PDA

View Full Version : ACT - The Resulting Scores

woaface
12-29-2004, 10:06 AM
So, I was definitely a lot more confident with the SAT...but I'll have to study up for SAT II, an almost completely different test. I liked the format of the PSAT (pre SAT) better and I'm confident that I could really make vast improvements, even in areas I did well in.

So here goes the ACT, I did well in English with a 26 and not so great in math with a 17. How disappointing is that? I'm crushed! If you break down English into rhetorical skills and usage/management skills, I scored just fine. This has to be the story of my life. I can speak, and speak well, but unless numbers have to do with statistics, cars or electronic gadgets, I'm lost. There was science as well but even if you take that out I've still got roughly the same 21 average. Physics has always been interesting to me, and maybe that's why I recieved a 22. However, I'm not taking up a career with any of that so on to more substantive and pertinant matter....

My math skills have never been exceptional. It has to be the bane of my existence. I enjoy math and the whole logistics process is a lot of fun for me. The problem however, is that simply put, I am not great at the solving, understanding or exicuting of problems. Much more practice is needed. I even did better in the higher level algebra than the pre-algebra. WTF!?

I also need to work on taking tests. I hate bubble tests. I always do well on the first section and then everything is a big ABCD blur. It's a mild case of ADD that sets in...but I've long been a firm believer that drugs for this sort of "disorder" should be reserved for the "no way around it" cases. Way too many kids get prescriptions they shouldn't because they're doctors are Rx happy. You keep kids in buildings all day for hours and hours straight and then send them home with tons of work for years on end, what do you think they're going to do? Bounce of walls and not pay attention...what the hell else! Kids (me especially) can't and should not be taught through intimidation and sedation. Eventually it works out for the lot of them but I think middle school is the make or break and fallback point for everyone. Growing up fast and learning healthy attitudes and discipline in 3 years of school before high school is a tough job.:soapbox:

Anyways, hopefully I'll do a lot better next time. I refuse to be your average high B, low A student:rolleyes:

mpearce
12-29-2004, 10:23 AM
James,

Order of operations : Math tests = :bs:

Those test are all overrated. I ended up going to a fantastic college (one people have probably never heard of) Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (despite my average ACT's and SAT's), and I've been out in the workforce since 1996. I've done everything from being a bouncer at a bar, a lumber hauler, an airport terminal/airfield manager, a licensed weather observer for the national weather service, an aircraft rescue fire fighter, a private pilot, an aircraft dispatcher, to an air traffic controller. I was horrible in math in HS, and not much better at it in college. But guess what? Just as you mentioned above...I was good at math when it related to weather, calculating my fuel consumption rate and my weight and balance in my airplane, or vectoring 10 airplanes onto final approach all coming from different directions, all going different speeds, at different altitudes, all at the same time! Your brain will eventually get it James. Mine did when it was given something interesting to use it for. Not some string of numbers you had to plug a formula into to get an answer that might not even be right!! How boring! The only people to care about my ACT's or SAT's were my parents. The only time any of those tests have come up since, is maybe in joking during a bar coversation. You're a smart kid, you've got a tallent with photography...go out there and have fun!

-Mat

DEFYANT
12-29-2004, 10:26 AM
Alot of the frustrations you post here will be clear as you get older. Then you will be kicking yourself for missed opportunities you had / have today. I agree with your opinion on the Rx happy world we're in. If you can, and want too, you should work through any difficulties. The key is, you have to want to do it. You'll be stronger in the end.

You got the right idea kid, keep up the good work.
Patients young grasshoppa. Always remember life is not about the destination, but the journey.

Ross
12-29-2004, 11:19 AM
James, you may never use a lot of the math that you have to learn, but one thing is certain: the grades you make now (no matter how irrelevant they may seem) will help to open doors in the future. Even if you aren't going into a math heavy field of study in college, a good SAT or ACT score (including math) will get you into more colleges than a poor or average score will. It might not be fair, but it's the way of the world. So learn all that you can, keep as many doors open as possible, and you will never regret having the ability to say YES or NO to more opportunities. Believe me, no one is more math challenged than me, and this advice comes from hard experience!

ncmm
12-29-2004, 11:59 AM
. . . Growing up fast and learning healthy attitudes and discipline in 3 years of school before high school is a tough job.:soapbox:

Anyways, hopefully I'll do a lot better next time. I refuse to be your average high B, low A student:rolleyes:
SAT
ACT
PSAT

they don't mean a thing when it comes to your photography skills

you rock with that! :D

whatever you do. . . hang tough. . .you'll give it your best I'm sure. :cool4:

hitchhiker
12-29-2004, 12:09 PM
So, I was definitely a lot more confident with the SAT...but I'll have to study up for SAT II, an almost completely different test. I liked the format of the PSAT (pre SAT) better and I'm confident that I could really make vast improvements, even in areas I did well in.

So here goes the ACT, I did well in English with a 26 and not so great in math with a 17. How disappointing is that? I'm crushed! If you break down English into rhetorical skills and usage/management skills, I scored just fine. This has to be the story of my life. I can speak, and speak well, but unless numbers have to do with statistics, cars or electronic gadgets, I'm lost. There was science as well but even if you take that out I've still got roughly the same 21 average. Physics has always been interesting to me, and maybe that's why I recieved a 22. However, I'm not taking up a career with any of that so on to more substantive and pertinant matter....

My math skills have never been exceptional. It has to be the bane of my existence. I enjoy math and the whole logistics process is a lot of fun for me. The problem however, is that simply put, I am not great at the solving, understanding or exicuting of problems. Much more practice is needed. I even did better in the higher level algebra than the pre-algebra. WTF!?

