PDA

View Full Version : What other cars were you considering?

Eric91Z
12-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Just wondering what other cars people were considering when they ended up with their Marauder? Were you set on the Marauder only? Were you looking for a replacement and the Marauder was just one on the list?

I ask because I love the MM very much and do plan on getting one, but it is not the only one I have looked at. Looked at the 300C, the Acura TL, Cadillac STS, BMW 540i (used of course), and Crown Vic LX Sport. Here are the biggest reasons I want the MM over the others:

1) American full size sedan with V8 and rear wheen drive
2) Unique looks and "What is that" responses from others
3) Has some good aftermarket support with proven power and handling combinations
4) This website

I am actually a big fan of the '04 and newer Acura TL, but have a hard time hanging out at the website sometimes. And the 300C is about the same. Maybe because I am not in to the "BLING" thing and I really can't get in to the Import tuner market with some of the attitudes they have.

Oh, how about the rest of you?

Tallboy
12-21-2004, 01:26 PM
I was set on a Marauder only. I saw my first one in St. Charles, IL and was hooked. Having just dumped a boatload of cash into my Mustang, and having two other newer cars my wife and I drove, i had no intention of buying. I saw one on my local Ford dealer's lot, and stopped by to check out the interior, since I had never sat in one. I traded in my wife's car on the spot [I was driving her car that day, and, heck-it was paid for] and I had some splainin' to do to Jennifer when she got home and saw the MM in the garage. [She graciously agreed to drive my 01 Chevy from that day on]. I now owned my dream car. Had it safe and sound in my garage. I sat down, cracked a beer and lit an Ashton-with every intention of keeping her just as she was at that moment.

However...

At that precise moment in time, a man in Maryland was typing away at his keyboard..."Welcome to the collective...":)

Bluerauder
12-21-2004, 01:26 PM
Just wondering what other cars people were considering when they ended up with their Marauder?
Actually, I wasn't even planning to buy a car. Then 6 hours later, I was coming home in a Marauder. Here's the story ....

At the kitchen table on the morning of 4 October 2003, the wife says "So, are we going looking at cars today -- or what?" Seems she had had it with the '94 Thunderbird with the leaky moonroof (only leaked on her side). :D Then she says, "Why don't we go look at one of those Marauders that you and your son have been talking about for the past year." So I went out on the net and asked for quotes on MMs from 3 dealers and a Crown Vic LX Sport from 3 dealers. Only one came back with real numbers --- but on a Blue Marauder. Until that time, I wasn't aware that the Blue existed.

Unbeknownst to me, my son had coaxed my wife into sitting in a DTR a day or two earlier and she liked it. Enroute to the first dealer she says "It's about time that you get something that you really want and like !!!" :woohoo:

I looked at an '04 DTR at one dealer (I have not had good luck with red cars). Seems no one had a Black in stock. Test drove a light Ice Blue CV LX Sport and wasn't impressed. It was OK but seemed cheap/flimsy on the interior probably 'cause I had seen the DTR interior.

Finally, she says "Well, we might as well go and look at that Blue Marauder". We did. We both liked it immediately. I drove. She drove. Since I already had numbers to work with from this dealer, I just walked in and said make it $27,000 and its a deal. I was on my way home with a Blue MM in 45 minutes.

Could be that this was all a set-up ..... but I am the one driving the Marauder. :rofl:

Marauder386
12-21-2004, 01:47 PM
I had been driving a Pontywhack Bonneville SSEI for two years but wanted something in the Blue Oval Camp since that was my preference. Saw the Marauder in concept and at SEMA and knew that was the car. Didnt hurt that the Spousal Unit and Son went GaaGaa over it too. Just saved the $$$ up and waited to swoop in and snatch one up. Well...Mom and Son in MVA, Son killed, Marauder was justa pipedream. Well, bullcookies...got it and then found a second one. That one is a memorial to my boy...a garage queen. This Daily Driver has just coming up on 40k...got the OASIS from RoyLPita .... it had 35,500 on it but I was only the second owner...

