PDA

View Full Version : Key Article

04MEMA
02-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Saw this online - thought ya'll might find it interesting:

"Security Codes on Keys Cracked?

Those transponder-based security chips implanted in some car keys as a security device may have met their match. The Associated Press reports that researchers at Jonhs Hopkins University have found a way around the immobilizer units, which use the electronic components to bar thieves from starting and stealing vehicles. The team studying the security devices says a relatively inexpensive electronic device could obtain the information needed to bypass the chips. The specific radio-based units that could be overridden are featured on more than 150 million vehicles made by Ford, Toyota, and Nissan; the systems are similar to those found at some gasoline stations that allow customers to wave a fob at the pump, automatically charging the total to a credit card on file. The Hopkins researchers say they've cracked those devices too - but experts put the likelihood of thieves committing thefts by the school's methods low. "

Jeff

CBT
02-01-2005, 07:51 PM
John Hopkins can kiss my booty, and stay away from my cars!

Warpath
02-02-2005, 09:51 AM
Why bother going to that extent. I've seen master keys that are used by dealers etc. that can start any vehicle advertised in classifieds.

jparrie
02-03-2005, 10:05 AM
I've read the article, and they are playing a little fast and loosewith their facts. It's true they have determined how to break the header code of the TI chips in question, and as such can clone them, but there is a long way between their methods and what is needed to steal cars.

Anyone who treats their keys with the same respect that they afford their credit cards, ie don't leave them laying around unprotected and be aware of people hanging around with unexplained electronic devices, will be just fine.

It;s another example of my "rule of security". If man makes it, man can break it. Just use common sense and have good insurance :twocents:

QUOTE=04MEMA]Saw this online - thought ya'll might find it interesting:

"Security Codes on Keys Cracked?

Those transponder-based security chips implanted in some car keys as a security device may have met their match. The Associated Press reports that researchers at Jonhs Hopkins University have found a way around the immobilizer units, which use the electronic components to bar thieves from starting and stealing vehicles. The team studying the security devices says a relatively inexpensive electronic device could obtain the information needed to bypass the chips. The specific radio-based units that could be overridden are featured on more than 150 million vehicles made by Ford, Toyota, and Nissan; the systems are similar to those found at some gasoline stations that allow customers to wave a fob at the pump, automatically charging the total to a credit card on file. The Hopkins researchers say they've cracked those devices too - but experts put the likelihood of thieves committing thefts by the school's methods low. "

Jeff[/QUOTE]