PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Motor Trend Car of the Year

Bluerauder
12-05-2004, 07:10 AM
Yep, they did it :( The January 2005 issue of Motor Trend has picked the Chrysler 300C as its Car of the Year. Here's an excerpt from the article.
"GLAM ROCKS Chrysler 300C .... With its flashy and fabulous new four-door, Chrysler evokes the vibrant American sedans of yesteryear --- and steals the show in a highly competitive Car of the Year field." Or another ..."Far exceeds its competition in style, fit, and finish, and daring. Ballsy, with a big payoff .... the rejuvenation of the great American full-size sedan". I could go on but I think I have to :puke:

It appears that Motor Trend is falling all over itself over this car. IMHO it is still rather ugly.

Comparisons list its 0-60 mph at 6.2 seconds and 1/4 mile as 14.5 @ 97.5 mph. The new Ford 500 and Mercury Montego were in the hunt but barely got mention ..... :rolleyes:

MarauderMark
12-05-2004, 07:25 AM
300C Heh not on my best day? :rolleyes:

ADE 1000
12-05-2004, 07:46 AM
I think the 300 was a good choice for Car of the Year. Although I think the new Mustang and the C6 Corvette were equally deserving.

I think DCX did a great thing by creating a new line of affordable RWD sedans with optional V-8 power. And say what you will about the style, at least the 300 goes its own way instead of being an oversized copy of a Passat like the Ford 500 is.

stevengerard
12-05-2004, 08:15 AM
Yeah, I'm glad to see the 3 American cars on the cover of MotorTrend, although Chrysler is half American. Like it or hate it the 300 presents itself and what I like is the Car of the Year is a car that the majority can afford at one option level or the other. I hate to see $50k+ cars win something like this as it means little to most. In this case I do think the Vette was the best of the 3 and the Mustang should have won as it is the best value with as many levels as the 300. But the 300 is "all new", I wa sactually quite surprised about what they said about the 500, nicer than I would have been

rayjay
12-05-2004, 09:22 AM
I liked the 300C, wife hated it. She never saw a MM before we picked her up. Then I hear "thats our car !?" :D :D :D Actually, no hon, thats MY car.:D

bigslim
12-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Yep, they did it :( The January 2005 issue of Motor Trend has picked the Chrysler 300C as its Car of the Year. Here's an excerpt from the article.
"GLAM ROCKS Chrysler 300C .... With its flashy and fabulous new four-door, Chrysler evokes the vibrant American sedans of yesteryear --- and steals the show in a highly competitive Car of the Year field." Or another ..."Far exceeds its competition in style, fit, and finish, and daring. Ballsy, with a big payoff .... the rejuvenation of the great American full-size sedan". I could go on but I think I have to :puke:

It appears that Motor Trend is falling all over itself over this car. IMHO it is still rather ugly.

Comparisons list its 0-60 mph at 6.2 seconds and 1/4 mile as 14.5 @ 97.5 mph. The new Ford 500 and Mercury Montego were in the hunt but barely got mention ..... :rolleyes:
It's funny that this is one of the publications that first tested the 300C and got a 13.9 1/4 mile run. Now all the publications are posting slower, real world numbers. When you look at the numbers 340hp and 390 poundfeet of torque, the quarter mile times (14.5) aren't that impressive now.

MarauderMark
12-05-2004, 10:23 AM
It's funny that this is one of the publications that first tested the 300C and got a 13.9 1/4 mile run. Now all the publications are posting slower, real world numbers. When you look at the numbers 340hp and 390 poundfeet of torque, the quarter mile times (14.5) aren't that impressive now.

Just about the same quarte mile numbers as the 275 hp Z28s..

DEFYANT
12-05-2004, 11:29 AM
I looked at the Ford 500. It was very bland. The 300C is "OK" but the front of it looks like a rolls nock off. A photo copy.....and the copy machine isnt working quite right!

Petrograde
12-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Well,.. I guess I'm in the minority here. I think the 300C looks sharp. ..and I really think that Hemi has some potential. I thought about getting one for my wife, we'll see.

ok,.. go ahead,.. flame away! :P

Krytin
12-05-2004, 11:53 AM
If they are running AWD - there is even more power loss to the drivetrain than in our RWD cars!

