PDA

View Full Version : New Guy. New Guy Questions.

jjaguda
12-28-2004, 02:26 PM
Hello everyone.
REcently bought an '03 MM with 52k miles - highway. I have looked as several threads on problems with these cars. I'm not going to complain, as I've been through several battles over things like the Tremec 3650 BS 5speed problem with cold 1st - 2nd and 2nd - 3rd shift problems. Also have had the older Crown Vics with the POOR intakes with the plastic water jackets that blow out at the worst possible times. (Yes, I guess I'm into punishment sticking with a product line with a poor design history on several fronts, but I still like the blue oval, and, other manufactures all have their own manufacturing defects.) BUT, I am looking for a summary of the most common problems the MMs seem to have. I've seen the "blue smoke" problem and the left head problem. Is there anything else? Is there anything specific they you guys feel I should absolutely know about the blue smoke and head problems? Should I get a horse and just shoot it when it breaks? Should I buy a powerball ticket and click my heels together three times, etc., etc.

Thanks for any advise.

Joe

mpearce
12-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Hello & Welcome,

My advice...

Instead of focusing on the negative aspects of your new vehicle, focus on how much you like the car. Afterall, thats why you bought it, right? Make sure you read up on all of the Marauderville threads where people have fun, get together, eat fantastic food, race, and take pictures etc. The true meaning of this car lies in the people behind their wheels, not the blue smoke that comes from the tail pipes. Blue smoke, head problems, and ticks asside...take some time to enjoy your vehicle...it is in fact one of 11,000.

-Mat

Patrick
12-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Welcome!!

I had the Master cylinder go out at 300 miles. No problems in 2 plus years of any kind since. Well I broke the ash tray but I dont think that counts. Just enjoy!!!

Bluerauder
12-28-2004, 03:26 PM
My advice...

Instead of focusing on the negative aspects of your new vehicle, focus on how much you like the car. Afterall, thats why you bought it, right? ...
-Mat
I agree ... so far, I have had not one real problem with the car other than the sticking passenger window. I have had so much fun with the MM that any little nits and noids don't even bother me. Of course, I don't have blue smoke, moisture in the headlights, swirly black paint, or tie rubs on the door tips. Guess I am just lucky. :D Now where's that wood to knock on. :rofl:

wchain
12-28-2004, 03:26 PM
Welcome!!

I had the Master cylinder go out at 300 miles. No problems in 2 plus years of any kind since. Well I broke the ash tray but I dont think that counts. Just enjoy!!!

Patrick, you're supposed to empty it out when its full.....

Merc-O-matic
12-28-2004, 03:48 PM
Enjoy the car....I know you will.
Don't worry about the blue smoke, etc. Get a new
oil change( synthetic ) and forget your troubles.
At over 50K you're good to go!

Gotta Love It! :beer:

merc406
12-28-2004, 03:51 PM
Joe, buy the Powerball ticket and click your heels :)

FastMerc
12-28-2004, 03:59 PM
Hey dude you have one of the coolest and most identifyable cars on the road today enjoy it,you will realize this the more you drive it:burnout:

Marauder8
12-28-2004, 04:30 PM
Welcome to our world.......................

Patrick
12-28-2004, 04:37 PM
Patrick, you're supposed to empty it out when its full.....
:fishslap: I got your #!!!! :lol: :lol:

jjaguda
12-28-2004, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Please don't get me wrong. I love this car. I've wanted one since they first appeared. I tried getting a new one but it turned out to be too much of a PIA finding a local dealer that would find one, and Mercury stopped production. With that I figured I get one out of warranty that I can modify without messing with the dealer warranty poop. Anyway, I hope to have a long relationship with the MM.

My questions deal keeping the car in top shape. As I want to keep this car for the long haul, I just want to know what problems I may be facing. I like to keep my cars in top shape with 3k oil changes, 30k trans service, etc. If I do, or will, have a valve seal problem, head cooling problem, or any other problem, I just want to know about them in advance. Like others, I'm not big on surprises.

So - Merc-o-matic . . . synthetic oil. Got it.
I've done a full flush of the trans and torque converter.
Have cleaned, polished, shined, sat and starred at, one of the meanest looking, best performing 4200 pound production cars on the street. I've had several Crown Vics. This MM is night and day in all categories. I very much understand the uniqueness of this car. Went to the same shop for the muffler install and the trans service. The gearheads hanging out drop what they are doing and gather around my car. VERY COOL!

Thanks again for the info. Look forward to trying to find a local group here in New Orleans the appreciates the MM and the MACH 1.

FordNut
12-28-2004, 07:19 PM
You have mentioned most of the problem areas. Maintain the engine and tranny, they should be fine. Keep an ear out for rear end noise, there was a production problem with some units having axles that were improperly hardened, causing premature wear of the axles/bearings. Otherwise little things like leather steering wheel wrap coming loose, moisture in the headlights, tires (wear, alignment, pressure, balancing) have been discussed in many threads here.

