PDA

View Full Version : Sirius or XM?

wchain
01-14-2005, 01:22 PM
My Head unit (Pioneer AVH 6500 DVD) is XM ready, but I have been subscribed to Sirius for over two years.

What do you guys prefer?

I am more familiar with the Sirius channel list, but I'm open to try something new.

I think if I remove the PS2 and plug the sirius receiver in that, I dont have to do extensive rewiring.....

anyone tried both?

shakes_26
01-14-2005, 01:41 PM
XM versus Sirius

Well my friends BIL (brother in law) works for a group codeveloping for both XM and Sirius. So he, his family have both XM and Sirius. So their consensus between tennagers and adults is this;

Sirius has a better programming. For example, they have a few 70's channels, there is one that plays top 40, one plays one hit wonders from that era, etc, etc. Whereas XM has 70's channels, they tend to play EVERY song from the 70's, and I guess not all of them were good. But I use the 70's as an example, it holds true across the board. :soapbox: (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=25#)

I like the XM hardware, but I do like the Sirius programmign better, so I am still on the fence.

My Head unit (Pioneer AVH 6500 DVD) is XM ready, but I have been subscribed to Sirius for over two years.

What do you guys prefer?

I am more familiar with the Sirius channel list, but I'm open to try something new.

I think if I remove the PS2 and plug the sirius receiver in that, I dont have to do extensive rewiring.....

anyone tried both?

Brutus
01-14-2005, 01:59 PM
I seem to recall watching a program on Speed Channel where a person from XM was talking about the deals they were making with auto manufacturers to include their service with their new vehicles. They gave the impression that this was going to make them the force in the sat. radio buisness. Might be something to consider as far as the future of the sat. radio providers.

Paul T. Casey
01-14-2005, 02:16 PM
I have neither, and will probably remain that way. That being said, I would prefer if anyone going with satellite radio chooses Sirrius. I jumped on the stock at just over 2 bucks, and have enjoyed the recent bump. If we can get it to say $60, I'll only have to sell a hundred shares for a supercharger.

Heavy351
01-14-2005, 02:43 PM
I have XM and the Skyfi tuner presently mounted to an AC vent.... in other words, not permanently. After I do some research here I know I will have mounting questions.

Still trying to decide what stations I like listening to. 70's are extensive, The 80's are great. never liked the 90's then so not listening to them now.

I used to have "DMX" that was something like 30 music channels through my cable TV box and this is WAY better than that.

BPM, XMU, FRED, and XM Music Lab are on all the time. So far so good I think. I wonder if this is done "live" or is it a loop that repeats like every 12 hours? I do hear some repetition on some channels.

To like one provider over another is a really subjective choice. XM allows you to listen to all the channels for 3 days for free over the net and I did before I decided...

2003_MM_FYRE49
01-14-2005, 04:25 PM
I have XM in the Marauder and Sirius in the Mountaineer. XM blows Sirius away IMO. There just seems to be a lot better programming on XM and they are a lot easier to deal with than Sirius. I almost did not put the factory unit in the Mountaineer because of the way I was treated by the jerkoff's at Sirius. but again that is my opinion I know others here don't feel the way I do, if you could listen to each for a while somehow it would certainly be easier to make up your mind.

MarauderMark
01-14-2005, 05:30 PM
I have XM in the Marauder and Sirius in the Mountaineer. XM blows Sirius away IMO. There just seems to be a lot better programming on XM and they are a lot easier to deal with than Sirius. I almost did not put the factory unit in the Mountaineer because of the way I was treated by the jerkoff's at Sirius. but again that is my opinion I know others here don't feel the way I do, if you could listen to each for a while somehow it would certainly be easier to make up your mind.

Sure as heck ai'nt looking forward to this..
I have the xm just not hooked up still in box.but planned on getting sirius just so i can listen to howard stern.this poll rocks...

hdwrench
01-14-2005, 06:32 PM
i have sirius

i wont support clear channel buy getting xm

klmore
01-14-2005, 06:34 PM
Sure as heck ai'nt looking forward to this..
I have the xm just not hooked up still in box.but planned on getting sirius just so i can listen to howard stern.this poll rocks...
I had XM in my Excursion and then traded it on a new Suburban that has XM built in. I kept the system out of the Excursion for my MM, but I can't bring myself to put the bulky XM stuff on my car. I like the XM service.

