PDA

View Full Version : 25 Rules of Survival... I live by them...

Constable
01-06-2005, 03:02 PM
1- Bring a gun. Better to bring two guns, and all of your friends that have guns.

2- If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and some friends with long guns.

3- Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun that has a caliber number starting with less than "4".

4- Utilize a gun that works "EVERY TIME".

5- Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice... or three times.

6- Only hits count. The only thing worse than a "miss" is a "slow miss".

7- If your shooting stance is good, then you're not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.

8- Move away from your attacker. Distance is your ally. Lateral and Diagonal movement is preferred.

9- 10 years from now, noone will remember the details of weapon, caliber, stance, or tactics. They'll only remember who lived and who didn't.

10- If you aren't shooting, you should be reloading, communicating, and running.

11- Accuracy is relative. Most combat shooting standards will be more dependant on the "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun.

12- Someday, someone may kill you with your own gun. If you acted correctly, he'll have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

13- Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

14- Have a plan. Have a backup plan because the first one WILL NOT work.

15- Use cover or concealment as much as possible.

16- Flank your adversary when possible. Protect YOUR flank.

17- Don't drop your guard... especially after you've just "won".

18- Always tactically reload and threat scan 360 degrees.

19- ALWAYS watch their hands. Hands kill.

20- Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.

21- The faster you finish the fight, the less you will get shot.

22- Be polite. Be professional. Have a plan to shoot EVERYONE you meet or who is within range.

23- Be courteous to everyone; friendly to noone.

24- You're number one plan should be a lifelong committment to avoidance, deterrence, combat, breaking contact, and de-escalation.

25- Lady Luck is fickle. She changes her mind at will. Never rely on her.

These words of wisdom were found in the Tactical Response buyer's guide for 2004 (25 Cents Worth of Survival). I hope you all read this and did not dismiss it as a joke. Some of the rules are humurous. You find them funny because, deep down, you know they're absolutely true.

DEFYANT
01-06-2005, 03:18 PM
From a guy who's "been there", this is dead right. 'nuff said.

Bluerauder
01-06-2005, 03:21 PM

12- Someday, someone may kill you with your own gun. If you acted correctly, he'll have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

22- Be polite. Be professional. Have a plan to shoot EVERYONE you meet or who is within range.

You find them funny because, deep down, you know they're absolutely true.
My favorites ^^^^^ :D

SergntMac
01-06-2005, 03:33 PM
I'd like to add my two personal favorites...IMHO;

26) There's a gun at EVERY call...YOURS!

27) He who starts a gunfight cannot call it off. Only you can end it.

Oh yeah...Remember, guns do not stop automobiles.

shakes_26
01-06-2005, 04:59 PM
I'd like to add my two personal favorites...IMHO;

26) There's a gun at EVERY call...YOURS!

27) He who starts a gunfight cannot call it off. Only you can end it.

Oh yeah...Remember, guns do not stop automobiles.
What about a Ma Deuce (MA2 .50 cal Heavy MG)?

CBT
01-06-2005, 05:10 PM

And there's always one less shell left than you think. Or in my case 2 less 'cause I like double-tapping like there's no tomorrow.

merc406
01-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Guns suck, nothing any good ever came from one.

hitchhiker
01-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Looks like we got us a gun thread here!

:D

Constable
01-06-2005, 05:38 PM
NOT A GUN THREAD.

Do Not Turn it Into One.

MM2004
01-06-2005, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE=Constable]
3- Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun that has a caliber number starting with less than "4".

Aaaahhh yes! ! ! !

> Judge Colt and his jury of seven! ! ! !

SergntMac
01-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Guns suck, nothing any good ever came from one.
Agreed, and with my whole heart. Nothing good comes from guns. Nothing.

Sorry guys, I gotta pull out what I just said. I'm not afraid of guns, they are beautiful machines. Engineering at it's finest, guns are spectacular examples of how well mankind can develop a machine for a particular purpose that fosters the advancement of mankind. Farm implements are second, I just hate what guns do.

If badguys don't have a guns they can't pull 'em, and I don't have to decide whether to use mine. Since there is a gun at every call (mine) seems I can't stop this violence.

I don't expect this to become "another gun thread," but y'all can take it where y'all want. A few of us here are LEOs, and have had to use our guns against others. That's never a good thing. This alone, destroys your life. You don't really survive, you just escape, for now.

