PDA

View Full Version : Battery going south

FordNut
12-09-2004, 10:00 PM
The little green light ain't green anymore. More of an orange color. I reckon that is a sign it's time to start thinging about a replacement. Thinking about one of the new Optima batteries. Any comments?

teamrope
12-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Works great in my boat. Just bought one for my big pickup, just havn't put it in yet.

Petrograde
12-10-2004, 04:18 AM
When my battery died last thanksgiving, I tried an Optima. It wouldn't fit. I took it back and the parts dude said that was the closest size. :mad2:

Bradley G
12-10-2004, 05:13 AM
Hey FordNut,

I saw N40GL has an optima battery.The indicator eye only represents 1 of six cells in the battery.I would think a prorated credit toward a ford battery would save you a little $$.I got 9 years out of a Motorcraft battery in my old '86 F-250 W/ 460 It was my daily driver before I got Marauderitis!
Bradley G

The little green light ain't green anymore. More of an orange color. I reckon that is a sign it's time to start thinging about a replacement. Thinking about one of the new Optima batteries. Any comments?

Smokie
12-10-2004, 05:15 AM
After my repaint, where my car sat for about 3 1/2 weeks at the dealer, mine was yellow also. After some long highway cruises, green came back. Have you had a load on the battery, without the engine running ???

Petrograde
12-10-2004, 05:19 AM
...snip... Have you had a load on the battery, without the engine running ???...snip...

A car alarm will do it. my first battery barely lasted 2 years.

hmm,.. maybe it sat in a parts bin for a while as well. :rolleyes:

SouLRioT
12-10-2004, 05:41 AM
The battery is under warrenty, make the dealer replace it. Thats what happened to me.

FordNut
12-10-2004, 07:44 AM
The battery is under warrenty, make the dealer replace it. Thats what happened to me.
Didn't realize it would still be covered after 2 years and 41,000 miles. Maybe the ESP Premium covers it, but that has a $50 deductible. If I gotta pay that much, might as well upgrade.

Have you had a load on the battery, without the engine running ???
No load, I even drove it around for awhile and checked again, still no change back to green. But is still starts the car just fine. I just figure it's a matter of time 'til it won't start. Don't wanna be stranded!

A car alarm will do it.
No alarm.

SergntMac
12-10-2004, 07:59 AM
I'd like to upgrade to the Optima battery too, anyone got a work around for the fit? New battery tray?

FordNut
12-11-2004, 01:48 PM
I'd like to upgrade to the Optima battery too, anyone got a work around for the fit? New battery tray?
Not yet, but I'll figure something out.

BTW, I checked today and the ESP warranty does not cover the battery. The original 3/36 warranty does.

teamrope
12-11-2004, 02:04 PM
Relocating it to the trunk helps with weight distribution. :)

jgc61sr2002
12-11-2004, 04:28 PM

Many others including myself have had battery troubles. :( IMO there must have been a defective lot of batteries. But you will never get FMC to admit that. :censor:

FordNut
12-13-2004, 08:02 PM
New Optima battery installed. Group 34 Red Top. The one I got has both top and side terminals, but there are plastic plugs/covers on the side terminals. There is also a version with top terminals only and another with reversed terminal locations so make sure and get the right one. It came with some brackets that snap in place at the base and it fit the OEM battery tray and holddown perfectly. 800 CCA