PDA

View Full Version : Primo Valet Parking

rookie1
12-23-2004, 08:29 PM
Well, I'm meeting some clients for dinner at Maggiano's in Chicago last night where it was all of about 12 degrees and lightly snowing. I am running a little late and am hurried when I give the keys to my freshly waxed MM to the valet guy, I thought I heard him say "nice ride" but being in a hurry I just ran into the restaurant. I had a nice dinner with my customers and when we walk out onto Clark street I see my MM parked right in front of the restaurant a mere 2 spots forward from where I dropped it off. My customers all give the valets their tickets and we are waiting at least 10 minutes for their cars while I have started mine and turned on the heated seats. Finally the cars begin to come in and my customers are gone. I go up to the valet and ask him what took so long for the other cars and he said that they park them in a lot about a 1 1/2 blocks away. I asked if the MM had been in front since I dropped it off and he said "of course!" we keep all the good cars close.

way cool.

MarauderMark
12-23-2004, 08:39 PM
Heh these cars get more respect than Rodney... :D

MM2004
12-23-2004, 09:18 PM
That's a better scenario than my dealer keeping mine in the new car drive up area while in the shop. Everyone sees it and wants one!

At the gas station the other day a guy said "I love the red, that is bad ass!"

Great story rookie.

Well, I'm meeting some clients for dinner at Maggiano's in Chicago last night where it was all of about 12 degrees and lightly snowing. I am running a little late and am hurried when I give the keys to my freshly waxed MM to the valet guy, I thought I heard him say "nice ride" but being in a hurry I just ran into the restaurant. I had a nice dinner with my customers and when we walk out onto Clark street I see my MM parked right in front of the restaurant a mere 2 spots forward from where I dropped it off. My customers all give the valets their tickets and we are waiting at least 10 minutes for their cars while I have started mine and turned on the heated seats. Finally the cars begin to come in and my customers are gone. I go up to the valet and ask him what took so long for the other cars and he said that they park them in a lot about a 1 1/2 blocks away. I asked if the MM had been in front since I dropped it off and he said "of course!" we keep all the good cars close.

way cool.

hitchhiker
12-23-2004, 09:40 PM

way cool.

One of my part time jobs in college was doing valet parking in the city.

The Marauder would have received front row treatment then too!

:D

Patrick
12-23-2004, 10:12 PM

way cool.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

GA-Marauder
12-23-2004, 11:02 PM
My wife drives a Mercedes CLK 430, and we frequent Ruth's Chris Steakhouse here in Atlanta that has valet. We usually drive her car there, but recently drove my fairly new (October this year) MM to dinner last week. The valet commented immediatetly "nice ride", and then parked my baby right in front. I think the wife was a little jealous.:D :D :D

DEFYANT
12-24-2004, 01:34 AM
Hope you guys tipped well! I would, they deserved it!

rookie1
12-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Hope you guys tipped well! I would, they deserved it!

In dwntwn Chicago the cheapest parking garage is like $15 per hour and that's if you don't mind parking a mile from where you're going. The valet service at that restaurant is $10 for as long as it takes you to eat dinner.
I usually give the guy $20 but went I saw the MM up front(and it being the holiday season) I gave him $25 and that's still cheaper than it would cost to park it myself.

danbike
12-24-2004, 11:19 AM
Man, you guys and gals are amazing. I don't think I'd trust a valet car parker in Chicago with anything of value. The last time my son tried to park a Mustang GT at a Valet, the driver couldn't drive stick. I keep a small car for going into the city. A Focus. No one, not anyone would want to steal a Focus. Now our Marauder, that's another story.:beer:

Silver_04
12-24-2004, 01:40 PM
Gotta love it when they park your ride up close.

I never used valet until I moved near Atlanta...now I'm hooked. I don't worry nearly as much about door dings but visions of that Ferrari flying through Chicago in Ferris Bueller's Day Off do cross my mind from time to time.

stevengerard
12-24-2004, 02:52 PM
I rarely ever use valet, if I need to I ususally park the car in front, slap the guy a 10 or 20 right off the bat and taker the keys with me. THough the other day I wnet to Carlucci's near O'hare no place to park but with Valet, samething, car was left in front with out me asking - when I came out the guy asked me if I had a "Corvette: engine in it.

Moral of this thread, go to Italian restaurants - we have great taste in cars

GA-Marauder
12-24-2004, 10:37 PM
Gotta love it when they park your ride up close.

I never used valet until I moved near Atlanta...now I'm hooked. I don't worry nearly as much about door dings but visions of that Ferrari flying through Chicago in Ferris Bueller's Day Off do cross my mind from time to time.
Just a couple of weeks ago, we went to a business function at the Hyatt downtown ATL, and I valet parked my MM (no other option). When I picked it up a few hours later, I didn't notice until about halfway home that it had magically gained about 40 miles on the odometer. :confused: Guess it must have gone for a joyride, trapping the poor valet inside.:eek: Anyway, no dings and really no recourse, either. Ferris does ATL. :shake:

Slowpoke
12-25-2004, 06:04 AM
Maggianos is less than ½ mile from Poke's castle in the sky. I woulda been tickled pink to drive by and say hi if I woulda known you'd be there.

Bluerauder
12-25-2004, 06:14 AM
... When I picked it up a few hours later, I didn't notice until about halfway home that it had magically gained about 40 miles on the odometer. :confused: Guess it must have gone for a joyride, trapping the poor valet inside.:eek: Anyway, no dings and really no recourse, either. Ferris does ATL. :shake:
I would have certainly mentioned the extra 40 miles to the hotel manager and to the sponsor of the business function. :mad: Valets or anyone else should not be "joy riding" in your car without your permission (that's theft). Sounds like it turned out OK ... :D

Silver_04
12-25-2004, 01:19 PM
... When I picked it up a few hours later, I didn't notice until about halfway home that it had magically gained about 40 miles on the odometer. Guess it must have gone for a joyride, trapping the poor valet inside. Anyway, no dings and really no recourse, either. Ferris does ATL.

I would have certainly mentioned the extra 40 miles to the hotel manager and to the sponsor of the business function. :mad: Valets or anyone else should not be "joy riding" in your car without your permission (that's theft). Sounds like it turned out OK ... :D

Ditto...I always note my mileage before I get out of the car and again before I tip. That way if I notice a strange accumulation of miles my tip to the valet will be, "Better find a new job chief because your boss ain't gonna like what I tell him."

That sucks though and I would still call the establishment to register a complaint.

Edit: I just had a thought...when they give you the valet ticket write your mileage on the back as they watch. I'm gonna start doing that from now on.

GA-Marauder
12-27-2004, 10:31 AM
Ditto...I always note my mileage before I get out of the car and again before I tip. That way if I notice a strange accumulation of miles my tip to the valet will be, "Better find a new job chief because your boss ain't gonna like what I tell him."

That sucks though and I would still call the establishment to register a complaint.

Edit: I just had a thought...when they give you the valet ticket write your mileage on the back as they watch. I'm gonna start doing that from now on.
THAT is a great idea. What a deterrent to anyone who parks your car, knowing you are "keeping score".:cool4:

O's Fan Rich
12-27-2004, 10:45 AM
I had to buy a used Subaru to get heated seats!!!!
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13738