PDA

View Full Version : Now This Is Justice!!!

TheDealer
01-27-2005, 10:46 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/26/store.shooting.ap/index.html

Dr Caleb
01-27-2005, 11:45 AM
"I just started shooting," said Gloria Turner, 56. "I was trying to blow his brains out is what I was trying to do."

Sorry Ray, that isn't "justice". That's vengance. Different animal, but often confused.

RF Overlord
01-27-2005, 12:16 PM
Doesn't matter if it was justice or vengeance...the two burglars were knowingly committing multiple felonies, including firing the first shot, and deserved what they got. Unfortunately, their survivors will probably bring civil action and the store owners will lose...

Haggis
01-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Sounds more like poetic justice to me.

Two Hawks
01-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Let us not forget, if the gun lobbyists had their way, these victims would not have been able to defend themselves and would have probably been killed, considering one attempt had already taken place.

With all respect Dr Caleb, the object in a gun fight is to "blow his brains out" before he does it to you. I don't think her statement should be confused with vengeance, just a poor choice of words brought on by a very traumatic experience. Not to mention who fired first.

Also, RF Overlord your conjecture "Unfortunately, their survivors will probably bring civil action and the store owners will lose...", lets hope the jury, if it does go that direction, has as much courage and conviction as the store owners had. Otherwise self-defense is no defense.

That's my :twocents:

klmore
01-27-2005, 01:04 PM
Doesn't matter if it was justice or vengeance...the two burglars were knowingly committing multiple felonies, including firing the first shot, and deserved what they got. Unfortunately, their survivors will probably bring civil action and the store owners will lose...
I agree. Either way the country is down two more dead beats, but your right the owners will most likely loose in court.

michburt
01-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Let us not forget, if the gun lobbyists had their way, these victims would not have been able to defend themselves and would have probably been killed, considering one attempt had already taken place.

With all respect Dr Caleb, the object in a gun fight is to "blow his brains out" before he does it to you. I don't think her statement should be confused with vengeance, just a poor choice of words brought on by a very traumatic experience. Not to mention who fired first.

Also, RF Overlord your conjecture "Unfortunately, their survivors will probably bring civil action and the store owners will lose...", lets hope the jury, if it does go that direction, has as much courage and conviction as the store owners had. Otherwise self-defense is no defense.

The only thing I have heard/hear from the gun lobby was that they wanted to ban "assault weapons." Nothing about banning all weapons. Waiting period for purchase to check out purchaser, yes.

Mike

Bluerauder
01-27-2005, 01:34 PM
Doesn't matter if it was justice or vengeance...the two burglars were knowingly committing multiple felonies, including firing the first shot, and deserved what they got.
No argument from me !!! :D Seems like the 2-0 final score ended with the right team on the winning side. I love stories with happy endings. :up:

Dr Caleb
01-27-2005, 01:46 PM
[size=3][font=Times New Roman]With all respect Dr Caleb, the object in a gun fight is to "blow his brains out" before he does it to you. I don't think her statement should be confused with vengeance, just a poor choice of words brought on by a very traumatic experience. Not to mention who fired first.

With all respect to you Two Hawks, and everyone else; I never said it wasn't warranted nor undeserved. I said it wasn't "justice" WRT to the topic of this thread. It doesn't matter if Han Solo fired first or not.

Vengance="an eye for an eye".
Justice = Punishment by society tempered with accountability.

Moses had it written in stone, "Thou shalt not kill one and other".

TheDealer
01-27-2005, 01:53 PM
No that I agree with the following statement but this could happen. The robbers gun jamed. They took cover behind the meat counter. They will try to say that they were no longer a threat and they shouldn't have shot them..

MarauderMark
01-27-2005, 02:12 PM
No that I agree with the following statement but this could happen. The robbers gun jamed. They took cover behind the meat counter. They will try to say that they were no longer a threat and they shouldn't have shot them..

Maybe they were going to beat them with a pound of ham and a pound of cheese since the gun jammed..They went in to kill and thats what they got.

woaface
01-27-2005, 02:48 PM
Where's Billy G!

That's awesome, I can't wait to use this in a speech tournament!

MarauderMark
01-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Moses had it written in stone, "Thou shalt not kill one and other".That's my :twocents:

I saw the movie about the comandments .he actually started with 3 stones with 5 comandments on each and on his way to present them he dropped 1 stone and it broke .thats why we only have 10..=Mel Brooks History of the World Part 1

sailsmen
01-27-2005, 03:20 PM
I think self defense is what the Lady was doing. She complied with their request until they tired to kill her husband, that's when she went for the gun.

Behind the meat counter they still posed a threat, they could have other weapons or unjammed their pistol. When they tried to kill her husband they lost any defense or doubt about their intentions.

Brutus
01-27-2005, 04:35 PM
Sounds like one or both may have been "victims" in the past. Good for them.

Bigdogjim
01-27-2005, 04:43 PM
Sorry Ray, that isn't "justice". That's vengance. Different animal, but often confused.
Put yourself in their position?

Yeah I would have opened fire and delt with the moral issue later.

Hard to say what anyone woul do until your their!

Gun control is hitting your target on the first shot!

Bigdogjim
01-27-2005, 04:44 PM
Unfortunately, their survivors will probably bring civil action and the store owners will lose...

So true but very sad.

It is not fair any way you look at it!

Patrick
01-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Unfortunately, their survivors will probably bring civil action and the store owners will lose...

This true. And using the agrument that they needed help and they had NO right to shoot them. OK, it was OK that they went in thier to STEAL. With a LOADED GUN. And were going to USE them. Thats OK!!! Now the family that most likely did ANYHTING to get them turned around sees and apportunity to CASH in. Is it me or is thier never ending cycle here??????

MENINBLK
01-27-2005, 05:07 PM

There is no case since they have already been found to be shooting in self-defense.

Smokie
01-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Dr Caleb: Sorry Ray, that isn't "justice". That's vengance. Different animal, but often confused.Hey Doc, I agree with you that was not justice, however I would not call it vengeance either....since the armed robbers will not be able to ever harm anyone again, can we agree upon....problem solved.

CBT
01-27-2005, 06:52 PM
"Whoops! My gun jammed! Hold on, stop shooting at me for a sec!"

glassman99
01-27-2005, 07:00 PM
Two kids, shooting at 60 year olds. Gimme a break. The store owners are heros, ridding the street of these punks. The mother of one was on the news today talking about how "good" her son was. Good my $##. He had just tried to hold up and murder two people. Bad shooting criminals, good shooting owners. Kids/criminals 0 / owners 2. :banana:

CRUZTAKER
01-27-2005, 07:02 PM
A few weeks back the same thing happened around here. A thug went into a local arab store and pulled a gun, fired, and missed. The 68 year old store owner shot the perp dead.

Part of the risk of armed robbery is being killed yourself. It's that easy. I guess the only debate here is the the semantics of choice of words.

glassman99
01-27-2005, 07:06 PM
As long as the result is the same.

glassman99
01-27-2005, 07:09 PM
This is Georgia. The two owners will not be charged. SELF DEFENSE.