PDA

View Full Version : Women Sues For Knock On Her Door And Wins!!!

TheDealer
02-05-2005, 01:28 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~2691638,00.html

Smokie
02-05-2005, 01:48 PM
I think is best I don't comment on this, it would offend more than half the population..........

CBT
02-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Just wait till those gun-toting Girl Scout ruffians try to sell me cookies this year, I'll sue for ga-zillions!!

MarauderMark
02-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Just wait till those gun-toting Girl Scout ruffians try to sell me cookies this year, I'll sue for ga-zillions!!

Lol That'll teach them to be neighborlly.

Krytin
02-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Wanita Young already had "trouble" w/some of her neighbors - can't imagine how or why?! What a nasty old (?) lady!

jgc61sr2002
02-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Be careful, some people will sue for anything. :(

03SILVERSTREAK
02-05-2005, 04:34 PM
I thought I,ve seen it all and then a story like this just makes you scratch your head in disbelief and say " where are my cookies " ?

blackf0rk
02-05-2005, 06:23 PM
No one's gonna force me to eat cookies! DIE DIE DIE! ;)

chasrein01
02-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Sounds like she'll be one of those lonely "cat people" (no offence meant to those of us who like cats) that would rather be around the animals than people. After awhile noone will notice she hasn't been seen (if something happens) till it's too late, because everyone will be afraid to near her!

Krytin
02-05-2005, 07:24 PM
Something smell funny to you over t' Wanita's place?

Marauder386
02-05-2005, 07:36 PM
What I find so incredibly sad with this is the aftermath of this upon those two VERY NICE girls is that they themselves have been so "tainted" by this that they will probably never do something so wonderful again. This woman has caused (IMO) two of todays generation to join the ranks of their peers and detest everything that adults and the legal system do...Okay, shuttin up and getting off the soapbox because I am really angry at that lady....

:cool:

DEFYANT
02-05-2005, 07:58 PM
:censor: ought to choke on an oreo:bs:

MM2004
02-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Young said she believes that the girls should not have been running from door to door late at night.

"Something bad could have happened to them," she said.

Yeah, something bad alright! The girls met the b*tch from hell!

At best, Young deserves to choke on the next cookie she shoves in her. . .

Nevermind.

woaface
02-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Hi....

My name is Judge Walker and I fall asleep on the job a lot....

I don't know my gavel from my ass...

Ug...Why in the world did this even get as far as court. I wonder why I'm living around people like this sometimes.

dwasson
02-06-2005, 09:31 AM
From: 9News.Com (http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=e3cf0639-0abe-421a-00d2-832b5478fd7b&TEMPLATEID=4525fe63-ac1f-02d8-002a-f131478a1f55)

Cookie girls won't have to pay fine, Station raises money
posted by: Dan Werner

Created: 2/5/2005 11:36 AM MST - Updated: 2/5/2005 12:04 PM MST

DURANGO, Colo. (AP) - Two teenage girls who got in trouble for surprising their neighbors with homemade cookies will not have to pay nearly $1,000 in medical bills for a woman who says she was so startled that she had to go to the hospital.

Radio station KOA-AM of Denver raised more than $1,900 from listeners Friday to pay the girls' $930.78 fine. The rest of the money will go to a charity dedicated to victims of the Columbine High School massacre.

The story unfolded when teens Taylor Ostergaard, 17, and Lindsey Jo Zellitti, decided to bake chocolate chip and sugar cookies and place them outside their neighbors' doors with large red or pink construction-paper hearts that carried the message, "Have a great night" and were signed with their first initials: "Love, The T and L Club."

The trouble began when they approached the home of Wanita Renea Young, 49. Young said she heard someone banging on the door of her rural home late in the evening. She went to the door and saw "shadowy figures" but they refused to answer when she called out to them.

The teens said they did not answer when the woman called out because they wanted the treats to be a surprise.

Young said she was so frightened, she spent the night at her sister's home, then went to the hospital the next morning because she was still shaking and had an upset stomach.

The teens offered to pay Young's medical bills but she insisted on going to small claims court. Judge Doug Walker, after hearing the teens' explanation, awarded medical costs but declined to order punitive damages.

