PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Impala SS

duhtroll
01-19-2005, 06:11 PM
Just saw an ad IN THE LOCAL PAPER from a local dealer about the 2006 Impalas. The SS has a 5.3L V8 optional with 303 HP. It's still FWD but they mentioned some cool options like a Bose audio system and other ameneties.

These can't possibly be out yet. The thing still looks like a Corsica, but it should haul some serious a$$.

Looks like everyone but Ford got the idea.

-A

Krytin
01-19-2005, 06:15 PM
With that kind of HP the front right CV joint wont last long!

hdwrench
01-19-2005, 06:19 PM
they could have 400 hp but theyd still be ugly and FWD

jgc61sr2002
01-19-2005, 06:23 PM
Just saw an ad IN THE LOCAL PAPER from a local dealer about the 2006 Impalas. The SS has a 5.3L V8 optional with 303 HP. It's still FWD but they mentioned some cool options like a Bose audio system and other ameneties.

These can't possibly be out yet. The thing still looks like a Corsica, but it should haul some serious a$$.

-A
IMO that is too much H.P. for a front wheel drive car.

2005Marauder
01-19-2005, 07:02 PM
It's front page on the chevy.com website.
I used to be a big chevy fan up until 1985.
Looking to replace the '96 Tbird--NOT the DTR Marauder.
From what I can tell Ford L/M doesn't have anything close to this.
Am I wrong?

Drives03Maraude
01-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Just get a Impala SS from like 94', they will have fun fighting in the driveway! :bop:

-Dennis Stiles

MarauderMark
01-19-2005, 07:19 PM
Been there done that and will never do it again..I hate FWD!!! :puke:

QWK SVT
01-19-2005, 08:40 PM

-A
They're not due out until sometime in fall. Betcha the 240HP '05 SS (Ssupercharged 3.8L) will drop in sales ;) I thought about one for a bit, before the Marauder...

Unless they've made BIG changes, there's too much power for this FWD platform. One of my co-workers just come from GM, and worked on this project (aparently, squeezing the 5.3L between the wheel wells was not easy task). I'll have to ask him about it, tomorrow.

QWK SVT
01-19-2005, 08:45 PM
It's front page on the chevy.com website.
I used to be a big chevy fan up until 1985.
Looking to replace the '96 Tbird--NOT the DTR Marauder.
From what I can tell Ford L/M doesn't have anything close to this.
Am I wrong?
If you really wanted a new Impala, why don't you look at an '05? The GTP drivetrain is mod friendly, and can motivate the car into some pretty quick times. 'Sides, it looks a lot better than this:
http://www.fast-autos.net/chevrolet/06impalass.jpg

Joe Walsh
01-19-2005, 09:47 PM
JEEZ....What is that UGLY P.O.S.???? an SS Honda Accord??? :puke:

303 hp FWD, hmmmmm.....can you say "TORQUE STEER" ?

That'll be one quick car.................heading directly into the ditch.

bigslim
01-19-2005, 11:49 PM
I took these at the autoshow.

teamrope
01-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Is it just me, or are all of the new cars starting to look the same? :dunno:

Can you say But ugly? :puke:

Wagonmaster
01-20-2005, 01:11 AM

Nope, its not just you, since the early to mid ninety's they've all looked the same.....ala' a used bar of soap with wheels. I'm a hardcore, longtime Chevrolet fanatic. Outside of the overpriced vette, I'd be ashamed to drive any bowtie product currently being rollerstamped out of the factory. What a joke!

GT

Patrick
01-20-2005, 01:11 AM

I would use the tearm Fugly!!!

Geo
01-20-2005, 04:39 AM
The Monte Carlo gets the same V8 as does the Grand Prix GXP!

I know in the GP GXP the front wheels are 1" wider and the front tires are 255s as opposed to 235s in the rear. This is to prevent torque steer and steering with throttle issues. Also the LS4 V8 was significantly modified to be a FWD engine for it to fit and it even has special oil baffles inside mounted differently than that of RWD cars so the engine isn't starved of oil when the driver hits the brakes for example since the motor isn't North South but East West mounted.