I also need to work on taking tests. I hate bubble tests. I always do well on the first section and then everything is a big ABCD blur. It's a mild case of ADD that sets in...but I've long been a firm believer that drugs for this sort of "disorder" should be reserved for the "no way around it" cases. Way too many kids get prescriptions they shouldn't because they're doctors are Rx happy. You keep kids in buildings all day for hours and hours straight and then send them home with tons of work for years on end, what do you think they're going to do? Bounce of walls and not pay attention...what the hell else! Kids (me especially) can't and should not be taught through intimidation and sedation. Eventually it works out for the lot of them but I think middle school is the make or break and fallback point for everyone. Growing up fast and learning healthy attitudes and discipline in 3 years of school before high school is a tough job.:soapbox:

Gee, I am sure that Ward and June are proud!

Way to go Beeve.

:P

martyo
12-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Gee, I am sure that Ward and June are proud!

Way to go Beeve.

:P

That reminds me, what was the dirtiest thing ever said on TV?

Marauder57
12-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Unfortunately the great dilemma is you will use very little of the actual "stuff" you learn in school day to day. You will use the general themes...but not really the intense stuff unless you are in some kind of engineering or mathematical arena. The rub is the tests aren't going away and the need to do well on them for college reasons continues to be a necessity. If you want to go to college...take an SAT or ACT course...it will teach you how to "take" the test when to guess when not to......

Do the best you can...but be well rounded ultimately in life that will serve you best......besides after 10 years no one asks what your ACT or SAT score is....

:up:

martyo
12-29-2004, 12:16 PM
On a serious note James, can I cry on Elaine's shoulder for you? :D

hitchhiker
12-29-2004, 12:26 PM

Well...?

:D

jd319
12-29-2004, 12:29 PM

"Ward, you were a little hard on the beaver last night"

martyo
12-29-2004, 12:30 PM

Give the man a cigar! :bandit:

Patrick
12-29-2004, 12:38 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Patrick
12-29-2004, 01:35 PM
James, Dont worry about scores. Your too smart to get wrapped up the little things. Just do what ya can and let everything fall into place. :high5: :high5:

martyo
12-29-2004, 01:51 PM
James, Dont worry about scores.

Yeah, leave the scoring to Todd. He always scores....

Patrick
12-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Yeah, leave the scoring to Todd. He always scores....

I have heard differently!!! But I wont mention Donny name....Opps!!

BruteForce
12-29-2004, 02:35 PM
Those scores are terrible. :rolleyes: Better just quit school and take up crack smoking. :rasta: j/k.

Bluerauder
12-29-2004, 04:17 PM
The only people to care about my ACT's or SAT's were my parents. -Mat
And the admissions office at the colleges. :D The SAT is still the principal screening mechanism for most all college admissions. They have proven to be a fairly good indicator of those "most likely" to succeed in higher education and eventually graduate. Obviously, there are exceptions --

SATs normally look at the combined verbal and math score. So, to a degree, an excellent verbal score can counterbalance a mediocre math performance. From what I have seen and heard here from James, he should really not have a problem getting into a good college. He is sharp, well-read, well-spoken, and pretty mature. So, IMHO he shouldn't worry excessively about the tests. :) That said, he should probably not apply for a Physics or Engineering degree unless the math improves. :rolleyes:

woaface
12-29-2004, 04:30 PM
Not to mention I'm not interested in those fields of study but anyways. Thanks for the compliments...I'm flattered:)

As it stands, I can get into the University of South Carolina with that, which is where I'll probably be. However, while they may be happy with my scores, I am not. I don't want to look back on my teen years and ask why I didn't try to do something. I'm going to push myself to do it all. If I fail or don't quite make the cut...fine, at least I tried. As far as I'm concerned, better to try and fail then to sit on my thumbs.

A lot of colleges now will take a mediocre test score if you've got a killer essay, solid recommendations, and your interview goes well. Either way, I'm still a junior so I've got some time.

Donny Carlson
12-29-2004, 07:45 PM
So here goes the ACT, I did well in English with a 26 and not so great in math with a 17. How disappointing is that? I'm crushed! If you break down English into rhetorical skills and usage/management skills, I scored just fine. This has to be the story of my life. I can speak, and speak well, but unless numbers have to do with statistics, cars or electronic gadgets, I'm lost. There was science as well but even if you take that out I've still got roughly the same 21 average.
Just for S&G's, I looked up my ACT scores. English = 29, Math =26, Soc Science= 32, Natural Science= 32 composite score = 30. Math was my weakness, also. The "college bound percentages" that year for math had me scoring in the 80% ile group, everthing else was 99 or 98 percentile.

As I recall, ACT scores were important only to state schools or lower tier private colleges. If you wanted to get into a top tier school, they only considered your performance on the SAT. My ACT scores netted me a lot of mailouts from schools inviting me to apply, though.

My PSAT scores were verbal=62, math=60, selection index=184. That put me in the 98%ile verbal, 93%ile math, 96%ile seletion index.

My SATs were 610 verbal, 570 math. I sucked at the SAT's. I should have taken them again, but didn't. I still was accepted by good schools, though these scores weren't good enough for the best of the best. MIT turned me down, as did Cal Tech. I was accepted to RPI, Cornell, Georgia Tech, Rice, Stanford, and after being placed on the waiting list, Princeton. I would have gone to Princeton, except that I had already accepted Rice, and it would have likely bankrupted my parents. (it was too late for scholarship or grant applications, and my Dad made too much for student aid)

And, in spite of all that, I now work for the Postal Service. So, pffffft on the scores.

Patrick
12-29-2004, 08:35 PM
If I fail or don't quite make the cut...fine, at least I tried. As far as I'm concerned, better to try and fail then to sit on my thumbs.
Either way, I'm still a junior so I've got some time.

Thats a great attitude to have James!!
:nworthy: :nworthy: