PDA

View Full Version : Zinc - The Miracle Mineral

Marc
02-08-2005, 06:26 AM
I'm not a doctor, and I don't even play one on TV, but has anyone taken zinc on a regular basis? It seems that I get every germ walking down the street, but I've been taking zinc daily for a month now, and I have not had so much as a sniffle.

The BEST part for the guys is that it I've noticed some positive side effects in addition to not getting a cold, but I'll let you figure out what those are on your own.

Amsoil_Dealer
02-08-2005, 07:40 AM
I don't take Zinc suplements but it makes a pretty good anti-wear additive in motor oil!

Don

cyclone03
02-08-2005, 08:08 AM
The BEST part for the guys is that it I've noticed some positive side effects in addition to not getting a cold, but I'll let you figure out what those are on your own.

Cool! Your tools don't rust when zinc coated!

Brutus
02-08-2005, 10:19 AM
I regularly take zinc with vitamin c during the cold and flu season and believe it helps greatly. I believe there has even been some studies on this also.

ctrcbob
02-08-2005, 01:27 PM
When you had ZINK in the title, I thought you were talking about ZDDP, the zink that they add to motor oil. :D

CBT
02-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Reduced 1/4 mile times? Throatier exhaust note?:D

Marc
02-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Reduced 1/4 mile times? Throatier exhaust note?:D

I suppose in a manner of speaking :coolman:

snowbird
02-08-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm not a doctor, and I don't even play one on TV, but has anyone taken zinc on a regular basis? It seems that I get every germ walking down the street, but I've been taking zinc daily for a month now, and I have not had so much as a sniffle.

I read somewhere it’s one of the most important ingredient the testicles need for the production of sperm to bring back the “inventory”. If Zinc supplement also offer some protection against colds, as an added bonus, you won’t get thrown out by coughing while doing it. Good luck.

BillyGman
02-09-2005, 01:14 AM
I take Zinc too, but what I've found is that most minerals in general will keep you in pretty good health. We need many of the minerals that are in the ground to be replenished in our bodies on a daily basis. I personally take high amounts of Magnesium (NOT to be confused with high amonts of Potassium which can cause severe muscle cramping) as well as moderate dosages of Zinc. Infact, I've found that high amounts of Magnesium along with a modest daily multi-vitamin which hasn't anymore than 250 MG of vitamin C works alot better for keeping me healthy than taking 500-1,000mg of vitamin C.

But magnesium should really be taken once at morning, and once during the day or night. it works better if it's taken atleast twice daily. I take a TWINLAB brand 400mg Magnesium capsule twice per day (NOT Potassium!!!). With that, I stay healthy all year round, and I never get flu shots.

martyo
02-09-2005, 04:49 AM
I find that my iron supplement leaves me constipated.

Marc
02-09-2005, 05:55 AM
I take Zinc too, but what I've found is that most minerals in general will keep you in pretty good health. We need many of the minerals that are in the ground to be replenished in our bodies on a daily basis. I personallt take high amounts of Magnesium (NOT to be confused with high amonts of Potassium which can cause severe muscle cramping) as well as moderate dosages of Zinc. Infact, I've found that high amounts of Zinc along with a modest daily multi-vitamin which hasn't anymore than 250 MG of vitamin C works alot better for keeping me healthy than taking 500-1,000mg of vitamin C.

But magnesium should really be taken once at morning, and once during the day or night. it works better if it's taken atleast twice daily. I take a TWINLAB brand 400mg Magnesium capsule twice per day (NOT Potassium!!!). With that, I stay healthy all year round, and I never get flu shots.

What does Magnesium do? What are its benefits?

Patrick
02-09-2005, 07:05 AM
I find that my iron supplement leaves me constipated.

Try Aluminum!!!!!

Patrick
02-09-2005, 07:08 AM
I take Cold Eze. Its got Zinc in it. Even if you get a touch of the flu its not bad and last just a day or so. Just my 2 cents.

teamrope
02-09-2005, 07:40 AM
As an added bonus, Zink is also inhibits rust. :D

BillyGman
02-09-2005, 07:58 AM
I find that my iron supplement leaves me constipated.That can happen with some people. For the most part, women have a greater need for iron supplementation than men do because of their monthly blood loss. I take iron, but it doesn't effect me in a negative way like that. Dried apricots and/or raw red bell peppers do the trick for me.

BillyGman
02-09-2005, 08:13 AM
What does Magnesium do? What are its benefits?Like Isaid, most mineral supplementation will go a long way to keeping you healthy (more so than vitamin supplements in my experience). That isn't to neccessarily say that vitamin supplementation isn't beneficial, but minerals work alot better for me. It's minerals that have improved my health BIG TIME, and not vitamins although I do take both now.

I began taking magnesium because I found that it is nature's muscle relaxer, and a VERY EFFECTIVE one it is indeed!! I had problems with muscle cramping, and it wasn't only at night. It was effecting my exercise routine. I found that taking Potassium for muscle cramping is an old wives' tale, and infact high dosages of Potassium will even cause muscle cramping in and of itself, let alone prevent it. An expert recommended taking 1200 MG per day (one 400mg cap with each meal) to prevent the muscle cramping I had, and I found that it works very quickly (within 24 hours) and since then I've tapered down to 800mg daily (one 400mg cap in breakfast, and one w/supper) and that's also fine. But I also found that a fringe benefit is that it keeps me healthy even if I'm around others who are sick with colds and the flu.

I've been on this Magnesium dosage now for three years, and it's fantastic. twinlabs brand is the only one I've found that offers 400mg capsules, so I use them. They only cost me $8 for a 200 capsule bottle so it's very economical as well. And I only have to take two of them per day. However, you have to take it in split dosages like that, because taking Magnesium once per day is NOT frequent enough. It's benefits work very quickly, but it also doesn't last in your system very long either. There are many good places to buy it fropm. I get it from www.dpsnutrition.com (http://www.dpsnutrition.com) since I rarely go to the pharmacy, and they overcharge for supplements anyway.