PDA

View Full Version : Tried my best for a Marauder, but got a CV Sport Instead

warren714
02-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Well, seeing as how Sully008 (Confessions of lurker..) (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15731) has jumped in, I'll follow. A couple of weeks ago I traded our 100K mile Sable in on a '04 CV Sport. I tried, but just could not find a MM deal I could work. Special thanks to Brian (RoyLPita) for running reports for me when I came across something, I appreciate it.

But here's something I want to say. In my search for a car I also looked at an '04 Impala SS Indy Edition. It was as loaded as it could be, and the local dealer had two, so the price was so low, it was tempting. I thought I could grow to like it, you know. :o But as I researched the car, and read the Impala boards, I found there seems to be a real hatred among the RWD Impala owners for the newer cars. I mean everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it was kind of odd. But other than an ocassional comment here, (I hope no none really thinks we CV owners are dopes :) ) MM owners and fans seem to be more open to other RWD large sedans, be they Ford, GM, whatever. For that reason, among others, I visit this site numerous times a day, and every so often, post. It is truly unlike any other car site I have ever found. And the truth is, this site made my decision on a car purchase: It had to be a Panther, whether a MM or a close cousin.

Now, a quick note on the new car. As I said, it's an '04. DTR with Dark Charcoal interior. T/C, adjustable pedals, side airbags, and 6 disc CD player. I located it on Ford's web site at a small community in North Carolina. My local dealer swapped for it. Unusual thing is, it was built in Sept. '03 and remained on their lot the entire time. Nearly 16 months!

It's so much fun to drive a big RWD sedan, it's like the way it's supposed to be.

Warren

Sully008
02-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Now, a quick note on the new car. As I said, it's an '04. DTR with Dark Charcoal interior. T/C, adjustable pedals, side airbags, and 6 disc CD player. I located it on Ford's web site at a small community in North Carolina. My local dealer swapped for it. Unusual thing is, it was built in Sept. '03 and remained on their lot the entire time. Nearly 16 months!

It's so much fun to drive a big RWD sedan, it's like the way it's supposed to be.

Warren[/QUOTE]

Warren,

Welcome!

Is your interior leather, or cloth? It sounds like my car's twin! Except I don't have side airbags. Nor is it a sport. 'Cause we don't get sports up here. Actually we don't get CVs period any more. :mad2:

Anywho, :welcome:

gdmjoe
02-01-2005, 01:44 PM
warren714 ... I located it on Ford's web site at a small community in North Carolina. ...
Interesting.

One of the large FoMoCo dealerships here ( Raleigh / Durham NC ) had quite a stash of new 2004 CV LX Sports and even a 2003 ( yep, new - black w/light flint interior, loaded ... IIRC sold for ~$17,000 ).

wchain
02-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Interesting.

One of the large FoMoCo dealerships here ( Raleigh / Durham NC ) had quite a stash of new 2004 CV LX Sports and even a 2003 ( yep, new - black w/light flint interior, loaded ... IIRC sold for ~$17,000 ).

WOW!
When I was MM shopping, the local dealer have ONE CV, it was a Sport and they came a grand off the sticker, and said it was the best they could do!

RoyLPita
02-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Maroone Ford of Maragte has a nice collection of 2004 CVs inc sports. They were going for $10000 under MSRP.

Congrats on your CV Sport purchase, Warren. Enjoy.

PM me the VIN and I'll get you the exact build date.

Mike Poore
02-01-2005, 02:44 PM
[QUOTE=RoyLPita]There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't own the MM can feel. QUOTE]

Yeh, but when you're not looking we go off and snicker behind your back. :rofl:

Actually, RoyL the CV guys and, you, especially, have added a great deal of helpful, timely, information to the net. It makes no difference what you're driving; it's the attitude and willingness to help out your car crazy brothers that makes this a very special and appreciated forum.

You're the best, I mean it.:beer:

Amsoil_Dealer
02-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Cool,

There are a few of use CV guys here. I wanted a Maruader but couldn't afford it, Found a used Sport and love it...There may be a few guys here with a "get a real car" attitude but most are quite nice to us.

Post a photo when you can.

Joe Walsh
02-01-2005, 05:57 PM
But here's something I want to say. In my search for a car I also looked at an '04 Impala SS Indy Edition. It was as loaded as it could be, and the local dealer had two, so the price was so low, it was tempting. I thought I could grow to like it, you know. :o But as I researched the car, and read the Impala boards, I found there seems to be a real hatred among the RWD Impala owners for the newer cars. I mean everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it was kind of odd. But other than an ocassional comment here, (I hope no none really thinks we CV owners are dopes :) ) MM owners and fans seem to be more open to other RWD large sedans, be they Ford, GM, whatever. For that reason, among others, I visit this site numerous times a day, and every so often, post. It is truly unlike any other car site I have ever found. And the truth is, this site made my decision on a car purchase: It had to be a Panther, whether a MM or a close cousin.

Warren

I'm not sure that I can condemn the 'Real' Impala SS guys for not embracing the FWD Impala SS turd.

