PDA

View Full Version : Drove a Ford 500 Yesterday

wchain
02-02-2005, 07:28 AM
Went to the local Ford Stealership yesterday with my boss to look at Expeditions, and while he was on a Test drive, I was walking around looking at the Ford 500. A slime, er salesman came up to me, 1978 Leisure suit and all and goes "That there's a new FAAHHHHVE HUNDRED, shares the volvo platform"

Me: But it only has 203 HP
Him: That doesn't count, its where the Horsepower hits the road that counts
Me: OKay so you figure a percentage of parasitic driveline loss, so theres even less horsepower at the wheels.
Him: Why dont you drive it and see for yourself?
Me: OK.
In the car.....
Him: It has the all new 3.0L Duratec V6
Me: Is it new? I thought this was Ford's corporate V6 that has been around for over 10 years, it's a distant cousin of the 2.5L V6 from the Mazda 626/Ford Probe platform.
Him: I dont think so.
Me: Yes, it later evolved to 3.0 liters, did duty in the Taurus, and Now its in the Ford Escape, Freestar,new Fusion Mazda Tribute, Lincoln LS, and Jag S-Type, Merc Montego, Sable
Him: Wow, you know a lot about Ford Products.
Me: Its common knowledge around Ford buffs. If you look at the 500 gauge cluster, its the same exact one used in the new fusion, taurus, freestyle, and Montego and Sable. I really dont understand why Ford has really started to make everything look like they got it off of one parts bin, like their parts are afterthoughts. How long have you been selling cars?

Him: This is my fourth day, say is that your souped up Crown Vic over there? :rolleyes:
Me: thanks for the test drive.

My overall impression?
The 500 is a nice car, with good road manners, its almost like driving a S80 Volvo, except with Ford Mixed heavily into it (since it is on the S80 platform). Drives nice, but could use more power, the 3.5L V6 is due out this fall, and should be good for 250 HP, so that will make it a better drive. Switchgear and controls seem solid, although I am annoyed at the fact that the dash is the same dash used in about half dozen Ford Vehicles now. Overall, I would choose this over an Accord or Camry, but this still doesnt show that Ford is really interested in building a sedan from the ground up, just throwing parts together from the parts bun to 'make' a new car......

MarauderMark
02-02-2005, 07:35 AM
Went to the local Ford Stealership yesterday with my boss to look at Expeditions, and while he was on a Test drive, I was walking around looking at the Ford 500. A slime, er salesman came up to me, 1978 Leisure suit and all and goes "That there's a new FAAHHHHVE HUNDRED, shares the volvo platform"

Him: That doesn't count, its where the Horsepower hits the road that counts
Me: OKay so you figure a percentage of parasitic driveline loss, so theres even less horsepower at the wheels.
Him: Why dont you drive it and see for yourself?
In the car.....
Him: It has the all new 3.0L Duratec V6
Me: Is it new? I thought this was Ford's corporate V6 that has been around for over 10 years, it's a distant cousin of the 2.5L V6 from the Mazda 626/Ford Probe platform.
Him: I dont think so.
Me: Yes, it later evolved to 3.0 liters, did duty in the Taurus, and Now its in the Ford Escape, Freestar,new Fusion Mazda Tribute, Lincoln LS, and Jag S-Type, Merc Montego, Sable
Him: Wow, you know a lot about Ford Products.
Me: Its common knowledge around Ford buffs.
Him: If you look at the 500 gauge cluster, its the same exact one used in the new fusion, taurus, freestyle, and Montego and Sable. I really dont understand why Ford has really started to make everything look like they got it off of one parts bin, like their parts are afterthoughts. How long have you been selling cars?
Him: This is my fourth day, say is that your souped up Crown Vic over there? :rolleyes:

My overall impression?
The 500 is a nice car, with good road manners, its almost like driving a S80 Volvo, except with Ford Mixed heavily into it (since it is on the S80 platform). Drives nice, but could use more power, the 3.5L V6 is due out this fall, and should be good for 250 HP, so that will make it a better drive. Switchgear and controls seem solid, although I am annoyed at the fact that the dash is the same dash used in about half dozen Ford Vehicles now. Overall, I would choose this over an Accord or Camry, but this still doesnt show that Ford is really interested in building a sedan from the ground up, just throwing parts together from the parts bun to 'make' a new car......