I don't care for Howard Stern, but I think in the coming years it will boil down to who you want to listen to and pick your service from there. :)

GA-Marauder
01-14-2005, 07:01 PM
I voted have/love Sirius, but its only through my Satellite TV system. I am very impressed by the programming, however. Especially some of the more eclectic channels which play things such as "deep cuts" and obscure rock from the day. I am seriously (no pun intended) considering install in the MM.:coolman:

hdwrench
01-14-2005, 07:07 PM
u can go to sirius.com and get a 3 day pass to listen to it on your pc. once your a subcriber u can do that all the time... at work etc if u want. but the 3 days will help u make u decision. i tried that before i bought it and i loved it. i now have 2 receivers.

dwasson
01-14-2005, 08:01 PM
Hanging with buddies who have both, I have learned a couple things about them.

Big issues:

XM has many more subscribers and is better financed. If one is going to fail my bet is that it will be Sirius.

XM has better mix of music stations but Sirius may have better sound.

And if it matters to you, Sirius will have Howard Stern.

XM has local traffic and weather for about 20 major markets.

... and most importantly to me, XM has X-Country, Deep Tracks, Musiclab and a bunch of latin music.

Silver_04
01-14-2005, 08:10 PM
I didn't vote but here's my input...

XM because it seems to be good service. I'm going on two years with them and couldn't be happier.

Sirius because I own their stock and the more people subscribe, the more my stock goes up.

Overall, I've heard good and bad about both. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

jjaguda
01-14-2005, 08:12 PM
I seem to recall watching a program on Speed Channel where a person from XM was talking about the deals they were making with auto manufacturers to include their service with their new vehicles. They gave the impression that this was going to make them the force in the sat. radio buisness. Might be something to consider as far as the future of the sat. radio providers.Ford now has a deal with Sirius (as well as several other manufacturers). My '04 MACH 1 has a "factory" Sirius head unit with a "factory" Sirius tuner. Works very well while looking/being OEM. Also have Sirius in my '03 MM, wife's Saturn Vue, and have the Kenwood Sirius home component unit.

I like Sirius.

hdwrench
01-14-2005, 08:16 PM
i think xm is the next betamax

dwasson
01-14-2005, 09:18 PM
i think xm is the next betamax

I don't know what that is based on. XM has 2 1/2 times the subscriber base as Sirius.

Here's the C-Net comparison (http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-6466_16-5068442-1.html).

Check it out.

hdwrench
01-14-2005, 09:33 PM
I don't know what that is based on. XM has 2 1/2 times the subscriber base as Sirius.

Here's the C-Net comparison (http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-6466_16-5068442-1.html).

Check it out.
right now they are bigger... but that wont last long with their censorship campaign ie clear channel... and with stern goin to sirius...millions more subscribers

klmore
01-14-2005, 10:03 PM
right now they are bigger... but that wont last long with their censorship campaign ie clear channel... and with stern goin to sirius...millions more subscribers There are just as many clear channel listeners if not more than Howard Stern. Wait until the major talk radio players get into satellite radio. They will also drag many subscribers with them. Howard Stern has not proven to be an asset to Sirius yet. Only time will tell.

From what I've read Sirius is only expecting a best of a million subscribers from Stern and is counting on Stern to bring home the bacon. If he doesn't Sirius is in serious trouble (no pun intended). Stern burned all the bridges he had in regular radio on his way out so his future is limited if it doesn't work out at Sirius.

Then there is the FCC. Anyone who thinks they won't regulate this new form of media is smoking crack. It's not a matter of if it's a matter of when. Viacom or Clear Channel could buy Sirius in the future. Who knows?