Enjoy having one of the coolest cars around. I still come out of stores to find someone walking around mine to check it out! And they're ignoring the sporty cars parked nearby!!!

MENINBLK
12-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Welcome to the MercuryMarauder.net group !

You'll soon find out that you've joined the nicest group of people you could find ANYWHERE !!!

I've got a Black 2K4 Marauder that's almost a year old with 20k on the odometer.
No problems here to talk about.

I have changed the oil with Mobil1 0W-20 and a K&N HP-2010 filter every 3k miles up until 12k miles.
I had the oil sent to Blackstone labs for testing and they told me that I was good to go for 5k miles on Mobil 1,
so I now do the Oil and Filter changes every 5k miles and send a sample to Blackstone
to keep a tab on the engine's health.
The Service Manager at my dealership enjoys reading about the oil analysis, and finds it very valuable and educational.
I am the first customer he has seen take more interest in my car's health,
than most people take in their own health.

I also elected to flush the Tranny every 15k miles instead of the 30k service interval
that FORD recommends just on experience with other FORD vehicles.
The next Tranny service I do I will also send a sample of the tranny oil to Blackstone
to see what their analysis reveals about my tranny also.

The rear end I had serviced at 20k, and everything looks good at this point in time.
For my next rear service, I will be adding a Stud and Girdle kit,
just for the added strength, and the bling bling factor...

My next big service is at 24k, where I will flush out the Antifreeze, change out the thermostat,
the fuel filter, and have the Throttle Body/Intake Manifold cleaned also.

Enjoy your Marauder, pay attention to its service needs, and the problems will be very few.

CBT
12-28-2004, 10:55 PM
Welcome aboard, shipmate! The car is great, this site is great, life is great! Each time I take a friend for a ride I can't tell who is more excited, me or them. As for your questions, ask away. There are a lot of educated folks here who will gladly answer your questions or at least point you in the right direction.

jjaguda
01-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Since a started this thread, let me share my newly discovered situation. Now that it has warmed up down south, I have verified that I DO have the blue smoke problem. Only at start up after sitting a while. I've been waiting to be sure I not mistaking condesation exhaust in the cold weather as "smoke" (even though I could smell the burning oil). I did another search for "blue smoke" but I did not find a thread on repair out of warranty. Since I can't go to Ford and have them replace the head(s) what is my next move? Has anyone done the replacement of the valve seals? For that matter, I'm guessing from what I read that it IS the valve seals.(?) I'm using Motocraft 5w20, fram filter & driving it with a great deal of enthusiam (if you know what I mean).

BillyGman
01-02-2005, 03:32 PM
I use the Motorcraft 5W20 oil that mercury calls out for too, and I've never had the blue smoke issue yet. However, I do only have 22,000 miles on my Marauder,(11,000 of them Supercharged!) and the longest that it ever sits for is only 2 days, and even that duration is very rare since it's my daily driver. Also keep in mind that an occassional ticking noise during idle is very common with these cars as it also is with the 4.6L Mustangs, and Cobras. What it actually is can be debateable.

I've heard some mechanics say that it's merely the fuel injectors, while some people swear that it's something more serious such as valvetrain parts. I also have heard people who have had Cobras for 100,000 miles claim that they've had the ticking noise for that entire time that they had the car, and there were never any engine problems with it, and it always ran fine. so there's contrasting opinions on that. enjoy your car, take good care of it through maintainence intervals, and hope for the best. that's my suggestion. Congrats on the purchase of your cool car!!!!

jjaguda
01-03-2005, 07:10 AM
So has anyone done the valve seal repair out of warranty?

jjaguda
01-03-2005, 11:31 AM
If anyone has done this repair, please let me know.:help: I would like to know what I am facing before bringinth the car to the mechanic.

Thanks.

sailsmen
01-03-2005, 12:46 PM
If my car sit for more than 3 days I have the blue smoke at start up, prob oil draining thru the valve.

I have 36K and have tested the oil, no problems, and have dyno w/ 15k between and got exact same hp/tq number after 77 track runs.

What I am saying is it is prob much to do about nothing. Have your oil tested for $20.

Only probs w/ the car power window switch, cloudy headlite lens, seat trim poped off and airbag lite due to faulty connector. :D

ckadiddle
01-03-2005, 12:59 PM
I have a 2003 Marauder , bought a couple months ago with about 18000 miles on it. Runs beautifully. No problems noticed yet except leather on steering wheel untucked on one side-this is on the back of the wheel, doesn't show. If it bugs me enough I'll glue it.