I enjoyed reading this .Thanks for the laugh..

LordVader
02-02-2005, 08:46 AM
:bows: Wes,

It's always great when the consumer walks in armed with all the "information" you need to squash one of the "sales geeks". Most of them have only been at work for a week or two and won't last more than a month, and they presume to try to sell a car to someone who knows. Good for you!!

Haggis
02-02-2005, 09:08 AM
wchain...

A slime, er salesman came up to me (you had it right the first time), 1978 Leisure suit and all and goes "That there's a new FAAHHHHVE HUNDRED, shares the volvo platform"

Him: :dunno:
In the car.....
Him: It has the all new 3.0L Duratec V6 :dunno:
Him: :dunno:.
Me: Its common knowledge around Ford buffs. If you look at the 500 gauge cluster, its the same exact one used in the new fusion, taurus, freestyle, and Montego and Sable. I really dont understand why Ford has really started to make everything look like they got it off of one parts bin, like their parts are afterthoughts. How long have you been selling cars?

deerejoe
02-02-2005, 09:16 AM
the Ford 500 merely adds its presence to an already LONG list of BORING vehicles from Ford...the (incredibly boring) Taurus being replaced by this model is further proof of that axiom.

Auto salesmen as most 'clerks' these days are scarcely trained in the finer points of product knowledge.
But as the saying goes, " cars or hamburgers...what's the difference, its just a sale".

Gosh, I love shopping.....

wchain
02-02-2005, 09:32 AM
the Ford 500 merely adds its presence to an already LONG list of BORING vehicles from Ford...the (incredibly boring) Taurus being replaced by this model is further proof of that axiom.

Auto salesmen as most 'clerks' these days are scarcely trained in the finer points of product knowledge.
But as the saying goes, " cars or hamburgers...what's the difference, its just a sale".

Gosh, I love shopping.....

This is true, however the Tortise will go to Fleet only, which I figure currenlty 75% is probably fleet sales anyway...who goes out shopping for a new Taurus when you can get a pre owned one (04 with 25K) for 11,995! oddly enough I have the "Source Books" Ford gives out to sales staff, kind of a cliffs notes binder of every car in their model line, shows salesmen how to "push" features of the car......and what to say...like the McDonalds Restaruant operating guide! GOOD CALL JOE! :laugh:

wchain
02-02-2005, 09:33 AM
:dunno:
BWHAHAHAHAHA Gordon!!!

DeadVic
02-02-2005, 10:13 AM
:dunno:
BWHAHAHAHAHA Gordon!!!

I drove one back in November @ the Ford Drive weekend @ Sam Houston Horse Track.

The thing has front end plow big time. and the 3.0 is too little for this car. It had no get up and go. I drove an all wheel drive version and it had the front plow too.

I did like the sitting position. it's almost like sitting in a minivan. And, the rear seat room is really nice. It has more head and leg room than our cars in the back seat, but its not as wide.

Its a very comfortable car but I don't much like it because it is not a drivers car and the drive train is questionable. The general public won't like it because it isn't refined enough. overall, this car is headed for Hertz and then used car lots.

Patrick
02-02-2005, 12:29 PM
I went and saw the Monteago, $30,000, All options. My only impression was, nice vehicle. It would be at the bottom of the top 10 list of cars I would buy. Overall nice, just boring. Just my 2 cents.

Eric91Z
02-02-2005, 01:59 PM
What is with manufacturers today? GM and Ford have little if anything to fit the 4-door family car sedan with size, styling, and some performance. Chrysler has the 300C (which I like, just my opinion), and most of the import stuff is FWD, although there is getting to be more RWD. But then it is pricey.

Here are some cars I have kicked around in searching for a replacement for my high mileage Accord (in order of preference):

1) Mercury Marauder (hoping used pricing comes down some by the time I am ready to buy)
2) '03 or '04 Crown Vic LX Sport
3) 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (yes, FWD but lots of potential and I like the looks)
4) 2005 Grand Prix GTP CompG (like the performance and interior, don't like the exterior)

That is my short list. Not much else out there that does much for me that can be used as a daily driver, has 4-doors with decent interior space for a family, and takes well to modifications without killing driveability.

