PDA

View Full Version : New visitor to my neighborhood

CRUZTAKER
12-04-2004, 09:50 PM
8:30 a.m. two mornings ago. Jessica tells me someones dog is loose in the neighbors yard.

By the time I can get the new D70 loaded with the 400mm lense, this animal has moved some 150 yds from his origanal position. I walk down to the driveway and focus between the trees and low and behold, it's a nice sized coyote.

It must has seen someone cause it took off running before I could snap a better shot.

I have noticed remains of rabbits in my yard over many months, but always assumed it was cats. I am not so happy about this fellow roaming our neighborhood, as he has virtually no predators.

I no longer allow my cat out until well after the sunrise, and he is now required to be in by 5:00 pm.

Any suggestions as to keeping this fellow out of my yard?

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/627coyote_Large_-med.jpg

hdwrench
12-04-2004, 09:53 PM
7.62x39 bullet

Petrograde
12-04-2004, 09:53 PM
5.56mm hollow point should do the trick! :uzi:

drgnrdr33
12-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Crossbow. Very accurate and silent.

merc
12-04-2004, 10:04 PM
Shotgun, shootum while you drink :beer:

CRUZTAKER
12-04-2004, 10:10 PM
The neighbor has a crossbow, but it is sighted for 50 and 100 meters. We are not allowed by law to discharge firearms in our community of 25,000.

I guess I'll call the city on monday.

Petrograde
12-04-2004, 10:15 PM
We are not allowed by law to discharge firearms in our community of 25,000.

They'll never hear it! (http://www.surefiresuppressors.com/#) :D

CRUZTAKER
12-04-2004, 10:25 PM
Uhhh, yeah....next raffle item.

$500 per ticket, 500 ticket minimum.....

And that wouldn't cover my bail....:baaa:

merc
12-04-2004, 10:47 PM
Sounds like a problem for the office of Home Land Security, Faith based and community initiatives. Now repeat after me Brother.

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than the enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit.

My rifle is human, even as I am human, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.

Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/government/fbci/

Haggis
12-04-2004, 11:00 PM
"This is my rifle this is my gun. This is for killing this is for fun."

teamrope
12-04-2004, 11:04 PM
We are not allowed by law to discharge firearms in our community of 25,000.
How far to the next house? the lowley 22 can travel up to 1 mile. If you have that kind of room, the shot will be herd, but they won't be able to pin point where it came from. Any closer, better stick to the cross bow.

I've also been told that coyote tastes a lot like chicken. :)

DL04
12-05-2004, 01:11 AM
trap'em then shoot'em

rayjay
12-05-2004, 01:27 AM
The coyote population in our area has grown dramatically in the past couple of years. Luckily I live in the woods and they are considered varmints. 7.62x39 military red dot works fine.

CRUZTAKER
12-05-2004, 09:40 AM
There is an average of 300 ft between houses, but I think I'll let this one go. I will however look into trapping, which is as equally illegal, but easier to get away with.:rolleyes:

If it isn't one thing it's another. This however is really intriguing to watch. There is a Red Tail Hawk that has taken a liking to the fact that I have some 20 bird feeders in the yard. Bird feeders = birds. Birds = food for the Hawk.

I watched his antics last Saturday, and filmed him on the digi-8. Really cool watching the hunt, the persue, and the final kill. I won't mess with him, as he is doing what comes natural. I am not happy that he is taking advantage of my graciousness.

Five minutes ago, I am on the back porch with the door propped, as I am typing away smoking a nice cigar. All of a suddun, mass commotion right at the door. Here that hawk chased a sparrow out of a barberry bush to the left of my door, and into a very large rhododendrun next to the door opening. I saw it happen within 3 feet. Incredible as the hawk scrambled through the large bush only to miss his prey.

It is quiet as an empty theatre out there.....he sits high a top one of my ornamental pines....waiting....watching.. ..

I'll post pictures next time I see the persue. It's truley awesome.

Patrick
12-05-2004, 09:51 AM
I've also been told that coyote tastes a lot like chicken. :)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

MarauderMark
12-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Drink alot of beer :beer: and urinate :bunny2: all over the place..

Petrograde
12-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Drink alot of beer :beer: and urinate :bunny2: all over the place..

hmm... is that why I have no coyotes around here? :P

Krytin
12-05-2004, 11:49 AM
hmm... is that why I have no coyotes around here? :P
I used to do that when I lived in northern New Hampshire - I didn't have bears in the door yard anymore after the first year! LOL

Agent M79
12-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Drink alot of beer :beer: and urinate :bunny2: all over the place..I am sure Bunny is thrilled that :bunny2: now is equated with the act of urinating! :rofl:

MM03MOK
12-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Drink alot of beer :beer: and urinate :bunny2: all over the place..I guess my friend Mark needs a thing or two shaken at him!!!!

