PDA

View Full Version : Need some oil advice???

MMpridenjoy
02-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Hey to all,
Needing to replace the oil soon on the beast. I see Ford recommends 5w-20 on this engine. Well, when I looked into that a little, I see that Ford is using this oil to reduce emissions (apparently it has this effect). Was wondering if anyone with "motor oil" knowledge might answer whether this is what I should stick with or if it is some "Hodge-Podge"???? What have some of the fellow owners put in their vehicles? What brand do you recommend??? Thank for the insight.

vaderv
02-05-2003, 11:57 AM
Was gonna ask the same thing myself. Hey what is a k n filter charger?? I contacted k n about a filter for the marauder they said they dont have one yet...

MMpridenjoy
02-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Hey, the Filtercharger is what K&N calls their 1,000,000 mile air filters. You have to cross reference the filter as K&N does not have an application listing for this vehicle. Anyway, the K&N 33-2101 is a perfect fit air filter for the MM.

FordNut
02-05-2003, 12:39 PM
Are you sure about that number? I thought I got a 33-2012 for mine and it fits perfectly.

MMpridenjoy
02-05-2003, 12:45 PM
Oh man, you are absolutely correct, I made a typo error. Thank god you caught that before I steered someone to the wrong filter. It is indeed the 33-2012. Sorry again.

RF Overlord
02-05-2003, 12:50 PM
Pridenjoy...

Do a search on this site for "oil"...it's been discussed a lot...

Everyone has their own favourite that no amount of discussion will change... synthetic vs. dino, filter brands, intervals, etc...

I am in the process of writing a tech article on oil and filter changes for another board, and will offer it to MM.net as soon as it's ready...

Use whatever oil you like, as long as it's good quality and is approved for use in your vehicle (same with filters), and change it at whatever interval you're comfortable with, not to exceed the manufacturer's recommendation for the type of driving you do. It'll be explained in more detail in the article.

Please don't be offended if this sounds a little dismissive, it's just that there are as many opinions on oil and change intervals as there are drivers...personally, I use Pennzoil Synthetic Blend 5W-30, Motorcraft filter, 3,000 mile change interval.

Now excuse me while I change into my Nomex undergarments... :flamer:

FordNut
02-05-2003, 12:54 PM
Oil... Do a search on the forums, it's been discussed a lot. My personal plan is to have it changed at the dealer at about 3000 mi and have the gears & chip put in then. The dealer should use the specified 5W20 semi-synthetic. At about 5000 mi I'll have a checkup on the gears and change oil again. I'll change to Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W30 with a Mobil 1 filter and start on my 5000 mile intervals. Basically what I've been able to gather in the discussions is that Mobil 1 or Castrol full synthetic are the most recommended oil choices and the best filters are Mobil 1, K & N, and Purolator Pure One (not the standard Purolator filter). I'm new to the modular engine but I know oil is important to them so I'm going to try and make it last like the 5.0 in my Mark VII has.

jgc61sr2002
02-05-2003, 06:42 PM
Oil - The MM comes from the factory with 5 W 20 synthetic blend. I know that motorcraft has the 5 W 20 synthetic blend. It is my opinion that 5 W 30 synthetic would not be a problem. I think that is the way I am going. Any other thoughts. Thanks John ;)

SergntMac
02-05-2003, 07:01 PM
RF...Thanks for the effort, can't wait to see it all put down in one piece, let us know where we can read it?

5W20 from the dealer is fine with me, change every 2000, because of how I driver her. Was also advised to change rear gear lube every 10K if you have 4:10s.

Any opinions on tranny oil/filter?

merc406
02-05-2003, 08:30 PM
Mobil has upgraded all through the years their formula for a syn. oil not based on dino oil, others are not fully syn.

Murader03
02-05-2003, 08:34 PM
Sarge: Don't know how you drive your car, but mine goes 5000 between changes. That happens about every 45 days! Not wanting to get sticky here, but if Ford really wanted to get down and dirty, they could actually void the warranty if it was found the engine had other than recommended 5w-20 oil. I know, I know, that would really be getting picky but with a expense of the engine change, they might go that route. The synthetic oil that comes with the car and what Ford uses for oil chamges should do nicely under most all conditions.

merc406
02-05-2003, 08:49 PM
When to change the oil? Everyone has their own idea, mine is with the Mobil 1, when it looks dark. Depending on how much blow by an engine has, time to change it varies. On my 406 I have double oil filters, with them I change at usually around 3,500 miles and then change the oil at 7-8,000 miles. Some change it as high as 12,000 miles as long as the filters have been changed out. You cannot do that with dino oil or the dino oil based syn.
Trans has a filter but I have always used an inline filter for that also. The fluid for your New Marauders I would stick with what L/M recommends.

looking97233
02-05-2003, 10:22 PM
Okay, I've seen the other posts. I'm not an engineer, or a mechanic even. I think this is basicly sound in theroy though. If anybody finds me in error please correct me.

