PDA

View Full Version : Gabriel vs Monroe air shocks 89 CV wagon

jaywish
01-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Hi,

I need to get a new set of air shocks for the Colony Park wagon.

I recently installed the factory air ride system from a parts car into my wagon but one of the used shocks leaks oil so I need a new set.

The gabriels can be had for $39 deliverd, the Monroes for $87.

Does anybody have experience with both brands to rate one over the other?

Generally I prefer Monroe to Gabriel but I don't have any knowledge to guage the air shocks by. They are hydralic/air not gas/air shocks.

It's the performance/durability that I'm interested in.

Thanks
Jay

wchain
01-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Hi,

I need to get a new set of air shocks for the Colony Park wagon.

I recently installed the factory air ride system from a parts car into my wagon but one of the used shocks leaks oil so I need a new set.

The gabriels can be had for $39 deliverd, the Monroes for $87.

Does anybody have experience with both brands to rate one over the other?

Generally I prefer Monroe to Gabriel but I don't have any knowledge to guage the air shocks by. They are hydralic/air not gas/air shocks.

It's the performance/durability that I'm interested in.

Thanks
Jay

IIRC the Monroes do have a Lifetime Warranty. You are doing Air shocks right/ Ride is really firm and can carry big loads.

Paul T. Casey
01-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Can't seem to remember which ones I put in my Country Squire, I do recall they are the higher end from Sears. This was about 5 years ago, and they still seem fine, hold air, and level the car. I ended up replacing the factory springs at the same time, the OEM's were prone to sag, and mine were shot. This wasn't much more expensive than the shock package, and I was very pleased with the results. Did both at the same time, so it's a little tough to tell which made the bigger difference.

jaywish
01-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Hi,

I think Sears is Gabriel now. I did put in the Sears load leveler shocks and the non air ride gabriels. They were so bad I took the shocks out and returned them to Sears (gotta love sears) and put in Monroe coil over shocks.

Should have put in air shocks from the getgo but at the time about 2/3 years ago the techs @ sears said they didn't sell air anymore.

Given that they didn't have air I should have skiped sears and did the job myself which I wound up doing anyway.

I checked the Monroe site and the Air shocks are not lifetime warranty, but most other types are.

Jay