Don't get me wrong I looked at Sirius stock way back when and I wish I would have bought it, but XM has better cash flow and as we all know CASH is king.
:soap:

Stepping off soap box. :)

Murader03
01-14-2005, 10:36 PM
I went with XM due to the fact they had NasCar racing. I'm on the road a lot on Saturday's and Sundays and can't watch the tube to see the racing. They also have college football and I can at times listen to my favorite Big10 team. I wish they had signed on the NFL instead of MLB though. Since I live in an area where FM is hard to grab with the embedded rear window antenna, XM fits the bill and a slightly less monthly cost.

Amsoil_Dealer
01-15-2005, 05:49 AM
I went with XM due to the fact they had NasCar racing. I'm on the road a lot on Saturday's and Sundays and can't watch the tube to see the racing. They also have college football and I can at times listen to my favorite Big10 team. I wish they had signed on the NFL instead of MLB though. Since I live in an area where FM is hard to grab with the embedded rear window antenna, XM fits the bill and a slightly less monthly cost.

My wife bought the XM system for me for precisely these reasons. Nascar and Big Ten Football - I too would love to have NFL football.

I have the SkY Fi Receiver and it is OK. I am also trying to figure out how to mount it as it is kind of ugly. Fo now I simly leave the receiver in my center console compartment.

I love the programming and find myself listening to Watercolors 71 and Hear Music 75 the most. The uncensored comedy is pretty good too when I am in that mood.

Don

mrjones
01-15-2005, 08:18 AM
Hey, this poll doesn't let me vote right! I've got XM and Sirius, and I like them both. I've got a Roady that I got because it's easy to move from car to car, and I get the Sirius music channels on my Dish Network at home. I'm not familiar with the Sirius channels other than music, but I like the Sirius music channels better than the XM music channels. I've been considering giving my Roady to my brother and buying a Sirius receiver for myself. Does Sirius have anything that's as easily moved from car to car as the Roady?

bigslim
01-15-2005, 08:53 AM
It was stated earlier that XM has traffic updates. Sirius has weather and traffic updates dedicated to one station for most of the major markets. I can give you a little run down of Sirius. There are ESPN, E-Televison and some comedy stations. There is R&B, RAP, Country, Rock, Christian, Old Standards, 60s, 70s, 80s, Jazz, Tropical, Latino and Kids music. Most have a 2-5 stations dedicated to that kind of music. I went with Sirius because at the start Sirius was commercial free on all their stations where XM wasn't. Good luck with your choice.

wchain
01-17-2005, 08:27 AM
I'm probably going to go back with Sirius, one of the reasons, subscribers dont pay to listen to it over the net. WIth XM, you pay 3/mo if you're a subscriber, and 7 if you're not.

Will make the decision this friday!
Thanks all!
W

woaface
01-17-2005, 08:39 AM
I wish I would have gotten Sirius. The music selection quality, is much better. My dad has it in the Cobra

dwasson
01-26-2005, 11:49 AM
Sirius CEO shoots down newspaper report that satellite radio providers eye possible deal.

January 26, 2005: 12:18 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Sirius Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio are holding preliminary talks on a possible merger, a newspaper said Wednesday, but Sirius CEO Mel Karmazin denied the report.

The New York Post said the discussions between the two players in the growing satellite radio market are in the early stages, adding that executives have not yet discussed price. But discussions have been held about potential antitrust concerns, the Post reported.

But Karmazin shot down the report Wednesday morning, telling industry analysts during an earnings conference call that he has not met with either the CEO or chairman of XM, and that he had "no idea" where the rumor originated. Later in the call, he said antitrust approval for such a merger would be "difficult" to get.

A deal would create a monopoly in the segment. But the newspaper said that XM (Research) and Sirius (Research) are hoping a deal would be allowed if the Federal Communications Commission considers satellite radio as part of the broader industry delivering music and other content through mobile devices, such as cell phones.

Sirius has a stock market worth of about $7.9 billion, compared to XM's market cap of $6.9 billion, despite the greater revenue. XM had forecast sales of $80 million last year, according to First Call, compared with an estimated $70 million for Sirius. Sirius is set to report results Wednesday.

Both providers have exclusive content to provide their customers. Sirius made news late last year giving controversial radio host Howard Stern a $500 million contract to move to its service in 2006. The Post reports that Merrill Lynch analyst Laraine Mancini said one of the chief risks of investing in the companies' shares is a potential price war and "irrational bidding" for content.