:cool:

mcb26
12-21-2004, 02:03 PM
We wanted a comfortable car for travel, My F150 and wifes (gasp) Honda CRV were terible trip vehicles. I wanted rear wheel drive V8 American made. Looked at the Mach1, Lincoln LS, CV, Gm and Marauder. They didn't want to look for an 04 Marauder at the dealer, however they had a used 03 on the lot. The Mach1 was nice,but would get old on a trip with all the stuff we carried. Anyway the let me keep the Marauder for 48 hrs. My wife took one look and said get this one. Bought ALI (heavyweight champ, the greatest,ect...) the next day.

MM2004
12-21-2004, 02:07 PM
Hearing all the hype about the new MM back in '01 and desperately needing to get rid of my '89 GM as it was starting to nickle/dime me to death at 130k miles.
The MM was not due until the following year and wound up with an '01 GM LSE which is about a close to an MM as you can get (buckets, leather, console, duals, etc.)
Bought it and drove it for 3 years until my wife called from our L/M dealer saying an '03 MM was on the lot for sale. Found out for a few thouosand $'s more, a new MM could be had!
It took the dealer about one week to locate and deliver an '04 DTR which proudly can say it is mine! Uh. . . Ford Credit's, that is.
My dream car is now a reality! :banana2: :banana2: :banana2:

Patrick
12-21-2004, 02:36 PM
I had a 98 Mark VIII LSC and didnt want to get rid of it. Just needed more space and something newer. And Browseing Kelly Blue Book I saw a pic of the Marauder. Still prototype. I said if they make that, that would awsome........the rest is history!!!!!

Go Mifuni
12-21-2004, 02:46 PM
I was looking for something with some oomph that would be able to seat five and was leaning towards a pick-up because of the work I do around the house. I saw this car on a lot as I was driving by and THAT WAS IT! I remembered the show I saw on it about a year before and had to have it. The dealer sold it out from under me so I went on a hunt. I'm glad I didn't get that one because I realized later after I looked at another one that it was missing the sub box.

Marauder8
12-21-2004, 02:51 PM
WRX was my second choice............

Mike Poore
12-21-2004, 02:53 PM
I drive an 2002 F-150 Sport 4x4 with 5sp, and when I took out my left knee (ACL's a gonner) needed a roomy sedan with automatic. I was shopping for a CV Sport when Barb & John located the Silver Birch on a lot in Hanover, during a shopping raid, while I was home nursing my poor knee. They called on the cell, and were all excited because of the huge discount, ($10,000) and took lots of pictures. That made it a better deal than the best price I had gotten, so far on a Crown Vic Sport. This was an easy choice.

It was August and the car had been sitting on the lot since December. I called, first thing Monday Morning, made the deal over the phone, told 'em to put a sold sign on it, and picked it up that evening. It's the first Marauder I had ever seen, and knew absolutly nothing about the car, except for seeing that stupid drag race poster at a dealership in Chambersburg.

BTW, when I asked a sales "advisor" at Chambersburg, the day I saw the poster, he said they knew nothing about the cars, except it being a overpriced Gran Marquis, and that there would be none ordered unless a customer placed a special order with substantial down payment.

That's marketing 101, folks.

jgc61sr2002
12-21-2004, 03:05 PM
I had a 2000 GM Black with the handling package. :D When I saw the Marauder I had to have it. :up: Wasn't shopping an didn't need a new car as the GM only had 7K on the odometer.

LordVader
12-21-2004, 03:08 PM
:P Very similar to other stories here. I was in the market for a new/used car and saw a MM on local dealer's website, but it was sold. I had seen one in person a year earlier in San Antonio, but none since. I did a lot of homework and found this was a car that had collectible possibilities, was a V-8, rear wheel drive and could carry a few groceries and some luggage if needed. Ended up driving up to Tulsa, Ok - 258 miles one way to pick one up without taking one for a ride until I got there. I looked at the 300C, and thought about the Mustang for a second, but all things considered this is the car I really wanted. I intend to keep it a good long time and do some mods along the way and have fun while doing so!

:banana:

FiveO
12-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Nothing but the Marauder.

I loved my 99 SHO and had it set up exactly the way I wanted. I would have kept it.

I didn't test drive or research any other vehicle.

