View Full Version : My next Mercury...

mrjones
01-05-2005, 09:00 AM
I like this a lot

http://www.blueovalnews.com/2004/naias/meta.htm

Anybody else seen this?

CRUZTAKER
01-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Now THAT may be the alternative to Jessica's need for an Aviator!

wchain
01-05-2005, 09:06 AM

I just Sent Meg's an Email about making some delete Tips for this :laugh:

FordNut
01-05-2005, 09:06 AM
I like this a lot

http://www.blueovalnews.com/2004/naias/meta.htm

Anybody else seen this?
It's as if they think the new Cadillac front end design looks good or something. Why would anybody want to copy something that ugly? Yuck!

bigslim
01-05-2005, 09:48 AM
That car is based on the Ford Freestyle. You can bet that the Mercury version will be no more than a Freestlyle with a Mariner grill on it.

Mike Poore
01-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Barry, Barb has an Aviator, and THAT ain't no Aviator!:depress:

FastMerc
01-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Ah cool a new ultra high tech,lets see 4 doors a tailgate.Hey its a cool new STATIONWAGON:lol: :rofl:

Patrick
01-05-2005, 11:52 AM
:down: :down: :down: Not on my list!

TheDealer
01-05-2005, 11:56 AM
The owner of my Dealership just told me today that they are building that. he is on the advisory board of Lincoln Mercury. The sad news is the Messenger was scrapped!!!!

DEFYANT
01-05-2005, 12:05 PM
The owner of my Dealership just told me today that they are building that. he is on the advisory board of Lincoln Mercury. The sad news is the Messenger was scrapped!!!!
You have got to be kidding me!! The Messenger would be a cool little car. Why is Mercury avoiding the performance cars?

TheDealer
01-05-2005, 12:13 PM
They put their money into a sedan that will far out sell the Messenger. It's all about MONEY!!! :bigcry: :bigcry:

Haggis
01-05-2005, 12:15 PM

:censor: :censor: :censor:

Of course it was....Soccer Moms rule!!!! :shot:

wchain
01-05-2005, 12:21 PM
:censor: :censor: :censor:

Of course it was....Soccer Moms rule!!!! :shot:

Kinda sad that there are only 3 CARS on the mercury Lineup,

Sable, Montego and the GM..... Wow, the Montego base price is more than what I paid for the MM! :cool4:

Constable
01-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Does anyone else see that their concept vehicle is in desperate need of an alignment???

Dr Caleb
01-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Does anyone else see that their concept vehicle is in desperate need of an alignment???

Good catch. Might be a product of the angle of the photograph.

I see that all too often on the road. On FWD cars, the toe is way out on the back wheels.

Or RWD drive cars that look like they're in permanent burnout mode . . .

mrjones
01-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Ah cool a new ultra high tech,lets see 4 doors a tailgate.Hey its a cool new STATIONWAGON:lol: :rofl:

Hey, I like stationwagons!! I guess it's because the first car that I got to take to town and cruise around the square in on Sat night was my mom's 68 Mercury Colony Park wagon. 390/4V, and yes it was a woody! Or I guess really, it was a vinylly that appeared to be a woody. At one time, there were some photoshopped pics of a Marauder wagon running around. I thought it looked WAY cool.

What I really like about the concept Meta is its hybrid powertrain with the 245hp 2.7l turbodiesel. When the electric motor kicks in, it ought to run pretty well.

Petrograde
01-05-2005, 03:49 PM
man,.. that's an ugly little bastage! :puke:

Silver_04
01-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Oh my gosh another FWD. And it's just another rebadged Ford...how creative, regardless of the powertrain.

Tell ya' what, why doesn't Mercury embark upon a grand experiment much in the spirit of the Ford GT, but make a fun and ~30K sports sedan and wagon. This car would be RWD with a standard 6 and an optional V-8. Basically give the designers and engineers total creative freedom (keeping the 30k price point in mind) to make this fun car and see what happens. And then give it a proper marketing. It's amazing what employees will give the company if the company loosens the screws a bit. And then transfer that lightening in a bottle to Lincoln so they could make another proper two door RWD coupe. That division seriously needs an appealing convertible as well.