If Mercury had changed the Marauder into a smaller FWD V6 P.O.S. , I don't think that I would give a crap about a 'new' Marauder.

Thank goodness that Mercury didn't ruin the Marauder name by doing the same thing that Chevy did to the Impala SS.

Enjoy your CV Sport....It's a nice (RWD V8) Ride!! :)

grzellmer
02-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Try not to be too hard on the Impala crowd. As a refugee from the General myself, I loathed the FWD "performance" cars they were trying to foster on me. When I turned in my leased pickup and asked about RWD cars, they said "Corvette". Nice car, but I said "G'bye". Very happy with my MM.

Well, seeing as how Sully008 (Confessions of lurker..) (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15731) has jumped in, I'll follow. A couple of weeks ago I traded our 100K mile Sable in on a '04 CV Sport. I tried, but just could not find a MM deal I could work. Special thanks to Brian (RoyLPita) for running reports for me when I came across something, I appreciate it.

Warren

Bigdogjim
02-01-2005, 06:36 PM
I have a few note to add to this thread.

First off thank you Warren714 for being open and up front with us Marauder owners.

We are a strange lot:) But a good one:up:

I have several CV sport owners that really wish they got a Marauder instead:mad:

At the time a few confessed they thought the Marauder was "over priced"

As far as the FWD Impala I think GM is going after the ricer crowd? Trying to get sales back that have been lost. The old if you can't beat 'em join 'em.

warren714
02-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Thanks everyone. Here's some catch up - Sully- The interior is leather. As for price, my dealer started the haggling at invoice. I actually got the car, out the door, for about $2,000 more than I paid for the '99 Sable when I got it new. Not bad I thought.

As for the Impala stuff, I understand how it is with new cars using old, even honored, names. For example, look at the negative remarks about the new Charger coming out. While it will probably outperform most of the classic '60's Chargers, it just doesn't seem right, especially with four doors, yet it's closer than the '80's versions were. I know those of us who grew up in the era of Muscle Cars do sometimes cringe at what the marketing people do, but I'm guessing they are aiming the cars at the kids of those of us who remember the classics and love to tell the story about the guy in our class that had a 10 second GTO or something. We make them sound so good they have to bring the names back, though I'd be suprised to see the SC/Rambler, AMX, Biscayne, Tempest, etc. names come back.

And by the way, why don't any of the manufacturers make a large RWD 2 door car? What did they use to call them "Personal Luxury Cars" or something?

Logan
02-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Why people don't just email logan@mercurymarauder.net for the hookup, I'll never know... ;)

I'm the king of locating marauders on a budget. :)

Warren

Joe Walsh
02-01-2005, 06:57 PM
As for the Impala stuff, I understand how it is with new cars using old, even honored, names. For example, look at the negative remarks about the new Charger coming out. While it will probably outperform most of the classic '60's Chargers, it just doesn't seem right, especially with four doors, yet it's closer than the '80's versions were. I know those of us who grew up in the era of Muscle Cars do sometimes cringe at what the marketing people do, but I'm guessing they are aiming the cars at the kids of those of us who remember the classics and love to tell the story about the guy in our class that had a 10 second GTO or something. We make them sound so good they have to bring the names back, though I'd be suprised to see the SC/Rambler, AMX, Biscayne, Tempest, etc. names come back.

Ahhhh Yes!, Remember the awesome ground shaking 1977 "COBRA II"?
A thundering 140 hp 302 V8 that harkened back to the original Shelby 427 Cobra. If it weren't for that pesky "II" designation I would have never known!!

Donny Carlson
02-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Looks like he was shootin' for J-Lo but just settled for a ho.:)

(I bet besides Todd, I'm the only one on here that laughs at this.)

gpfarrell
02-02-2005, 10:25 AM
I'd be suprised to see the SC/Rambler... names come back.

You like big rear wheel drive American cars and remember the SC/Rambler?

Boy, could my therapist have a great time with you!

Seriously, welcome... I think the broad respect this board shows for other enthusiasts is the best part of Logan's neighborhood... but the 390 ci / 315hp SC/Rambler? Wow, that's pushing the envelope!

Enjoy the Vic!

O's Fan Rich
02-02-2005, 10:42 AM
I see nothing wrong with that!
I almost got a CV Sport instead of my MM also... almost.

RoyLPita
02-02-2005, 11:10 AM
I'm moving up in the Panther platform. I first started out with a red '92 GM LS w/HPP, then got a silver '92 GM LS HPP (nicer than the last until Frances came along), then picked up my twins- 2 1995 CVPIs. My next purchase wll be a MM- hopefully cheap enough that I could supercharge at the same time.

DEFYANT
02-02-2005, 11:51 AM
I considered a CV sport also. But I remembered how I felt when I had the Mustang GT and wanted more out of it. I would have spent alot of money just to bring it up to the specs of a Cobra. The choice was clear when it was time for another Mustang. As was the choice when looking for a new "big " car.