"The victory wasn't sweet," Young said. "I'm not gloating about it. I just hope the girls learned a lesson."

Meanwhile, Richard Ostergaard, father of Taylor, got a restraining order against Young's husband, Herb, in county court, claiming he continues to make harassing telephone calls to the Ostergaard residence.

Wanita Young said, "This has turned into quite a fiasco. It's something that never should have happened and it's just devastating. My phone hasn't stopped ringing. My life has been threatened and I'll probably have to move out of town."

Patrick
02-06-2005, 09:53 AM
She had to go to the hospital the "NEXT" day for an anxiety attack????? I guess were not in Kansas any more!!!!!!!!

Silver_04
02-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Doesn't seem to be anything a nice drive through Ms. Wanita Renea Young's yard wouldn't fix.

Deep down I hope this lady needs to borrow a cup of sugar from a neighbor one day and as she approaches the said neighbor's door a large mountain lion...never mind.

Haggis
02-06-2005, 10:01 AM
From: 9News.Com (http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=e3cf0639-0abe-421a-00d2-832b5478fd7b&TEMPLATEID=4525fe63-ac1f-02d8-002a-f131478a1f55)

Wanita Young said, "...and I'll probably have to move out of town."

Bye... :wave: , don't let the door hit you where the good Lord...nevermind!!
:hankie: Bye, bye. Is she gone yet?

Warning: All Girlscouts and Trick or Treaters, moving to a neighborhood near you. :help: :banned:

dwasson
02-13-2005, 09:55 AM
another update

clicky clicky (http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=493733&page=1)

Bluerauder
02-13-2005, 11:17 AM
Lol That'll teach them to be neighborlly.
No good deed goes unpunished !!! :D

JohnnyB
02-13-2005, 01:02 PM
I blame the stupid lawyer for taking this woman's case in the first place. Shows exactly where our legal system is headed. Anxiety attack... yeah right. :bs:

martyo
02-13-2005, 02:37 PM
I blame the stupid lawyer for taking this woman's case in the first place. Shows exactly where our legal system is headed. Anxiety attack... yeah right. :bs:

Sure Johnny, don't post on here for a year, disappear into the woodwork, and then come in here bashin' the nice lawyer folk..... :mad2:

By the way, how ya been?

JohnnyB
02-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Sure Johnny, don't post on here for a year, disappear into the woodwork, and then come in here bashin' the nice lawyer folk..... :mad2:

By the way, how ya been?

Been ok.... I know I haven't posted for a while. That law suit just upset me, coinsidering the current problems we're facing in this country. Anyway, I picked up a Mach 1 to add to the collection. You'll have to check it out at Yonkers Raceway.... :beer:

martyo
02-13-2005, 07:51 PM
I picked up a Mach 1 to add to the collection. You'll have to check it out at Yonkers Raceway.... :beer:

{color me jealous} We will definitely see each other!

WantOneSoBad
02-13-2005, 09:07 PM
It would be funny if the next knock on their door was someone they were expecting but then once she answered it, she was robbed for about $900 worth of stuff.

Things like that can only make you shake your head in disgust...:loco:

Ross
02-14-2005, 08:48 AM
There will always be stupid, greedy people in the world. The courts are supposed to protect us from people like that, not encourage them. I blame the judge. If I was up there, I would love to represent those girls in an appeal of that ruling. Hopefully someone will.

djmcnary
02-14-2005, 05:48 PM
Wanita Young said, "This has turned into quite a fiasco. It's something that never should have happened and it's just devastating. My phone hasn't stopped ringing. My life has been threatened and I'll probably have to move out of town."

Yeah, that is just a darn shame. Sounds like the lady is dummer than a box of hammers. (yeah...I am the victim, waa waa....oh shut up!) Apparently this lady has never had to face any real stress in her life.....oh well I'll be quiet now...it just really ticked me off.

Douglas<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

dwasson
02-17-2005, 10:41 AM
The story continues.

clicky clicky (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=816&ncid=816&e=2&u=/ap/20050217/ap_on_fe_st/costly_cookies)

Patrick
02-17-2005, 11:45 AM
The story continues.

clicky clicky (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=816&ncid=816&e=2&u=/ap/20050217/ap_on_fe_st/costly_cookies)

All this over cookies," she said. "Our home is like a funeral parlor. They've robbed us of our laughter. My spirit, my soul, is damaged."

:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

TheDealer
02-17-2005, 12:12 PM
SHE'S A WACKO!!!! Can't work, or do anything. What a NUT!!!

bobbyc
02-17-2005, 01:09 PM
WTF has this got to do with Mercury Marauders??!!

Patrick
02-17-2005, 01:16 PM

One day she was driving and got an anxiety attack when passed by a S/C MM. But thats another law suit!!!!!!
:lol:

dwasson
02-17-2005, 01:17 PM

If the girls had been driving a Marauder they would have gotten away faster and not been indentified.

TheDealer
02-17-2005, 01:17 PM

Nothing, this is the Lounge...

Haggis
02-17-2005, 05:40 PM
SHE'S A WACKO!!!! Can't work, or do anything. What a NUT!!!

Can you say 'LOOSER".

L

Krytin
02-18-2005, 07:45 AM
Can you say here comes the next law suit - can't work or do anything!

de minimus
02-21-2005, 09:11 PM
Where did this happen? Colorado. Lots of dumb lawsuits coming out of there these days. Yes hockey fans I'm talking about Moore v. Bertuzzi et al. Could this:wflag: ever happen in football or basketball?

Vortex
02-22-2005, 08:53 PM
Someone comes beating on my door at 10:30 at night, a lawsuit is the least of their worries.

dwasson
02-22-2005, 09:54 PM
Someone comes beating on my door at 10:30 at night, a lawsuit is the least of their worries.

Maybe you need to switch to a decaf. :uzi:

dwasson
03-14-2005, 11:02 PM
Dad of teen in cookie suit gets order against neighbor

Durango - The father of a Durango-area teenager sued in a case involving cookies left on a neighbor's porch has gone to court to stop the woman's husband from calling him.

Richard Ostergaard got a temporary restraining order against Wanita Young's husband, Herb Young, in county court, claiming he continues to make harassing telephone calls to the Ostergaard residence.

On July 31, Taylor Ostergaard and Lindsey Zellitti decided to skip a dance and, instead, bake cookies for neighbors. They knocked on doors, dropped off the cookies along with heart-shaped wishes that recipients "have a great night," then ran away.

Wanita Young said that when the pair knocked on her door about 10:30 p.m., it frightened her into an anxiety attack. A Durango judge Thursday awarded about $900 to the 49-year-old woman to cover some medical bills incurred when she ended up at the emergency room the next day.

Wanita Young said, "This has turned into quite a fiasco. It's something that never should have happened, and it's just devastating. My phone hasn't stopped ringing. My life has been threatened, and I'll probably have to move out of town."

The families say the girls' court costs are covered, but people who still want to donate can designate that the money be used for the girls' college funds or for the "Never Forgotten" scholarship fund for Columbine students. The families set up this address for mail and donations: Taylor Ostergaard and Lindsey Zellitti, P.O. Box 2528, Durango, CO 81301

LVMarauder
03-14-2005, 11:19 PM
This is the most ****ing rediculous thing I've ever heard of. My jaw was on the ground and I wrote to the guy/paper that published it to see if anyone was trying to counter sure for being a detestable, horrible person.

This jsut proves to me what a joke our legal system is. I cant beleive the judge acutally sided with the old witch. Too bad stonings have gone out of fashion.

rookie1
03-15-2005, 07:24 AM
This is a weird story. There is something a little fishy about delivering the cookies at 10:30 PM and just knocking and leaving. Would you eat cookies left on your porch by a stranger? I'm not siding with the woman but someone knocking on my door at 10:30 would make my dog bark and growl his head off waking the entire household and force me to grab my sidearm b4 I opened the door. I live in a rural area relatively crime free but it would still be weird.

Ross
03-15-2005, 08:17 AM
This jsut proves to me what a joke our legal system is. I cant beleive the judge acutally sided with the old witch. Too bad stonings have gone out of fashion.

If the legal system wasn't a joke, I'd have to get a real job!
:(