PDA

View Full Version : Another use for Marauder wheels

fast Ed
01-02-2005, 08:42 PM
Hey guys & gals

As I mentioned in one of my first posts on this site, I'm planning to use a set of MM wheels on my 68 Cougar this year. I got a great deal on a set of the full size spares. When Ford originally released them as a service part, the price was very cheap, so I grabbed a set for future plans.

I'm getting ready to put some very large brakes on the car, so the 18s will do a great job of clearing them. For now, I bolted two on the car, with the spacer sizes I plan to use, to check the fit, and get an idea how they will look. My plan is to polish the lips and raised portions of the spokes, then paint the rest of the wheel medium grey. I picked up a nice set of Michelin Pilot Sport 225-45-18 and 245-45-18 tires off eBay last month, they seem to fit pretty well. I may have to play with the ride height a bit to get the right look, maybe down in the front a bit more, or up slightly in the rear.

Please excuse the dark, poor quality photos ... the flash isn't the hottest on my cheapo digital camera.

Comments anyone? :D

http://members.tccoa.com/fasted/Cougarpics/Coug18-1.jpg

http://members.tccoa.com/fasted/Cougarpics/Coug18-2.jpg

http://members.tccoa.com/fasted/Cougarpics/Coug18-3.jpg

http://members.tccoa.com/fasted/Cougarpics/Coug18-4.jpg

cheers,
Ed N.

martyo
01-02-2005, 08:44 PM
That looks trick.

hdwrench
01-02-2005, 08:48 PM
very nice :beer:

DEFYANT
01-02-2005, 08:49 PM
These MM rims are very cool. They look great on your car. People always ask if the rims are stock or aftermarket.

CBT
01-02-2005, 08:49 PM
Nice ride! There's a crusty old biker lookin dude that drives a blue one like that around here, except it has a wing/spoiler on the back, and the engine is sticking thru the hood.

teamrope
01-02-2005, 10:38 PM
That looks trick. The plans you have sound even more so. :2thumbs:

Patrick
01-02-2005, 10:42 PM
:high5: :high5: :high5:

SergntMac
01-03-2005, 03:37 AM
Niiiiiice....

Petrograde
01-03-2005, 03:40 AM
wow Ed,... that looks great! :up: I cant wait to see some pics after you've polished them!

BK_GrandMarquis
01-03-2005, 09:02 AM
Hey guys & gals

As I mentioned in one of my first posts on this site, I'm planning to use a set of MM wheels on my 68 Cougar this year. I got a great deal on a set of the full size spares. When Ford originally released them as a service part, the price was very cheap, so I grabbed a set for future plans.

I'm getting ready to put some very large brakes on the car, so the 18s will do a great job of clearing them. For now, I bolted two on the car, with the spacer sizes I plan to use, to check the fit, and get an idea how they will look. My plan is to polish the lips and raised portions of the spokes, then paint the rest of the wheel medium grey. I picked up a nice set of Michelin Pilot Sport 225-45-18 and 245-45-18 tires off eBay last month, they seem to fit pretty well. I may have to play with the ride height a bit to get the right look, maybe down in the front a bit more, or up slightly in the rear.

Please excuse the dark, poor quality photos ... the flash isn't the hottest on my cheapo digital camera.

Comments anyone? :D

cheers,
Ed N.Actually, I think those look pretty cool on that car. :up: They fit well. I'm surprised that it did fit so well. Meaning the offset and such.

TheFlatlander
01-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Extreemly clean and sharp looking, both the car and the wheel set-up.

CRUZTAKER
01-03-2005, 09:15 AM
THAT is a nice look. If I squint, I'd swear it was an 05 mustang.:P

fast Ed
01-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the comments, everyone. When I first got them on the car, and lowered it down off the jack, it was a bit of a shock. The car had 15" Shelby wheels on it before this, so seeing the 18s on there was a bit WOW if you know what I mean. After standing back about 15 feet and looking at it for a few minutes, I really started to like it.

I'm using some big Eibach hubcentric spacers to make them fit, 45 mm on the rear, either 35 or 40 mm on the front, I haven't ordered the fronts yet ... I was making do with some cheapo 1" bolt-on spacers, and a few smaller ones, to test the fit ... no, I'm not going to try driving it like that! :P

The car looks better in photos than it does in person. It had a so-so body and paint job done in the early 90s before I bought it, the prep on the body wasn't the hottest from what I can see. It's certainly presentable, but not a mint car by any means. It was a decent, unmolested car, one owner car, with good interior and trim (for a Canadian car), and most importantly, the vacuum headlight doors and the sequential turn signals still function. :)

cheers,
Ed N.

JerseyVics
01-03-2005, 10:09 AM
makes your car look like a Jaguar

--Russ

gpfarrell
01-03-2005, 10:34 AM
and most importantly, the vacuum headlight doors and the sequential turn signals still function. :)

Blinkety-blinkety-blinkety meets 18" Bling!!!

Tooo coool. Love the combo!

ckadiddle
01-03-2005, 02:56 PM
I think the neo-retro look of the Marauder rims is especially suited to your Cougar. Kinda melts the decades together nicely.

2003DOHC
01-03-2005, 05:07 PM
I like the look!! :up:

woaface
01-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Very sexy, very sleek! Hot dubs!

ncmm
01-03-2005, 06:09 PM
:cool: A beautiful addition to a classic automobile! :cool:

MyTMerc
01-03-2005, 06:44 PM
An outstanding look for your Cougar!