The newspaper said that a possible merger got a lift from Sirius (Research)' decision to hire former Viacom (Research) President Mel Karmazin as CEO in November.

"Mel is a roll-up guy, a deal guy," said one source close to Karmazin.

The Post said Sirius would not comment on the report and XM did not return a call seeking comment.

hdwrench
01-26-2005, 01:29 PM
Sirius CEO shoots down newspaper report that satellite radio providers eye possible deal.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Sirius Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio are holding preliminary talks on a possible merger, a newspaper said Wednesday, but Sirius CEO Mel Karmazin denied the report.

The New York Post said the discussions between the two players in the growing satellite radio market are in the early stages, adding that executives have not yet discussed price. But discussions have been held about potential antitrust concerns, the Post reported.

But Karmazin shot down the report Wednesday morning, telling industry analysts during an earnings conference call that he has not met with either the CEO or chairman of XM, and that he had "no idea" where the rumor originated. Later in the call, he said antitrust approval for such a merger would be "difficult" to get.

A deal would create a monopoly in the segment. But the newspaper said that XM (Research) and Sirius (Research) are hoping a deal would be allowed if the Federal Communications Commission considers satellite radio as part of the broader industry delivering music and other content through mobile devices, such as cell phones.

Sirius has a stock market worth of about $7.9 billion, compared to XM's market cap of $6.9 billion, despite the greater revenue. XM had forecast sales of $80 million last year, according to First Call, compared with an estimated $70 million for Sirius. Sirius is set to report results Wednesday.

Both providers have exclusive content to provide their customers. Sirius made news late last year giving controversial radio host Howard Stern a $500 million contract to move to its service in 2006. The Post reports that Merrill Lynch analyst Laraine Mancini said one of the chief risks of investing in the companies' shares is a potential price war and "irrational bidding" for content.

The newspaper said that a possible merger got a lift from Sirius (Research)' decision to hire former Viacom (Research) President Mel Karmazin as CEO in November.

The Post said Sirius would not comment on the report and XM did not return a call seeking comment.
sounds like we are all gonna get bent over if that goes through

rookie1
01-26-2005, 02:15 PM

No way , no how, doesn't make any sense for them to merge.
1 - different technologies, no cost savings there
2 - FTC - they are the only 2 players in the Sat radio if the FTC was to determine that there is such a thing.
3 - The automakers are still choosing sides, GM has gone with XM and Ford has gone with Sirius.
4 - I don't believe Sirius has turned a profit yet. If so, it was only recently.

On a related note, Howard Stern can rag about the FCC as much as he wants. The simple fact is that Sirius is paying him more than double what he is currently making. Raging against the FCC and censorship only sreves as advertising for his move.

Silver_04
01-26-2005, 07:13 PM
2 - FTC - they are the only 2 players in the Sat radio if the FTC was to determine that there is such a thing.
3 - The automakers are still choosing sides, GM has gone with XM and Ford has gone with Sirius.
4 - I don't believe Sirius has turned a profit yet. If so, it was only recently.

On a related note, Howard Stern can rag about the FCC as much as he wants. The simple fact is that Sirius is paying him more than double what he is currently making. Raging against the FCC and censorship only sreves as advertising for his move.

Just a couple of comments...
1) My EE and software buddies in the audio biz have told me there isn't a lot of difference between the two systems. Also, if you look on the XM lineup there are several gaps between some of the genres and it's been rumored that those gaps were left intentionally for when XM "acquired" Sirius.
2) I see this as the only sticking point for a potential merger.
3) The automakers can't keep this up forever. They are going to have to offer dual systems in the near future and I actually believe they are hurting satellite radio by not doing so already.
4) Sirius nor XM have turned a profit yet, both are bleeding big red.

I'm pulling for them to merge cause I want my stock to go up and then I can buy more cars. :D

dwasson
01-26-2005, 09:35 PM

When Direct TV bought their competition (Primestar?) within a year they replaced the other stuff with Direct TV equipment.

And the FTC had a little snit before saying, "Go ahead, screw the public."