Imagine a mid 80's 5.0 and our 4.6 sitting next to one another. So we can compare. Next imagine that we can get any measurement without taking the motors apart. Or if someone has the manuals with the specs. in them.

First our motor is all alluminum, so when it heats, the parts expand at the same rate. As opposed to older motors with iron block/alluminum heads and pistons. So our motor can be put together "tighter" the clearances are less. This makes the motor seal better, which makes the motor more efficent. This causes an increase in bhp/ltr. out put and also reduces emissions.

Since the parts fit together tighter, the oil has to be composed of smaller particles and lighter to be able to provide proper luberication. It is beacuse of synthetic oils that this all has happened. Another effect of using the lighter oil is more power beacuse of less parasetic losses from the oil (cuz' it's ligthter. less weight hanging from the rotating assy.)

To sum up, these changes in motor design have been brought around by synthetic oils, they have better lubrication qualities, are more thermally stable, have a longer life span, and yes they make less pollutants when burned.

Mark McQuaide
02-06-2003, 06:46 AM
It says 5W20 right on the cap....why go with another weight without good reason?

IMHO..

Macon Marauder
02-06-2003, 06:54 AM
I'll probably switch to full synthetic. Not an engineer, I just feel better with synthetics and it's what I've run for years. I'll use the mfg recommended viscosity.

As far as the transmission goes: good question Sarge. I don't know the service interval on our Marauders (have to look that up.) I have 2 other Ford automatics that require service at 30,000 miles I think. And brother, let me tell you, you better not wait much longer than that. Otherwise, your tranny gets the shimmying shakes. Wait too long and you need a new torque converter - or worse.

Anybody know if our cars will be that, um - "delicate" when it comes to transmissions?

prchrman
02-06-2003, 07:19 AM
Does anyone know who manufactures the syn Ford oil? Ford is not in the oil refinery bizz--long shot but could it be mobile--I have used Moble 1 for years and never had a engine failure--regardless of make or mileage--SHO 189,000,351 truck 106,000--CRV 67,000--92 Linc 123,000--302 van 184,000--w/no oil consumption

FordNut
02-06-2003, 07:30 AM
I believe, at least on the older cast-iron 5.0, that it's not as important to use synthetic as it is on the new modular aluminum engines. My '88 Mark VII has over 240,000 miles and doesn't use oil (less than 1 qt between changes). It has always had Castrol non-synthetic on 5,000 mile intervals. The key is keeping clean oil in the engine.

SergntMac
02-06-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Murader03
Sarge: Don't know how you drive your car, but mine goes 5000 between changes. That happens about every 45 days! Not wanting to get sticky here, but if Ford really wanted to get down and dirty, they could actually void the warranty if it was found the engine had other than recommended 5w-20 oil. I know, I know, that would really be getting picky but with a expense of the engine change, they might go that route. The synthetic oil that comes with the car and what Ford uses for oil chamges should do nicely under most all conditions.

'03, I agree, no telling how this car, or the company, will be performing two years down the road. While history says both are durable, no sense in not being a tad careful for a while, just in case.

I drive hard, up in the RPM more than not. I may not rack up miles, but I think in terms of "hours" on the component. Oil and filter every 2K, rear end and tranny every 10k, need to or not. All doc*mented by my dealer, and surprisingly enough, the dealer is cheaper. Oil change at my local oil stop is 31. after tax, dealer is 19. Those savings make the more aggressive tranny schedule less expensive. If the motor fails at 35k, I don't want to be caught without records of proper service.

Someone mentioned K&N again, and that is thought provoking. I'm not dissing K&N, or any other performance product, but I'm not sold on them for the money. Until a better cold air package is offered, I'm sticking with the factory set up, and CLEAN filters. Look around, get a box of filters at bulk from one of the superstores, and change the air filter OFTEN. Performance products may show us a few bennies here and there over stock, but most shade tree owners/drivers buy the expensive aftermarket for the brag, and fail to maintain them to their peak performance. CLEAN air is more important, IMHO.

