PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Volvo drivers?

dwasson
01-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Here's (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/01/20/DDGB6ASH711.DTL) one man's opinion.

CRUZTAKER
01-20-2005, 12:43 PM
I don't have much to say about Volvo drivers....but that fellow left out one of the biggest problem groups on the roadways today.

Saturn drivers!

From what I learned from a Saturn salesman a few years back, there is a small moron test one must pass to legally drive a Saturn on public roadways.

Bluerauder
01-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Volvo drivers always seem to me to be overly cautiously and timid. Very indecisive on the roadway. IMHO. :D

Saturns seem to be owned primarily by scatterbrained kamikazes. Of course, that is only my opinion. :rolleyes:

Owners of Marauders are decisive adventurers and are purpose driven. Sure wish that I could see more of them on the road. :up:

Since I spend a good deal of time on the road, I once considered a diary of driver profiles based on their car of choice. Never got to it and profiling would have probably been considered very Politically Incorrect. :argue:

LordVader
01-20-2005, 02:36 PM
:cool: Volvo drivers tend to be soccer Moms and CPA Dads, looking for the safest transport for their munchkins and laptop computers. They also like to hog the passing lane while acting as rolling roadblocks or change lanes without the benefit of turn signals. I looked at one once..didn't bother with test drive because of the attitude of the salesman. I guess I didn't look like I belonged to the "have" class.

Paul T. Casey
01-20-2005, 02:40 PM
One of my more frequent sayings is, "People who drive Volvos probably should."

wchain
01-20-2005, 02:48 PM
One of my more frequent sayings is, "People who drive Volvos probably should."

This is a pic of the Volvo Wagon I just sold (not the actual car, but looked just like this one)

http://media3.motorcities.com/01IRJ025998857C.jpeg

Never thought I'd own one, but for people with kids, they're great. The 850R High Pressure turbo, grey wheels, big brakes, and fast for a wagon.....

MM2004
01-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Yep, They're boxy, . . but good!

Joe Walsh
01-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Personally, I think that Honda driver's are some of the most oblivious, can't decide which lane to drive in, turn at the last second without any turn signal, drive 55 mph in the passing lane idiots on the road.
Of course these are the same people who buy those absolutely useless CRVs because they are 'cute'.
They would gladly buy and drive a refrigerator with wheels if you put a 'Honda' sticker on it!! (AND they would pay 'ADP'/Additional Dealer Profit if Honda purposely held down deliveries to the dealer to make them rare. OOOOOH!)

MyTMerc
01-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Volvo drivers always seem to me to be overly cautiously and timid. Very indecisive on the roadway. IMHO. :D

Saturns seem to be owned primarily by scatterbrained kamikazes. Of course, that is only my opinion. :rolleyes:

Owners of Marauders are decisive adventurers and are purpose driven. Sure wish that I could see more of them on the road. :up:

Since I spend a good deal of time on the road, I once considered a diary of driver profiles based on their car of choice. Never got to it and profiling would have probably been considered very Politically Incorrect. :argue:Charlie,
I like your version of palm reading. I'd like to hear your views on drivers of Pink Cadillacs, VW Cabriolets, and Yugos.

Mike Poore
01-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Here's (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/01/20/DDGB6ASH711.DTL) one man's opinion.
One of my colleagues bought a Volvo while a grad student at Penn State. He used to say, "it never runs great, but it always runs", and, "It's the thinking man's car". I often wondered what the hell he could possibly have been thinking about? It was a total pile of crap, and in my opinion NEVER ran. The leather seats were a mess and finally, one day, I took him to the local Ford dealership, picked out a white F-150 with a 300 stump puller six and a 5sp gear box with bench seat, and said, "Here, buy this truck". He did, and I attained local hero status.

Bluerauder
01-20-2005, 05:19 PM
"Here, buy this truck". He did, and I attained local hero status.
Way to go Lone Ranger .... I mean Kemosabi !!! :rofl:

dwasson
01-20-2005, 06:07 PM
Volvo wagons are the only newer cars that carry bumper stickers that make me want to rear end them.

You'd never see a, "Don't Nuke the Gay Baby Whales for Jesus" sticker on a Marauder.

