PDA

View Full Version : Quality is Job #1. AKA Ford GT recalled.

Mad4Macs
12-20-2004, 04:23 PM
http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0412/20/autos-37905.htm
Gimmie a #$%@& break!
I mean... when you're doing something as important (and as HIGH PROFILE) as the GT, YOU WATCH AND OVERSEE the entire process!!!
The friggin' GT is NOT a Taurus or a ZX2. It's not a blessed mass production vehicle and there are NO excuses such as "One of our suppliers gave us faulty parts".
I tell you that Mercedes and Ferrari (and a dozen others) are laughing their azzes off over this gaff.

ncmm
12-20-2004, 04:36 PM
:alone: wonder what kind of loaner you get while they work on the GT?:mad2:

stevengerard
12-20-2004, 04:53 PM
unbelievable - that's a shame and to think how many folks already tried to test the 205 mph max speed. I know I would have.

SergntMac
12-20-2004, 04:55 PM
Ford will "pick up" the 111 GTs now in owner's hands...

I guess dropping 140K on a car will earn you some special treatment, eh?

gonzo50
12-20-2004, 04:57 PM
It's ashame that you can spend $140,000. 0n a sports car and then be told not to drive it because it's not safe to do so. :confused: :cheesed:

These cars are capable of speeds in excess of 190 mph........ :loco:

TripleTransAm
12-20-2004, 05:26 PM

Sable.

Or how about a Lincoln Mark LT / Blackwood?

Hack Goby
12-20-2004, 05:32 PM
You can bet all the new owners paid more than $140,000 what a smack in the eye for Ford.

Mike Poore
12-20-2004, 05:41 PM
Ford will "pick up" the 111 GTs now in owner's hands...
I guess dropping 140K on a car will earn you some special treatment, eh?
"If it cracks, it could cause the wheel to become unstable," :tantrum: Did I hear "UNSTABLE" What??? :eek: this car goes 205 mph!

Ford will "Pick up" NOT!
If it was my car, I'd have a garage as good as theirs, and that's where it would get fixed.

Krytin
12-20-2004, 06:03 PM
I hear that Mike - "You're not getting it back till I see the new part in hand" - and then I'd put it in myself!

Bluerauder
12-20-2004, 06:05 PM
"If it cracks, it could cause the wheel to become unstable" .
".... and that's a safety problem." Ya Think ???? :rolleyes: Sounds like they have some geniuses around there. Hey, I wonder if this manufacturer is the same one that was making the defective hinges for Buick Regals a while back.
============================== =========================
BillyGMan, I am sorry but you will just have to park your GT and not drive it until we can find a way to correct this deficiency. We are sure that you will understand. Sorry for the slight inconvenience.

Sincerely,
FoMoCo
============================== ==========================

Mad4Macs
12-20-2004, 06:06 PM
I'll say it again... what BURNS me is that they're (indirectly) laying blame on a part supplier. NO EXCUSE Ford! You should have walked this baby, hand over hand, through the ENTIRE PROCESS!
Maybe they did, though, and it was built at STAP... (sorry... see my Marauder QA posts).

CBT
12-20-2004, 06:41 PM
DANG! I was about to go test drive one! Not really, BUT I WOULD IF I COULD. :D

MENINBLK
12-20-2004, 06:44 PM
I know who discovered the defect and that's all I'm saying...

Marauderman
12-20-2004, 06:52 PM
...and who is gonna unlock Leno's building to get to his # 2 for his "pick up""....ya think Leno will just let a flat bed haul his away for repair----we need to dispatch NBC Shooter down their for that event--would love to see pics of that happening!!!!!!!!!

MENINBLK
12-20-2004, 06:57 PM
...and who is gonna unlock Leno's building to get to his # 2 for his "pick up""....ya think Leno will just let a flat bed haul his away for repair----we need to dispatch NBC Shooter down their for that event--would love to see pics of that happening!!!!!!!!!

Jay would probably have them come to his show and do the repair while he was taping the show,
and flashing back to the FORD Technician, to find out when the car would be ready so he could 'Test Drive' it.

