PDA

View Full Version : Drivesoft

Donny Carlson
12-19-2004, 07:49 PM
I saw this today on Pimp My Ride, installed in a Scion. This is VERY interesting, being a complete, integrated system. Note the OBDCII interface.

from their website www.drivesoft.net (http://www.drivesoft.net)
http://www.drivesoft.net/thumbnails/DSCN0243.jpghttp://www.drivesoft.net/thumbnails/DSCN0521.jpghttp://www.drivesoft.net/thumbnails/MAIN1.jpghttp://www.drivesoft.net/thumbnails/XM%20RADIO.jpg

Drivesoft System Hardware Components
Note: Due to the many inquiries about the actual size of the system hardware and components, some dimensions and descriptions have been added below. Pictures of the Drivesoft System Hardware will also be added to the Image Galleries in the near future.

Standard Hardware Components for DFS (Drivesoft Driver Friendly Software)
Touch Screen LCD Monitor, 7” (size and mounting is typical of most 7" car audio LCD monitors)
Drivesoft CAC-10000 Unit with Driver Friendly Software – DFS
Drivesoft CAC-10000 Unit Dimensions are (11.5"W x 7.25"D x 2.75"H), Approximate Size of a 6 Disk CD Changer
FM/TV Tuner (included internally in the CAC-10000 Unit)
External Drive, DVD/CD
Wireless Infrared Remote Controller
Wireless or USB Keyboard/Mouse with RF Receiver
Remote Output Wire, for Amplifier Power-On
Note: Drivesoft Unit Operates 12Vpower and is Ignition Controlled
<LI>Note: INSTALLATION DOES NOT REQUIRE A POWER INVERTER

Optional Hardware Components for DFS (Drivesoft Driver Friendly Software) Touch Screen LCD Monitor, 8” (optional)(size and mounting is typical of most 8" car audio LCD monitors)
Touch Screen LCD Monitor, 10” (optional)(size and mounting is typical of most 10" car audio LCD monitors)
XMPCR Satellite Receiver (optional)
Ergonomic Rotary Push Button (optional)
External Drive, DVD/CD/CDR (optional)
External Drive, Storage Drive (optional)
OS running on 512MB Compact Flash (optional)
USB Flash Drive (optional)
GPS Receiver (optional)
Low Level Audio Output, Six Discrete Channels (optional)
WLAN Receiver (optional)
Car-Cam Video Camera (optional)
HSDC - Hidden Security Data Chip, Captured Images (optional)
<LI>AutoTap Diagnostic Tool (OBDCII Connectivity) (optional)

bigslim
12-19-2004, 09:07 PM
If I'm not mistaking I thing they can hook it up to a satellight for internet use too.

Donny Carlson
12-19-2004, 09:19 PM
If I'm not mistaking I thing they can hook it up to a satellight for internet use too.
MTV showed Internet access on the Scion, though I don't remember if it was satellite or WLAN. Thier website says a wireless ir keyboard and mouse will work with the drivesoft unit for programming and web surfing.

The screen doesn't necessarily need to be 7", though my guess is that's the recommended size for touch screen operations. In any event, this would require some fabrication and modifcation of an MM's dash.

Nobody may ever do this particular mod to an MM, but it is an interesting development. I can see the future of car electronics moving toward lots of touch screens, integrated functions. There may very well be something we could install with little or no modifications in a few years to replace the OEM head unit that will offer much of what drivesoft is offering.

SouLRioT
12-20-2004, 05:50 AM
When that episode first came out I did a post about it, I think someone that has a little deepper pockets than I can maybe get this done to a MM. On the drivesoft site they say they have an installer in the ATL. Hmmm I wonder who in the ATL area could get this done?

jspradii
12-20-2004, 06:55 PM
I can't understand why anyone would WANT to do this. You Can make a car TOO busy.

SouLRioT
12-20-2004, 07:01 PM
I can't understand why anyone would WANT to do this. You Can make a car TOO busy.

They have a little smaller screen than what is shown. I feel it looks perfect in the newer versions that they have shown on TV. I think this is the pinnacle of in-car electronics.

QWK SVT
12-20-2004, 09:01 PM
You can, and they DID...

I'm big on electronic toys, and things that go vrrroom, but this is a little too much, even for me. I think this can only look at home in a vehicle that has more LCD screens than seat belts, and bling-bling 24's with spinners...:rolleyes:

the_pack_rat
12-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Someone needs to start a show called N_O_R_M_A_L my ride.

A show where they take cars saddled down w/all this UN-necessary - distract the driver - spoil the passenger BS type stuff & make them more practical once again.

Amazing there are many states out there banning cell phone use while driving ... yet they keep coming up w/more & more crap for your car that can distract a person WAAAAAAAAAAY beyond what a cell phone could ever do.

Least I dont' feel so bad when they take an already HIDEOUS straight from the assembly line vehicle & do such things.

Scion = :puke:

And why do so many of todays high tech gadgets always look like childrens TOYS !?!?!?!?.

I remember when you used to be able to buy CONSERVATIVE looking high tech stuff that actually LOOKED like something an ADULT would buy.

If I see one more high prized cheesy plastic - PLATINUM colored - UN-necessary gizmo with MORE colors than a kids pair of sneakers I'm gonna :puke: .

I like high tech stuff & all ... but some of this stuff looks more like it belongs in a childs toy chest.

Oh yea ....

Lets not forget UN-doing all the butt-fugly interior & body work while were at it.

Sorry one of my long time coming multi-rants ... to each their own.

How about we start a fund for such a thing ?.

First order of business once the fund grows ... will be to DE-Hidi-ize that poor 442 that Foose butchered.

RESTORE the car to more OEM looking beauty using the MANY AVAILABLE REPRODUCTION RESTORATION parts out there. Sure bring the car's suspension more up to date - install a nice audio system - maybe even add a few creature comforts that weren't there before. But lose the hideous looking aftermarket seats - wheels & OVERKILL sound/entertainemnt system that occupies enough space to requiring it's own zip code(like gee who needs a trunk or space for a spare tire I might actually NEED to USE someday ? :rolleyes: ).

Ok so I'm VERY opinionated.

Not that I could care less about a new Toyota FourRunner(spelling ?) ... but I wanted to cringe at what they did to one of those on a Pimp My Ride episode. On a more positive note ... least they spared a 63 Ford Galaxie such fate by getting & doing up the new Toyota instead.

Gotta stop watching these types of shows ... but it's like the scene of a horrific accident ... you just have to stare.

</rant over>

Carry on.

lol

Eric