PDA

View Full Version : My New Toy

klmore
12-20-2004, 02:27 PM
I haven't managed to install the Kooks headers I've had sitting in my office floor forever, but never the less I found yet another way to take up some time.

I drove to Indiana this weekend and picked up my new toy. A 1968 Mustang GT California Special. It has a 289 2V with a four speed. Green with Green Interior and is very well optioned for a 68 model. It has a really bad red repaint, but is complete and has only minor rust.

It has been in a garage for the past 15 years and was only in the north for a few years before that. It spent most of it's time in L.A.

I've always wanted a Shelby Mustang and although it isn't a Shelby it will be fine for the time being. I have restored a 68 coupe and a 66 Fastback for some customers this year and now it is time for my own.

Mike Poore
12-20-2004, 02:38 PM
[QUOTE=klmore] A 1968 Mustang GT California Special. It has a 289 2V with a four speed. Green with Green Interior and is very well optioned for a 68 model. It has a really bad red repaint, but is complete and has only minor rust.
QUOTE]

WAY TO GO!!! Great find.

Other than being a VERY rare model you did yourself one better, because the 289 was replaced by the 302 in December '67, making yours ultra rare, even for a C/S Special. Now add the 4sp and other options :woohoo:

I LOVE this kind of story. :D

FiveO
12-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Wow!

Nice find...

Looks like it needs some work...but that is going to be one beautiful car.

Keep us posted :)

klmore
12-20-2004, 03:19 PM
WAY TO GO!!! Great find.

Other than being a VERY rare model you did yourself one better, because the 289 was replaced by the 302 in December '67, making yours ultra rare, even for a C/S Special. Now add the 4sp and other options :woohoo:

I LOVE this kind of story. :DHere is my complete list of options.

California Special
Four-Speed Manual
F70x14 Wide Oval Tires
White sidewall tires
Power Disk brakes
Power Steering
Selectaire - Air conditioner
AM Radio
Tinted Glass
Deluxe belts
Chrome styled steel wheels

Production date of March 13, 1968

SouLRioT
12-20-2004, 04:14 PM
I'm sure your going to make her look great.

CBT
12-20-2004, 06:44 PM
Those tail lights say it all: Special.

jspradii
12-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Needs a little work, eh Kelly?:beer: Should be a fun project!

MarauderMark
12-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Those tail lights say it all: Special.

Yea i like those tail lights ..Looks like some front end work .hows the engine does it run?Wasn't some of them made with the 390?also hows the interior?Good luck with it .it sure is a sweet piece.. :up:

klmore
12-20-2004, 08:22 PM
Needs a little work, eh Kelly?:beer: Should be a fun project!"Oh no. It'll buff right out." :rolleyes: (Planes, Trains, and Automobiles quote)

My employees laughed when I trailered it in, but it's fun to me. I don't plan on starting it any time soon, but I couldn't pass the deal up. I would say I will have it started some time in 06. I still have a Marauder to tend with.:P

Yea i like those tail lights ..Looks like some front end work .hows the engine does it run?Wasn't some of them made with the 390?also hows the interior?Good luck with it .it sure is a sweet piece.. :up:I actually hooked up a battery and some starting fluid in the carb and it fired right up. Other than a leaky header gasket it ran fine. I'm going to put some gas in it tomorrow and see how well the four speed works. I wish I could have found one with a 390, but after six months of shopping I didn't see one for sale. Some of them even came with a 428 CJ, but less than 20 were made and I've only heard of one.

jspradii
12-20-2004, 08:41 PM
If you're going to restore it to "original", then I'll bring by some Auto Restorer issues, as well as some Classic Hemmings. I think it'd be a blast to spend time working on a restoration like this. If you're going to restore it to performance, well........I'd like to help on that, too. It's nice you have a garage to do this in. I wish I did!:beer:

jspradii
12-20-2004, 08:43 PM
By the way: I've been looking for a '65-'69 Judge to restore. So far, I haven't found anything that would pass the rust test, let alone anything else. If anybody hears of one out there for sale, let me know. I can deal with anything but excessive (i.e. frame, or body debilitating) rust.

Joe Walsh
12-20-2004, 09:41 PM
klmore, I know a guy who has NOS "California Special" script badges in the original Ford boxes. I can check with him to see if he wants to part with them... Joe

Patrick
12-20-2004, 11:22 PM
Cant wait to see how it turns out!