No I'm not a marketteer, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Bluerauder
01-05-2005, 06:10 PM
I like this a lot

Anybody else seen this?
Looks like the L-M Division is taking its front end styling cues from Cadillac with its cowcatcher/snowplow theme.

And an interesting point .... "the world's first PZEV diesel hybrid powertrain, which uses renewable bio-mass diesel fuel." I think I'll pass on the first year or two of production until they get the kinks worked out. I am a little skeptical of something that runs on horse manure and leftover pizza and beer. Oops .... no such thing as leftover beer. :rofl: :beer:

JamesHecker
01-05-2005, 08:46 PM

I think the Messenger should have been the next Cougar.

CRUZTAKER
01-05-2005, 08:47 PM
....alrighty then....:hide:

Mike Poore
01-06-2005, 02:19 AM
[QUOTE=Silver_04
Tell ya' what, why doesn't Mercury embark upon a grand experiment much in the spirit of the Ford GT, but make a fun and ~30K sports sedan and wagon. This car would be RWD with a standard 6 and an optional V-8. QUOTE]

Shhhhhh! Quiet! The guys at Chrysler will steal your idea.:D

Haggis
01-06-2005, 10:45 AM
I am a little skeptical of something that runs on leftover pizza and beer. Oops .... no such thing as leftover beer. :rofl: :beer:

What do you think keeps me going day after day? :help:

Joe Walsh
01-06-2005, 06:51 PM
I like the integrated exhaust tips in the rear valence/bumper! :rock:
I don't think that the front end looks all that bad....It looks way better than the current Mountaineer's chrome '****'.

Bigdogjim
01-06-2005, 07:01 PM
You know my friends laughed at me 18 years ago when I bought my first F-150?

Now who do think is having the last laugh?

Looks like Marauder will be my last Mercury.............So sad...........

These vehicles today have no style......................... .......

ckadiddle
01-06-2005, 09:31 PM
You have got to be kidding me!! The Messenger would be a cool little car. Why is Mercury avoiding the performance cars?
Maybe Mercury has "Performance Anxiety"?

Petrograde
01-06-2005, 09:43 PM
I'll tell ya,... I'm losing respect for FoMoCo. I guess they forgot Mercury's roots as a muscle car.

...sigh....

Bigdogjim
01-06-2005, 11:45 PM
I'll tell ya,... I'm losing respect for FoMoCo. I guess they forgot Mercury's roots as a muscle car.

...sigh....
Yeah Mercury is doing a great job of runing it self into a brick wall :mad:

jerrym3
01-07-2005, 07:35 AM
Mercury used to be Ford's performance model and a step up before a buyer was ready for a Lincoln.

But, since about the early/mid 60's when Fords started sharing identical engines with Mercury, Mercury lost it's performance edge over the Ford line.

Why buy the Mercury, Cougar, or Cyclone when you could get the same drivetrain in the cheaper, and often lighter, Ford? (Although, in the 60's, Mercury seemed to have an edge on the oval track due to aerodynamics.)

Mercury was once my favorite car.

I can still remember the Sunday evening Ed Sullivan TV Show back in 1956 pushing "The big M; Mercury". The 54 Sun Valley, 57 Turnpike Cruiser, late 60's/early 70's Cougar Eliminator and Cyclone Spoilers were all great cars.

What happened? (Guess we could ask basically the same question about the Oldsmobile.)

Maybe Mercury should have named the Marauder the Turnpike Cruiser or Cyclone and offered a factory S/C performance option, the Marauder, later followed by the convertible version. (Or, Mercury Marauder with the S/C Cyclone option.)

Just a thought.

Bluerauder
01-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Maybe Mercury should have named the Marauder the Turnpike Cruiser or Cyclone and offered a factory S/C performance option, the Marauder, later followed by the convertible version. (Or, Mercury Marauder with the S/C Cyclone option.)

Just a thought.
Wow, its like Deja Vu all over again !!! :D Hey Mike --- your Turnpike Cruiser idea is catching on. :burnout:

Merc-O-matic
01-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Will be another Marauder (used) when the prices
get down to 5-8K in the next 2-3 years.

Gotta Love It! :beatnik: