PDA

View Full Version : Anybody "Drifting" the MM

bubba
12-18-2004, 11:28 PM
I think that burnouts are awesome and I like the posts and MM burnout video contest, but I think that drifting is pretty cool also. Has anyone out there in MM land done any drifting? :burn:

the_pack_rat
12-18-2004, 11:35 PM
No on the road drifting going on here.

But after a really long/busy day & a few more tasty beverages ...

There will be some armchair SWAYING going on here.

:drink::P :drink:

BillyGman
12-18-2004, 11:50 PM
I've decided to avoid drifting and doing dougnuts on the dry pavement w/my Marauder. The Marauder is a heavy car, and I've had heavy vehicles before that I've bent rims on doing burnouts around turns, and I don't want to chance that on my Marauder. I also have been told that doing burnouts around turns as well as performing dougnuts are murder on posi units that use clutches such as the limited slip rear ends in our cars do. Another thing specifically about doing dougnuts that I'm not particularly comfortable with is the fact that if you do a really hairy one, your oil can get pushed to one side of the oil pan, and that might starve your oil pump for a few seconds. NOT a good scenario for our engines.

Let's remember that most circle track cars have baffles in the oil pans, or dry sump oil pans to prevent the oil pump pick-up from getting starved from the centrifugal force. But getting back to the drifting question, I think that since I've bent rims before doing burnouts around turns, then I'm sure that drifting can do the same on a heavy car like the Marauder. And for that matter, I'm sure that it must also put a lot of extra stress on the wheel bearings of a heavy car too. So as for me, I'll pass.

the_pack_rat
12-19-2004, 12:10 AM
Billy,

When & where are the next burn-out vids for the Trilogy contest ?.

Ok ... maybe you should NOT say WHERE ... but just tell us when we can see them ON-line when it happens.

:D

BillyGman
12-19-2004, 12:22 AM
Billy,

When & where are the next burn-out vids for the Trilogy contest ?.

Ok ... maybe you should NOT say WHERE ... but just tell us when we can see them ON-line when it happens.

I've just completed it today. :banana2:

.......and it will be coming to a theatre near you soon......

I'm going to make sure that you're made aware of the first showing. ;)

BK_GrandMarquis
12-19-2004, 02:04 AM
I think that burnouts are awesome and I like the posts and MM burnout video contest, but I think that drifting is pretty cool also. Has anyone out there in MM land done any drifting? :burn:
I've seen and have a video of a Crown Vic drifting at the Bondurant school. It's a manual conversion of the CV. I don't think you would be able to control the throttle that well with any automatic to drift properly. I'll see if I have enough space to post it on my SuperFord page.

Patrick
12-19-2004, 07:23 AM

Oh Boy more Vids..........
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

wchain
12-19-2004, 07:39 AM
Oh Boy more Vids..........
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

I'll try to upload the video too. Its a Bob Bondurant "CobraVic" DOHC CVPI with a Clutch!

W :banana:

QWK SVT
12-19-2004, 01:50 PM
I've decided to avoid drifting and doing dougnuts on the dry pavement w/my Marauder. The Marauder is a heavy car, and I've had heavy vehicles before that I've bent rims on doing burnouts around turns, and I don't want to chance that on my Marauder. I also have been told that doing burnouts around turns as well as performing dougnuts are murder on posi units that use clutches such as the limited slip rear ends in our cars do. Another thing specifically about doing dougnuts that I'm not particularly comfortable with is the fact that if you do a really hairy one, your oil can get pushed to one side of the oil pan, and that might starve your oil pump for a few seconds. NOT a good scenario for our engines.

Let's remember that most circle track cars have baffles in the oil pans, or dry sump oil pans to prevent the oil pump pick-up from getting starved from the centrifugal force. But getting back to the drifting question, I think that since I've bent rims before doing burnouts around turns, then I'm sure that drifting can do the same on a heavy car like the Marauder. And for that matter, I'm sure that it must also put a lot of extra stress on the wheel bearings of a heavy car too. So as for me, I'll pass.
I have a friend that decided to have some fun with his '95 Impala SS, by smoking the tires, doing doughnuts, etc. End result: two completely thrashed wheels, and catastrophic rearend failure (haha - that just sounds funny).

He had to replace wheels, tires, the entire pumpkin and contents, and I think one of the axles (not 100% sure about that one)...

I don't see there being a whole lot of difference between the two vehicles, in terms of size, weight, weight transfer, and to a degree durability (correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like a fair assumption). It seems reasonable that with all this weight shifting around, if you get carried away something is gonna get hurt.