Might have some nice technical stuff, interiors might be OK, but exterior styling and lack of affordable RWD cars is disappointing.

Just my $.02

Mike Poore
02-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Way to go, Wes, it's a wonderful report, and Haggis' synopsis was the best. I'm OTFL. Some day I'll tell you guys about the fat lady at Chambersburg.:laugh:

wchain
02-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Way to go, Wes, it's a wonderful report, and Haggis' synopsis was the best. I'm OTFL. Some day I'll tell you guys about the fat lady at Chambersburg.:laugh:

Is it like when I bought my 2001 Z71, when the sales lady showed me under the hood there was the tranny dipstick and she goes "Theres your TransLock Fluid over there...heres your Washer Fluid only" The trans oil dipstick says "Trans/Lock" for you to lock the dipstick in so nothing can enter the system.....

MarauderMark
02-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Is it like when I bought my 2001 Z71, when the sales lady showed me under the hood there was the tranny dipstick and she goes "Theres your TransLock Fluid over there...heres your Washer Fluid only" The trans oil dipstick says "Trans/Lock" for you to lock the dipstick in so nothing can enter the system.....

The Translock Fluid is the special ordered feature optioned on this vehical @ an inexpensive price but for you no extra cost as long as you purchase within 3 day sale were having..oh man!!

Paul T. Casey
02-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Lightning motor, rear drive, and this would be a winner in my book. The cvt also worries me a bit, as do most first time driveline changes.

King Fubar
02-02-2005, 05:46 PM
So was that your suped up Crown Vic???

:laugh: :laugh:

2005Marauder
02-02-2005, 08:21 PM
As a possible replacement for the Tbird--not my MM.
Impala may look like many others, but at least it'll have a 5.something under the hood.

Joe Walsh
02-02-2005, 09:52 PM
I am a sales representative for various industrial products and it never ceases to amaze me how incompetent Auto salesman are....
They are the only salespeople in the world who can have absolutely NO KNOWLEDGE of the product that they sell, yet still be successful!
I can read a vehicle sales brochure once and know more than any salesman in the showroom.
It is fun to go into showrooms and start asking questions just to see if the salesman:
A. Knows the answers
B. Admits they don't know, but will find out for you
C. Starts to 'BS' you, hoping that you won't know
D. Flat out lies or tells you the exact opposite of the correct answer

I once refused to buy a car because the Dealership had to get it from another Dealership and was going to transfer it over by driving it (@60 miles).
I said "NO, because you will have some 18 year old kid drive it like a Formula One car on the way here. I don't think that it is good for the initial engine break-in."
They said the following:
"Oh No! We have old retirees transfer all our cars and they drive them like it was their own car."
When I wouldn't budge, the Sales Manager said:
"You don't have to worry about engine break-in anymore because all the engines are made out of Chrome-Moly"
UHHHHHHH????.........Yeah, Right!

rookie1
02-03-2005, 05:33 AM
I drove the Montego while I was getting my oil changed and tires rotated.
My impressions were very similar. Boring but I'll confess to thinking it was a nicely appointed interior and was very impressed with the backseat room and general seating position. All in all my impression was that it was a nice ride and that there was nothing wrong with it that a decent motor wouldn't fix.

MERCMAN
02-03-2005, 07:33 AM
This is true, however the Tortise will go to Fleet only, which I figure currenlty 75% is probably fleet sales anyway...who goes out shopping for a new Taurus when you can get a pre owned one (04 with 25K) for 11,995! oddly enough I have the "Source Books" Ford gives out to sales staff, kind of a cliffs notes binder of every car in their model line, shows salesmen how to "push" features of the car......and what to say...like the McDonalds Restaruant operating guide! GOOD CALL JOE! :laugh:

Would they supersize you to a CV?? :rofl:

JohnE
02-03-2005, 06:59 PM
How does the 500 compare to the Malibu Max? I had one of those as a rental not long ago. Ford really stinks at hitting the mark. They put a below average engine in the new 500 and hoped by offering a cvt people would see past that I guess. Then they killed the handling of the car they started with (S80). They can't even match the performace of the accord v6, let alone the hybrid. I think even a Odessy minivan outhandles the 500. But then on the other hand Ford seems to be doing well with the Mustang...

