PDA

View Full Version : Racing question

Jaguar
12-15-2004, 04:59 PM
Yes I've searched and done my research! I see that the best results for the quarter mile are with OD and TC OFF.

What confuses me though is I keep reading about "the 1 to 2 shift." Are people actually manually shifting the car moving the shifter up from 1 to 2 or are they just refering to when the car automatically shifts up by itself while in regular drive? If I actually have to manually shift, so I start in 1 then once the RPM's start to get near the red, shift to 2 all with OD and TC off? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I've never been much of a racer.

Tallboy
12-15-2004, 05:11 PM
I leave mine in drive [o/d off] and let the trans shift itself. I don't have traction control.

Bradley G
12-15-2004, 05:16 PM
Supposedly there are no measureable gains by shifting manually.I got the word today from the man himself (I pm'ed Lidio and he says no advantage).I do feel there is a slight better throttleresponse at 7/8 throttle instead of pushing hard on the go pedal.But I might be :loco: mistaken
Bradley G

CRUZTAKER
12-15-2004, 05:38 PM
With a performance tune enhancing the shift pressures and rpm points, manually shifting is just plain silly at the track. Let the EEC and trans do their job.

Save the manual shifts for showing off on the street when a nice tire bark easily raises eyebrows of passerbys...:P

Smokie
12-15-2004, 05:44 PM
Yes I've searched and done my research! I see that the best results for the quarter mile are with OD and TC OFF.

What confuses me though is I keep reading about "the 1 to 2 shift." Are people actually manually shifting the car moving the shifter up from 1 to 2 or are they just refering to when the car automatically shifts up by itself while in regular drive? If I actually have to manually shift, so I start in 1 then once the RPM's start to get near the red, shift to 2 all with OD and TC off? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I've never been much of a racer.
The question is legit, manual shifting in our cars may be interesting. but in the 1320 at WOT it is much slower than the AUTO shift. You will run slower not faster.

DEFYANT
12-15-2004, 05:50 PM
I do feel there is a slight better throttleresponse at 7/8 throttle instead of pushing hard on the go pedal.But I might be :loco: mistaken
Bradley G
No sir, you are not mistaken. There is a thread somewhere about that. My car pulls stronger at around 3/4 throttle instead of WOT.

Mike Poore
12-15-2004, 06:02 PM

Ha! You guys think you know so much! I started out in 2nd with TC = off, O/D = off and turned the worse ET at the track that day, a blistering 17.4! Talk about a dope!

Next time it's gonna be TC = off, O/D = off shifter in "D" and try to start before the stupid green light on the tree's been on for more than a second. It's my goal to break into the 14's ...sort of ....stock :)

TripleTransAm
12-15-2004, 06:29 PM
Supposedly there are no measureable gains by shifting manually.I got the word today from the man himself (I pm'ed Lidio and he says no advantage).I do feel there is a slight better throttleresponse at 7/8 throttle instead of pushing hard on the go pedal.But I might be :loco: mistaken
Bradley G

Lidio's mistaken, unfortunately. I saw a marked improvement in 1/4 mile ET by manually shortshifting 2nd, both times I was at the track. I think I recall 5500 RPM shift points, but it's been over a year. Anyway, back to back, to and fro, there were repeated improvements when going the manual-shifting route. This is, of course, on a totally factory stock Marauder right down to the air filter.

I think it has to do with shift firmness and quickness. The manual 1-2 shift at 5000-5500 RPM is quicker than the factory 6000-ish upshift in D.

The better response at 7/8 might be a spark retard thing. Perhaps there is some knock that occurs at WOT that isn't seen at 7/8 and this holds the car back. I did notice better launches on my summer track outing when launching softer (ie. not just mashing the pedal). This, combined with the brutally improved launch in the colder October outing, leads me to believe that the low end is compromised by spark retard to a certain extent. The 3000 RPM power surge was MUCH more noticeable in the summer outing, whereas it was virtually undetectable in the colder October runs (ie. it was brutally powerful right off the line, as evidenced by way I'd bury this nicely modified CV SOHC with heads/cam... this, with a DOHC!).

MikesMerc
12-15-2004, 07:19 PM
Although you'll find a couple "one off" examples, and a few "personal experiences" to the contrary, by and large leaving the trans in drive will net you the best times. This is not supported by the opinions of the few (certainly not just mine), but the opinions of those that have made many many passes down the quarter mile in the marauder as well as other cars with the same trans with similar shift patterns.

DEFYANT
12-15-2004, 07:26 PM
I leave it in "D". Automatic trannys are more than capable to shift for me. And more acurate too probably. If you want to change the way it shifts, get a shift kit or new chip / pcm flash.

Krytin
12-15-2004, 07:37 PM
Lidio's mistaken, unfortunately. I saw a marked improvement in 1/4 mile ET by manually shortshifting 2nd, both times I was at the track. I think I recall 5500 RPM shift points, but it's been over a year. Anyway, back to back, to and fro, there were repeated improvements when going the manual-shifting route. This is, of course, on a totally factory stock Marauder right down to the air filter.

I think it has to do with shift firmness and quickness. The manual 1-2 shift at 5000-5500 RPM is quicker than the factory 6000-ish upshift in D.

The better response at 7/8 might be a spark retard thing. Perhaps there is some knock that occurs at WOT that isn't seen at 7/8 and this holds the car back. I did notice better launches on my summer track outing when launching softer (ie. not just mashing the pedal). This, combined with the brutally improved launch in the colder October outing, leads me to believe that the low end is compromised by spark retard to a certain extent. The 3000 RPM power surge was MUCH more noticeable in the summer outing, whereas it was virtually undetectable in the colder October runs (ie. it was brutally powerful right off the line, as evidenced by way I'd bury this nicely modified CV SOHC with heads/cam... this, with a DOHC!).

I agree - not to start a major argument. It's a matter of experience And preference. If you know your car well AND you KNOW what you're doing I believe you can attain at least as fast an ET and many times better ET's shifting manualy. Just based on my own experience in many cars over the years. "Rolling" into the throttle w/electronic fuel injection has also given me very favorable results - not just in the MM, but as far back as my '88 Bronco!

CBT
12-15-2004, 08:18 PM
I bring nothing to the table.... :lol:

Patrick
12-15-2004, 09:16 PM
I bring nothing to the table.... :lol:

Niether do I, but some great info. Maybe next time at the track will get rid of my title!!!
:lol: :lol: