PDA

View Full Version : Was at the store today...

marauder307
12-13-2004, 04:50 PM
...and suddenly saw something that made me gasp...and choke...and wheeze...and grab my chest in shock... :eek: :awe: :awe: :eek:

Was it Anna Nicole binging in the ice cream aisle?

No.

Was it another one of Martyo's Todd-bashing posts?

No.

Was it Marauder S/C#5/Menace/whatever he's calling himself this week taking his "hangar queen" of a car out for an actual breath of fresh air?

No...come on folks. EVERYBODY knows that'll never happen...

It was the January 2005 issue of Car and Driver. They've got a drive-off between the new Mustang and the 2005 GTO.

Now for the shocking part: They actually put the Mustang first! OH MY GOD...Everbody knows that the American automotive press hates American cars, and Ford in particular.

Here's a few gem quotes:

Pg. 48: "Second place might be the expected finish for what some cynics would call the Blunder from Down Under,..." "Two hood scoops protrude in hopes of giving a bit more snarl to the Goat's front end. Nice try. Imagine your aunt Clara penciling in some more angry eyebrows, and you get the idea. She might look a bit more volatile, but she's still your aunt." "...the GTO's profile still looks like a bloated Cavalier."

Oh My God.... could the American automotive press be giving Ford a break? I read on...

Pg. 49: "...the six-speed manual transmission is about as fun to use as that Soloflex collecting dust in your basement. Throws are long, rubbery, and high effort and drew universal criticism. Even the GTO's staunchest advocate here conceded that the shifter might be enough to keep him from spending the extra dough on the GTO." Wow...this thing MUST be a real turkey, if the shifter alone is enough to make a buyer NOT want it. "Worse yet were the foot pedals...it's nearly impossible to brake AND blip the throttle."

So what'd they say about the Mustang?

Lot of compliments, but the summation sentence is the best:

Pg. 52: "So, what was the Mustang's appeal? Well, we're suckers for a great body, and the Mustang looks a lot better than the GTO. Disparage the Mustang's '60s styling if you must, but get ready to face the reality that the GTO's banality is pure '90s. Furthermore, the Mustang wins because when you take it in, as a total package, the Ford makes better sense...That is the draw of the Mustang..."

I eventually steadied myself, and went on and bought the magazine. The writers at C&D musta come down off of whatever Oaxacan ditch weed they were smoking and realized what reality was.

I don't actually hate the GTO...they're alright cars. Don't actually look a thing like the real GTOs, but they're OK anyhow. I like the B-ville GXP better (SILENCE, BillyGMan!). But the new Mustangs have had me slobbering shamelessly, to the point where even Pavlov's dog is going "Dude...you gotta calm down...", ever since I first saw one. And the ongoing rumor of a supercharged MM in '07, while only a rumor and not even remotely confirmed, is enough to give me the barest shred of hope...C'mon, Mercury...let real sense rule!

woaface
12-13-2004, 05:00 PM
Ahh...the things that will make a grown boy of 17 quiver...:D

hitchhiker
12-13-2004, 05:08 PM

Elaine...?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mike Poore
12-13-2004, 05:09 PM
[QUOTE=marauder307]
Now for the shocking part: They actually put the Mustang first! OH MY GOD...Everbody knows that the American automotive press hates American cars, and Ford in particular.
QUOTE]

Great post, well done.:2thumbs: I'll pick up the new C&D, thanks for the heads up.:)

Hey, I bet Yates didn't have anything to do with that article, or at least any of the good stuff about Ford.:rolleyes:

Bluerauder
12-13-2004, 05:19 PM
...Pg. 52: "So, what was the Mustang's appeal? Well, we're suckers for a great body, and the Mustang looks a lot better than the GTO.
Zacktly .... and I didn't need to do an analysis to see that !!! :D

Ahh...the things that will make a grown boy of 17 quiver...

More than you can imagine .... :rofl:

MARAUDER S/C #5
12-13-2004, 05:53 PM
Was it Marauder S/C#5/Menace/whatever he's calling himself this week taking his "hangar queen" of a car out for an actual breath of fresh air?

No...come on folks. EVERYBODY knows that'll never happen...Ah....Fresh Air
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/2240burnout3.JPG

Maybe someday when your a big boy you'll be able to spin your tires to! :rolleyes:

MARAUDER S/C #5
12-13-2004, 05:55 PM

What this......
http://www.streetcarforums.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=192990

Is that you James ??????????

Bradley G
12-13-2004, 06:37 PM
And the Stang Has three more inches of leg roon for the driver!:thinker: :cuke: I'll have to give it the whole family test sometime.I sure do like they way it looks too!:rock:

Patrick
12-13-2004, 07:37 PM
What this......

You guys are making sure I dont ever eat are you!!
:fishslap: :laugh:

Sactown
12-13-2004, 10:43 PM
What this......

That is so wrong!

DEFYANT
12-14-2004, 12:20 AM
Pg. 49: "...the six-speed manual transmission is about as fun to use as that Soloflex collecting dust in your basement. Throws are long, rubbery, and high effort and drew universal criticism. Even the GTO's staunchest advocate here conceded that the shifter might be enough to keep him from spending the extra dough on the GTO." Wow...this thing MUST be a real turkey, if the shifter alone is enough to make a buyer NOT want it. "Worse yet were the foot pedals...it's nearly impossible to brake AND blip the throttle."

This is very true. I friend of mine just bought an 04 GTO w/5.7 engine. He stops by and after alittle chit chat, he tosses me the keys and says take it for a spin. It sounds OK and goes nice. But that shifter!! Talk about mushy. There is so much rubber in that thing, you could twist it almost a quater turn in either direction! First mod should be a short shifter, hell Pontiac should throw one in for free!

Mike Poore
12-15-2004, 10:07 AM

This is very true. I friend of mine just bought an 04 GTO w/5.7 engine. He stops by and after alittle chit chat, he tosses me the keys and says take it for a spin. It sounds OK and goes nice. But that shifter!! Talk about mushy. There is so much rubber in that thing, you could twist it almost a quater turn in either direction! First mod should be a short shifter, hell Pontiac should throw one in for free!
We use the Steeda Tri-Ax in our Mustangs. Hopefully they'll make one for the Poncho. Too bad, because the GTO could be a terrific car; but GM keeps trying to prove once again, even if you make it go fast, people ain't gonna buy a sh$t box..
:burn: