PDA

View Full Version : Auburns, Cords and Duesenbergs...oh my.

Silver_04
12-25-2004, 01:48 PM
On my way back from Michigan I swung by the Auburn, Cord and Duesenberg museum in Auburn, Indiana for a bit of relaxiation. While in the museum gift shop I bumped into a gentleman who proceeded to tell me he actually worked at the factory in 1928. He then led me over to a poster showing the assembly line in 1928 and pointed himself out on the line where he was placing bodies on the frames. I told him to stay where he was, ran to the lady at the gift counter and bought the poster. I then ran back and asked this gentleman for an autograph and I think I made his day. So if any of you get a chance to go to the museum ask for Marian as you will not be disappointed with his stories about the factory. Enjoy the pics

Silver_04
12-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Just a couple more pics. The Cobra in the museum is a real life 427 Cobra...drool.

The last few pics are of the 70 mile long traffic jam on I-65 in southern Indiana on the evening of 12/13/04. It took 12 hours to drive that distance so kudos to the Indiana Highway Department. The first highway pic was taken while actually standing on I-65, the second highway pic was taken 1/2 hour before the third highway pic. The third pic gives me a laugh because all of the cars around me were at a standstill, all headlamps were off and most every occupant...drivers included...was asleep. Don't get to see that often.

Patrick
12-25-2004, 03:34 PM
Sound like a great trip. Thanks for the pics!!!!

CBT
12-25-2004, 06:53 PM
....wonder if they'd trade that old Cobra straight up for my much newer Marauder..:D

jgc61sr2002
12-25-2004, 07:06 PM
....wonder if they'd trade that old Cobra straight up for my much newer Marauder..:D

I don't think so. :D

Rob1559
12-26-2004, 09:00 AM
Imagine if Marauders were built with the care they used for Duesenbergs.

Patrick
12-26-2004, 10:12 AM
Imagine if Marauders were built with the care they used for Duesenbergs.

Thats a thought!

merc406
12-28-2004, 02:46 PM
On my way back from Michigan I swung by the Auburn, Cord and Duesenberg museum in Auburn, Indiana for a bit of relaxiation. While in the museum gift shop I bumped into a gentleman who proceeded to tell me he actually worked at the factory in 1928. He then led me over to a poster showing the assembly line in 1928 and pointed himself out on the line where he was placing bodies on the frames. I told him to stay where he was, ran to the lady at the gift counter and bought the poster. I then ran back and asked this gentleman for an autograph and I think I made his day. So if any of you get a chance to go to the museum ask for Marian as you will not be disappointed with his stories about the factory. Enjoy the pics

Gordon Buehrig designer at Cord, was a resident here in town, I met him at one of his last car show's in 88, he was awarded with the Steuben Lifetime Achievement Award.
Enjoyed the pic's.

Lloyd330
01-01-2005, 09:00 AM
Hey, glad you finally made it to Auburn. I have some pics from one of my trips to the museum, they had a silver 427 cobra, no scoop, no side pipes. It looks like they put up some new displays too. Those cars always amazed me, supercharges, dohc's, cord doing fwd way back when, incredible.
Anyway, good pics, and im glad you had a good trip.
later,

frank

Silver_04
01-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Hey, glad you finally made it to Auburn. I have some pics from one of my trips to the museum, they had a silver 427 cobra, no scoop, no side pipes. It looks like they put up some new displays too. Those cars always amazed me, supercharges, dohc's, cord doing fwd way back when, incredible.
Anyway, good pics, and im glad you had a good trip.
later,

frank

Hey there stanger...I got a lot more pics on the ol' hard drive. I'll send a few your way.