PDA

View Full Version : Remote Oil Filter ?

FordNut
01-31-2005, 07:30 AM
I'm going to install a remote oil filter sometime soon. I have the SVO unit from Ford Motorsports. It uses the FL1A filter on the remote mount. The FL1A does not have an anti-drainback valve like the stock one uses, but I believe that should be ok since the filter will be mounted in a vertical configuration that shouldn't drainback anyway. Agree or disagree? I do like the FL1A substitution in that it is larger and provides for more filtration surface area.

RF Overlord
01-31-2005, 07:38 AM
The FL1A does not have an anti-drainback valve like the stock one uses, but I believe that should be ok since the filter will be mounted in a vertical configuration that shouldn't drainback anyway. Agree or disagree?

Agreed.

However...(you KNEW there'd be a "however"...)

To prevent the lines to and from the remote filter from draining back requires mounting the remote filter at the same height or lower than the filter adapter on the block...

gdmjoe
01-31-2005, 08:19 AM
FordNut / RF Overlord
Are you sure that the FL1A does not have the anti-drainback valving ?

While that filter fits applications going back to 1957, my understanding was that the anti-drainback valving was SOP ( Standard Operating Procedure ) on all Motorcraft filters.

FordNut
01-31-2005, 08:48 AM
Are you sure that the FL1A does not have the anti-drainback valving ?

While that filter fits applications going back to 1957, my understanding was that the anti-drainback valving was SOP ( Standard Operating Procedure ) on all Motorcraft filters.
Just repeating what the service tech told me. Maybe I should have done more research before posting? But since it will be mounted on the frame rail it should be below the OEM filter location so it won't matter in my case anyway.

gdmjoe
01-31-2005, 10:08 AM
Just repeating what the service tech told me. Maybe I should have done more research before posting? But since it will be mounted on the frame rail it should be below the OEM filter location so it won't matter in my case anyway.
According to Motorcraft ... yep it's ( drain-back valving ) in there. Link (http://www.motorcraft.com/Products.asp?T=2&M=13&PageID=30) *Specifically mentions FL1A.

Now who ya gonna believe ? http://bellsouthpwp.net/g/d/gdmjoe/evil.gif

Mike Poore
01-31-2005, 10:21 AM
I'm going to install a remote oil filter sometime soon. I have the SVO unit from Ford Motorsports. It uses the FL1A filter on the remote mount. The FL1A does not have an anti-drainback valve like the stock one uses, but I believe that should be ok since the filter will be mounted in a vertical configuration that shouldn't drainback anyway. Agree or disagree? I do like the FL1A substitution in that it is larger and provides for more filtration surface area.
We've been using 'em for a while, now, and think the last units were from Summit Racing. Make sure you use the teflon tape on the threads, as instructed, or I guarantee they'll leak. Also, check, and check again to be absolutely sure which are the inlet and outlet lines. You're going to be very pleased with the remote setup. BTW, we use AMSOIL filters exclusively.:)

wchain
01-31-2005, 10:33 AM

Just FYI, the FL-400S is a direct bolt on (I didnt say replacement) fit as the FL-1A and has a SADV, this filter is used on V6 mustangs, V6 Econolines and Vulcan V6 Taurii....Might not have as much filter area as the FL-1A, but does have SADV.....

have you considered using the Relcation kit from a 16V Pre 99 5.4L Navigator? it is located on teh inside of the bumper on the frame and uses an FL-820S

Joe Walsh
01-31-2005, 02:46 PM
Just FYI, the FL-400S is a direct bolt on (I didnt say replacement) fit as the FL-1A and has a SADV, this filter is used on V6 mustangs, V6 Econolines and Vulcan V6 Taurii....Might not have as much filter area as the FL-1A, but does have SADV.....

have you considered using the Relcation kit from a 16V Pre 99 5.4L Navigator? it is located on teh inside of the bumper on the frame and uses an FL-820S

I was wondering about this...I've used Motorcraft FL400S filters on my old Taurus V6 and the box SPECIFICALLY mentions that it has a 'Silicone Anti Drainback Valve'. The Motorcraft FL-1A box says nothing about the 'SADV'....???

Does the FL-1A filter have the SADV??

I'm not too worried about it because my remote oil filter set-up has the filter mounted vertically to hold all the oil in the filter.

RF Overlord
01-31-2005, 03:25 PM
Does the FL-1A filter have the SADV??

It appears that the FL-1A does indeed have an ADBV, but only the FL-820S and the FL-400S have a silicone ADBV...

A silicone ADBV is not of any great concern on a remote filter application, unless you're going to run extended (over 5,000-mile) change intervals.

gdmjoe
01-31-2005, 06:49 PM
RF Overlord -It appears that the FL-1A does indeed have an ADBV, but only the FL-820S and the FL-400S have a silicone ADBV...
Just curious but ... What's you source of information for the FL-1A not having a silicone ADBV ?

Since Motorcraft says ( as per the link provided above ) ...

Oil Filters

Engineered specifically for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles, each Motorcraft® oil filter, including the popular Motorcraft® FL-1A, uses as many as 12 high-quality components. Construction features include:

- Steel Cases
"Ironed" for a precise fit, fluted to ease removal and painted for rust-resistance.

- Pressure Relief Valve
When it's cold outside or if the filter becomes clogged, oil flow through the filter can be reduced. If this happens, the relief valve opens to provide a continuous oil supply. Its design also minimizes the chance of contaminated oil recirculating back into the engine.

- Anti-Drain Back Valve
This feature keeps oil in the filter to prevent "dry starts" after your engine has been turned off. It's made with specially formulated material that resists the aging effects that an engine's heat can cause.

- Efficient Filter Media
Re-engineered media increases Motorcraft® filters' dirt-collecting capability, allowing them to capture more engine-harming particles than ever before.

wchain
02-01-2005, 07:36 AM
Just curious but ... What's you source of information for the FL-1A not having a silicone ADBV ?

Since Motorcraft says ( as per the link provided above ) ...

Oil Filters

Engineered specifically for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles, each Motorcraft® oil filter, including the popular Motorcraft® FL-1A, uses as many as 12 high-quality components. Construction features include:

- Steel Cases
"Ironed" for a precise fit, fluted to ease removal and painted for rust-resistance.

- Pressure Relief Valve
When it's cold outside or if the filter becomes clogged, oil flow through the filter can be reduced. If this happens, the relief valve opens to provide a continuous oil supply. Its design also minimizes the chance of contaminated oil recirculating back into the engine.

- Anti-Drain Back Valve
This feature keeps oil in the filter to prevent "dry starts" after your engine has been turned off. It's made with specially formulated material that resists the aging effects that an engine's heat can cause.

- Efficient Filter Media
Re-engineered media increases Motorcraft® filters' dirt-collecting capability, allowing them to capture more engine-harming particles than ever before.

Doesnt Say silicone :) ....IIRC the "A" in FL-1A is for the ADV......

RF Overlord
02-01-2005, 12:26 PM
gdmjoe, I got my info directly from the Motorcraft web site, right below the part you quoted, where it states:

Silicone Valve Oil Filters

Motorcraft® offers specially designed silicone components in the anti-drainback valves for oil filters FL-820S and FL-400S. The silicone valves retain flexibility throughout the life of the filter. This ensures better oil retention in the filter and faster engine start-up lubrication

gdmjoe
02-01-2005, 01:48 PM
FordNut
Brian ... You've got mail! *via mercurymarauder.net's Email service.

03SILVERSTREAK
02-01-2005, 09:12 PM
If and when possible would like part # and pics so as to try this when it gets a little warmer up here...:D