DEFYANT
12-05-2004, 12:11 PM
No flames here bub, I was looking hard at a Magnum before the MM. Frankly, if the price would have been right, we would be in an R/T today. Admittedly, the wagon style would have been better for the family life instead of the bottomless trunk. But the bottom line is the bottom line! And I refuse to pay the 32K sticker, and Dodge refused to negotiate the price. If you stood both cars side by side, at the same price, I'd still go for the MM. It's a Ford!

wm1964
12-05-2004, 04:39 PM
I dont care what they say about the 300C :bs: :bs: :bs: ITS JUST PLAIN UGLY!!!!

MarauderMark
12-05-2004, 05:18 PM
I think the 300C looks like an old gangster car .i like em as well .especially white.my son likes the magnums..Next year there suppose to be comming out with 300C-str8=425hp Hmmmm..

ncmm
12-05-2004, 05:31 PM
Motor Trend COTY :blah: 300C? for about a month or so. . . maybe. . .then something else will turn heads.

Mustang shouda won anyway, a classic reborn!

Mike Poore
12-05-2004, 05:33 PM
"GLAM ROCKS Chrysler 300C .... With its flashy and fabulous new four-door, Chrysler evokes the vibrant American sedans of yesteryear --- and steals the show in a highly competitive Car of the Year field."
:rolleyes:
I've heard, and believe the "award" is bought and paid for. If a car like that wins, then why wasn't the MM considered as 03's Car of the year? Take a look at the '05's. If you consider innovation, style, performance, and value, then the new Mustang GT blows the 300C away .....in every category. And looks? Who can say, with a straight face, the 300C is a better looking car than the new Mustang, inside, or out? :twocents:

bigslim
12-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Well,.. I guess I'm in the minority here. I think the 300C looks sharp. ..and I really think that Hemi has some potential. I thought about getting one for my wife, we'll see.

ok,.. go ahead,.. flame away! :P
Not much potential right now since all the aftermarket companies are having a hard time cracking the computer. Whipple gave up on developing a blower for it because of the computer codes. I myself like the 300C. It is a car that has a look all it's own and good power. The only bad thing is here in this city they are running all over the place.

Petrograde
12-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Not much potential right now since all the aftermarket companies are having a hard time cracking the computer. Whipple gave up on developing a blower for it because of the computer codes. I myself like the 300C. It is a car that has a look all it's own and good power. The only bad thing is here in this city they are running all over the place.

really?... wow,.. I hadn't heard that. I guess I'll have to wait a year or two! If I'm gonna get one, it's gonna be chipped! :burnout:

BlackHole
12-05-2004, 07:25 PM
really?... wow,.. I hadn't heard that. I guess I'll have to wait a year or two! If I'm gonna get one, it's gonna be chipped! :burnout:

Well Vortechs been waiting close to 3 years now for they'er 5.7 Hemi Ram set up and still no dice. So a chip might only come from Damilers AMG branch if even that. But I'm sure it well cost over $1500 just for it to. Knowing how much AMG stuff cost.

cruzer
12-05-2004, 08:54 PM
The Jan 2005 Consumer Reports has a section devoted to the "Large Sedans" covering the 300, 500 and Kia Amanti ???????? They must have actually tested the car---read it and fell real good about our Marauders---I don't think they ever drove one--sure would have been nice :(

AJAX
12-05-2004, 09:04 PM
I dont think chrysler is truthfull on there hp rating. a friend had to have on of those dakota rt 360 magnam it ran ok but it was just average. the automatic trans seemed to eat a lot of horse power averaged 12mpg.

TripleTransAm
12-05-2004, 09:17 PM
I've heard, and believe the "award" is bought and paid for. If a car like that wins, then why wasn't the MM considered as 03's Car of the year? Take a look at the '05's. If you consider innovation, style, performance, and value, then the new Mustang GT blows the 300C away .....in every category. And looks? Who can say, with a straight face, the 300C is a better looking car than the new Mustang, inside, or out? :twocents:

No flames intended, but I'd like to ask you about the points you bring up.