Dennis Reinhart
01-03-2005, 01:09 PM
Hello everyone.
REcently bought an '03 MM with 52k miles - highway. I have looked as several threads on problems with these cars. I'm not going to complain, as I've been through several battles over things like the Tremec 3650 BS 5speed problem with cold 1st - 2nd and 2nd - 3rd shift problems. Also have had the older Crown Vics with the POOR intakes with the plastic water jackets that blow out at the worst possible times. (Yes, I guess I'm into punishment sticking with a product line with a poor design history on several fronts, but I still like the blue oval, and, other manufactures all have their own manufacturing defects.) BUT, I am looking for a summary of the most common problems the MMs seem to have. I've seen the "blue smoke" problem and the left head problem. Is there anything else? Is there anything specific they you guys feel I should absolutely know about the blue smoke and head problems? Should I get a horse and just shoot it when it breaks? Should I buy a powerball ticket and click my heels together three times, etc., etc.

Thanks for any advise.

Joe

There is a TSB on the driver head, blue smoke on start up is valve guide seals and this should under warranty

jjaguda
01-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Thanks everyone. I've never been a BOARD with as many people willing to offer advise. :)

Car is now at the dealer. Wish me luck. When I checked the car out before handing over the check, I did not think to stand behind the car while someone else started it. Even if I did that, the dealer had just detailed the car before my arrival. That certainly required moving the car.
Dennis, I have 52k on this car. With 52k, I did not think Ford would cover the repairs, even with the TSB. No extended warranty.

jjaguda
01-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Info for those with the smoke problem . . .

My dealer changed the PCV valve in hope that that was the cause of the blue smoke. It was not. Just thought I would share this infor with those with the same problem.

Fortunately, the seller will be paying for the valve seal replacement.

RF Overlord
01-06-2005, 05:14 PM
I'm using Motocraft 5w20, fram filter & driving it with a great deal of enthusiam (if you know what I mean).

Next oil change, get rid of the FRAM filter and install a Motorcraft FL-820S...

This has nothing to do with your blue smoke issue, I just hate seeing someone using an inferior filter on such a nice car...

One other thing you may not realise...unless the previous owner already replaced it, the oil pressure gauge is a fake...look in the FAQ for the how-to on replacing it with a real working one...

Marauderman
01-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Dang............The Blue Smoke Problem thingy....everyone thinks is a problem....... is not a problem!!!!!!!!

Sarge has said it best---( if I could only copy it over to this thread--have never been good at that--help)

He posted all about it , in a direct but yet correct 411 on this--- to be blunt--we have a very powerful engine--ok--so if you don't "get on it" it will show--

Sarge said something about --if you drive normal and don't get on it around town and don't drive it often--then Blue smoke will appear on start up vs-
if you get on it and it's used alot --like daily and often with heavy pedal--cause it wants to feel your foot- then on next start up --no smoke-

Well, I tested his point and he is right--cause I usually leave mine inside and only drive it on the weekends or holidays/special events--anyway--it blows out blue smoke after thoise periods---and no smoke when I use it often and hard--you know ,,the fun stuff...I will do some videos of this to prove my point later on --but thats another subject..anyway---the blue smoke thing is really not a big problem to worry about.........Tom

jjaguda
01-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the info Marauderman and RF Overload.

I will definitely switch filters at next oil change.

The blue smoke - I understand that it is no big deal, but, the dealer I bought the car from posted on a well known auction site that the car was in "excelent" condition. Thats played a big part in my decision to buy this car. SInce I don't feel that the blue smoke is properly part of an "excelent" rating for the engine (as represented by this dealer in an internet auction) I decided to present them with the problem. The selling dealer is now paying for the repair. And several other items.
Although I do not know anything more than the fact that the car has alot of highway miles, I do know the pattern of smoke it is currently exhibiting. Car sits for several hours = smoke. Car engine shut off, but restarted within an hour or so = no smoke.

Anyway, although the dealer actually offered to buy the car back, I love driving it. I take it out whenever I have an excuse. If the wife needs something from the grocery store, I'll drive across town instead of to the store down the street. Everyone on this site knows, this car is the best of both worlds - big and roomy but powerful!:burnout: I've had it for less than 30 day, so the smile is still a regular feature on my mug.:banana:

Again, thanks to everyone for the info.

jgc61sr2002
01-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the info Marauderman and RF Overload.

I will definitely switch filters at next oil change.

The blue smoke - I understand that it is no big deal, but, the dealer I bought the car from posted on a well known auction site that the car was in "excelent" condition. Thats played a big part in my decision to buy this car. SInce I don't feel that the blue smoke is properly part of an "excelent" rating for the engine (as represented by this dealer in an internet auction) I decided to present them with the problem. The selling dealer is now paying for the repair. And several other items.
Although I do not know anything more than the fact that the car has alot of highway miles, I do know the pattern of smoke it is currently exhibiting. Car sits for several hours = smoke. Car engine shut off, but restarted within an hour or so = no smoke.