Was highly impressed with the lady I bought my GM from back in 2000. I knew a lot, but she really knew about the products too. This was the first time I heard of the Blackhawk and Marauder programs. Glad I didn't wait the 3 years for Ford to finally release one.

I went back to see her late in 2003 and checked into trading up to a Marauder. Unfortuanatly the GM wasn't worth much to them. Went home and bought my AED kit that day. Later went back and let her test drive my car. She was amazed....

John

Amsoil_Dealer
02-04-2005, 05:55 AM
The 500 looks nice, is very nicely appointed inside, and it is a nice upgrade to the Taurus. This is exactly what most Taurus buyers want so it could be argued that Ford hit the nail on the head.

Mike Poore
02-04-2005, 07:26 AM
Went to the local Ford Stealership yesterday with my boss to look at Expeditions, and while he was on a Test drive, I was walking around looking at the Ford 500. A slime, er salesman came up to me, 1978 Leisure suit and all and goes "That there's a new FAAHHHHVE HUNDRED, shares the volvo platform".
By now everyone must have seen those ads with the gentleman and lady serenely driving a Five Hundred on rain slicked streets with cars skidding at them backwards from all directions. The nice lady has a slight knowing smile as they calmly negotiate the street as if it was a nice Sunday drive.

Now, picture the same scenario with you driving and YOUR wife sitting in the seat next to you. My Barbara would have ***** her pants, and I would be deaf from all the screaming!:eek:

(I copied this from one of my previous post's)

wchain
02-04-2005, 07:50 AM
By now everyone must have seen those ads with the gentleman and lady serenely driving a Five Hundred on rain slicked streets with cars skidding at them backwards from all directions. The nice lady has a slight knowing smile as they calmly negotiate the street as if it was a nice Sunday drive.

Now, picture the same scenario with you driving and YOUR wife sitting in the seat next to you. My Barbara would have ***** her pants, and I would be deaf from all the screaming!:eek:

(I copied this from one of my previous post's)

Of course it would be in the MM, and the Traction COntrol would be off.......

Sully008
02-04-2005, 07:57 AM
The 500 looks nice, is very nicely appointed inside, and it is a nice upgrade to the Taurus. This is exactly what most Taurus buyers want so it could be argued that Ford hit the nail on the head.

My dealership wanted me to take a 500 when I returned my Taurus. I politely declined, ;) because I didn't want the same engine in a bigger car. They let me take out a '02 CV for a loaner while my Taurus was getting fixed one day and that sold it for me. Had them look for 2 months to find a suitable used '04 and in Sept., finally got one.

Since then, I've had the opportunity to sit in a 500, but not drive one yet. I think the interior is nice, better than the Taurus and the CV (don't shoot me). But I have to agree with you that they've probably hit their target with the sedate styling, interior, handling (gee, kinda sounds like a Taurus?)

But like 99.9% of the people here, I'm not much for sedate :D .

Zack
12-17-2007, 11:05 AM
:rofl: ^^^^^

Hi Newbie :D

ImpalaSlayer
12-17-2007, 11:36 AM
twat? 123456

Aren Jay
12-18-2007, 10:53 PM
I like the 500, personally. I can't say much about the engineer who put the roof light in the wrong place (don't sit in the middle rear seat). Sunroof is the tall person killer like all sunroofed cars, with the notable exception of the newer Jaguars.

I must say the Freestyle sums up the 500 better. The six seat layout and tailgate party ready setup is great. It too has the middle middle seat and light problem but the 6 seat configuration solves this problem.

I always said, back on NASIOC, that the 500 and Freestyle where the bigger cars that Subaru should have brought out. It really surprised me when Ford brought them out and I might have even bought one if I hadn't just bought my Subaru two month earlier.

But then I might not have my Marauder now, so it all worked out good.

Must have been the even year angel warding me away from the odd year cars again.

I also like 1970's Rockford leisure suit. Herb Tarlek ties. The whole Disco attitude.

I watch the Rockford files on DVD in 100" of 4x3 glory and life seemed so much simplier. No PC's, No Internet, No satellite TV, Simple rabbit eared bube tube, Books and kids everywhere riding their bikes, walking, playing ball.

Cars had door locks. Seat belts. That was it. Hoods opened from the outside. So did gas caps. Hand cranked windows(where the roll your window down came from).

The Simple life, only we never knew it.