PDA

View Full Version : Spooky Headlights.....

Marauderjack
01-05-2005, 04:49 AM
When my turn signals quit working and a new LCM (Lighting Control Module) was the fix.....I expected all was well??? :confused:

Well.....I usually run the car with the parking lights and fog lamps on so now every once in awhile I start up in the dark.....Turn on the parking lights and pull out the fog lamp switch.....AND ABOUT 50% OF THE TIME THE HEADLIGHTS COME ON AUTOMATICALLY!!!??? :mad: It is just like I have the switch turned to the left for "Auto-Lamp"?? :(

Now, I drive off with the headlights burning and the switch on the parking lights only and.....THE HEADLIGHTS TURN OFF IN A COUPLE OF MINUTES.....SOMETIMES??? :mad:

If I turn it to "Headlight" position it works just fine?? :help:

Any ideas?? Since it is intermittant I don't think the dealer has much of a chance finding it and it's not a big problem....just weird!! :cool:

Marauderjack :cool4:

Go Mifuni
01-05-2005, 07:22 AM
When my turn signals quit working and a new LCM (Lighting Control Module) was the fix.....I expected all was well??? :confused:

Well.....I usually run the car with the parking lights and fog lamps on so now every once in awhile I start up in the dark.....Turn on the parking lights and pull out the fog lamp switch.....AND ABOUT 50% OF THE TIME THE HEADLIGHTS COME ON AUTOMATICALLY!!!??? :mad: It is just like I have the switch turned to the left for "Auto-Lamp"?? :(

Now, I drive off with the headlights burning and the switch on the parking lights only and.....THE HEADLIGHTS TURN OFF IN A COUPLE OF MINUTES.....SOMETIMES??? :mad:

If I turn it to "Headlight" position it works just fine?? :help:

Any ideas?? Since it is intermittant I don't think the dealer has much of a chance finding it and it's not a big problem....just weird!! :cool:

Marauderjack :cool4:

Mine do the same thing.
The headlights come on automatically when it's dark enough even with the switch in the "off" position.

I know when they do because even if it's not dark enough to see the dash illuminated, I can hear the click.

FordNut
01-05-2005, 08:11 AM
A couple of thoughts...
The door control module will turn on the headlights with keypad or key fob activation. I believe this function can be turned off. Try that.

Another idea, the wipers turn on the lights also. I don't think that can be disabled, but the wiper control could have an effect on the headlights too.

RF Overlord
01-05-2005, 08:40 AM
The door control module will turn on the headlights with keypad or key fob activation. I believe this function can be turned off. Try that.

'Nut, do you have the procedure for this? I hate the fact that the headlights turn on whenever the key fob is used, but the owner's manual doesn't explain any deactivation procedure. The only one I could find is how to disable the horn chirp/headlight flash, and I've already done that. Thanks...

CRUZTAKER
01-05-2005, 09:07 AM
The roller dial that controls the lighting sentinal is on. Turn that thumb dial to off, and the headlights will not come on automatically. They will also not come on when you use the fob to unlock your doors. It's a give and take thing....:o

the_pack_rat
01-05-2005, 09:18 AM
I find the fact Ford didn't use the regular AutoLamp system in the MM ... they used for years on many of their other cars quite annoying.

It's some chintzo "knock-off" setup w/o the ability to control the shut off time ... which I really miss.

I also got quite used to the accessory delay & speed control lamp in my Town Car.

A friend has a 2005 Escape.

It has the delayed accessory feature. Do you know it has a SPEED CONTORL LAMP as well ?.

:argue:

My friend didn't quite understand why I was mumbling all kinds of four letter words after discovering that her way LESS expensive Escape with nothing more than a basic comfort/convenience upgrade pkg ... had something my more expensive & upscale Mercury product doesn't.

However this doesn't really suprise me ...

Did ya know that the previous generation Ford Explorer could be had with WAAAAAY more candy than it's supposedly more upscale Mercury Mountaineer sibling could ?.

Both my 2000 & 2001 Mountaineers stickered just SHY of $36K at the time ... I special ordered BOTH & checked off EVERY option you could get at the time cept' for the Premier or Monterey appearance options(limited color choices). I had NO heated mirrors - NO heated seats - NO memory seat - which was standard on the Limited Explorer & quite possibly available on the Eddie Bauer as well. To this day the NO heated mirror thing REALLY baffles the **** out of me(never knew till after I owned one - like who would have thought ?). No mention of it ANYWHERE in the factory showroom literature OR the owners manual either. I also could NOT get the 16 inch wheels w/o ordering the Premier pkg - which were STANDARD on the Eddie Bauer Exp. They did later start puting 16 inch wheels on other 2001 Mountaineers(my 2001 was one of the first 2001's built). This was probably due to the 15 inch Firestone tire fiasco around that time.

I would have happily bought an Explorer ... but I never cared for the extra side body trim & removing it would have left holes all over the body(believe me I looked into it). Always liked that generation Mountaineer nose better as well ... but that should have been a fairly simple grill - lamp & bumper swap/paint.

:confused: WTF !?!?!?!? :confused:

Ford does some STRANGE stuff some times ...

RF Overlord
01-05-2005, 09:31 AM
The roller dial that controls the lighting sentinal is on.

OK, now I feel stupid..."lighting sentinal"? You mean the dash-light dimmer?

CRUZTAKER
01-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Errr uhhhh....I was trying to candy coat it....:P

Bigdogjim
01-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Hey I something like this happen to me about a year ago.

Turned out to be the module under the dash for the lights and wipers:)

cyled
01-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Now my wipers on lights on does not work, my wipers have a mind of their own and the car is out of warranty.

What is the part number for the Lighting/Wiper module that is under the dash and how do you identify it?

Thanks in advanced!