PDA

View Full Version : My Week So Far

Rider90
01-26-2005, 06:36 PM
So last friday I have my first ride-a-long with a Paramedic, great guy named Sean. We didn't get any calls over an 8 hour shift but I got CPR and AED Certified and made a few friends, better friends than I had thought. Which by the time I went home after the ride a long they were busy all night and said it happens all the time when students come by. The next night (Saturday) I had a ride-a-long with Sean again but this time as a Police Officer from 0000 to 0800. BTW he is a paramedic, police officer, and a fire-fighter. Who better to talk to about my future??

I talked with Sean about getting started as an EMT and what it would take, the classes, time, etc... and he said he'll look into it he knows a lot of people and could get me in easy. I'm thinkin, cool, maybe I'll be an EMT someday.

Well, Sunday night I get a phone call from my mom who is an ER Nurse and one the hospitals letting me know the news. "Jason, Dawn (Seans Wife) got you registered at the Tech College, placed in the class of whom she knows the teacher and it has only 12 students, and has already talked to the rescue squad cheif and you have an interview with him next weekend..oh by the way the township will pay for your training as long as you pass."

:banana2:

"We have to change your license to my house in wisconsin, change your vehicle plates to official EMT plates when you get your temp. license in training (bye bye CRUZN MM) and get you setup with LEDS, wig wags, all the bells and whistles because the Cheif said you're on the team, the interview is just to finish paperwork. You will be on call & responding to scenes and accidents acting as the "Gopher" (Fetching supplies, etc..) until training is over and you are certified to assist pre hospital patients."

:banana: :bows: :banana: :bows:

I mean I met the cheif and exchanged a few laughs, and he watched me get CPR & AED Certified, but I never would have even imagined this!!! So many nice people...

As of today I've started saving up for equipment, I didn't save much, thats why payday at work is tomorrow :P but this is my once in a life time calling and I'm taking advantage of it.

Basic Training lasts 6 months and I still need to keep my Dispatch job I want to keep my Marauder (No questions there!) so it will be a lot time, a lot of driving, and a lot of miles. From work it takes 2 hours to go to school, and I have to do that every tuesday and thursday. From Mount Prospect, IL to Beloit, WI. I think I might be taking the long way, but its the only way I know. I'll have to double check on the map.

I work during the day from 5am to 2pm then drive 2 hours to school, do school from 6pm to 10pm and drive to my mom's place in Elkhorn, WI (About 30-45min drive) to catch some shut eye. I leave around 930-1000am in the morning for work from Elkhorn, WI to Mount Prospect, IL approx 1.5 hour commute but I've scheduled on Wed and Fri to come in later so I can miss out on traffic. I was at class for the first time yesterday and it was very neat, a lot of information, I actually feel like a "sponge" verses high school where I felt like a deflecting metal plate.

On a side note, my K&N FIPK finally came in the mail just 3 days short of a month of waiting. I installed it and was very impressed by how straight forward it was and how sturdy the whole assembly is right now. Like others stated, one of the bolts is too short to use the washers on like they suggested but thats no biggie. I love the WOT sound and it definatly gave me some bottom end response although it was a little more mid-top end torque I was thinking to give up. I still give it an A+++ :burnout:

Soon the Marauder will be all lit up, and people will be moving out of it's way, because the person behind the wheel has to lend his services back to the community helping whoever is in need.

MarauderMark
01-26-2005, 07:01 PM
You lucky Bugger!! I hope everything works out for you ok .That sean is a cool dude to help you out like that .wished i knew someone like that..Ya know what you need to do is buy 1 lottery ticket and then you don't have to worry about the money for supplies..Good luck!! AHhhh you allready got that..:lol:

valkyrie
01-26-2005, 07:03 PM
:D
Rider, Congrats on your new adventure.

jgc61sr2002
01-26-2005, 07:09 PM
Rider90 - Congrats and good luck. :D :up:

LordVader
01-27-2005, 07:49 AM
:beatnik: Rider 90,

You have had a heck of a week. Many are called and only few respond, it looks like a profession may have found you. You have the luck and with that schedule the only thing you will need is time.

prchrman
01-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Making a living from what you enjoying doing is a good life...go for it and hope you do well...willie