In what way (besides gorgeous styling) would the MM be deserving of Car of the Year? The drivetrain showed no significant innovation over anything that was previously available. The suspension... while it and the frame were tweaked in setup and material for 2003, did it really push the technological envelope in any way for 2003? (ie. others have done similar changes in the past). The styling was conservative and the package did not offer anything that set itself apart from the rest of the market, technologically speaking. In fact, technology was used to restrain it from its full potential, in the form of tranny programming and fuel maps that aimed to allow the car to even be brought to market. As much as I love the car, I certainly cannot in good conscience brag about any aspect of the car as being 'innovative'.

Similarly, besides harping on the all-too-common "retro-styling" trend, how does the new Mustang push the envelope? Value, yes. Performance, yes (although nothing stellar - the top '04s were faster than the top '05). Engine tech is still based on the same old family (3 valves per head, sure they probably help, but is it revolutionary? 300 hp... Been done before - our MMs have 302 hp). Transmission: nothing new there. Sure, the changing colors of the instrument markings are an interesting feature, so yes I'll give you that as far as innovation. But let's not expect much more for the price they'll be offering the car at.

Looks are obviously subjective... you ask who can honestly say with a straight face that a 300C is a better looking car than <insert car model name here>? Well, obviously quite a few people, as evidenced by sales - not all 300C owners must be looking on purpose for a car that they consider visually repulsive. I personally do not feel a great deal of love for the car's styling (although I'm neutral to the Magnum - its utility might sway me if my MM starts to fall apart anytime soon) but that's just me.

As for innovation: in today's high-$$ fuel situation, having the ability to shut down engine cylinders in a seamless fashion and still be able to pump out 340 hp when needed is innovation. Bucking the styling trends is innovation. Value? Can't say, I don't own one. Would I feel satisfied with the amount I'd pay for one? I do know that for the amount I paid for my MM, I am not satisfied with the build and component quality (we were not privy to the wondrous rebates and huge discounts from MSRP up here - with the exchange rate at the time, I ended up paying around $33000 US while you guys were enjoying circa-$26000 purchase prices - up here, it was "take it or leave it, it's a rare car, try and find it locally at a better price". Oh well).

And lastly, how different is the car from what's out there, in either the Marauder's or the 300C's case? When I see a 300C, I know what I'm seeing (I'm getting attuned to what differs it from a 300, although I suspect we don't have 3 trim levels in Canada as is the case in the US, cannot confirm though). I stepped out of my hotel this afternoon and my heart skipped a beat when I thought I spotted a Marauder in the adjacent parking lot - went closer and as I approached I noticed it was just a silver Grand Marquis with a badge-less grille (novel idea). The high curb obscured the lower part of the front bumper, which would have been an instant giveaway. And the most disheartening part was that as I approached the car and got to see the rest of it that was previously obscured by neighboring parked cars, not only did I spot the basic Grand Marquis wheels but the car had a vinyl covering over the rear half of the roof!

If the next generation Marauder (!) wants any chance at grabbing a Car of the Year award, it's gotta come into the ring with a truly distinct one-of-a-kind look, a powertrain with innovations that will inspire discussion around the water cooler, and maybe displaying a sense of pride from the manufacturer (through aggressive and innovative marketing) instead of being treated like the black sheep of the lineup.

jerrym3
12-06-2004, 07:35 AM
Saw a 300C on the way to work today that had an all mesh grille similar to the Jag SR look. Made the car look a lot more acceptable; almost Bentley-like.

Also had replacement wheels (nice) and an after market chrome add-on package (not so nice). For example, on each side of the rear plate was achrome piece; also chrome add-ons on the B pillar and a little piece on the C pillar.

I have to admit, the car (in dark metallic gray) did look good.

I'm getting to the point where the styling is, (IMHO) becoming acceptable.

