PDA

View Full Version : Changed my oil today: filter is a messy PITA

FordNut
11-26-2004, 09:50 PM
First time I've changed the oil myself on this car. And this car is the first one I have ever let anybody else change the oil on but that's another story. I now realize what everybody is talking about when they comment about the location of the filter just above the rack and crossmember. No way I can see to keep from making a big mess with that setup. I'll be going with a remote filter soon like several others on here have done. Gotta see what the supercharger tubing routing looks like first, wouldn't want to put it in the way.

Petrograde
11-26-2004, 10:05 PM
I hear ya! for the record: I have never changed the oil in my Marauder. Hey FordNut, did ya turn the steering wheel all the way to the right? It helps... so I've seen! :P

Patrick
11-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Well that would answer a question I have never asked. I also do not change my own oil. But everytime I go to Express Lane they have me turn my wheels to the right. Know I know why. Thanks!

chicago_cop
11-26-2004, 10:28 PM
First time I've changed the oil myself on this car. And this car is the first one I have ever let anybody else change the oil on but that's another story. I now realize what everybody is talking about when they comment about the location of the filter just above the rack and crossmember. No way I can see to keep from making a big mess with that setup. I'll be going with a remote filter soon like several others on here have done. Gotta see what the supercharger tubing routing looks like first, wouldn't want to put it in the way.

Just to let you know that there is a technique to changing the filter. I have done it about 12 times. At times I have fought, and struggled with it. The lasts three times I have used the Fram filter with the rough end, and loosened it by hand, and do a U turn with the back end arround the front of the fan, and then turning it up and out. No turning wheels or anything like that. I only have to jack the car up to get the pan under it.

BillyGman
11-27-2004, 03:41 AM
The first two times I changed the oil on the Marauder I made a mess too, but I'm getting better at it. It just takes a few times to get it right I guess. BTW, I don't cut the front wheels at all either.

rayjay
11-27-2004, 04:46 AM
I did mine for the 1st time recently. What a PITA! getting the filter out is. No prob loosening it, but as said, getting it out of there is another story. I'll try chicago_cop's way next time -or- pull the intake tube and do it from the top. Been changing filters on Ford FWD 4 bangers so long I don't even get my hands dirty doing it. Sure can't say that for the MM...

jobrien8
11-27-2004, 05:14 AM
Found that the best way is to make a trough out of aluminum foil and place it under the filter. At work, we have been known to use the filter box (broke down) creased down the center. Also works on any horiziontal mounted filter.

TripleTransAm
11-27-2004, 07:18 AM
...pull the intake tube and do it from the top. ...

Interesting! Very interesting! Noted... and will try it this way next time (will take the opportunity to check the plugs while I'm at it, and clean out the throttle body housing). Thanks.

RoyLPita
11-27-2004, 09:49 AM
Carfixer uses an old license plate and shapes it to accomodate the area under the housing to get rid of the oil runoff. Judging by how it fits, it should keep things clean underneath.

RF Overlord
11-27-2004, 10:13 AM
The lasts three times I have used the Fram filter

Fram? FRAM?! Say it ain't so, Joe...say it ain't so!

Sactown
11-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Yea, just did mine again last night. Never seems to get cleaner. I just am getting better at cleaning up the parts that get coated with oil. Since I use ramps, I wouldn't feel comfortable turning the wheel, but I'm not sure how it would help things. I'll look closer next time I'm under there. The first time was the worst cause the filter was on way too tight. I was going to install the Amsoil bypass system but it isn't clear that Ford wouldn't hammer me on the warranty if something went bad in the motor. It is a beautiful system and common sense says that it is OK, but who knows what the ruling would be in such an event.

Zack
11-27-2004, 10:31 AM
I let the oil go everywhere when I take the filter off.
Then I spray everything with brake cleaner and it is cleaner than it was before the oil change.

Amsoil_Dealer
11-27-2004, 11:58 AM
I'll be going with a remote filter soon like several others on here have done. Gotta see what the supercharger tubing routing looks like first, wouldn't want to put it in the way.

Check out 1 Bad's set up;

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6311

I offer a nice discount on such kits to MM.net members. PM me for details.

Don