Still pathetic (GM is making a great argument for RWD which is what they want to do).

Rider90
01-20-2005, 04:41 AM
You know that car won't sell much when even the Impala forums, the biggest supporters for the Impala name & development, think its fugly.

And fugly it is! :razz:

DL04
01-20-2005, 05:04 AM
Now I'll have to get a S/C -can't let that fugly thing beat my MM :depress:

Bradley G
01-20-2005, 06:17 AM
Isn't torque steer a thing of the past?I though even GM would have gotten around to copying(other mfgrs) a coupleing to share the torque from the front axles?Bradley G

Rider90
01-20-2005, 06:27 AM
torque steer seems to be a thing of the past with the cadillacs. We have an 05 DTS and you can floor it and you can keep the wheel straight with one finger. We had an 01 Impala LS a while back that when you floored it you really had to hold onto it!

jgc61sr2002
01-20-2005, 07:53 AM

I conur. Yes the new cars all look the same.

blackf0rk
01-20-2005, 08:08 AM
Yea, looks totally like the Honda Accord :( I use to be an Impala man if you remember - sad to see this but it's true. All the guys over at the NAIOA aren't happy either ;)

2005Marauder
01-20-2005, 11:46 AM
There is one advantage to all cars looking alike.
Very confusing to the LEOs and road rage idiots. I can't blend into traffic with the Big, Red, DTR MM--it sticks out like a sore thumb. Especially when you merge in with a bunch of Civics. With the new Impalla, Charger, GTO, etc seems to me to it will be easier to confuse it with other cars and that may not be such a bad thing depending on your driving habits.

BillyGman
01-21-2005, 12:16 AM
Do all (or atleast most) cars look the same? I have to say a resounding YES!!! They all have that door wedge look just as the car of this topic does. :puke:

Silver_04
01-22-2005, 07:06 AM
Everytime a FWD car is purchased...God kills a puppy. Please think of the puppies, buy RWD.

Krytin
01-22-2005, 08:22 AM
Everytime a FWD car is purchased...God kills a puppy. Please think of the puppies, buy RWD.
Kind of sick - but I like it! LOL!

GodOSpeed
01-22-2005, 09:23 AM
I had to do a second take on that car I thought it was a Taurus! It just goes to show ya how much influence Nascar has on this segment!

QWK SVT
01-22-2005, 01:12 PM
:laugh:

Actually, this is just a prelude... The RWD version is only a few years away.

PJR
01-22-2005, 01:37 PM
In my opinion it's ugly now and getting uglier!! The worst part is that when my CVPI hits 100,000, I will have to drive one. (I'm at 94,000 now) I just hope the city buys something different before I need a new unit.

Silver_04
01-22-2005, 08:22 PM
:laugh:

Actually, this is just a prelude... The RWD version is only a few years away.

That's what I've been hearing too. Hopefully the future is a bright one.

QWK SVT
01-22-2005, 10:50 PM
That's what I've been hearing too. Hopefully the future is a bright one.
As for the FWD V8, don't think I'll be running to the dealer. Not too keen on the looks, never been a big FWD fan, and don't like what they had to do, to shoehorn the motor into the engine bay (including shortening the crank, ever-so-slightly).

The fleet market has more RWD options, which will likely hurt Impala sales (taxis, police, etc. is BIG bucks). I think the RWD Impala is more than just rumor... Just a matter of time. They did this all for a reason... To say, "look what we can do - Now just imagine if it was a RWD platform!"

Honestly, it sounds like the General is starting to align their offerings to the customer... Rumors a plenty about some cool hi-po offerings, including reviving the Chevelle, Camaro and Grand National names.:eek: Ford has brought us... Uhm... The mighty 500???:depress: Here's hoping Ford has something up their sleeve:help:

Murkey
01-30-2005, 12:59 AM
I have faith in ford...although them killing off the Litning kinda hurts...But, I say within 2-3 yrs, they will come out with something better then a ghey bowtie RWD platform...Can we hope for a 300+ HP RWD sport sedan?!?!?!?

~Murk