PDA

View Full Version : Delete Exhaust Tips

JFB
02-05-2005, 09:14 AM
In the process of trying to make the car sound like a real V8, I replaced the tips with the baffle deleted tips. I can't tell any difference in the sound. I had them extended 1.5", so they stick out past the bumper cover and there is no drone at all. What's the next step?----- Magnaflows?----- Flowmasters? Help me out here !!!!:beer:

BruteForce
02-05-2005, 09:22 AM
Kooks headers. :D

BillyGman
02-05-2005, 09:29 AM
I guess you have to consider how the car is used most. I have the magnaflow muffs (the stainless steel 18" ones), and I like them. Personally, I don't think they're too loud at all, even for your female passenger(s), although some people's opinion of that will differ from mine. But one of the reasons I say that is simply due to the fact that at idle, and just past idle, they're pretty quiet. It's only when you begin to get into the gas pedal that they start growling at you(which I happen to like). But if you aren't worried about what your passengers hear, and you want something more as I've considered from time to time, then you might want to go with glass packs such as the magnaflow "Magna packs" which have the same type of baffless construction as the 18" "Wide open" magnaflow muffs do, but they're much smaller since the cases are only about 3.5-4" in diameter.

I haven't tried them myself though. What I don't understand is that the Magnaflow website used to list the "Magnapacks" but I don't see them on there anymore. :confused: ...BTW, I agree with BF that the Kooks headers help to give an aggressive sound also. I like those too.

greggash
02-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Hi;

I agree, the marauder stock exhaust can be kinda quiet.

I am going for the entire Kooks system, just need to decide if I am really going to put on
a Trilogy S/C for the diameter of the pipes.

I am pretty sure the kooks system uses magnaflow, I have heard it has a good sound.

Personally I would not go with Flowmaster, They have a specific sound that you can hear from idle on up...Now some people like that specific sound and it will definatelly growl on a Marauder.

all of the above is my personal opinion, which changes daily!

BillyGman
02-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Hmmmm, I'm not sure what you mean concerning a S/Cer and what it would have to do with the exhaust pipe diameter. There are those like myself who have both the 2.5" diamter exhaust of the Kooks set-up as well as the Trilogy S/Cer, and there are also plenty of people who have the stock exhaust (which is a 2.25" diameter, and actually necks down to a tiny 2" at one place) who are also using the Trilogy S/Cer. And it all works fine.

GodOSpeed
02-05-2005, 10:16 AM
My first 'mod' was a set of 'packs. IMO you will never get "real american V8" sound with 6 mufflers. (4 cats & 2 Mufflers) It's just too clogged up to produce nice muscular sound from idle to upper revs. Granted with the packs it is acceptible while under load but as far as idle or just wacking the throttle for a little bootinanny it just is pure embarasing. My little 289 in the 66 will turn Harley riders heads from start up to wide open. So I know what a Real American V8 is supposed to sound like. :coolman:

BillyGman
02-05-2005, 10:29 AM
My first 'mod' was a set of 'packs. IMO you will never get "real american V8" sound with 6 mufflers. (4 cats & 2 Mufflers) It's just too clogged up to produce nice muscular sound from idle to upper revs. Granted with the packs it is acceptible while under load but as far as idle or just wacking the throttle for a little bootinanny it just is pure embarasing. My little 289 in the 66 will turn Harley riders heads from start up to wide open. So I know what a Real American V8 is supposed to sound like. :coolman:
So you have glass packs on your Marauder? Cool......are they the Magnaflow brand "Magnapacks"?? If so, how long ago did you purchase them?

GodOSpeed
02-05-2005, 11:06 AM
So you have glass packs on your Marauder? Cool......are they the Magnaflow brand "Magnapacks"?? If so, how long ago did you purchase them?
I belive they are and about 300 miles in. I originally purchased this car based on that old pre-production video that Mercury produced of the Marauder @ the dragstrip. Very dissapointing (soundwise) once it came to production. I wish someone could bring that old stream back to life so the newbies could see what I mean. Hint. Hint. Logan :help:

Krytin
02-05-2005, 11:07 AM
You have hit the nail on the head! The dual cats on each side are what's keeping this car's exhaust as whimppy sounding as it is! It would be good to hear from someone who left the stock manifolds on and switched to high flow cats (one on each side) and a cross flow/"x" pipe.