DEFYANT
12-21-2004, 03:37 PM
I was looking real hard at the Dogde Magnum R/T. They were being schmucks about the price. My wife and I began looking elsewhere. We looked at CV sport and the MM. She wasnt big on the MM cuz of the "old man" look. Then again, her taste in cars was always lacking. I always knew about the MM since I'm a Ford Mustang owner and mag. subscriber. We had the SUV and then the mini van. I really prefer not to drive the mini van. Plus we wanted something sporty, good on long trips and unique. The MM was a new car marked down alot! They were reasonable. I could have probably done better on the price but, I really like the car. From what I've seen here, others have done better, and I've done better than others so, I'm happy.

Eric91Z
12-21-2004, 05:12 PM
Defyant,

You looked at one of the other cars that I looked at. I liked the Magnum R/T, but the wife will not have a "station wagon" around (or a minivan for that matter). She also got to sit in my buddies 300C that I have driven and wasn't too impressed with that either. And she has never been in the Acura TL, although I really like that car and know it would last a long time as a daily driver (like my Honda Accord with 271,000 miles on it).

Then we had the Marauder for a weekend on a test drive. The wife really liked it and actually enjoyed driving it. I think she would be happy having that in the garage.

DEFYANT
12-21-2004, 05:19 PM
My wife liked he Magnum but now after two months of driving the MM around, she likes it. I saw here driving it like she ment it the other day.

Lowell
12-21-2004, 05:47 PM
There was no other vehicle to consider. If I explained in greater detail, it would be a twenty minute dissertation! Enjoy the grin!

Roger D
12-21-2004, 06:51 PM
I had a Chrysler 300c ordered - and I just got very tired of waiting week after "neverendingweek" for it to arrive. One night I hit on this Forum and with some very helpful advice and a bit of research, I was driving a brand new Trilogy Silver Marauder w/ gears, guages and Nitto DR's from Novi MI to CT...........

and I just love that 300C - best car I'll never buy.

Roger D.

NAVCHAP
12-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Not-so-short version, when looking for cars in 2002, in Okinawa driving a JDM RHD 93 Celica GT with 5 spd and 40k kms (25k mi) on it. Would have brought it back if it could have been imported.

Was going to need something to drive upon return to the states. There are great deals on cars for service members outside USA.

Cars wanted, two Europeans. V70R AWD was not yet in production, owned four other Volvos previously, great cars. M3 not discounted deep enough for my liking.

Domestic cars wanted, #1, SRT 10 "Viper power" pickup, not yet in production. #2, GTO not yet in production, loved Holdens back to the mid 70s. Hooked on them after several port stops down under.

#3, Corvette quotas were all gone, so could not purchase through military sales. #4 CTS "V spec" not yet in production.

Other ideas, Focus SVT seemed underpowered from stat sheets, and didn't want to buy a Mach 1 sight unseen.

Always liked GM/CV/TC panther platform cars, rented many over the years. This was the best option for me, even though I hadn't seen it in person. Built on a car I knew I could live with. Only thing that kept me from buying panther platform before was no standard shift.

One of my "former Marine" buddies in Okinawa who used to sell used cars off base started selling new cars on base. Married to Local National, trying to make it over there. Asked me if I would buy my car in April 2002 so he could make his bonus for the 20th car or harley he would sell that month.

MM was the only car that fit the bill at that time, decided to buy it and convert to stick. Didn't get stick done, but the rest is history.

Friend got his bonus, allowed him to have the down payment to build his house in Oki. Did a search and found Logan's site, got Dennis Reinhart to do my mods.

Waited for the blue after signing sales contract. Dennis picked up for me, started work, posted photos on site, took it to MV I while I was overseas. Brought it to Tower Shops so brothers could see it.

Drove it at Dennis Reinhart's after returning from the cruise. Really impressed.

Finally, a few months later, was able to send for it just before MV II. First trip in it, brother and I were thrilled. 5k miles with no problems.

