PDA

View Full Version : Front Projection Displays - DMD/DLP, LCoS, LCD, which one and why?

metroplex
01-14-2005, 03:41 AM
Which one would you prefer if cost were not an issue? and why?
Which one would you prefer if cost WERE an issue? and Why?

Thanks in advance

N40GL
01-14-2005, 08:41 AM
Which one would you prefer if cost were not an issue? and why?
Which one would you prefer if cost WERE an issue? and Why?

Thanks in advance

There's a really good article in the latest Crutchfield catalog that explains the pros and cons of all this stuff.

Marauder
01-14-2005, 10:32 AM
I have a Panasonic 42" Plasma and I freakin love it. :banana2:

metroplex
01-14-2005, 10:59 AM
How long have you owned it? The reason I ask is because we're doing research on Plasma displays and generally speaking, the quality is great for about 1-2 years and then poof.... the performance/quality starts to degrade fast.

Dr Caleb
01-14-2005, 11:10 AM
Samsung DLP.

Better colour seperation and contrast than Plasma, cheaper and uses less power too. Buy a couple extra bulbs for it, and you'll be set for years.

Most models have at least 3 inputs that I require, plus one output.

No downsides and no sacrifices is why I'd buy one.

Right now, I have a Panasonic Gaoo 52" Rear projection, and I love it to bits.

FiveO
01-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Plasma is on its way out.

LCD or DLP is the future as of now.

Plasma TV's last 1/2 as long as LCD's.

I'm waitiing a bit longer to jump into the market....but will probably be going with DLP TV's.

I currently have 2- 50" 16x9 Toshiba rear projection TV's.

For the price....under $1500 each....I couldn't go wrong.

MSR7878
01-14-2005, 12:06 PM
I own a 65" rear projection and I love it, however to put any sort of entertainment center around it will cost as much as the TV did, and it takes up 17.5 square feet.

If I were in the market I'd go DLP, price is right and most of them are only 14-18 inches deep.

duhtroll
01-14-2005, 12:20 PM
I have a 57" Toshiba rear projection and love it also - Toshiba had the best stuff out when I bought this.

I agree on plasma. If there's ever a problem (and there will be) it's mucho dinero to fix.

I bought projection because two years ago plasma hadn't caught up yet. Looks like it still hasn't.

-A

Plasma is on its way out.

LCD or DLP is the future as of now.

Plasma TV's last 1/2 as long as LCD's.

I'm waitiing a bit longer to jump into the market....but will probably be going with DLP TV's.

I currently have 2- 50" 16x9 Toshiba rear projection TV's.

For the price....under $1500 each....I couldn't go wrong.

TechHeavy
01-14-2005, 04:12 PM
How long have you owned it? The reason I ask is because we're doing research on Plasma displays and generally speaking, the quality is great for about 1-2 years and then poof.... the performance/quality starts to degrade fast.
I have also read that Plasma displays can "burn-out" after a couple years.

I have a 57" Toshiba rear projection and love it also - Toshiba had the best stuff out when I bought this.

I agree on plasma. If there's ever a problem (and there will be) it's mucho dinero to fix.

I bought projection because two years ago plasma hadn't caught up yet. Looks like it still hasn't.

-A
Hitachi had the best display as of 2 years ago when I bought my 57" Ultravision Rear-Projection. While small, thin displays that you hang on the wall are sexy, what really matters is the picture quality and the length of reliable service, (especially with a $1500-$6000 investment).
With Rear-Projection, (provided you go this way... a smart choice IMO... even now...) you have to consider what's called "Points of convergence". These are points that focus the color from your 3 color lenses. The more points you have.... the sharper, clearer, and vibrant the picture. My Hitachi has 127 points of convergence. Mitubishi came in second, (on my list) with 20-some-odd... don't remember... and Toshiba shocked me with only 9 points of convergence.

Do your research... it pays off in the long run. :)

martyo
01-14-2005, 04:40 PM
With Rear-Projection, (provided you go this way... a smart choice IMO... even now...) you have to consider what's called "Points of convergence". These are points that focus the color from your 3 color lenses. The more points you have.... the sharper, clearer, and vibrant the picture. My Hitachi has 127 points of convergence. Mitubishi came in second, (on my list) with 20-some-odd... don't remember... and Toshiba shocked me with only 9 points of convergence.

I have had a 61"Sony rear projection since August of 1998. The TV still works great and gives a nice picture. It may not be as picture like as some of the newer models but i have been very pleased with the set. Meanwhile, it is hard to believe how much TV you get for a relatively low investment nowadays.

metroplex
01-14-2005, 04:48 PM
What do you think about DMD rear projectors? I believe the single-chip designs are subject to the rainbow effect of the color wheel, but the 3-chip designs are supposed to be free of this effect?

duhtroll
01-14-2005, 08:58 PM
Did the research. After I checked independent reviews, of course. Compared the quality of all included, (even went so far as to hook up the same video camera to each to see whose color was the most genuine) and then compared warmth of picture (different settings a given), brightness and clarity from narrow view angles, as well as compatibility/# of inputs/features. Oh, and warranty.

There were sharper pictures from straight ahead, but there were also displays that you could only see from straight ahead, also. Those didn't really turn me on as I have a family room with seating in more than one location.

Then I compared sound in much the same manner. I was using surround for movies but for just plain TV watchin' I don't have that on all the time.

Toshiba won. And it was on the cheaper half price-wise.

-A

I have also read that Plasma displays can "burn-out" after a couple years.

Hitachi had the best display as of 2 years ago when I bought my 57" Ultravision Rear-Projection. While small, thin displays that you hang on the wall are sexy, what really matters is the picture quality and the length of reliable service, (especially with a $1500-$6000 investment).

Do your research... it pays off in the long run. :)

Logan
01-15-2005, 10:55 AM
Let's see here...

I've got a 51" Sony Rear Projection HDTV in the Bedroom, a 42" Grand Wega LCD HDTV Rear Projection in the family room, a Dell 2300MP Projector in the Media Room (Holy Cow brightness and Contrast), and finally a Dell W3000 30" HDTV LCD TV/Monitor in the office... In fact, I'm staring at it right now.

****zle dizzle fo nizzle bizzle!

duhtroll
01-15-2005, 03:26 PM
That's why we like you Logan. You're "pimp-tastic."

;)

-A

duhtroll
01-15-2005, 07:19 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2005/01/15/technology/personaltech/big_tvs.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

Not much we don't know - just found it interesting it was on the news today.

-A