The rest of us here will just suppose guns are good, needed, necessary, and...sadly...Justified. We'll have a good laugh about how a something caliber will beat out something else, or, how someone should have know better, or, done something else. It's all poser bulls*it.

No guns = no death, period. I don't care how bad the bad guy is, only God should sort them out.

Sorry y'all...Just in a particular mood about it all now. Hey...Let's just have some e-beers and do some e-burnouts, K? C'mon, whadda ya say? Enough of this e-gun s*it already?

Krytin
01-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Well said Mac.
I still own & enjoy firearms and still joke around w/certain people about them.
Unfortunately EVERYTHING you just said is very true!
Lets show some respect and prayers for the people who put themselves in harm's way to protect the rest of us, and leave the "kill" stories alone.

merc406
01-06-2005, 07:13 PM
That was a heartfelt reply Mac, I know I don't elaborate much on past experiences but like alot of people here this subject hit's home. Glad that we have people like you that protect us from people that are willing to do harm to others. Thank you.

CRUZTAKER
01-06-2005, 08:42 PM
With all due respect....these rules are not REALISTIC to the lamen.

Nice rules for YOU however.

My rule:

1: Avoid bullshat confrontationals.

jgc61sr2002
01-06-2005, 09:19 PM
With all due respect....these rules are not REALISTIC to the lamen.

Nice rules for YOU however.

My rule:

1: Avoid bullshat confrontationals.

Avoid all confrontations,

rayjay
01-06-2005, 09:24 PM
In a perfect world there would be no need for firearms. I will be dust eons before perfect evolves.
-and- #28, Never bring a knife to a gun fight.

Dr Caleb
01-07-2005, 09:22 AM
A few of us here are LEOs, and have had to use our guns against others. That's never a good thing. This alone, destroys your life. You don't really survive, you just escape, for now.

Well said Sarge. The same can be said for those of us who have been asked by our country to end someone else's service to theirs.

It's never a good outcome. Conflicts should be resolved in the future by thumbwrestling.

merc406
01-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Well said Sarge.

It's never a good outcome. Conflicts should be resolved in the future by thumbwrestling.

Or beer chugging! :beer: :beer:

captJ696
01-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Agreed, and with my whole heart. Nothing good comes from guns. Nothing.

No guns = no death, period. I don't care how bad the bad guy is, only God should sort them out.

Sorry y'all...Just in a particular mood about it all now. Hey...Let's just have some e-beers and do some e-burnouts, K? C'mon, whadda ya say? Enough of this e-gun s*it already?

^^^^^^^well said brother!

DL04
01-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Nice list Constable- really liked #11 & #17!

ParkRanger
01-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Agree with all except # 5.
Would change to: Multiple double taps as necessary.

PR :burnout:

Black03Marauder
01-10-2005, 12:19 PM
this seems to be careening towards a political thread so I might as well put my 2 cents in....

Granted...a world without guns would be nice, But we don't live in a world without guns. Sometimes people can't wait five minutes for police. As long as guns are used sensibly and kept out the hands of idiots and felons, there is no problem with them.

My cousin works in a prison, he says that any one of the people in that prison for burglary will tell you that if they knew that a house had a gun, they would never touch it. It's a proven fact too, studies say that between 60%-80% of burglars currently in prison would only break into unarmed houses.

Matt In Detroit
01-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Makes me wonder what the LE Officer to civilian ratio is In the US? 1to 2000, 1 to 5000? anyone have a number? I feel I cant wait or count on an officer to be exactly where I need him in an emergency. Therefore I will take the appropriate steps to protect my family. Funny list. Nothing good ever came from guns? I know ive had some good times with my brother making piles of brass in up north Michigan plinking away. Good old family fun and safe when done correctly...

Bluerauder
01-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Makes me wonder what the LE Officer to civilian ratio is In the US? 1to 2000, 1 to 5000? anyone have a number?
My suburban county of 300,000 people is budgeted for a ratio of 1.34 officers per 1,000 population. That works out to about 1 to 750. May be typical for a suburban area; but probably low for urban environments and high for rural. I am sure this varies somewhat by location and local crime rates.

Silver_04
01-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Nice list.