Drive it regularly, runs and drives great. One of the most appreciated cars on base, gets lots of compliments.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the great topic. -kjs-

Bigdogjim
12-21-2004, 07:14 PM
Being a L&M Dealers son I knew about Marauder in the "pipeline" for some time. Last car I bought was 1985 T-Bird special edition, drove it till '92 oil leaks started(101,000 miles) wife could not take the smell. Bought my first F-150 then. Been driving pick-ups since early 92. Passed on Marauder in June of '02 because of price. I was the first in my area on a list by local dealer:) Finally in September I bought one. Still have a F-150 as daily driver:):):)
Marauders are fine for everyone except "Big Dog's" No head room? Otherwise love it.
Great sleeper....................... .........
Great "WTF" is it?..........................

stevengerard
12-21-2004, 07:37 PM
300C
CTS-V
M3
Lightning
Viper

Last two aren't functional enough as a business/family car. Like 300C but not as much as MM, CTS - too small and pricey, BMWs - not American, M3 too small. I'd take any of these cars if given to me.

hdwrench
12-21-2004, 07:45 PM
the only other car i was serious about buying was a 05 mustang GT... no more Z28, didnt like the GTO exterior. I saw the marauder at the auto shows for the last 2 years and thought it was bad@zz but it was out of my budget based on the msrp... as prices dropped and i realized the new mustangs would be a dime a dozen... i got mine for probably less than a 05 mustang gt,... especially when u consider many dealers are still marking them up

:beer:

Cobra25
12-21-2004, 08:18 PM
Concept car called The Fourty Niner by Ford. They never put it into production. Was hoping they would .Thats the only car I would consider over the Marauder.

ADE 1000
12-21-2004, 08:20 PM
I had always thought that Mercury should build a hot rod Grand Marquis and call it the Marauder. When they actually did it, I was pretty much dead set on buying it. However, I did still consider the following cars:

1. Cadillac DTS/STS - I like these cars a lot, but they are still FWD and I could only afford a used one for the same price as the MM.

2. Mustang Mach 1 - Great deals on these at the time, but way too cramped for my liking. Insurance rates were killer as well.

3 Jaguar XJR - I love the look and the performance. But a little too flashy and I was not sure of the reliability of used models. Besides, its English.

4. Lincoln LS - A nice tight handling car, but a little too cramped and a little too European looking for my taste.

5. Impala SS - Way too pricey on the used car market for what they are.

6. GMC Yukon Denali - What the hell does a single guy need a huge SUV for? I took the huge car instead. :cool4:

I would have strongly considered the CTS-V and GTO if they had been available at the time.

QWK SVT
12-21-2004, 09:52 PM
I thought about the Impala SS - I really like the 95-style, but too much dough for a 10-year old car...

Then looked at the new style Impala SS - FWD Killed it for me.

I started looking at the new F150's, and saw the Marauder sitting there, all sad without a home. I loved the car way back when, when I first saw it at the car show (before it hit the streets), but the price always kept me away. The price I picked it up for couldn't be beat, and I've been grinning, ever since :D

CBT
12-21-2004, 11:54 PM
Dodge 'Hemi-GTX' quad cab conversion from LA West, neon green, stunning. If they would have came down another 2 grand, I'd be driving it now.
Dodge Magnum R/T, black. About 4 grand out of my reach.
Black '03 Marauder, was about to drive a couple hunnerd miles and buy it when I found a Blue '03 only a few miles away and bought it instead, and threw my 1994 Cavalier in on the deal.
Still have: 2000 Chevy Venture
1977 Corvette

rookie1
12-22-2004, 06:08 AM
owning a '94 Impala SS(my car) and an Oldsmobile Aurora(her car), I was thinking about trying something a little different. I'm fortunate in that my wife has family members working for each of the big 3 entitling us to employee discounts on a variety of vehicles.
Believe it or not I was looking at the Chrysler Pacifica(something still draws me to this car, would be a kick ass golf trip with yer buds machine), the Dodge Magnum, and the Chrysler 300, I also looked at the CTS-v and the Lincoln LS.
I was absolutely in love my SS, it was a great vehicle and pefectly suited to my tastes.
We drove all the above models and the reduced the choices to the CTS-V and the Pacifica(I had the Marauder in mind all along but felt I needed to prove to the wife that I was willing to expand my horizons). The CTS got nixed next due to a smallish interior(the car goes like he!! though) and I couldn't commit to the Pacifica due to some cheesy features in the interior.
I took the wife to the only LM dealer for miles that would actually bring a loaded up black 04 MM in for us to test drive and sell it on "A" plan. 10 seconds after we drove the MM off the lot on the test drive she looks over and says "why did you waste all that time driving the other cars? You know this is the car you are going to buy."
Aside from a lack of low end grunt it is the perfect replacement for an SS. I have been happy ever since.