MERCMAN
12-06-2004, 08:15 AM
Think there will be a site devoted to the 300c like this one? PROBABLY!!!
But I doubt if the members will be as dedicated to their cars as we are.

bigslim
12-06-2004, 09:47 AM
There already is a site. I belong there too. http://www.300cforums.com/index.php

Embassy
12-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Think there will be a site devoted to the 300c like this one? PROBABLY!!!
But I doubt if the members will be as dedicated to their cars as we are.
IMHO, I think fans of the 300C could be just as fanatic as we are towards are Panther Platform vehicles.

A lot of Mopar guys have been waiting and waiting for some sort of RWD V8 to emerge.

It will be interesting to see how the Dodge Charger will affect the 300C's buyer's market if and when the car is released.

Personally, I am waiting to see how durable the 300C is after several years of being on the road. The "newness" or attraction could wear off quick with the average consumer if they get to know their service mechanics on a first-name basis.

wsmylie
12-06-2004, 01:47 PM
I gotta agree with Triple TA... beauty is in eye of the beholder (subjective). I also agree that the MM was a bit over priced initially; I shopped for quite awhile and didn't buy an 04 till April when more/larger rebates kicked-in. Also I think we all have to agree that there isn't much that's truly earth shakingly innovative about our cars either, IMHO. That being said, I"ve mostly been a Mopar guy over past 40 years but had really been getting fed up with the Chrysler Corp "attitude" recently. After getting screwed by dealer and corporate on a warranty issue regarding my son's 2002 Dakota, I'd had enough. Bought the MM and made sure my local Mopar store knew the reason why; crappy customer service treatment at corporate level and indifferent attitude by dealership/service department. I made sure to tell them that my original plan had been to wait till summer/fall 04 and maybe purchase a hemi 300 or magnum. Now, I love the MM (so far after 9 months) and couldn't be happier with the way the dealership service people have treated me. They actually seem interested in the Marauder as a car...not just some sled that was brought in for service. The difference between the Dodge dealer's and the L/M service department's attitude is like night and day. My MM ownership experience has been enhanced by their treatment. Guess that may be why L/M has been scoring so highly in the customer satisfaction ratings of late. If I had waited and bought the Mopar I may have really liked the vehicle but would still have had to put up with dealing with Chrysler. MM was a good decision.

Mike Poore
12-06-2004, 02:34 PM
There already is a site. I belong there too. http://www.300cforums.com/index.php
I visited the sight, slim. Boy, those are a bunch of happy folks! Did you read about the shananigans some of those dealers are pulling? :rolleyes:

Eric91Z
12-06-2004, 02:41 PM
I, too, personally like the 300C and Magnum. I originally thought about a Magnum, but then decided (based on the wife's input) that we don't want a "station wagon" - no matter how cool it is. Then I thought about the 300C. Got to drive a buddy's 300C and really liked it, but actually like my 3 day test drive of a MM much better. It is more like me.

I agree - the MM really doesn't qualify as a COTH vehicle, but that does not make it any less of the vehicle that I want next. Shoot, I would probably take a CV or GM over a non-C 300. Plus, the MM has a great after market support at this point in the areas that I am more concerned about: handling and power. The 300C owners, as evidenced by the 300Cforum.com, they have to put money into 20+ inch wheels, different grills, and chrome accents. That's about it. Not the stuff I am into for my cars. I prefer handling and power upgrades (and tinted windows...).

Plus, after only being available for some 6 months or so, there already a ton of 300 models out there - including on the rental car lots. Now, there are also a lot of Panther platform vehicles out there (including a lot driving by an older clientele), but very few Marauders - especially in this neck of the woods. And I like that.

The 300C is a nice car and a nice move for Chrysler. And a respectable nomination for the COTY award. Congrats to Chrysler. I just wish FLM and even GM would stop making such boring cars. The 500 does nothing for me. And GM has nothing outside of the Cadillac family that I would probably buy, but they are out of my price range (I kind of like the new STS and definitely like the CTS-V). Both GM and FLM need to get back on the rear wheel drive platform in something other than trucks, SUV, and Town Car...

TripleTransAm
12-06-2004, 02:52 PM
After getting screwed by dealer and corporate on a warranty issue regarding my son's 2002 Dakota, I'd had enough.

