PDA

View Full Version : 60 Years ago today....

Rob1559
12-16-2004, 02:39 PM
The Battle of the Bulge began. Iraq has problems but this was hell on earth. Rough figures here:
19,000 US KIA
Average about 500 KIA per day.
The worst winter in memory.
Low on ammo, food, clothing.
Thousands taken prisoner.
80,000 US casualties.

But in the long run the US Army defeated the German push and 4 months later won the war in Europe.

Thank you to the soldiers of WWII. I am still amazed of what they did when I watch my Band of Brothers DVD set.

If only we could fight the war in Iraq like General Patton fought in Europe we would have squashed these guys in days.

Just some random thoughts I had today.

jfclancy
12-16-2004, 02:51 PM
The Battle of the Bulge began. Iraq has problems but this was hell on earth. Rough figures here:
19,000 US KIA
80,000 US casualties.

But in the long run the US Army defeated the German push and 4 months later won the war in Europe.

Thank you to the soldiers of WWII. I am still amazed of what they did when I watch my Band of Brothers DVD set.

If only we could fight the war in Iraq like General Patton fought in Europe we would have squashed these guys in days.

Just some random thoughts I had today.

Err watch a little more of the history channel, we had some major problems after V/E day also. To ALL veterans from All conflicts. Y'all done good!! real GOOD!! IMHO

Joe Clancy

Marauder8
12-16-2004, 02:59 PM
Yes SIR, you are correct. My hat's off to you.

ParkRanger
12-16-2004, 03:05 PM
"NUTS"

:burnout:

FiveO
12-16-2004, 03:18 PM
"NUTS"

:burnout:
Ahhh...Bastogne.

I watch my BoB DVD's every couple months. What a wonderful mini series and a tribute to a great generation.

Bluerauder
12-16-2004, 04:25 PM
19,000 US KIA
80,000 US casualties.

I have visited the area after reading the book "The Damned Engineers" which is a history of the 291st Engineer Battalion during the Battle of the Bulge. The book has detailed maps and photos. When I was there, it was almost like stepping back into history. My travels took me the Spa/Forenchamps (the fuel depot --- now part of the Belgian Gran Prix circuit), Anbleve, Malmedy, Trois Pont, Stavelot, Loscheim Gap, then back up to Bastogne. The site of the Malmedy Massacre was the most overwhelming. There is a small cemetery there and the American flag :flag: is hoisted and lowered every day of the year. Awesome ..... thanks for the reminder. :2thumbs:

rayjay
12-16-2004, 07:31 PM
We now live in a far too politically correct world, where, if we did what is needed in Iraq to actually win the war, we'd be heckled from every corner of the world... The "greatest generation" went, kicked azz, took names and made the world a safer place for us. I too have my hat off to them. May God rest their souls.

Patrick
12-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Ahhh...Bastogne.

I watch my BoB DVD's every couple months. What a wonderful mini series and a tribute to a great generation.

I luv the Band of brothers DVD series. Amen to those soldiers!!