Rob1559
01-20-2005, 06:12 PM
How about BMW drivers.

vpalhories
01-20-2005, 07:07 PM
To throw in my two cents. I personally don't believe that the car you drive is entirely to blame for stupidities, rudeness and down-right dangerous driving habits of drivers out there. No matter what car they drive, an idiot is still an idiot. You can put them in a Volvo, Saturn or even a Marauder ... they'll still do the same things.

My wife drives a Volvo. She's never owned any other type of car except a 67 Camaro (which we no longer have). She is definately one of the best drivers I've ridden with. Sure ... I'm possibly a little biased ;).

In anycase, my particular gripe is with young drivers (teenagers and early twenties) and folks in SUV's. Although I also own an SUV (drive it instead of the Marauder in the winter) I find that most SUV drivers drive the same way regardless of how much snow, ice or water there is on the road. They believe they are invincible just because it's a 4-wheel drive.

Bluerauder
01-20-2005, 07:42 PM
In anycase, my particular gripe is with young drivers (teenagers and early twenties) and folks in SUV's.
Yes, I guess there are exceptions to any generalization. Volvos and young folks included. :) There is only one driver that I have ever felt comfortable with while I'm sitting in the passenger seat and that's my youngest son. He's 21 and mirrors my driving habits to a Tee. He's a Marauder fan as well and the only one that I really trust with the car 'cause he'll drive it as if it were his own. :D

Mike Poore
01-21-2005, 07:52 AM
Yes, I guess there are exceptions to any generalization. Volvos and young folks included. :) There is only one driver that I have ever felt comfortable with while I'm sitting in the passenger seat and that's my youngest son. He's 21 and mirrors my driving habits to a Tee. He's a Marauder fan as well and the only one that I really trust with the car 'cause he'll drive it as if it were his own. :D
As the tax rates rise, along with other contributing factors causing citizens to flee Massachusetts into neighboring states, New Hampshire, mostly, the ever increasing march of northward moving yuppies is known as the Volvo line. Rather contemptuously by native New Hampshireites, I might add. ;)

Bradley G
01-21-2005, 08:05 AM
There is one word that comes to mind; Entitlement?:rolleyes:

Bradley G

Bluerauder
01-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Charlie,
I like your version of palm reading. I'd like to hear your views on drivers of Pink Cadillacs, VW Cabriolets, and Yugos.
OK, here goes:

--- Pink Cadillac owners are all show and no go. More interested in flash than function. Typical owners are May Kay Cosmetics saleswomen, pimps and the King of Rock and Roll "Thank ya ... thank ya very much". Stay out of the way of these folks 'cause they think they own the road.

--- VW Cabriolet typically driven by 18-24 year old female hotrods. Leadfoots on the road; but a little slow on the brakes. If it gets busted, Daddy will buy 'em another.

--- Yugo drivers are desperate folks with extremely limited resources. If they had another $5 they could have bought a real car. These vehicles are never on the road long enough for their owners to develop habits at all. Always dangling from the hook on a tow truck or being loaded onto a roll back.

How's that?? :dunno:

Mike Poore
01-21-2005, 04:58 PM
OK, here goes:

--- Pink Cadillac owners ...

--- VW Cabriolet typically driven by 18-24 year old female hotrods. ...
--- Yugo drivers ...If they had another $5 they could have bought a real car.

Can't do any better'n that, Charlie!:high5:

MyTMerc
01-21-2005, 07:17 PM
OK, here goes:

--- Pink Cadillac owners are all show and no go. More interested in flash than function. Typical owners are May Kay Cosmetics saleswomen, pimps and the King of Rock and Roll "Thank ya ... thank ya very much". Stay out of the way of these folks 'cause they think they own the road.

--- VW Cabriolet typically driven by 18-24 year old female hotrods. Leadfoots on the road; but a little slow on the brakes. If it gets busted, Daddy will buy 'em another.

--- Yugo drivers are desperate folks with extremely limited resources. If they had another $5 they could have bought a real car. These vehicles are never on the road long enough for their owners to develop habits at all. Always dangling from the hook on a tow truck or being loaded onto a roll back.

How's that?? :dunno:Your right, you have a talent for this. :bows: Maybe a weekly column on MM.net? "Cars and (their) Drivers"

MyTMerc
01-21-2005, 07:25 PM
A friend of mine bought a Yugo when they first came out when I lived in Maine. He took a couple of us for a ride to so us his new pride and joy. Unfortunately, when he tried to navigate up one of the many hills with 3 grown men in the car, we had to get out a push. :help: It was the little engine that couldn't. He was so embarassed, he took it back to the dealer a few days later and bought a Cutlass.

hitchhiker
01-21-2005, 07:56 PM

Volvo drivers seem to be self rightous blockers of the fast lane. They drive like they are the only ones on the road. They are being replaced by Subaru drivers in increasing numbers. If our cars had real bumpers it would be fun to boot em in the rear end! Especially those with a bike rack on the rear bumper!