I'm not a Ford engineer, but I don't think these 4400lb cars were originally designed, with this type of use in mind;)

How not to drift video: click-click (http://www.superhonda.com/video/hownottodrift.mpeg)

woaface
12-19-2004, 02:04 PM
OH BOY! I'M EXCITED NOW!

Patrick
12-19-2004, 03:38 PM
How not to drift video: click-click (http://www.superhonda.com/video/hownottodrift.mpeg)

Would these be the individuals that also play with hand grenades???
:laugh:

RoyLPita
12-19-2004, 06:00 PM
I will gladly put on a set of CVPI rims with old Michelins for some MM to have a drifting good time in my neck of the woods. Any takers for the job???????

BK_GrandMarquis
12-19-2004, 08:02 PM
I've seen and have a video of a Crown Vic drifting at the Bondurant school. It's a manual conversion of the CV. I don't think you would be able to control the throttle that well with any automatic to drift properly. I'll see if I have enough space to post it on my SuperFord page.

I got it up on my site.

http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=2315&s=21901#content

QWK SVT
12-19-2004, 08:11 PM
I got it up on my site.

Pretty cool vid... See the fancy foot work going on with the pedals, there... Wow!!!:bows:

Patrick
12-19-2004, 09:07 PM
I got it up on my site.

Great vid thanks!!

THE_INTERCEPTOR
12-21-2004, 11:37 AM
Its a Bob Bondurant "CobraVic" DOHC CVPI with a Clutch!

W :banana:

Oh my Godddd!!!!!! I have to see that! :bows: :bows: :bows: :bows: :bows: :bows: :bows:

THE_INTERCEPTOR
12-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Oh my Godddd!!!!! I saw it! :bows: :bows: :bows: :bows: :bows: :bows:

hitchhiker
12-21-2004, 04:10 PM
Drifting is for losers in ricers!

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

hitchhiker
12-21-2004, 04:12 PM
OH BOY! I'M EXCITED NOW!

Which Senator propositioned you?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BillyGman
12-22-2004, 03:07 AM
Drifting is for losers in ricers!

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
I agree that it's really a ricer thang.....not my cup of tea. :puke:

Geo
12-23-2004, 05:50 AM

OK, the only reason I would buy a Marauder (or any RWD 4dr sedan 200inches or more) is to enjoy my fishtails. First and foremost, I've been initiating fishtails on my units way before this corny word called drifting came out.

4200lbs isn't that heavy; that's standard weight for a "Standard" car, actually light as Standards as Standards were almost 5000 lbs then. Remember Blues Brothers? Those were full-size Monacos/RoyalMonaco C-bodies that weighed much more and were much longer (which added to their oversteer envy) than the mid-sizers (approx 212inches length like the Marauder). The Blues Monaco fistailed very nicely. Remember there isn't much strategic weight pushing down on the rear axle as there is a light empty trunk right over it.

When I bought my Impala it was becuase I knew I could have her back end out regularly. I couldn't even take certain long wide turns or go up certian winding hills in the rain without the back end out swaying the journey into it (with brand new tires Comp T/As too). 'drove my girlfriend nuts and she almost didn't but her 95 Camaro Z28 when we were ordering it. I comforted her that her's would be much more stable as she would have hatchback glass and more body weight in the back ans she bought it and she didn't have any (major) problems.

I have been regularly fishtailing 1975-1978 Dodge Coronet/Monacos and 1975-1978 Plymouth Furys Pursuits, 1977-1979 Ford LTD II Interceptors, 1987-1989 Chevrolet Caprices as well and all are equal to the architecture of the 90's Impala/Caprices and 90's and 00's Marauder/Crown Vic.

These cars are happy fishtailing. My cars have never scored an axle problem yet. I change the gear oil regularly and fistails actually help move the oil around the bearings and spider gears more preventing a seizure. In fact, GM for a while was not supplyng proper gaskets for the rear axle with the proper number of lubricating holes and (well I bought FelPro for a while until they fixed the stupid design change back to normal) if I hadn;t fistailed my Impala SS on a regular basis in 1994 I would have contributed to premature bearing failure as most Caprice 9C1 police cars suffered.

Also when you fishtail in the rain, the safest mode to fly in, any stress is near zero as you are hydroplaning on a thin sheet of water thereby contributing minimal wear on tires and trust my my 255/50ZR17s aren't cheap. There isn;t a day I don't so a fishtail if it rains. It's the trademark of capable American built 200+inch sedan that shows it's might albeit even with a little oversteer around the turn. I do fishails with and without limited slip on these cars. Without is quite easy if you have a Stage II Shift Kit in the automatic. Simply downshift strategically around a turn and where you would normally hear a healthy chirp your unit will engage in a very nice slide (thereby creating a LOCKING scenario).

