PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip help

jdando
01-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Well it is almost time to pick my MM from Boston. :)

I will fly out and then drive the car back on January 15-?. I have a couple of questions regarding the "best" route back to Minneapolis.

Mapquest has me on I-90 through New York passing through Albany, Buffalo, Eire, and Cleveland. This seems like it has a high risk for lake effect snow and me driving 25 mph for three days to get home :(

Would a slight more southern approach Boston to Hartford, CT, Harrisburg PA, Columbus OH be a better choice?

Any and all comments regarding road construction or road choice welcomed.

jeremy soon to be a proud MM owner.

2003_MM_FYRE49
01-03-2005, 08:46 PM

I will fly out and then drive the car back on January 15-?. I have a couple of questions regarding the "best" route back to Minneapolis.

Mapquest has me on I-90 through New York passing through Albany, Buffalo, Eire, and Cleveland. This seems like it has a high risk for lake effect snow and me driving 25 mph for three days to get home :(

Would a slight more southern approach Boston to Hartford, CT, Harrisburg PA, Columbus OH be a better choice?

I would say to keep an eye on the weather Jeremy, living in the Windy City Burbs I know that I-90 going around the bottom of Lake Michigan can get hairy if they are getting lake effect snow but I can not comment on the rest of your trip.

CRUZTAKER
01-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Definately a weather watching issue. Too soon to tell.

I-90 is by far the easiest, and best road for what you are going to do. I know, been there done that....many times in both directions, Minneapolis, New York....

The southern route may, and may not avoid snow all the way. Once into Ohio, yes...but 76 through PA is one of the more tricky routes, no matter what the weather. Very dangerous, and very white knuckle.

Our newest member AzMarauder is leaving Arizona tomorrow morning and driving to Vermont to trade in and drive home a new MM. He has a similar decision to make, as our weather is changing wednesday for the worse. We're gonna play it by ear, and have alternate routes ready. But anyway he/you look at it, traveling through Buffalo-90, OR the southern PA-76 in January is a pot shot. :dunno:

jgc61sr2002
01-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Have a safe trip enjoy your new ride. :D :up: Good luck.

CBT
01-03-2005, 09:08 PM
Man, this brings back memories. About 7 years ago I made a trip from Philly to Chicago, took that PA-OH turnpike, talk about friggin scenic! I drove it in the summer with no radio and no A/C in a piece of work 1988 Dodge Daytona. The scenery was the only thing that kept me from going insane in that heat with no tunes.

2003_MM_FYRE49
01-03-2005, 09:14 PM
Philly to Chicago, took that PA-OH turnpike

Oh yeah, be careful how fast you drive on the turnpike, when you get onto the highway they give you a stamped ticket with the time that you got onto the road. when you are getting off the computer checks your time and if you are not within their "time boundaries" they point you off to the side of the road where the State Police are waiting for you.

CBT
01-03-2005, 09:54 PM
That's so wierd! It actually happened sort of like that, a guy at one of the tollbooths asked if I wanted a speeding ticket. "No, why?" so he explained how it worked and I slowed down a tad. I had completely forgot about that part until you mentioned it. Don't know why he shared that with me, unless he saw that I was covered in sweat and singing to myself and figured I could use all the help I could get..

CRUZTAKER
01-03-2005, 10:11 PM
.... when you are getting off the computer checks your time and if you are not within their "time boundaries" they point you off to the side of the road where the State Police are waiting for you.

Niiiiiice!!!!! :lol: :lol:

I assure you... NOT in Ohio. Funny though!

I run the Ohio turnpike regularly when I am traveling for my job. My record from the Indiana stateline to my exit 11, 173 miles is 1:57....trust me, the nice person at the cash box just takes your money, they could care less how long it took you to do so.;)

dwasson
01-03-2005, 10:20 PM
One option to avoid lake effect snow is to cross into Canada at Buffalo and then back into the states at either Detroit or Port Huron. Going north of Lake Erie can usually get you better weather and I 94 from Detroit to Indiana is about the fastest road around.

Plus, if you time it right you might just convince a few Marauder guys to meet you at Caper's for steak by the ounce. Ask FiveO about Caper's.

SergntMac
01-04-2005, 05:44 AM
I 94 from Detroit to Indiana is about the fastest road around.
Without a doubt. Just a few weeks ago, I tried a mad dash up to Lidio's for a dynotune. I left at 4 AM, with an "all clear" from www.accuweather.com and my Weather Channel. About 135 miles up the road, I got mugged by lake effect and had to turn back. This time of year, the weather is a mystery, you won't know what's ahead until you're there. Best wishes for a safe journey.

