PDA

View Full Version : Anything to be concerned about?

MM2004
02-12-2005, 07:10 AM
The other morning while driving to work. . .

Headlights on
Foglights on
Heather blower motor on medium to low speed
Bun warmer on
R/defrost on

Let her warm up for a couple of min. Drove for 5 minutes. Came to a stop light and noticed the volt meter showing 12 volts! Touch the loud pedal and would jump to 14 volts.
A lot of accessories were running, however would this be considered normal?
After the defrost kicked off, I would show around 13 volts at idle with engine at operating temp.
No engine mods w/warm idle around 700 rpm?

Mike.

Bluerauder
02-12-2005, 07:21 AM

Headlights on
Foglights on
Bun warmer on
R/defrost on

Let her warm up for a couple of min. Drove for 5 minutes. Came to a stop light and noticed the volt meter showing 12 volts! Touch the loud pedal and would jump to 14 volts.

Mike.
Did you forget to turn the radio/CD on? :rofl:

I have noticed the same thing. Voltmeter registers 12v or a hair below when all accessories are running and I'm idling at a stoplight (normally the first one closest to the house after a cold start). After a little more time, the difference decreases as the battery recharges. I don't think it is a problem under those conditions. :D

DTR04
02-12-2005, 07:21 AM

Headlights on
Foglights on
Bun warmer on
R/defrost on

A lot of accessories were running, however would this be considered normal?
After the defrost kicked off, I would show around 13 volts at idle with engine at operating temp.
No engine mods w/warm idle around 700 rpm?

Mike.
It's normal. The rear defroster draws a lot of juice.

RoyLPita
02-12-2005, 07:48 AM
You could have it checked out. It won't cost you anything even if it ends up being normal.

FordNut
02-12-2005, 08:30 AM
It's normal.

Paul T. Casey
02-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Shouldn't be a problem, I've been running the u/d's and my voltage gets into the 11 range sometimes. Battery is still strong after 82K miles, and I don't recall exactly, but the computer requires a real low volt output, so you should be fine.

jgc61sr2002
02-12-2005, 10:37 AM
Sounds normal to me. Not to worry.

DEFYANT
02-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Normal.....