Anyway, although the dealer actually offered to buy the car back, I love driving it. I take it out whenever I have an excuse. If the wife needs something from the grocery store, I'll drive across town instead of to the store down the street. Everyone on this site knows, this car is the best of both worlds - big and roomy but powerful!:burnout: I've had it for less than 30 day, so the smile is still a regular feature on my mug.:banana:

Again, thanks to everyone for the info.

IMO it sounds like bad valve seals. ( O rings )

Two Hawks
01-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Hi! jjaguda

Glad to hear your seller is doing the right thing. :D can’t beat that. :banana2:

Well, if sarge is right, I’ll never have a problem with that

Dang............The Blue Smoke Problem thingy....everyone thinks is a problem....... is not a problem!!!!!!!!

Sarge has said it best---( if I could only copy it over to this thread--have never been good at that--help)

He posted all about it , in a direct but yet correct 411 on this--- to be blunt--we have a very powerful engine--ok--so if you don't "get on it" it will show--
Sarge said something about --if you drive normal and don't get on it around town and don't drive it often--then Blue smoke will appear on start up vs-
if you get on it and it's used alot --like daily and often with heavy pedal--cause it wants to feel your foot- then on next start up --no smoke- ……………

dang ol blue smoke, cause there hasn’t been a day, I’ve taken my baby out that, I didn’ hammer her at least once and :Dd like a raving lunatic. ...:wasntme: I didn’t say that, it was that other hawk. :bump:

All I can say about the :Ding thing, is get used to it, it aint goin away. :D :D

If you cruse up to DFW, let me know and I’ll try to cross paths with you, maybe go do some MARAUDING :burnout: and turn some heads.
Always looking for a good reason to cruse. ;)

BTW, To find instructions on how to quote, follow thest steps: "Quick links" on tool bar - "FAQ" - "General Forum Usage" - "Are there any special/tags... - "click here" (at end of last sentance) and you there, the vB Code List, now go to the last instruction/example of the list. I used the example which includes the quoters name.

MM03MOK
01-07-2005, 06:44 AM
BTW, To find instructions on how to quote, follow thest steps: "Quick links" on tool bar - "FAQ" - "General Forum Usage" - "Are there any special/tags... - "click here" (at end of last sentance) and you there, the vB Code List, now go to the last instruction/example of the list. I used the example which includes the quoters name.Also, if you use the Reply in the body of the post you want to quote, next to the Edit icon, it will quote that post. Edit as needed. When composing a post, there is also a quote icon you can use http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/editor/quote.gif - then copy and paste the text. Adding =Screen Name within the first/opening bracket, after "QUOTE" will add the name of the quoted.

Two Hawks
01-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Many Thanks, MM03MOK

Also, if you use the Reply in the body of the post you want to quote, next to the Edit icon, it will quote that post. Edit as needed. When composing a post, there is also a quote icon you can use http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/editor/quote.gif - then copy and paste the text. Adding =Screen Name within the first/opening bracket, after "QUOTE" will add the name of the quoted.
Thanks for the other options, they're a lot faster and easier! I had that same question and that just happened to be the first method I found and it worked for me, so I had my answer. Just following my normal path, seems I always have to learn things the hard way first. :dunno: :D :D

MM03MOK
01-08-2005, 06:34 AM
Many Thanks, MM03MOK

Thanks for the other options, they're a lot faster and easier! I had that same question and that just happened to be the first method I found and it worked for me, so I had my answer. Just following my normal path, seems I always have to learn things the hard way first. :dunno: :D :DI'm proud of you for actually looking to find the answer in the General Forum Usage FAQ!! :bows: Most don't know it's there. I find using the WYSIWYG Enhanced Edit mode is the easiest and the mouse hovering over the buttons tells you what the icons are for when creating a post. You certainly have the smilies down cold!! :D ;)

Bunny!!

Two Hawks
01-09-2005, 01:45 AM
I'm proud of you for actually looking to find the answer in the General Forum Usage FAQ!! :bows: Most don't know it's there. I find using the WYSIWYG Enhanced Edit mode is the easiest and the mouse hovering over the buttons tells you what the icons are for when creating a post. You certainly have the smilies down cold!! :D ;)

Bunny!!Thanks again and again…, I feel honored to be led through this e-maze by such an esteemed member. :bows: :bows:

Uncanny, how you also brought up the edit mode thing. I meant to go back and learn about that posting option. I didn’t change my misc. options when I first set up, because I’d never done this posting thing and was a little (understatement) overwhelmed (in my e-challenged world) by all the creative posts and didn’t know where to begin, so when I saw “WYSIWYG” :eek: You could say I wigged out :run: and went the default way.

Well, I’m using your suggestion on this post and WOW!, it just keeps getting better. Click and apply smilies, now I really have the smilies down cold. :D :D

I’m sure there are others who will also appreciate this information.