FastMerc
12-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Hey Barry you are just having to much fun with critters in the yard.Well if you see him inthe road let the Marauder do the talking :D just kidding.Got a buddy on the police force,he can do the deadly deed for you.

Rob1559
12-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Next time it appears have the wife go out in the driveway and rev up the MM real good while you shot the offending animal. Claim the MM backfired. Then box up the coyote and UPS it to PETA.

MERCMAN
12-05-2004, 02:37 PM
Hey!! Heres an idea!! Barry's nature preserve!! Fill out some forms, get a government grant, sit back and watch your property value skyrocket. Perhaps add a deer or two, a badger, and a spotted owl!! :rofl:

MarauderMark
12-05-2004, 02:41 PM
I guess my friend Mark needs a thing or two shaken at him!!!!

I'm sorry bunny i never thought it would offend you .that was never my intention.i was laughing when it came to mind but just tell me and i will remove it promptly..

MM03MOK
12-05-2004, 02:46 PM
I'm sorry bunny i never thought it would offend you .that was never my intention.i was laughing when it came to mind but just tell me and i will remove it promptly..Just bustin' your chops!! ;)

Silver_04
12-05-2004, 02:48 PM
I recommend buying all of your neighbors a roadrunner and boxes and boxes of ACME products for Christmas. That should keep the coyote busy for a bit.

Really, I'd call animal control and see if they can do anything.

Bigdogjim
12-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Hey!! Heres an idea!! Barry's nature preserve!! Fill out some forms, get a government grant, sit back and watch your property value skyrocket. Perhaps add a deer or two, a badger, and a spotted owl!! :rofl:

Don't laugh it ain't that far fetched.................:rofl:

Bigdogjim
12-05-2004, 05:25 PM
I'm sorry bunny i never thought it would offend you .that was never my intention.i was laughing when it came to mind but just tell me and i will remove it promptly..

Now go sit in the corner for an hour:)

Don't you know NOT to mess with the BUNNY :help: :P

Bluerauder
12-05-2004, 05:26 PM
I guess my friend Mark needs a thing or two shaken at him!!!!
Oh no !!! Not the magic finger, again ?? :rofl:

Bigdogjim
12-05-2004, 05:29 PM
Oh no !!! Not the magic finger, again ?? :rofl:

When the finger shakes we'er all in trouble :rolleyes:

Joe Walsh
12-05-2004, 07:17 PM
There are Coyotes in Rock Creek Park which is in Washington D.C
People have been claiming to have seen them in D.C. for years but they were dismissed as "can't tell a stray dog from a coyote" stories...not anymore, as Park Rangers have now seen them regularly.
Local homeowners have lost some pets as well.

teamrope
12-05-2004, 08:02 PM
When the finger shakes we'er all in trouble :rolleyes:IT'S GOT ACCESS TO BUTTONS!!!! :D

CRUZTAKER
12-05-2004, 09:09 PM
OK....that's it....I'M MOVING!!!!!

Shot taken this evening. The coyote has met his match....so which one of you drove over to my place and cut this guy loose while I was napping.:D

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/627Tiger2_Large_-med.jpg

teamrope
12-05-2004, 10:28 PM
OK....that's it....I'M MOVING!!!!!

Shot taken this evening. The coyote has met his match....so which one of you drove over to my place and cut this guy loose while I was napping.:D

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/627Tiger2_Large_-med.jpg
....:wasntme: :tmi: :stooges:

teamrope
12-05-2004, 10:29 PM
Barry, your place must be happening...All the wild things want to hang out there. :)

Ken
12-06-2004, 11:31 AM
Someone hit a deer next to my driveway last night, It was gone within 20 minutes. All that remains is the blood stain.

Ken

CRUZTAKER
12-06-2004, 03:13 PM
I called the city. They tell me that the coyote is one of the benefits to living in such a rural community.:bs:

martyo
12-06-2004, 03:26 PM
I called the city. They tell me that the coyote is one of the benefits to living in such a rural community.:bs:

Are they edible?

TAF
12-06-2004, 03:39 PM
Are they edible?
A little "stringy" and mildly "gamey'...but yes. I prefer wild rabbit.

Mike Poore
12-06-2004, 03:43 PM
I called the city. They tell me that the coyote is one of the benefits to living in such a rural community.:bs:My answer is a custom '98 Mauser with a 26" Douglas Supreme in .270 Win. Bored 1 in 12, topped with a Leupold 6.5 - 20 VarXIII. It shoots 90gr Sierra HP bullets at about 3,500fps, and the muzzle blast is so loud it's hard to tell where it came from.
:gunfire:

My friend Henry shot a .243 out the bathroom window, and took several hundred ceramic tiles off the wall. He's standing in the rubble, choaking from the dust, and his wife, Lillian calls out, " Henry? What was that?" Oh .....nothing, dear.:rofl:

MarauderMark
12-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Are they edible?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: lol i'd rather eat @ waffle house..

Bluerauder
12-06-2004, 05:16 PM
My friend Henry shot a .243 out the bathroom window, and took several hundred ceramic tiles off the wall. He's standing in the rubble, choaking from the dust, and his wife, Lillian calls out, " Henry? What was that?" Oh .....nothing, dear.:rofl:
A clear case of the cure being worse than the condition. :rofl: That would be a great "Bloopers" video. :D

CRUZTAKER
12-06-2004, 07:32 PM
My friend Henry shot a .243 out the bathroom window, and took several hundred ceramic tiles off the wall......
Considering the age of my house.....I foresee major structural damage...:D

Very funny indeed!

I think the RENTAL CAT will get'er done.:P

BlackHole
12-06-2004, 07:50 PM
How many pets around your place Barry?????????? I know you can watch your cat but if theres not a lot Try Prestone in a dish. sweet poison and there goes your problem away forever. But if theres a lot of other peoples pets around don't do it and have someones pet get in it.

But its silent cheap and effective. Had a rabid Racoon out last year and done it this way so not to scare any of my Squrrils or Deer. About 3 days and no Racoon anywere.

Patrick
12-06-2004, 08:02 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: lol i'd rather eat @ waffle house..

Same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Patrick
12-06-2004, 08:05 PM
My answer is a custom '98 Mauser with a 26" Douglas Supreme in .270 Win. Bored 1 in 12, topped with a Leupold 6.5 - 20 VarXIII. It shoots 90gr Sierra HP bullets at about 3,500fps, and the muzzle blast is so loud it's hard to tell where it came from.
:gunfire:

Where's Billy at??? He would be inpressed!

martyo
12-06-2004, 08:22 PM
How many pets around your place Barry?????????? I know you can watch your cat but if theres not a lot Try Prestone in a dish. sweet poison and there goes your problem away forever. But if theres a lot of other peoples pets around don't do it and have someones pet get in it.

But its silent cheap and effective. Had a rabid Racoon out last year and done it this way so not to scare any of my Squrrils or Deer. About 3 days and no Racoon anywere.

Barry: Please, please, please do NOT do this ^^^^. One stray household pet gets into this stuff (they love it because it is sweet) and they will be dead. Renal failure. A seriously nasty way for a loved pet to die.

Thanks for listening. I know you will do the right thing here.

BlackHole
12-06-2004, 08:26 PM
Barry: Please, please, please do NOT do this ^^^^. One stray household pet gets into this stuff (they love it because it is sweet) and they will be dead. Renal failure. A seriously nasty way for a loved pet to die.

Thanks for listening. I know you will do the right thing here.

Why I said if theres a lot of pets don't do it.

martyo
12-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Why I said if theres a lot of pets don't do it.

What if a neighbor's pet gets loose? The antifreeze attracts animals. It is a bad idea.

teamrope
12-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Are they edible?
Like I said, they taste a lot like chicken! :)

Mike Poore
12-07-2004, 06:45 AM
What if a neighbor's pet gets loose? The antifreeze attracts animals. It is a bad idea.
I lost Seargent Pepper, my beloved Brit, that I had invested four years of training, love, and respect into, because someone left a bucket of antifreeze out. Please don't do it, Barry.

I'll come out with the .270 and do the "deed" for you. We can shoot from your bathroom window, um, are the wall tiles good and tight? :rofl:

jgc61sr2002
12-07-2004, 06:50 AM
Are they edible?

That's our Marty always thinking food. :D :D

martyo
12-07-2004, 06:52 AM
I lost Seargent Pepper, my beloved Brit, that I had invested four years of training, love, and respect into, because someone left a bucket of antifreeze out. Please don't do it, Barry.

Mike: Sorry to hear of your loss, but thanks for speaking up here.

Anti-freeze is a horrible way to lose a pet and, unfortunately, the pets don't know any better and are attracted to the sweet taste of the anti-freeze. My pups, Stanley and Stella, have been known to go on their own walk-abouts from time to time and if they came across anti-freeze it could kill them, even if it wasn't intended for them.

mpearce
12-07-2004, 07:01 AM
Call me a wuss, but I'm not a fan of killing any animal. Just keep your cats inside Barry. It's going to get cold soon anyway. If you take it out, the loss if it's presence might trigger more to come around investigating. My friend out in Roaming Shores had a coyote problem, killed it, and got 3 more as a present. With as much as you don't like it, it serves some purpose I'm sure. Some developer probably cut down it's home, so he's displaced, and will probably move on in time. Just my opinion.

-Mat

CRUZTAKER
12-07-2004, 03:04 PM
First of all, let me announce that I would NEVER use any type of poison. EVER!

Now to address Matt.....

Just keep your cats inside Barry. It's going to get cold soon anyway.-MatMatt, you've seen Leo. Your kidding right? HE'S A SNOW BENGAL! To keep him IN, in the winter would be his worst torture. I wouldn't be able to navigate the house or sleep at night if he didn't get his just due of sub zero temps and heavy snow.:P Leo is quite at home hunting in snow and water, I'll just have to trust his speed and ingenuity.
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/627running_leo-med.jpg
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/627LEO_January_30_2001-med.jpg

mpearce
12-07-2004, 03:32 PM
I'd be worried about my cats too, if they were outside. Fortunately, Clive and Morris are 24, and 22 lbs each...and live indoors all year round. Just get some fake cotton snow, and rubber mice, and have Leo play in Gages room!

-Mat

Petrograde
12-07-2004, 04:21 PM
Hey Barry,

Remember trip flares? A nice bright flash would scare the hell out of it.

Set 'em up around your perimeter! :P

Check an Army/Navy store?

teamrope
12-07-2004, 04:25 PM
Hey Barry,

Remember trip flares? A nice bright flash would scare the hell out of it.

Set 'em up around your perimeter! :P

Check an Army/Navy store?
And don't forget the artillary simulators. :)

Petrograde
12-07-2004, 04:35 PM
And don't forget the artillary simulators. :)

Hell yeah! :D

hmmm,... maybe a few claymores? :cool:

..or a squad of 'D Boys' with Ka-Bars should work!

CRUZTAKER
12-07-2004, 04:54 PM
mmmm...claymores...

I'm trained in claymore planting.:P

Bluerauder
12-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Hell yeah! :D

hmmm,... maybe a few claymores? :cool:

..or a squad of 'D Boys' with Ka-Bars should work!

Gunner .... HEAT. Coyote in the Open. 1,000 meters, 5 degrees left. Got 'em. Fire !!! On The Way ...........

That oughta do it nicely ...... :D

Haggis
12-07-2004, 05:24 PM
Are they edible?

Hmmm...Coyote steaks, coyote chops, filet of coyote and even coyote haggis. When's the BBQ Barry I am there.

Barry if you want it done quietly I will come there and do it for you nice a quiet, trust me.

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/e/redeemer.gif

teamrope
12-07-2004, 07:29 PM
Gunner .... HEAT. Coyote in the Open. 1,000 meters, 5 degrees left. Got 'em. Fire !!! On The Way ...........

That oughta do it nicely ...... :D
I bet that little sucker would be hard to hit with a TOW at that range...But think of the braggin rights! :)

FastMerc
12-08-2004, 07:52 AM
Barry use trip wires attatched to stuff that makes lots of noise,May be trigger your sound system for a 15 sec blast of sounds,that he may not like.Like the pics of the cat coool.:flamer: Just blast that wild dog.:D

Patrick
12-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Barry use trip wires attatched to stuff that makes lots of noise,May be trigger your sound system for a 15 sec blast of sounds,that he may not like.Like the pics of the cat coool.:flamer: Just blast that wild dog.:D

Use trip flares and flash bangs or artillry simulatiors. Even at that distance you would still get your niehbors mad!!! TOW try a M203, that would be even harder!

merc
12-08-2004, 10:44 AM
The Picture tells the story. My little buddy Wiskers.

Mike Poore
12-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Reminder to self: Don't never, EVER be drinking ANYTHING while reading one of Mark's posts! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Patrick
12-08-2004, 09:16 PM

Sorry but THATS funny!!!!!!!!!!

Krytin
12-09-2004, 03:46 PM
That is sooooo not right!