:D

Two Hawks
01-21-2005, 09:46 PM
:laugh:

OK, here goes:

--- Pink Cadillac owners are ... and the King of Rock and Roll "Thank ya ... thank ya very much". ...
:help: I've fallen over :rofl: and I can't get up!

Wagonmaster
01-21-2005, 09:49 PM
[QUOTE=CRUZTAKER]I don't have much to say about Volvo drivers....but that fellow left out one of the biggest problem groups on the roadways today.

Saturn drivers!

Volvo, Saturn, Honda, they all look the same to me in my rear view mirror............bwa ha.

GT

hdwrench
01-21-2005, 10:05 PM
very Politically Incorrect. :argue:
the whole concept of being politically CORRECT is :bs:

just another attempt for us all to be waving rainbow flags on the back of our bicycles on the way to starbucks.... where we may encounter all varieties of "something-" americans. Not just people... i guess everyone has to have a label going back to where ever their ancestors maybe have come from 200 yrs ago...in order for it to be politically correct.

i feel a rant coming on.. :puke:

Bluerauder
01-22-2005, 12:48 AM
.... where we may encounter all varieties of "something-" americans. Not just people... i guess everyone has to have a label going back to where ever their ancestors maybe have come from 200 yrs ago...in order for it to be politically correct.
John Wayne did a poem or a speech some 35-40 years ago on the "Hyphenated American" and called the hyphen " - " the most devisive trend in recent times ............ and so it continues. I'll try to find the speech. It was pretty good then ..... should still be. :D

Bluerauder
01-22-2005, 04:40 PM
John Wayne did a poem or a speech some 35-40 years ago on the "Hyphenated American" and called the hyphen " - " the most devisive trend in recent times ............ and so it continues. I'll try to find the speech. It was pretty good then ..... should still be. :D
Found it ........ :D
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Hyphen by John Wayne

The Hyphen, Webster's Dictionary defines,
Is a symbol used to divide a
compound word or a single word.
So it seems to me that when a man calls himself
An "Afro-American," a "Mexican-American,"
"Italian-American," An "Irish-American," "Jewish-American,"
What he's sayin' is, "I'm a divided American."

Well, we all came from other places,
Different creeds and different races,
To form a nation...to become as one,
Yet look at the harm a line has done -
A simple little line, and yet
As divisive as a line can get.
A crooked cross the Nazis flew,
And the Russian hammer and sickle too-
Time bombs in the lives of Man;
But none of these could ever fan
The flames of hatred faster than
The Hyphen.

The Russian hammer built a wall
That locks men's hearts from freedom's call.
A crooked cross flew overhead
Above twenty million tragic dead-
Among them men from this great nation,
Who died for freedom's preservation.
A hyphen is a line that's small;
It can be a bridge or be a wall.
A bridge can save you lots of time;
A wall you always have to climb.
The road to liberty lies true.
The Hyphen's use is up to you.

Used as a bridge, it can span
All the differences of Man.
Being free in mind and soul
Should be our most important goal.
If you use The Hyphen as a wall,
You'll make your life mean...and small.
An American is a special breed,
Whose people came to her in need.
They came to her that they might find
A world where they'd have peace of mind.
Where men are equal...and something more-
Stand taller than they stood before.

So you be wise in your decision,
And that little line won't cause division.
Let's join hands with one another...
For in this land, each man's your brother.
United we stand...divided we fall.
WE'RE AMERICANS...and that says it all.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mike Poore
01-22-2005, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=Bluerauder]Found it ........ :D
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Hyphen by John Wayne

QUOTE]

Man, Charlie! What a timely comment on this nation's condidton, and to the depths to which we've fallen.

WAKE UP AMERICA!

MyTMerc
01-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Wow Charlie! That is truly impressive. I didn't know that side of John Wayne. People surprise you all the time. A very insightful and unfortunately timeless poem, thanks for sharing it. One day I hope we all understand, "One nation under God, indivisible" is not just some catch phrase.