Yes I agree Posi units can blow clutch packs but only if you are spinning them in the snow at such a high rate of speed (such as over 60mph on the speedo). I had a buddy that did that to his 8.75" SureGrip that we installed in a 74 4dr Dart with a 340.

Bending rims would be a real charm. These cars are designed for Rock And Roll unlike most of all other new cars. Ah back in the day the abuse such cars could take. A fellow police officer that I knew in the RCMP would throw his 727A (HD) TorquFlite transmission in his Mopar Pursuit in reverse on the high way to break the backend out to do a brutally fast 180 degree U-turn to catch speeders. This isn't somethine I ever reccomend but testimony to how strong the All American ride was. Todays trannies aren't as strong now but anyway, like I said these cars were born off the assembly line to be HD. Something the Panthers can do still very well as they are a 1979 design. The day these full-frame cars stop priduction will be a very sad day but GM debuted the BelAir convertible concept car a few years ago with full-frame so there is still hope for after 2010 as thus far I doubt the 2007 RWD Zeta platform is full frame.

The baffled or a tricked out oil pan idea is a good one. I don't know if a few seconds of fishtail manouvers will suffer consequence on the engine's appetite for oil but why not have that feature if you ever rebuilt an engine for HD use. Remember using Synthetic oil will bond to the metal inside the engine so if there was any starvation things should be good and comfortable inside you baby's engine.

I think fishtailing is not for everyone but I have never owned and never will own a FWD car. I am 34 today and I say (for me) a fishtail a day keeps the doctor away. For me it's a spiritual thing. When I see a cop car I feast my eyes becuase in the back of my mind I think "fishtail monster".

Some Dodge cop cars had axle coolers too, now those were for such extremities I can only imagine the pounding of abuse those 9.25" would go through. I loved those diffs, I used to call them STOP SIGN axles becuase you would take a peek under the bumper of the cruiser and witness a STOP sign (hectagon) looking at you.

I also like how all 90's and 00's Panthes have chromy axle covers showing off the RWD jewel.

See, that's my point fishtails=RWD RWD=fishtails. even if you a) never do them and/or b) are not wanting to anymore, you know your car that you eloquently command down the road can will and you know of the passion (as Sgnt Mac put it once) that breathes an lurks underneath.

G

Bradley G
12-23-2004, 06:25 AM
Hey Geo,

I Knew there's somthing I Liked about you!:) Yea Guys!,What he said ^^

My new Boss was having a Moment last night:mad2: He can't take a Joke!So When I left the lot, I Got into the pedal To hear a little "passion"It was a whole five degrees out.She spun so hard through second even after a counter steer or two I had to get Off!I love two:burnout: do that!Thanks for the 411 Geo, I'll think of how I 'm Aiding in the lubrication of the rear driveline,every time I git sideways!I was weaned on the list above except camaro.This is the fastest car I have ever owned.And BY Far The Coolest:coolman:
Bradley G

hitchhiker
12-23-2004, 08:30 AM
Havin a little fun with the loose rear rear drive rearend is a lot different from the punk-a$$ drifting that the ricers do. IMHO.

RoyLPita
12-23-2004, 10:22 AM
I agree with Geo. Fishtailing is fun. I used to let the back end out of my 81 'Stang just for "practice".

I think the only way that I'll be able to fishtail my CV is to have 2 things done: a locking rear differential and the ABS/Traction control turned off.

Just my .02 and then some.

jjaguda
03-29-2005, 09:27 PM
I also have been told that doing burnouts around turns as well as performing dougnuts are murder on posi units that use clutches such as the limited slip rear ends in our cars do.
I had an '02 Mustang GT. Had to have the clutch pack rebuilt at 18K.

DEFYANT
03-30-2005, 12:01 AM
your oil can get pushed to one side of the oil pan, and that might starve your oil pump for a few seconds. NOT a good scenario for our engines.
This is very true.

While in EVOC training last week, we took several CVPIs out on the skid pad and had the noobs get the feeling of skidding and recovering the vehicle before wiping out. Basicly, if they controlled the car in the skid and brought it back, they did good. I guess you would call it drifting.

My point here is, I had on opportunity to ride with a few noobs and noticed the oil pressure gauge frequently dropped to zero!!!! As soon as the car settled down, oil pressure came right back.

Dark_Knight7096
03-31-2005, 12:54 PM
I guess you can say i drifted once. You know how all girlfriends/fiancees/wives have that ONE friend who is SO annoying and just increadibly obnoxious, well my fiancee, and THAT friend were in the car. It was about 11pm and we were the only car on the road and she started ripping into me about how big it was and how it can't do what her "really cool" boyfriends car can do and all this other stuff, i look at her and say i have beaten you boyfriend up and down in the 1320 before, what are you talking about? She says yea but you could never get this car to drift, he can drift his HYUNDAI <~~~~ i really shouldn't have even bothered to try and assert superiority here cause what's the point? I said "Oh yea?", turned the TCS off slammed the brakes to transfer the weight to the front, cut a hard right turn and slammed the gas, my rear went out like a champ, i countersteered and sailed around that corner nicely, all of a sudden i hear a scream from the back (loud mouth wasn't wearing her seatbelt) and i look in the rear veiw and she goes flying from the rear passenger to the rear drivers side, her feet are up in the air and she rights herself, and begins calling me every name in the book, i looked at her and said, "told you", and for the first time in her life, she didn't have anything to say. HAAAAA I loved it!!!!!!

MENINBLK
03-31-2005, 01:37 PM
Don't listen to him guys...

Dark_Knight7096 actually drifted TWICE...

At our Long Island meet, we all drifted around a U-Turn to get to Eisenhower park...

woaface
03-31-2005, 03:59 PM
1.) I believe drifting differs from fishtailing and smoking tires.

When you come out of, say a parking lot, and you smoke tires and go sideways, you're forcing the back end of the car to move at a higher rate of speed than the front, which is why it sweeps outwards.

Drifting is using the speed in which you've already built and causing the front end to slow down. So fishtailing and smoking tires is starting off from a set MPH and moving the back end quicker. Drifting is moving at speed and causing the front end to slow down more rapidly than the back, while putting power on the ground.

This is just from watching a lot of videos of both, and messing around with it myself, but even if my assesment is wrong, both are done different ways, and controlled only similarly.

While I find drifting boring and not indicitive of performance, therefore not any sort of sport, it is obviously harder then coming out of a parking lot and stabbing the gas and turning the wheel anything but straight.

And doesn't the new Z06 Corvette have an oil pump system that prevents the starvation of oil to the engine when the oil might be in a situation to be pushed to one side? Could a similar or custom made system be made for a Marauder?

shakes_26
03-31-2005, 04:33 PM
two enemies of drifting, weight and lack of torque, MM suffers both. When I say lack of torque, dont get me wrong, what I mean is, tractor pull, house towing, tree stump removing torque. You might do well with a super charger, but the weight is still an issue.

The wheelbase also makes her more difficult to toss about the corners, oh and a manual tranny would be better suited to the event as well. James also hit the oil sump issue, faster ratio steering, smaller rear tires/wheels, etc etc.

I suspect one of the supercharged MM could give it a respectable show with a good driver, but besides the wide open mouthed stares I doubt you'd be placing well in any drifting events. At least the sanctioned ones :0

just my .02 worth

Dark_Knight7096
03-31-2005, 07:03 PM
Don't listen to him guys...

Dark_Knight7096 actually drifted TWICE...

At our Long Island meet, we all drifted around a U-Turn to get to Eisenhower park...
Hey that could have been any black Marauder, it didn't have to be me:rolleyes:

Ok maybe it was, i really didn't consider that a drift though, in my opinion you have to be moving forward while doing it, not just fishtailing from a stop. I used to drift in my mustang quite often, i find it to be fun, sort of adrenaline pumping, i typically only do it at like 2 in the morning and they are few and far between, i'm not one of those jerks that always goes out and drives unsafely. I do it also for practical reasons, i know how to drift and practice every now and again because when it snows, there's nothing worse than getting into a slide and not knowing what to do. Yea that's it, that's why I drift sometimes, to be safe at other times:burnout: :laugh:

Yea i'm a dork

jgc61sr2002
03-31-2005, 07:20 PM
Hey that could have been any black Marauder, it didn't have to be me:rolleyes:

Ok maybe it was, i really didn't consider that a drift though, in my opinion you have to be moving forward while doing it, not just fishtailing from a stop. I used to drift in my mustang quite often, i find it to be fun, sort of adrenaline pumping, i typically only do it at like 2 in the morning and they are few and far between, i'm not one of those jerks that always goes out and drives unsafely. I do it also for practical reasons, i know how to drift and practice every now and again because when it snows, there's nothing worse than getting into a slide and not knowing what to do. Yea that's it, that's why I drift sometimes, to be safe at other times:burnout: a i'm a dork

It wasn't you. It was Ed with his black Marauder. I was right behind him. :D