GA-Marauder
12-22-2004, 07:06 AM
Actually, I was looking for an SUV replacement, and had purchased one of the last 2004 Mercury Mountaineers. I had to bring it in for a quality defect (loose panel) the second day I had it, and I noticed a Marauder on the lot (DTR). I casually asked a salesman if it was still for sale, and he said no, it was a customer's car, but they did have one Black one left. I picked up my Mountaineer later that day, all the time thinking whether or not I wanted to let this opportunity pass me by (I always regretted not getting the Impala SS when it was around). Did some research that night, including this great site, and hardly slept planning my actions the next day. I contacted the sales manager, told him of my "buyer's regret", and asked him if, by chance, they had any Marauders left, and if they had submitted my registration paperwork yet. He said they had not submitted it, and yes, he had one left (Black, of course). I told him to put together some numbers for me, which he did. Needless to say, I returned my 2 day old Mountaineer and drove off a happy man in my new Marauder. :D :D :D Then I called my wife.:alone: Thought I would get :argue: , but no, she was :beatnik: about it. Anyway, 4,000 miles later, no regrets and having 2 tons of fun.:burnout:

PJR
12-22-2004, 08:44 AM
I was raised around cars, and because of that (?), buy a new car every 1.5 to 2 years. I just keep seeing the new & improved that I have to own! I have owned a number of American sports cars. (Z28, Mustang GT, Etc.) My taste has predominantly been for GM, growing up around Chevy's. But, that was before Chevy decided to drive me and people like me away from their products.

I purchased a used '95 Impala SS in '97. I loved that car. Never had a day of problem with it. Then I got this stupid idea in my head that I needed an SUV. Traded the SS in on a GMC Yukon. That lasted a year. I'm a car guy at heart. Traded the Yukon in on a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. (First time I purchased a car while on vacation. Try fitting all the luggage from a Yukon in a Grand Prix)

GTP proved to be too small. Being that I drive a CVPI at work and use one to instruct with on the driving track, I liked the idea of the Marauder. (Had been following them since introduced)

However, none of the dealers would deal! In '02 I purchased a new DTR CV Sport. Great car, but was always thinking about what I could do to make it more Marauder-like.

Because I had problems finding a deal, I traveled to Colorado (300 miles one way) to purchase a used '03 BB.

I plan on keeping my Marauder for quite some time. (Plus my wife has already bent my ear "You better not trade it in like the SS")

wm1964
12-22-2004, 09:11 AM
When I saw the MM prototype in 99 I knew I had to have one! When I first saw it on the lot 7/02 I just had to drive it. Took it for a drive with the wife who thought it was too "old man" for me, but I was hooked. I would not pay what they wanted and they just would not deal, as was the case with all of the dealerships in my area that had one. I continued looking on line at the dealers website, but nobody would come off the 30,000 mark, :mad2: so I patiently waited. My patients paid off in 1/04 when I purchased mine as a leftover. :D :D :D I do enjoy this car and the WTF is that comments I still get. This website has also added to my fun! :)

King Fubar
12-22-2004, 09:17 AM
I was going to hold out for an 05 Mustang GT but like it was said everybody and thier brother will own one and nobody owns a Marauder except for the proud few here. I like the fact that this is a limited edition car makes it that much more special.

Canadasvt
02-15-2005, 09:30 AM
I looked at the 2005 Mustang GT, 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra, Expedition, and the MM won out. Traded my SVT Focus and I am very happy with my decision. :)

seans
02-15-2005, 11:37 AM
I sold my 2000 Camaro SS Convertible and traded in a 2004 Grand Prix GTP to buy my Marauder because I wanted one soooo Baddd. The SS was nice but I couldn't take my dog and my wife in it at the same time so my wife was staying home alot:) .