Then he would show himself driving off to the track and probably wrecking it on turn 3... :rolleyes:

Donny Carlson
12-20-2004, 07:00 PM
I'll say it again... what BURNS me is that they're (indirectly) laying blame on a part supplier. NO EXCUSE Ford! You should have walked this baby, hand over hand, through the ENTIRE PROCESS!
Maybe they did, though, and it was built at STAP... (sorry... see my Marauder QA posts).
Actually, they are built under contract by Saleen.

Bigdogjim
12-20-2004, 07:54 PM

I can understand your thinking here.
But parts are parts.
Each and every part can not be tested! Not matter what the cost.
Ford will fix the problem.
How many "GT" owners do you really think ever crank up the speed?
I would be willing to bet even money most of the owners have never driven as fast as most Marauders owners here at this site:)
Still the problem needs to be corrected!

Blue03
12-21-2004, 12:59 AM
[QUOTE=Mad4Macs]http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0412/20/autos-37905.htm
Gimmie a #$%@& break!
I mean... QUOTE]

Lets see the article says they have recalled all 450 GT's made... Now I know its not the same and I'll never own a GT, but ... they only made made 328 Blue Marauders ...So ya think they will pick mine up when it has it's first recall??? Na me neither... Still, I'm ok with it :D

Geo
12-23-2004, 04:50 AM
picking them up is stupid, they can drive them into the dealer like everyone else or otherwise it looks like they really screwed up paying 140+Gs buying a lemon.

Anyway, let them pick them up 'cause it looks like they are saying "I'm sorry we're sorry oh so sorry ...about the LEMON!"

Sigh, I wonder what else is wrong with the car! Well, hopefuly all the bugs get worked out before the new Shelby GR1 comes out on the same frame!

GEO

PS I'm glad this wasn't a Mercury or we would have to make Mercury Lemoyne jokes (this was a car in the 60's)

Joe Walsh
12-23-2004, 07:22 PM
Ford GT....."Breaking new ground" (Usually the ground on the shoulder of the road when your suspension fails!)

Kwality is JOB #1

Silver_04
12-24-2004, 01:33 PM

Uh, well we have this really neat looking black Grand Marquis with big shiny 5 spoke wheels on it...will that work?

Chalk another up for the Blew Oval.

Glenn
12-24-2004, 05:41 PM
Thank goodness I do not have to worry about the control arms on my MM. They have been replaced with Metco arms - what a true work of art. Metco should have made the control arms for the GT they never would have had any problems.

I saw a silver GT at John Bleaky Ford in Atlanta. What a beautiful car. They were selling it for $240,000. But, I did buy the Ford GT coil covers.

Glenn

BillyGman
12-24-2004, 06:11 PM
I've heard people say that there have been Ferrari recalls as well as Lambo recalls also.But nobody talks about that. Why? Is it because those "supercars" are NOT American? I'm not an expert of either of those types of cars, so I cannot list details. But as far as the GT recall goes, I think what everyone is overlooking here is how fast the GT went fron concept car to production. I believe it was the fastest of all time. And I'm sure that has something to do with this. If any of you have seen the documentary on the making of the GT, perhaps you recall how rushed it seemed that the engineers were. eack one of them had some difficult deadlines to meet. So much so that many of them worked around the clock just to meet those deadlines.

That probably wasn't a good idea for Ford to rush the developement of the GT like that. And I'm not stating that it was justified that they did. But the fact is, that they indeed did rush things along, and I think because of that, it's unrealistic for anyone to expect the GT to be immune to recalls.

David Morton
12-24-2004, 07:48 PM
Billy's right. Any car that comes off it's first run is bound to have something wrong with it that gets through the quality control process. Almost everything on this car is new and I'm not suprised a bit that this one thing, even if it is safety related, got past the supplier quality check.

This ones not a big deal and certainly not deserving of a certain citrus fruit description. :P

Are we gonna blame Mercury if a tire blows up at 167 mph and kills somebody driving a Marauder? I don't think so.

