PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

Paul T. Casey
12-30-2004, 10:46 AM
As many here know, my wife is stepping up to a new Mustang soon. Part of the process is the selling of her Neon. It was one of those that had the head gasket go south, during warrantee thankfully, and was repaired. It never seemed right after that though. Well, getting it ready for sale, I decided a fresh set of plugs, filters, and a mega polish were in order. Found the problem with the "runability" when I took the #4 plug out. The tube was filled with oil. I figured either head gasket or perhaps the prolonged periods where it sat idle caused the little oil seals at the base of the plugs to dry rot. I purchased a gasket kit and went about repairing it. Much to my surprise, when I took off the valve cover there were only 3 of said plug gaskets in place, all looking really new and fine. The missing one was on the #4 plug, the same one which had the oil filled plug tube (same style as ours, deep tube with plug in bottom common to OHC motors). I took some photo's, and was wondering what the best way would be to approach the dealership where the work was performed with this problem. I think it was either forgotten, or fell off the valve cover prior to assembly. The car was back to the same dealer with drivability issue several times after the head gasket repair, and I retained all reciepts. Anyone think a lawyer would be of help here, or should I just barge in and pound some desks? How about a full page newspaper ad? I'm open to options.

wchain
12-30-2004, 10:53 AM
As many here know, my wife is stepping up to a new Mustang soon. Part of the process is the selling of her Neon. It was one of those that had the head gasket go south, during warrantee thankfully, and was repaired. It never seemed right after that though. Well, getting it ready for sale, I decided a fresh set of plugs, filters, and a mega polish were in order. Found the problem with the "runability" when I took the #4 plug out. The tube was filled with oil. I figured either head gasket or perhaps the prolonged periods where it sat idle caused the little oil seals at the base of the plugs to dry rot. I purchased a gasket kit and went about repairing it. Much to my surprise, when I took off the valve cover there were only 3 of said plug gaskets in place, all looking really new and fine. The missing one was on the #4 plug, the same one which had the oil filled plug tube (same style as ours, deep tube with plug in bottom common to OHC motors). I took some photo's, and was wondering what the best way would be to approach the dealership where the work was performed with this problem. I think it was either forgotten, or fell off the valve cover prior to assembly. The car was back to the same dealer with drivability issue several times after the head gasket repair, and I retained all reciepts. Anyone think a lawyer would be of help here, or should I just barge in and pound some desks? How about a full page newspaper ad? I'm open to options.

You know a friend of mine went through this a while back. He ended up posting a website on the internet, with a play by play of what happened, gave the URL to the WORLD and then Chrysler found out about it, so they ended up suing eachother and settled out of court, he gets his car fixed, and in exchange, he takes the website down. Dunno if you have the time to do that, but its just an option!

You might call them and see what they say. Most of the times, the answer is, "well the car has been out of our hands for so long etc etc" but every once in a while you get someone who is reasonable....

Good luck.
W

Marauder8
12-30-2004, 03:53 PM
I think you just drop it. It is impossible to prove your point.

Bluerauder
12-30-2004, 04:07 PM
I'm open to options.
Since you are the one who discovered the problem, the situation is likely a "He said, They said" case. Unless you have an expert witness that observed the fouled plug and can provide a third party testimony, I doubt that a court would find in your favor. Somehow, you would have to provide a direct 'cause-and-effect' between the undiscovered #4 plug problem and all the visits for the driveability issue.

If you are on a good basis with the dealer and his service reps, I think that I would approach them with the facts as you have presented them here. Multiple visits with no correction and your discovery of the #4 plug problem. Then, I would appeal to them to make it right for you -- after all you have invested money and time into bringing it to their service department and it was a problem that they should have caught.

That's my :twocents:

Marauder386
12-30-2004, 05:47 PM
Paul, it may be a losing battle...yes, "he said, they say". Just another wonderful example of how they ", :censor: you/us at the drive thru.

:cool:

jgc61sr2002
12-30-2004, 05:53 PM
Paul - Put in the new plugs and trade it in.

FordNut
12-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Paul - Put in the new plugs and trade it in.
Another of life's lessons.

merc406
12-30-2004, 06:33 PM
Got insurance on it? If so take it downtown or whatever and park it. Those things are on the list of the most ripped off.

MarauderMark
12-30-2004, 06:42 PM
Got insurance on it? If so take it downtown or whatever and park it. Those things are on the list of the most ripped off.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: This is the best answer so far.but dont tell anyone.Just take it in and see what they say .Don't know until you try.

Krytin
12-30-2004, 07:43 PM
Tough one Paul. I guess if you feel the urge, relate the story to the service dept. just as you have here. If you get some satisfaction, good on ya! If they tell you to drop dead, give me a call and I'll drive up there & squeeze someone's neck for ya!
Paul

Patrick
12-30-2004, 07:51 PM
Hey Paul, I dont know if have any kind of good dealings with that dealership. But I would at least take the paperwork to them and atleast try and get something worked out. And it has a history of being a problem maybe the lemon law might have something in thier to maybe help. Just my 2 cents.