I'd hate like hell to run up against the SST Sable, just to find out my Lady has the sniffles...

mdmarauder
02-06-2003, 07:53 AM
I don't know if the trans in our Marauders is similiar to the Thunderbirds I've had in the past although I think they are both 4r70w. Anyway if I didn't change the fluid every 25,000 the tc would studder pretty bad. Regarding the whole motor oil issue, I use Mobile1 5w-30 just because I've always used it in all my cars. It would however be nice to use dino the last oil change I had on the Marauder cost me $57.00

LincMercLover
02-06-2003, 08:39 AM
See my sig...

Pantherman
02-06-2003, 09:49 AM
MdMarauder, the Marauder does have a 4R70W transmission. The fluid definitely should be changed at least according to Ford's schedule. The Marauder does however have a couple of major shudder avoidance improvements over your earlier T-Bird. It uses Mercon V, and it has a much better cooler.

RF Overlord
02-06-2003, 11:28 AM
looking:

Your basic theory is valid, but remember that Ford (and Honda, surprisingly) specifies 5W-20 primarily for CAFE reasons...note also that the owner's manual states 5W-20 is recommended...the word required is not used anywhere.

Parasitic losses are those incurred by, among other things, the power needed to drive "accessories" such as the water pump, oil pump, alternator, etc. The loss you speak of is not so much from the weight of the oil clinging to the rotating masses, but from the amount of power it takes to drive the oil pump when thicker oil is used.

Sarge, I agree fully with your K&N comments...

mdmarauder
02-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Pantherman,

I hope that's true. That shudder is very annoying and Trans Fluid changes are expensive.

martyo
02-06-2003, 12:06 PM
I agree with Sarge. My passion is boating (don't get me wrong, I am close to sleeping in the garage). On boats the rule of thumb is to change the oil and filters FREQUENTLY. My current boat has twin CAT 3208's (heavy breathers). I do the oil and oil filters and the air filters twice a season. Running a boat is like running a performance car. We are always up in the RPM (in the powerband).

Think of it this way, the cost of oil changes may be high, but teh cost of a rebuild is really HIGH.

My dealer gave me the choice of free oil changes every 5K or alternating free changes every 3K. I took the alternating changes. When was the last time a mechanice said, "Gee your oil is too clean"? Also, frequent changes may give you the chance to see a problem before it gets to be too serious.

'Nuff said.

VaderSS
02-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Personally, I run my intervals as far out as I can, using oil analysis to figure out how far is far enough. I run Mobil 1 and at 3 or 4k, the oil is not even beginning to be used up as in less than 25%. So far I've run out to 8k, and the oil was still good. This from somone who spends 1/2 his miles in the wonderful city of Houston.

Even your basic dino oils are rarely used up at less than 5000 miles.

I recently had the oil in my girlfriend's Explorer checked at 2000 miles, and it was only at 11%. It could have easily made it to 5K. That was regular Valvoline.

As far as 5W20, it's CAFE driven, pure and simple. Do a search and you'll find my post on it.

SergntMac
02-06-2003, 04:12 PM
BTW, my air filter is Fram FA-1032, 8.99 at local auto store.

TAF
02-06-2003, 04:13 PM
"You can pay me now...or pay me later" eh Sarge...

Those commercials must have made their "impression" on you...

SergntMac
02-06-2003, 05:12 PM
Not getting your point, Todd. "Impression"?

TAF
02-06-2003, 05:16 PM
Just an advertising term...impression...

I just remember back in the early '70s you couldn't watch football on sunday without seeing that guy 1,000 times....

SergntMac
02-06-2003, 07:36 PM
"Easy boy"

Okay...Got it now.

MarauderBoy
02-21-2003, 08:48 PM
I think that with all the talk of oil ,ore of us would have participated in oil analysis. I am due for my first oil change in the MM and will diligently send my sample to Blackstone in Ft Wayne to understand the results. If you are truly interested in preventive maintenance then the $18.00 is truly worth the money. I have been doing it since my diesel was brand new and love the crystal ball insight. Quite frankly, I see it as cheap insurance if there is ever a warranty issue.

I see the $18.00 as worth while as Backstone can pinpoint exactly where the ideal oil change point is based on your driving habits/conditions. I think this saves money in the long run and makes good reading for any future buyer.

schuvwj
02-23-2003, 09:52 AM
Here is some good oil information for you guys!

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/driving/articles/44791/article.html

CRUZTAKER
02-23-2003, 10:07 AM
Thanks schuvwj. Very informative.
Also clears up drain intervals on full synthetics :)