Mike Poore
01-04-2005, 06:11 AM

:welcome:
Don't even think about the Harrisburg route. The Turnpike, west from there is the ride from hell, and it dips way too far too the south. Your next best choice to the south of I-90 is I-80. The high bridge construction over the Red Moshannon is done, and the road is in good shape. It's a beautiful drive, but you need to watch out for snow, west of Milesburg to Snow Shoe. Once you cross the Tapanzee bridge, getting onto I-80's a snap. Hope for good weather, and enjoy the ride .....smiles the whole way:)

mpearce
01-04-2005, 06:22 AM
If you come through Cleveland on I-90 Barry and I will come out to meet you for Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner. You decide!

-Mat

Mike Poore
01-04-2005, 06:25 PM
If you come through Cleveland on I-90 Barry and I will come out to meet you for Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner. You decide! -Mat

Breakfast with Mat & Barry! Hey guys ...ROAD TRIP! I'm in... :woohoo: :burn:

rayjay
01-05-2005, 01:36 AM
You will need to check on the weather for the I90 section from Utica to Buffalo. All depends on which way the winds blowing. Although, we are having the most snow free, warmest weather for this time of year that anyone can remember. I'm sure at some point reality will come back...

JerseyVics
01-05-2005, 03:01 AM
oooooooo, he said road trip!!!! dude: www.myroadtrip.net

as for the road conditions, unless you're planning to take I10 through Florida, Georgia, etc.. you get the idea, you're subject to the same crappy weather whether on I90, I80 or I78/81 through Harrisburg!

best advice, go when there are no storms planned, and both this week and next week they are promissing precipitation for the North East so it might not be the best solution for your road trip... (I have researched this already since I'll am dying to go to the Mega Burger place in the mountains of central PA for their 9lb Burger!) and tomorrow I'm driving down to D.C. for a CVN meet. All I can say is Good Luck! and post your experiences on my board, you can post as a guest if you find anything interesting along that route.

Marauderjack
01-05-2005, 03:59 AM
Hmmmmm.....Let's See.....

South to Daytona (stay overnight).....Then off to Tampa/St. Pete (stay overnight)...Then off to New Orleans (Stay a couple of nights).....Up to Memphis (stay at least one night)....and on North to Minn.!!!! :beer:

May take awhile but the car is sooooo much fun to drive and risking "Lake Effect" snow is out of the question!! :rolleyes:

Good Luck!!

Marauderjack :D

dwasson
01-05-2005, 06:40 AM
Hmmmmm.....Let's See.....

South to Daytona (stay overnight).....Then off to Tampa/St. Pete (stay overnight)...Then off to New Orleans (Stay a couple of nights).....Up to Memphis (stay at least one night)....and on North to Minn.!!!! :beer:

May take awhile but the car is sooooo much fun to drive and risking "Lake Effect" snow is out of the question!! :rolleyes:

Good Luck!!

Marauderjack :D

Then there is just "Gulf Effect" Hurricanes to worry about.

FiveO
01-05-2005, 06:53 AM
I've traveled from MN to Boston a couple times.

Best route is w/b on the New York Turnpike.

Go through Canada and come back in just north east of Detroit.

Down through Chicago and up to Minnesota!

Only problem will be the weather.

Good luck.

Nice to see another Minnesota member... :D

mpearce
01-05-2005, 06:54 AM
Breakfast with Mat & Barry! Hey guys ...ROAD TRIP! I'm in...
Hey Mike,

You're welcome anytime! Barry throws quite a bash for the Cleveland meet in May. People would never really realize it, but there's a lot to do here. Come have some fun!

-Mat

jdando
01-05-2005, 07:44 AM
FiveO suggested the Canadian route. On Mapquest it appears to go by St. Thomas. Is this where our cars were made?

jeremy in tropical Minnesota 2F and -15F windchill

Haggis
01-05-2005, 08:12 AM
jdando if you come through the D.C. area give me a shout! :director:

Here is the extended forecast.

D.C area weather ( http://www.weather.com/weather/local/20001?par=msnbc&site=msnbc.com&promo=0&cm_ven=msnbc&c m_cat=www.msnbc.com&cm_pla=citywx&cm_ite=extended)

Here is the extended Weather for the NYC area.

