PDA

View Full Version : GM admits Hummer H2 a joke

dwasson
01-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Detroit, Michigan, USA – IN a surprise statement to a shocked America, General Motors (GM) revealed that the popular SUV known only as the H2 made by GM subsidiary Hummer (previously of AMC) was in fact an elaborate joke on an unsuspecting public.

“It was all just a bit of fun really,” said GM Vice-Chairman Robert Lotz, “I mean look at it,” he continued laughing, “it’s hilarious, it looks like an oversized toy.”

More details continue to emerge hourly but it is now apparent that the H2 was intended as a private joke between engineers. The plans were accidentally found by management and considered genuine. A middle management director, whose name has been withheld, gathered up the plans with the intent to re-file them. However the director did not immediately get around to it. He found the plans in his briefcase when conducting a market research exercise and, on a whim, decided to pass the plans around. The result was very positive. The H2 scored well in several subsequent focus groups.

At this point upper management approved the plans and instructed the engineering department to continue their modeling of project H2. The engineers, a timid lot by nature, were too meek to point out that the H2 was a joke. Used to bizarre requests by management they diligently designed the humorously ungainly automobile.

Nearing its completion phase several pre-production models were forwarded to marketing who proceeded to have a field day driving the H2 over things to the tune of heavy rock music. “I mean the thing pretty much sold itself, we just had to show it to people,” commented Guy Phillipe of marketing before asking that his comments not be printed.

After the H2s' launch the original prankster engineers attempted to alert management of the joke. However sales figures were so strong that management thought that news of the H2 being a joke was itself a joke.

It is unsure what exactly changed the collective mind of management, although slipping sales figures may be one reason. Regardless GM has begun recalling all Hummer H2s for destruction. It is believed that the Automobile Museum of Kansas City has secured one H2 for an exhibit of what is already being billed as the worlds first mass produced joke.

According to a GM media release owners of H2s are advised to bring their cars into any GM Service center or alternatively just drive them off a cliff or into a lake or river, “provided it is deep enough to properly hide this ungainly creature.” No rebates will be given for the returned SUVs which sold for 70 000 USD when new. “That would be like rewarding stupidity,” exclaimed GM CEO Richard Wagoneer.

CRUZTAKER
01-01-2005, 02:51 PM
The new SUT is an H2 with a pickup bed that is so small it won't accomodate a 4-wheeler or snowmobile unless one lowers the midgate and allows those items to sit in the passenger area with the riders!

What a waste of money!

Silver_04
01-01-2005, 06:28 PM
We had an H2 at work for some vehicle testing and when I shut the rear lift gate the right rear tail lamp brush guard fell off. Oh, and a cat came out from behind the bumper too but I doubt that was a factory installed option.

Patrick
01-01-2005, 06:41 PM
This would confirm the theory that thier was one born every minute!!

Bradley G
01-01-2005, 06:50 PM
Proves Hummers are for, as Barry said are for "pu**ies"
Bradley G

CRUZTAKER
01-01-2005, 07:15 PM
Proves Hummers are for, as Barry said are for "pu**ies"
Bradley G
:up:

I have great video called 'Piece of shat Hummer'....now if I can just find the link....BRB...;)

CRUZTAKER
01-01-2005, 07:27 PM
Here ya go folks...took a little searching, but here the video called:

WHY HUMMERS SUCK (http://www.shooshtime.com/clips/video.php?id=3944)

Patrick
01-01-2005, 07:39 PM
Here ya go folks...took a little searching, but here the video called:

WHY HUMMERS SUCK (http://www.shooshtime.com/clips/video.php?id=3944)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

jjaguda
01-01-2005, 08:03 PM
HOw does a truck, that is a derivitive of a mil spec truck, break a tie rod? I've abused my previous F-150s far worse than that without ANY problems. Incredible!

MAD-3R
01-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Because it just a GMC Yukon with an extra 1000lbs on it.

Geo
01-02-2005, 05:50 AM
I don't believe a word of that Detroit, MI statement especially the last 2 paragraphs about museam securing a H2 and recalling and/or jumping the vehicle off a cliff as Rick Wagoner supposedly exclaimed.

If this was real, GM stock would be dead. Not too mention that the H3 is already ready (alot of product for a line that is a joke).

I do personally know they are cheaply made and fair miserably in frontal accidents but the idea of a Hummer brand to compete with Jeep is a damn good one (as Jeep is showing response in making a H2 competitor soon).

G

Bradley G
01-02-2005, 06:39 AM
The first Time I saw a hummer on the street,I though the very same thing.I sat in one at the Chicago autoshow years ago.I felt like, what's the attraction here?comfort? appointments?performance?the only nice thing ,I can admit to, is it is different.
Bradley G

the_pack_rat
01-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Hummers were meant to be given - not driven.

dwasson
01-02-2005, 08:25 PM
I don't believe a word of that Detroit, MI statement especially the last 2 paragraphs about museam securing a H2 and recalling and/or jumping the vehicle off a cliff as Rick Wagoner supposedly exclaimed.

If this was real, GM stock would be dead. Not too mention that the H3 is already ready (alot of product for a line that is a joke).

Ya know Geo, satire is a tricky thing. I don't think that there are that many people who would call me subtle, but here in this thread I'm too subtle for the audience.

LimoMerc
01-02-2005, 09:54 PM
:run: I'm so glad I found this site and my MM.

Bradley G
01-03-2005, 08:01 AM
Ditto! Limo Merc,

Bradley G

:run: I'm so glad I found this site and my MM.

Mike Poore
01-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Detroit, Michigan, USA – IN a surprise statement to a shocked America, General Motors (GM) revealed that the popular SUV known only as the H2 made by GM subsidiary Hummer (previously of AMC) was in fact an elaborate joke on an unsuspecting public. “That would be like rewarding stupidity,” exclaimed GM CEO Richard Wagoneer.
Dan, you've posted some great stuff! This one's right up there.:D

QWK SVT
01-03-2005, 01:36 PM
The new SUT is an H2 with a pickup bed that is so small it won't accomodate a 4-wheeler or snowmobile unless one lowers the midgate and allows those items to sit in the passenger area with the riders!

What a waste of money!But wait! There's a new hummer in town (well, coming to town)... Derived from the Chevrolet Colorado pickup, and powered by the same 5-cyl engine, how can you not want one?

"For most Hummer buyers, off-road ability means something like easily trudging out of the muddy parking lot at a horse show"

But, seems as though C&D is somewhat impressed...
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=8692&page_number=1