RCSignals
12-25-2004, 03:47 PM
I'm always amused at threads like this and how hard people are on Ford.

Do you think none of the other cars in the same class have never had recalls? Think again.

GM just had another huge recall for some of it's products. All mini-vans with power side door built from the late '90s to present. I've seen very little comment on that anywhere.

This GT "problem" is obviously something that requires action, but from the description of the problem it could be the sort of thing that does not affect every vehicle. May only affect one. They however have to take care of them all.
It's also the kind of "problem" that is easy to see going undetected. Hopefully the supplier didn't know about it from the start.

At one time Ford always had three suppliers for each part, and one of those suppliers was always themselves.

BillyGman
12-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Do you think none of the other cars in the same class have never had recalls? Think again.EXACTLY. Very well spoken RC!!!

This GT "problem" is obviously something that requires action, but from the description of the problem it could be the sort of thing that does not affect every vehicle. May only affect one. They however have to take care of them all.
Absolutely....I agree. And in light of the point you've just made, I actually see the recall as a good thing. NOT a bad thing. Ford is being cautious here by recalling all of the GT's, despite what some of the anti-American car magazines might say about this. :rolleyes:

Joe Walsh
12-25-2004, 10:43 PM
Do you think none of the other cars in the same class have never had recalls? Think again.

GM just had another huge recall for some of it's products. All mini-vans with power side door built from the late '90s to present. I've seen very little comment on that anywhere.

It's also the kind of "problem" that is easy to see going undetected. Hopefully the supplier didn't know about it from the start.

At one time Ford always had three suppliers for each part, and one of those suppliers was always themselves.

There is a BIG difference in other manufacturer's recalls....They aren't on a $150,000 vehicle that is the 'Flagship' of the entire product line.

I'm hard on Ford because I LIKE Fords....I almost exclusively buy Fords...I own lots of Ford Stock.....BUT it seems to me that the last few years Ford has had their head up their A$$....I'm getting tired of their stupid mistakes and questionable marketing decisions. I'm waiting for them to 'come around' and start doing some things right....(Like the '05 Mustang).

BillyGman
12-25-2004, 10:48 PM
Joe, can it be that because you're such a Ford enthusiast, that you watch Ford much more closely than you do any other car manufacture? What I mean is, can it be possible that many other foreign as well as domestic car manufactures have been making the same blundering mistakes that Ford has been? I mean no sarcasm by these questions. Infact, I honestly don't know the answers to them since I don't follow many car manufactures that closely myself, since so few late model cars have come around that I actually like the looks and body styles of.:rolleyes:

Joe Walsh
12-25-2004, 11:01 PM
Joe, can it be that because you're such a Ford enthusiast, that you watch Ford much more closely than you do any other car manufacture? What I mean is, can it be possible that many other foreign as well as domestic car manufactures have been making the same blundering mistakes that Ford has been? I mean no sarcasm by these questions. Infact, I honestly don't know the answers to them since I don't follow many car manufactures that closely myself, since so few late model cars have come around that I actually like the looks and body styles of.:rolleyes:

There is some truth to that...I don't pay that much (hardly any) attention to a Toyota recall....I'm mean who cares if a Solara has an electric window recall...
Although I will say that I think that many of the foreign manufacturers seem to keep recalls 'off of the radar screen' better than the Big 3. I think that one reason is that the Big 3 FIGHT* recalls until they become a huge public relations nightmare.
(*not the case with the Ford GT, as they identified a problem and quickly did the right thing)
I agree with you about the lack of interesting new cars....but Hey...I'm a 'Gearhead' and if it doesn't have some HP under the hood.... :sleepy:

BillyGman
12-25-2004, 11:11 PM
There is some truth to that...I don't pay that much (hardly any) attention to a Toyota recall....I'm mean who cares if a Solara has an electric window recall...
Although I will say that I think that many of the foreign manufacturers seem to keep recalls 'off of the radar screen' better than the Big 3.Yes, but sometimes I wonder if it just seems that way because newspapers, news broadcasts, and especially some major car magazines are much quicker to call domestic recalls to attention than they are foreign car recalls. Again, this is merely speculative on my part. I think that one reason is that the Big 3 FIGHT* recalls until they become a huge public relations nightmare.
(*not the case with the Ford GT, as they identified a problem and quickly did the right thing)
I agree with you about the lack of interesting new cars....but Hey...I'm a 'Gearhead' and if it doesn't have some HP under the hood.... :sleepy:
Yep, I hear ya Joe. Infact, I might even be more picky, since before I can even bring myself to look at HP figures (and they DO matter to me as well) I have to like the body style that I'm seeing. And that computer generated jellybean shape of 90% of foreign and domestic cars these days just does NOT cut it for me. And the first example of a big dissappointment of a car that comes to my mind is the GTO. What a great engine that's been wasted on an UGLY car. But, I guess that's for another thread, and is a subject that's already been beaten to death here. ;)

Joe Walsh
12-25-2004, 11:21 PM
I think that the Press/News Media DO NOT jump all over foreign car recalls like they do for the Big 3 recalls. I'm sure that foreign car mfgs have their share of recalls...you just don't hear about them.
Speaking of the GTO, have you seen what Pontiac is doing for the '05 GTO...Thay are 'jazzing it up' with hood scoops & a more aggressive front fascia in an attempt to lose the generic jellybean look.

BillyGman
12-25-2004, 11:27 PM
Speaking of the GTO, have you seen what Pontiac is doing for the '05 GTO...Thay are 'jazzing it up' with hood scoops & a more aggressive front fascia in an attempt to lose the generic jellybean look.LOL....yeah, kinda like an old woman trying to look like she's in her 20's by wearing clothes geared towards teenagers. :rofl:

I don't mean to sound sexist, but that example is simply fresh in my mind since I happen to know of a woman like that. Anyway, IMO neither the look of the GTO nor that of the old woman looks very enticing to me despite how the actual BODY SHAPE itself is being hidden by all the fluff. ;)

Furthermore, when car manufactures overdo it with the spoilers, wings, air foils, ground effects, and non-functional hoodscoops, the cars end up looking gay anyway, or kind of like it should be driven by a little girl. IMO, that might as well put big "GTO" letter across the windshield, or across the doors (which will probably be their next step for that car).

Joe Walsh
12-25-2004, 11:33 PM
LOL....yeah, kinda like an old woman trying to look like she's in her 20's by wearing clothes geared towards teenagers. :rofl:

I don't mean to sound sexist, but that example is simply fresh in my mind since I happen to know of a woman like that. Anyway, IMO neither the look of the GTO nor that of the old woman looks very enticing to me despite how the actual BODY SHAPE itself is being hidden by all the fluff. ;)

Funny you mention that, as I was recently at a party and this woman in her mid 40s was wearing a micro-skirt that BARELY covered her butt. She had a nice pair of legs to show....BUT it just didn't look right for someone her age to wear a teeny bopper outfit. :hijack:.....Sorry!

BillyGman
12-25-2004, 11:40 PM
Funny you mention that, as I was recently at a party and this woman in her mid 40s was wearing a micro-skirt that BARELY covered her butt. She had a nice pair of legs to show....BUT it just didn't look right for someone her age to wear a teeny bopper outfit.LOL...well now I guess this thread is doomed to go downhill (with myself to blame) so i guess I'll just run with it.......I know exactly what you mean Joe. Infact, I also know of a 47 yearold woman who looks pretty darn good for her age, and for having had four kids, but her 11 year old, and 13 year old daughters are embarrassed to be around her (by their own admission) because of the fact that she also dresses like you've just described. And BTW, I happen to know that woman well. And all as she has is what there is to look at. you wouldn't want to ever be in the same room with her for longer than an hour, because there's absolutely nothing upstairs. And it would embarrass you to have her around your friends. She's that much of an airhead.She's very impressive until she opens her mouth to speak ....well now we've really drifted away from the Ford GT topic, uh? Please, anyone feel free to get me back on topic if you care to.:D

RCSignals
12-26-2004, 12:48 AM
I read that new nostril hood for the GTO will actually be an option, not standard

BillyGman
12-26-2004, 01:08 AM
I read that new nostril hood for the GTO will actually be an option, not standard
I dunno RC. :confused: ...the only thing that I do know is that it still looks like a cross between a Euro economy coupe, and a Honda to me. What little style it has is poor style regardless of what kind of hood they put on it IMO.

Silver_04
12-26-2004, 12:05 PM
Speaking of the GTO, have you seen what Pontiac is doing for the '05 GTO...Thay are 'jazzing it up' with hood scoops & a more aggressive front fascia in an attempt to lose the generic jellybean look.

Lest we forget Pontiac is also blessing the GTO with the LS2 engine bringing 50 more HP and torque to the table. Gotta like that way of thinking. They also put on a new rear bumper and now the exhaust exits the left and right rear corners instead of dual tips exiting just the left rear corner.

jgc61sr2002
12-26-2004, 12:14 PM

That is correct. The Ram Air hood when available will be optional.

BillyGman
12-26-2004, 12:18 PM
Lest we forget Pontiac is also blessing the GTO with the LS2 engine bringing 50 more HP and torque to the table. Gotta like that way of thinking. .
I luv that engine...but it ends there when it comes to the GTO.

Silver_04
12-26-2004, 12:23 PM
I luv that engine...but it ends there when it comes to the GTO.

LOL...I understand.

Geo
01-13-2005, 01:30 PM

yes I agree recalls are normal but for suspensions cracking like Easter Eggs?! in a highpriced exotic designed to be the one of the fastest cars around?! Makes me want to buy one tommorow. Imagine just what else, you know how the Towering Inferno was built (like a K-Car). This car should be an engineering marvel if you know what I mean. What if the body shell cracks next. Maybe Ford needs the tax write-offs I don't know.

BillyGman
01-13-2005, 02:12 PM
. What if the body shell cracks next. Maybe Ford needs the tax write-offs I don't know.....now that simply sounds like a stretch.

Paul T. Casey
01-13-2005, 02:56 PM
In a deliberate attempt to drag this thread back down to where it once was, I kind of like 40+ year old women in general, especially the ones who can cut it in a mini. :banana: My favorite hobby is a 40+ year old woman. :rolleyes:

Joe Walsh
01-13-2005, 06:45 PM
In a deliberate attempt to drag this thread back down to where it once was, I kind of like 40+ year old women in general, especially the ones who can cut it in a mini. :banana: My favorite hobby is a 40+ year old woman. :rolleyes:

All Right......lets keep this thread in the gutter....40+ yr old woman KNOW what they want, HOW to get it, and WHAT TO DO when they get it!!! ;) :D

chicago_cop
01-13-2005, 07:04 PM
http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0412/20/autos-37905.htm
Gimmie a #$%@& break!
I mean... when you're doing something as important (and as HIGH PROFILE) as the GT, YOU WATCH AND OVERSEE the entire process!!!
The friggin' GT is NOT a Taurus or a ZX2. It's not a blessed mass production vehicle and there are NO excuses such as "One of our suppliers gave us faulty parts".
I tell you that Mercedes and Ferrari (and a dozen others) are laughing their azzes off over this gaff.

No matter how much they cost. It's still a machine made with human hands.
One of the car magazines said that the Porsche was a flawless machine. He forgot to include the fact that this same car that was tested blew the rear seal, and the engine had to be pulled. My neighbor has a Benz. I was standing at the garage entrance one day, and saw her front bumper fall of, and she ran over it.
Such is life.

telson
01-13-2005, 07:24 PM
>it was built at STAP
Even if you didn't know already, the Detroit News article even stated that it's assembled in Wixom.

As for there being an unexpected issue on a part that's used on a low-volume, all-new vehicle platform... yes? And? Which aspect was the surprise?

We'd all like to have perfect quality, but it's not a reasonable expectation.