NYC Weather (http://www.weather.com/weather/local/07020?lswe=07020&lwsa=WeatherLocalUndeclared)

Good luck on your trip. Gods Speed.

Mike Poore
01-05-2005, 09:09 AM
Hey Mike,

You're welcome anytime! Barry throws quite a bash for the Cleveland meet in May. People would never really realize it, but there's a lot to do here. Come have some fun!

-MatThis is gonna work out great Mat. We're planning on attending the Detroit doo, this summer, so we'll just add a Barry bash to the itinerary. Cleveland's on the way, right? ...............Road trip!! :D
:drive:

FiveO
01-05-2005, 10:53 AM
FiveO suggested the Canadian route. On Mapquest it appears to go by St. Thomas. Is this where our cars were made?

jeremy in tropical Minnesota 2F and -15F windchill

You can go south and head through Ohio and Indiana...but the NY Turnpike, Canada route is beautiful.

I'm jealous man...! I love roadtrips!

Good luck....keep an eye on the Twin Cities section in the upcoming months...we'll be having a few get togethers.

Bradley G
01-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Roadtrip? Chicago? Did I hear correctly? If you choose this route you are welcome to stop in my neck of the woods .If you have a mind to .Safe travels

and enjoy the ride!I know why FiveO likes roadtrips,He kicked butt in atlanta at the Heavyweight shootout! congrats and be safe!
Bradley G

Dr Caleb
01-05-2005, 12:36 PM
On Mapquest it appears to go by St. Thomas. Is this where our cars were made?

Yes. St. Thomas Assembly Plant is where all Panthers are built.

Expect delays crossing back into New York from Quebec, or Detroit from Ontairo. With all the new security measures, it's been all over the news that there are long delays at the major border crossings.

From what I've heard, the highways south from Plattsburg has a security checkpoint on the crest of a hill that causes major accidents because of the location too.

jaywish
01-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Hi jeremy,

If you do decide to cross the Hudson river via the Tapanzee bridge (I287) let me know. You would be in my area and we could catch a bite etc. If some of the other locals are free... they like to get together and have a good time.

Jay

jdando
01-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Well guys, thanks for all the invites!:D

Here is my plan for my road trip. This is all subject to change due to weather, but a guy has to have a plan!

Day 1 Boston to Niagara Falls to Hamilton Ontario

Day 2 Hamilton to St. Thomas Ontario (What are my chances of a plant tour?) on to Detroit, Farmington (I grew up there 30 years ago!) on to South Bend (Maybe the Chicago area.)

Day 3 South Bend/Chicago to Minneapolis

I think a more relaxed driving schedule is in order this time of year and hopefully I can meet as many mm.netter's as possible.

If anyone has experience with what I need to cross the border to/from Canada that would be helpful

The plan seems reasonable from where I sit, no snow here in Minneapolis. Got my digicam, laptop and cell phone so I should be able to stay in touch and keep you posted with the adventure.

jeremy

MM03MOK
01-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Jeremy - any time for dinner on Cape Cod Sat. before you leave?

rayjay
01-08-2005, 04:27 PM
If anyone has experience with what I need to cross the border to/from Canada that would be helpful
jeremyIf you have a passport, bring it. If not, drivers license and birth certificate, for everyone in the car. Keep in mind that you are a visitor to a foreign country in Canada. Your rights stay behind in the USA.

dwasson
01-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Don't bring any firearms or liquor and only a small amount of tobacco. Remember that the speed limit in Ontario is 100kph (62mph) but they'll give you 67mph usually. Fill up in NY because gas is expensive in Ontario and some of the stations in the service areas on 401 have only 91 octane premium. If you like Coca Cola buy one in Canada. They still use sugar instead of corn syrup. Canadian Coke is much better.

jdando
01-15-2005, 04:44 AM
:)

Tomorrow I pick up my MM in Cape Cod!!

My drive back to Minneapolis will be interesting (1400 miles) and hopefully uneventful.

Sunday Cape Cod to Clarion PA
Monday Clarion PA to Chicago
Tuesday Chicago to Minneapolis

Had to share my joy!!

jeremy off to an all day seminar

mpearce
01-15-2005, 06:10 AM
Good luck on your road trip! Let me know when you'll be coming through Cleveland, and on what highway...80 probably, right? Talk to you soon.

-Mat