Mike Poore
01-27-2005, 06:08 PM

What do you guys prefer?

anyone tried both?
Wes, I HAD XM and gave it up because of, IMHO, the suck ass programming. Here's an example, and the straw that broke the camel's back. I love old time radio and when I asked they said they were not playing some of the programs because of contractual agreements. Anyway, one day, on my way to work, they played the first half of a Lone Ranger episode, and when it was over, they played the Green Hornet. When I asked about it, they said they just play 'em randomly, and didn't bother with programming. Also, I was lead to believe I'd be hearing a lot more talk radio. No Rush, or Tony Kornheiser, or any of the guys I like to listen to. I can't say Sirus is any better, or worse, but XM wasn't worth $120 a year, to me, at least.:twocents:

Mattsmerc
01-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Sirius is what I have ,and while I'm typing this I can listen on my computer at the same time

Merc-O-matic
01-29-2005, 08:40 AM
At my age satellite radio means nothing!
I still listen to the "Beach Boys" on (45's) at home.

Gotta Love It!

jgc61sr2002
01-29-2005, 09:28 AM
At my age satellite radio means nothing!
I still listen to the "Beach Boys" on (45's) at home.

Gotta Love It!

And what's wrong with that. :D :up:

ADE 1000
01-29-2005, 01:06 PM
My dad has XM in his Cadillac SRX and I experienced SIRIUS in a Town Car a recently rented in Florida.

Although the aftermarket Audiovox interface that was added to the Town Car was a total POS, I preferred the channel selection on SIRIUS to XM given my taste in music.

AzMarauder
01-29-2005, 08:38 PM

What do you guys prefer?

anyone tried both?
I have XM (have for several years) in my cars.

I have Sirius thru my cable television.

XM programming for Classic Rock (if you want to call it that) is broken up by year... 60, 70, 80, 90 and Top Tracks.

Sirius provides what I want on one channel... Classic Vinyl.

I lived thru those eras ... the XM play list is limited.... I can drive for 12 hours and hear the same song twice... rediculous. Many groups are omitted or have very few of their songs played.

Top Tracks.... some of the songs on that... I don't know where it was a TOP TRACK... but not on any radio station I every listened to.

I prefer Sirius... I just haven't decided to cough up the money to retrofit all my cars so I am stuck with XM. Sirius also has a much better customer relations system. Even a way to request songs.

Satellite Radio is the bomb tho... regardless of which one you pick.

AzMarauder
01-29-2005, 08:40 PM
I seem to recall watching a program on Speed Channel where a person from XM was talking about the deals they were making with auto manufacturers to include their service with their new vehicles. They gave the impression that this was going to make them the force in the sat. radio buisness. Might be something to consider as far as the future of the sat. radio providers.
BOth these services have competed for support from manufacturers etc. You look at the different aftermarket radios and you see the same thing. One brand is XM .. the other is Sirius.

nelsonrock
02-07-2005, 10:34 AM
I debated for years over which service and radio to get. I've invested in both XM and Sirius since 2001 and watched XM launch one of their satellites over the web. I've also listened to both services.

I finally decided on XM with the TERK Commander. The services seem pretty much the same on first examination. I noticed the comments about the quality and quantity of the music selections on Sirius v. XM, but so far I haven't been disappointed with XM.

The TERK Commander, as others have noted, fits right in with the styling of the MM. I have an '04, so I placed it between the OEM radio and the climate control, where the clock is on the '03s. I had the installer drill through the plastic, so there are no cables showing. It looks like it belongs there. Also, the antenna is less than half the size of most others I've seen.

The sound quality for music is fantastic! I couldn't be more pleased. The OEM speakers never sounded so good. I was thinking of upgrading the speakers before I got XM. No more.

For anyone living in a radio wasteland (I live near Detroit), I would highly recommend satellite radio.

mrjones
02-07-2005, 01:35 PM
[QUOTE=nelsonrock] I noticed the comments about the quality and quantity of the music selections on Sirius v. XM, but so far I haven't been disappointed with XM.

I still like my XM, but I would like it even more if I hadn't heard the Sirius stations at home on my Dish Network. For those long trips I usually take in the summer out west through the real radio "wasteland", I wouldn't wanna do without it.