GodOSpeed
02-05-2005, 11:21 AM
You have hit the nail on the head! The dual cats on each side are what's keeping this car's exhaust as whimppy sounding as it is! It would be good to hear from someone who left the stock manifolds on and switched to high flow cats (one on each side) and a cross flow/"x" pipe.
Check out Martyo's car Legal Kenevil. No cats.. Very Bad indeed!! He does have Kooks but then again he is the King of Bling!!
Marty a sound byte from idle to WOT would be appreciated.
A little piece of hot rod heaven!

Mike Poore
02-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Check out Martyo's car Legal Kenevil. No cats.. Very Bad indeed!! He does have Kooks but then again he is the King of Bling!!
Marty a sound byte from idle to WOT would be appreciated.
A little piece of hot rod heaven!
Wait, WAIT!!!! This is brilliant! :thinker:

OK, here's what you do. These MM's come standard with a mighty MONSOON Stereo setup with 88,000 watt amplifier, and jumbo speakers, right?

We get Marty to make recordings of the Legal Keneval Hell Boy exhaust and just stuff 'em into your CD's pie hole, so you can crank 'em up loud enough to make a teenager's ears bleed, anytime you want.

Marty can sell 'em to raise enough cash to continue to do crazy stuff to his car and we get to have the loudest exhaust on the planet, all for the price of just one single exhaust clamp.

Lucky for you guys there are some serious thinkers in the group.

:laugh:

JFB
02-06-2005, 09:44 AM
I thought about going to the full Kooks setup, but have read that you will actually loose HP and torque on a Trilogy car. Can't sacrfice that!!!

rumble
02-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Wait, WAIT!!!! This is brilliant! :thinker:

OK, here's what you do. These MM's come standard with a mighty MONSOON Stereo setup with 88,000 watt amplifier, and jumbo speakers, right?

We get Marty to make recordings of the Legal Keneval Hell Boy exhaust and just stuff 'em into your CD's pie hole, so you can crank 'em up loud enough to make a teenager's ears bleed, anytime you want.

Marty can sell 'em to raise enough cash to continue to do crazy stuff to his car and we get to have the loudest exhaust on the planet, all for the price of just one single exhaust clamp.

Lucky for you guys there are some serious thinkers in the group.

:laugh:

I love it when a plan comes together!
Next step, we can all have "sonic" drags.

BillyGman
02-06-2005, 02:19 PM
I thought about going to the full Kooks setup, but have read that you will actually loose HP and torque on a Trilogy car. Can't sacrfice that!!!Nope....not true......with 9.5 PSI of boost my car was dyno tested at 400 RWHP and 360 RWTQ. Which is actually about 15 HP more than the HP ratings of an otherwise stock Marauder with Trilogy set-up.

The real story is that although you still do gain some power on a Trilogized Marauder by adding the Kooks headers and exhaust package, you don't gain as much as N/A Marauders do when they're fitted with the same exhaust package.But the minor gains are still there, and you certainly do NOT lose any power from this exhaust mod. And BTW, that would be true of any exhaust change on a S/Ced car running similar boost pressures. So the conclusion is that if you're planning to install a S/Cer on your car, then you wouldn't want to spend the $$ for an exhaust upgrade just for extra power, because the power gain from the modified exhaust alone is minimal. The only reason that you would want to spend the $$ for an exhaust upgrade on a S/Ced Marauder would be for the great sound. ;)

CRUZTAKER
02-06-2005, 05:00 PM
I noticed a MAJOR difference with the delete tips....are you sure you actually replaced them?:D

Mufflers will help as well.

JFB
02-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Yep, unless they put someone else's baffled tips in my trunk !!!!