That sucks, to be sure. So Chrysler corporate has screwballs working in the warranty issue. In my case, I got toasted big time by GM and a dealer on a warranty issue with my WS6 (noisy diff, I guess I'll live with it). I haven't had to complain about Ford warranty thus far (with the exception of the reluctance at giving me the updated part number for a head replacement last Fall)... so if Ford ever does end up selling me down the river, what North American manufacturer will be left to turn to?

Seems to me they're responsible for chasing away customers to the imports.

Someone on this site has a comment in their sig "the job you save may be your own". I propose North American manufacturers begin to follow a similar mantra: "the customer you screwed might have been your next new-car sale".

That being said, GM won't see another penny of my money in new car sales ever again, based on how I was treated after so many years of good relations with my dealer (interesting how all records of my WS6 were deleted when the dealership transferred my file from my dealership which was closing to another dealership owned by the same scumbag... and yet my long-out-of-warranty GTA files were kept fully intact...).

Bluerauder
12-06-2004, 05:32 PM
That being said, GM won't see another penny of my money in new car sales ever again....
My sentiments as well after a whole series of bad experiences with a 1989 Buick Regal 3.8 liter. That car was a problem from the get-go. Over the 3 years that I had the car, the computer module failed 3 times. One of these times was on I-95 South in Northern Virginia. All the dash lights came on -- Check Engine, Check Oil, Check Water, Phone Home, You're Screwed .... :mad: Fluid leaks aplenty ... oil, ATF, coolant. The final straw was when the door fell off when I opened it to go to work. My wife nearly fell over laughing ... too bad a camera wasn't handy. Come to find out from the dealer, the door was a known problem and under one of those "Secret Warranties" for defective hinges. :mad2: I have been a Ford-Lincoln-Mercury only man for the past 10 years. GM has got to show alot to make up for that experience. Come to think of it ... I never even really liked the color either. :D Some may say that I am being to hard on GM. To that I say ... :bs:

bigslim
12-06-2004, 05:35 PM
The problem with the Charger is that it too will have that computer that no one can crack. Also, their site does have complaints about service and defects on their cars. Lots of problems but I guess that is to be expected for a first year car. I have invited the President of the 300C Motor City chapter to a race day next year at one of the tracks. He said that will be fine. Can't wait for that. Maybe I can get the Impallas to come too and have a good old fashion rear-wheel-drive race day.

HotrodMerc
12-06-2004, 10:17 PM
My sentiments as well after a whole series of bad experiences with a 1989 Buick Regal 3.8 liter. That car was a problem from the get-go. Over the 3 years that I had the car, the computer module failed 3 times. One of these times was on I-95 South in Northern Virginia. All the dash lights came on -- Check Engine, Check Oil, Check Water, Phone Home, You're Screwed .... :mad: Fluid leaks aplenty ... oil, ATF, coolant. The final straw was when the door fell off when I opened it to go to work. My wife nearly fell over laughing ... too bad a camera wasn't handy. Come to find out from the dealer, the door was a known problem and under one of those "Secret Warranties" for defective hinges. :mad2: I have been a Ford-Lincoln-Mercury only man for the past 10 years. GM has got to show alot to make up for that experience. Come to think of it ... I never even really liked the color either. :D Some may say that I am being to hard on GM. To that I say ... :bs:
:bandit: You're not being too hard on GM or any mfr. that treats a customer like that. We have had similar experiences with GM, at least the dealers, on the '99 SSEi, though not as bad as your Regal, and same with my '98 F150 Lariat 4X4. I cuss Ford virtually every time I drive it, though i love the ride, interior, engine(though i would rather have the increased HP/Torque of '99s and up)and looks. Problems with the F150 have mostly been noises, though am on 3rd OD button (shift lever replacement) and now lever rattles, they wouldn't replace it on same part warranty as OD button, though it involves same parts, and 3rd coil pack on #4 cyl. My guess is you can get a bad vehicle from any big three, just luck of the draw, and none of them care about individual customers.
The answer i see to that problem is this: lemon laws, ones with enforceable "teeth". We won't be buying any new vehicle in OKLA. of any brand, after finding out about Arkansas' new lemon law when we bought the new MM in 3/04. Take it in with the same problem 3 times and they have to buy it back, at least as i understand it. The dealer has a Trilogied '03 that he bought from another dealer (not with the SC) who had a customer bring it in x3 because of a reported "brake problem". They guessed the customer just didn't want to pay for a new car. I drove it and brakes seemed fine (so did the shove in the back & my double-eared grin). I will say that the local FMCo. dealer, not where i bought the F150, has been as helpful as i think any dealer could be about the problems, even fixing two items in a 1 yr. "grace period" after official end of warranty period, but i'm still so :censor: mad at Ford i don't know what i'll do when i'm serious about getting another truck. Started to trade this one for an '02 or '03 when i got an itch an bought the MM, so put new tires on the truck an will put up with it another 2-3 yrs.
As few miles as my MM has, the few times i've driven it, it has several noises, some of which they fixed, some quit, and one is worse. Havn't had a chance to take it in, am trying to get more Xpel plastic, then Zano on it before driving. The LM dealer in Ark. has been very nice so far, however, and hopefully will cont.
LOOKS dept: I agree that Chrysler gets points for going they're own direction, they always have. But, i think the 300 is just as retro in inspiration as anything, just not necessarily early Chrysler in the appearance, as much as eary '50s Ferrari and Cad-Allard in its grill appearance. The rest of the body reminds me of the car that Little Orphan Annie's adopted rich father drove in the '50s-'60's comic strip: long, boxy and low green-house.

I think time is the best judge and seasoning that eventually brings a truly good car design to the top of the heap. Some of them grow on us, some don't. I like the front of the 300's more now than i did 6 mo. ago, still think the back is blah, but the MM back is a bit on the blah side. Better that than overdone though. :D

Factory HP/torque specs. on coming 300C hotrod, esp. with chassis and brake fortifications, will be very hard to ignore. Nevertheless, the MM is a very nice car, and i just would like to get mine done to where i'm ready to drive it. :beer:

Mike Poore
12-07-2004, 06:53 AM
The final straw was when the door fell off when I opened it to go to work. My wife nearly fell over laughing ... Some may say that I am being to hard on GM. To that I say ... :bs:
The DOOR fell OFF? REALLY?? The *$%# DOOR FELL OFF! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TripleTransAm
12-07-2004, 10:47 AM
So he got his doors blown off... happens to a lot of the folks I've raced with my WS6 in the past. *shrug*

:lol: :lol:

(moments like that, you wish every human being came equipped with a camera)

Bluerauder
12-07-2004, 02:02 PM
The DOOR fell OFF? REALLY?? The *$%# DOOR FELL OFF! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Well, maybe fell off is not the right word. The d@mn thing dropped into the street when the top hinge let go. It was kinda dangling on the bottom hinge. :D I just jammed the door back on, climbed in from the passenger side, and drove to the dealer. About halfway there, I happened to notice that the shoulder belt was anchored through the top of the door. Man, I disconnected it quick ... I had visions of the door falling off and me getting sucked into oncoming traffic. :rofl: Funny now -- but not at the time !!!!

When I walked into the service manager, I told him that the door of my car fell off. Matter of factly, he said "1989 Regal, right?" The bastiges knew all along that this was a problem. :mad: GM and I parted company shortly thereafter. EOS. :D

Rufustelestrat
01-20-2005, 06:23 PM
I think the 300 was a good choice for Car of the Year. Although I think the new Mustang and the C6 Corvette were equally deserving.

I think DCX did a great thing by creating a new line of affordable RWD sedans with optional V-8 power. And say what you will about the style, at least the 300 goes its own way instead of being an oversized copy of a Passat like the Ford 500 is.
No the 500 is simply the volvo s60 for ford:banana: :banana2:

Mike Poore
01-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Yep, they did it :( The January 2005 issue of Motor Trend has picked the Chrysler 300C as its Car of the Year.
That's a bought and paid for :bs: award. :mad2:
The new Ford Mustang is the hands down winner in any category you can name. Heratige, price, performance, style, .....:banned:

...mike