier.

Civilian or commercial airports are Flugplatz or Flughafen.

Were you with the 1/501 (Apache) or 2/501 (Blackhawk) battalion?

Petrograde
11-26-2004, 10:00 PM
Sorry, Tom. Fliegerhorst just means "military airfield" or "air base".

Were you with the 1/501 (Apache) or 2/501 (Blackhawk) battalion?

holy crap! :lol: thanks for setting me straight Charlie! wow,.. My german never did get much past 'Ein Beir Bitte' :rolleyes:

I was assigned to Delta Co. 2/501st Aviation Regiment. I think I spent almost as much time in the Bosnia as I did in Germany! :o

Fastronald
11-27-2004, 08:45 AM
Well.............I was stationed in Darmstadt from March of 1972 until April of 1973.

Bluerauder
11-27-2004, 08:59 AM
Well.............I was stationed in Darmstadt from March of 1972 until April of 1973.
Did you ever make it to the "Frankenstein Castle" for Halloween?? Only units that I remember in Darmstadt were the 547th Engineers and the 32nd AADCOM.