PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip USA

JerseyVics
12-18-2004, 06:23 PM
A lot of plans.... soooo little experience!

I want to go cross country, east to west, north and south... goal is to hit at least the 48 continental states in the least amount of time but with enough time spend to take some pix of America the beautiful.

Have you done this? Please share your stories, suggestions and pix: www.myroadtrip.net

thanks,
--Russ :banana2:

JerseyVics
12-25-2004, 03:50 PM
wow, don't all post replies all at once! geesh

--Russ

jgc61sr2002
12-25-2004, 05:09 PM
Russ - Check with Paul Casey, he made a trip similar to that. :D

NAVCHAP
12-25-2004, 06:20 PM
JV: Have driven from the northeast to the south, to the southwest, and to the west, and back also. Drove from San Diego to Indy and back for MV II. PM and let me know where you want to go. Pretty good chance you might enjoy doing one of the trips I've taken over the last 25 years. M/C, -kjs-

JerseyVics
12-25-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks John and Navchap!

I will be going on this road trip around June of 2007

I'm starting to plan things now to make sure I don't leave anything out, and if I do leave stuff out, I want to be able to have a bunch of alternative routes planned out based on circumstances of the trip that I'm not going to know until I hit the road.

I set up the board to get input from people, not to steal members but rather to keep the focus on the trip, otherwise this post and any other travel posts on car forums eventually get burried.

Again, if anyone wishes to share anything about their previous trips, Feel Free to do so on my board becuase thats what its there for... do you see what I mean?

thanks!

--Russ :beer:

PS. I don't even know what to ask for to get replies because I haven't ever done a road trip... the furthest south I've gone was Wilmington, NC, furthest west was Detroit, MI, furthest North was Toronto, ON... and somewhere on Long Island was the furthest east point.

snowbird
12-26-2004, 03:13 PM
A lot of plans.... soooo little experience!

I want to go cross country, east to west, north and south... goal is to hit at least the 48 continental states in the least amount of time but with enough time spend to take some pix of America the beautiful.

Have you done this? Please share your stories, suggestions and pix: www.myroadtrip.net (http://www.myroadtrip.net/)

thanks,
--Russ :banana2:I went a couple times down to Florida, twice near the Guatemala border in Mexico. Once in a Citroen DS21 (aka mid seventies) and once with a 30000 $ boosted and souped up Mustang GT in the late ninetees ( a race car in disguise with 850 lbs front spring and 450 lbs in the back). I used the whole Mexico as my own private race course. Went back up by the center states once and the other time by California to BC. Great trips to do. It depend with who you go with and at what age you do it. If you stay in the states, no real problem. The fun start when you go to Latin America. PM me for more specific question. But IMO, you should take out the "the least amount of time" off the equation to enjoy most of the trip. Plan to meet and exchange with people. There's a lot to learn in the different parts of the States.

Paul T. Casey
12-27-2004, 06:42 PM
Having trouble posting on your website, I'll try again later.

JerseyVics
12-27-2004, 06:56 PM
hey Paul I send you an e-mail reply... let me know what kind of trouble so I fix them asap.

snowbird, that sounds awesome! I have never been to florida or california so I have no clue what kind of suggestions to ask for... i really don't. At this stage of the planning I'm more of in the process of getting input, looking at people's suggestions and researching more about them.

at a later time closer to the trip I'll have a list made of all the places I absolutely must visit, some places that I should visit but don't have to spend too much time at, and other places that I can skip if necessary or if the weather doesn't cooperate. But that sort of thing is soooo far away.

for the next few month I'm going to be focusing a lot on the One Lap of America run, I'll have a mini-road trip of the eastern US, plus i'll get to spend the time in the company of some ford engineers and their terminator powered PI.

--Russ :D

Bigdogjim
12-27-2004, 07:15 PM
wow, don't all post replies all at once! geesh

--Russ

I was busy over Xmas:)

I have been cross country a few times.(6)

I have acually been in 49 states with a Tour Coach (bus):)

Spent 20 running the road! Over 2,000,000 miles. :P

Maybe we can hook up at meet in North Jersey and I'll give you some ideas.

It is one beautiful country................:):):)

JerseyVics
12-27-2004, 07:28 PM
you know there's a brand new hooters opening less than a mile from my job...

route 4 eastbound in hackensack, nj right across from the riverside square mall

we certainly should meet up

and I do remember you telling me last time we went to the hooters on long island how you used to drive a bus around, i can't believe I forgot that... lol short memory, thats why I launched my board, it helps me remember! oh yea and the reason i forgot was because I had hooters on my mind... lol

--Russ ;)

Embassy
12-27-2004, 07:31 PM
Russ, if you come through the Bluegrass State, let me know.

JerseyVics
12-27-2004, 07:43 PM
forgive the ignorace, which one's the bluegrass state?

how far is Milton, NC from ya? I'll be in the area May 4th'ish...

--Russ ;)

Embassy
12-27-2004, 07:59 PM
forgive the ignorace, which one's the bluegrass state?

how far is Milton, NC from ya? I'll be in the area May 4th'ish...

--Russ ;)
Bluegrass State = Kentucky

Milton, NC is about 500 miles from me.