PDA

View Full Version : General Motors' Delusions

Embassy
12-06-2004, 12:26 PM
This is from Autoweek. (http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101351) Who’s afraid of Mustang?

Ford's new Mustang may be getting rave reviews, but a key competitor says it isn't worried. Chevrolet marketing director Jim Campbell says the bow-tie division can cover that segment with the four-cylinder, supercharged Cobalt SS and Monte Carlo. "The Monte Carlo is capturing part of that market," Campbell says, pointing out the coupe's success on the NASCAR circuit. :bs: :rolleyes:

TechHeavy
12-06-2004, 12:35 PM
This is from Autoweek. (http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101351) Who’s afraid of Mustang?

Ford's new Mustang may be getting rave reviews, but a key competitor says it isn't worried. Chevrolet marketing director Jim Campbell says the bow-tie division can cover that segment with the four-cylinder, supercharged Cobalt SS and Monte Carlo. "The Monte Carlo is capturing part of that market," Campbell says, pointing out the coupe's success on the NASCAR circuit. :bs: :rolleyes: I agree! What a crock! No one is going to want to spend that much money for an ugly little supercharged four-banger. Not when better options, (with real motors) will be available for the same money or less. And IMO the Monte Carlos are just plain ugly. Always thought that from the first time I saw the new body style.
Here are the specs for the Cobalt SS Supercharged: http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/chevrolet_cobalt_sssupercharge dcoupe_2005/16162/style_specs.html?refsrc=offnet work%2Fcpc%2FPI

Bradley G
12-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Thanks Embassy,

I Looked at your link and spotted a Link to some cool pics from 2004 Dreamwood Cruise "The Largest Car Event Of It's Kind!"Take a Lookie See!:cool:
Bradley G
P S HeY D a Ve Wheres my Dash Plaque?;) At least tell me who ordered them Pretty Please:lovies2:

DEFYANT
12-06-2004, 12:51 PM

Ford's new Mustang may be getting rave reviews, but a key competitor says it isn't worried. Chevrolet marketing director Jim Campbell says the bow-tie division can cover that segment with the four-cylinder, supercharged Cobalt SS and Monte Carlo. "The Monte Carlo is capturing part of that market," Campbell says, pointing out the coupe's success on the NASCAR circuit. :bs: :rolleyes:
:rofl: now thats funny

TripleTransAm
12-06-2004, 02:35 PM
Oh my God what are the people at GM smoking?

The Stang has an aura, a mystique, it's got HISTORY. So does the Monte Carlo... BUT... look at it now! There is NO way the Monte Carlo shares a customer base with a Mustang. Ever. Even the Mustang II is in a different market class altogether, if it was to be produced today!

Where in the WORLD do they find these marketing folks?

Mike Poore
12-06-2004, 02:39 PM
:rofl: now thats funny
No, :nono:...........THAT'S EXCITEMENT!!!!!! :rofl:

Dr Caleb
12-06-2004, 04:00 PM
Where in the WORLD do they find these marketing folks?

Over <a href='http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationm inister.com'>here.</a><p>

http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationm inister.com/

AJAX
12-06-2004, 05:03 PM
They better get on the ball. Not everyone wants a p/up. This is my opion but i read that gm makes more proffit on trucks than anything. I am cosidering buying a leftover 04 for a company car a v6 5sp can buy for 13,000 new. my company will reinburce me to drive it and when its 48 months old it will still have some resell because every mustang the ever made got recycled, some way even when the bottom all the way out. some kid will by a old mustang over a old tempo or cavalier celica etc. because its a american Icon. i hate that gm ditched there f body. all of there tooling was paid for i dont understand? They wanted that gto. My wife isnt a car person she is a style person. She said the gto looked like a rent a car . She is the one that drives the blackmobile.

Bigdogjim
12-06-2004, 05:26 PM
[color=blue] Who’s afraid of Mustang?

Well Car & Driver just pick the Mustang as the winner over the GTO:)

The GTO is a little faster with it's C6 Vette engine vs the 3V 4.6L.

It got to the looks department :P :P :P

Mustang is down right cool :burnout:

Mad4Macs
12-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Well Car & Driver just pick the Mustang as the winner over the GTO:)

The GTO is a little faster with it's C6 Vette engine vs the 3V 4.6L.

It got to the looks department :P :P :P

Mustang is down right cool :burnout:

Way too cool, really. That 'lil Ponycar can't do what I need a car to do (too small) but I actually FEARED being around it, I was so close to trading my MM in when I took a walk around one... and that feeling NEVER entered my mind after seeing a GM... well... anything!
'05 Mustangs are dangerous, folks. They're that good looking.

Mad4Macs
12-06-2004, 06:52 PM
Guys... tread softly here, there's a story that will not be told, but after 7 months of trying, Jan has said "Yes".
And yes, I might have this thread closed soon, as I'm so much in shock that I'm working the 2nd bottle of Vodka...

Bigdogjim
12-06-2004, 06:59 PM
Way too cool, really. That 'lil Ponycar can't do what I need a car to do (too small) but I actually FEARED being around it, I was so close to trading my MM in when I took a walk around one... and that feeling NEVER entered my mind after seeing a GM... well... anything!
'05 Mustangs are dangerous, folks. They're that good looking.

Numbers o-60.......5.2?..............1/4 mile 13.7....stock.

All for a 4.6L 3V no gear swap, no chip, no power adder.

I know the Mustang is lighter I am not comparing it to a Marauder:)

After will have fun with this one :burnout:

Silver_04
12-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Isn't there a bit of talk that the next generation Monte is going to be RWD and V8, kinda like the Mustang. That guy at GM better get his head out of his rear because it is quite shameful that Chevrolet division only has one V8 powered car...a car which isn't pratical for most people.

Mad4Macs
12-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Like I said. There might be some cross posting tonight :-)
Mustang=Cool
Jan=Loss of all brain functions.
Logan? Any moderators? Shoot me, please, just straighten out my posts
:-)

89VERT
12-06-2004, 09:49 PM
If Chevrolet is the self-proclaimed "Heartbeat of America" ,
then this patient needs serious bypass surgery .

Perhaps they should check to see if Ricardo Montalban is available .. maybe the Chevy has nice leather ... ?

Ross
12-08-2004, 11:29 AM
I look back fondly on the days when I owned my 1976 400 CID 4 barrel Monte Carlo. Wish they still made 'em like that. Sigh...

mercomatic
12-08-2004, 11:38 AM
'05 Mustangs are dangerous, folks. They're that good looking.All the main line car mags really go for the 'stang --looks, 330 hp, 25K. anyone driven one yet?

King Fubar
12-08-2004, 12:50 PM
I also heard somewhere that they were going to make a Retro Camaro to battle the Stang.....I'll have to look for it again.

Ross
12-08-2004, 12:59 PM
A guy at my church showed up Sunday with a new Mustang. The dealeship loaned it to him to drive to see if he liked it. It was SIX CYLINDER!!!!! I begged him not to buy one with only six! Some people!