PDA

View Full Version : DLP Projection anyone?

TechHeavy
02-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Hey guys,

I would like input from any of you who have DLP/LCD projectors, (for home theater viewing). I currently have a nice rear-projection television in the movie room, but am looking for a solution for my rec room. Since there is limited space there, (the pool table is the center piece) I am considering a DLP projection system. After crunching the numbers, a 13' throw distance would give me about a 65" viewing area.... not bad. I'm thinking "projection" since I want the image to be on the wall, (and plasma/lcd televisions of this size are outrageously priced).
I'm looking very hard at the Panasonic PT-AE700U projector. Here's a link: http://www.projectorpeople.com/projectors/projspec.asp?itemid=19027&itmname=Panasonic+PT%2DAE700U

I'm thinking some of you guys may have LCD projectors... If so, what do you think of this unit?

Thanks.

TechHeavy
02-13-2005, 07:12 AM
Bump......

Anyone?

MarauderMike
02-13-2005, 02:18 PM
I've had a Studio Experience 17sf
http://shopmiracle.com/se17sf-000.html for the past couple of years and have been very happy with it. This unit was made by Boxlight, well known name in projectors http://www.boxlight.com. I see they have some newer models now. I haven't had any of the problems that you frequently hear about with DLP. I've only set it up to use with HDTV once and it was outstanding, so I wouldn't hesitate suggesting the Boxlight Product. Hopefully the room you are going to be using it in has very few windows if any at all. While the 1000 lums will give you a viewable picture in a lighted room (ambient light) it will still wash out a fair amount. I currently use a screen for viewing but I have a friend who set his wall to view on and it works out great. Strongly suggest painting the borders of the wall area in black about 6 inches wide, most DLP projectors will have some white area to the outside of the picture and the black border absorbs that light.
Basic rule I followed when I was looking for projectors was the more lums the better and the higher the contrast the better. Good Luck!

TechHeavy
02-13-2005, 02:39 PM
I've had a Studio Experience 17sf
http://shopmiracle.com/se17sf-000.html for the past couple of years and have been very happy with it. This unit was made by Boxlight, well known name in projectors http://www.boxlight.com (http://www.boxlight.com/). I see they have some newer models now. I haven't had any of the problems that you frequently hear about with DLP. I've only set it up to use with HDTV once and it was outstanding, so I wouldn't hesitate suggesting the Boxlight Product. Hopefully the room you are going to be using it in has very few windows if any at all. While the 1000 lums will give you a viewable picture in a lighted room (ambient light) it will still wash out a fair amount. I currently use a screen for viewing but I have a friend who set his wall to view on and it works out great. Strongly suggest painting the borders of the wall area in black about 6 inches wide, most DLP projectors will have some white area to the outside of the picture and the black border absorbs that light.
Basic rule I followed when I was looking for projectors was the more lums the better and the higher the contrast the better. Good Luck!
Yep! Only 1 window and will be using a very thick, "light-blocking" curtain, (plus shade) on it. Thanks for the tip on the Boxlight... hadn't read-up on that one yet... Excellent tip on the black border around the viewing area! All the research I've done in the past weeks and that's the first time I heard that. It makes perfect sense though, which is why I posted this here. I figured at least one of my Marauder buddies had experimented with this.

Thanks for the input Mike!

Logan
02-13-2005, 04:32 PM
The Dell projectors are fairly cost effective, have all the hdtv inputs and are incredibly bright. I'm running a Dell 4100MP personally. Ambient light and all that doesn't matter as much as it's powerful enough to operate in all circumstances. The image it throws is incredible.

Just an FYI.

TechHeavy
02-13-2005, 04:46 PM
The Dell projectors are fairly cost effective, have all the hdtv inputs and are incredibly bright. I'm running a Dell 4100MP personally. Ambient light and all that doesn't matter as much as it's powerful enough to operate in all circumstances. The image it throws is incredible.

Just an FYI.
Very nice Logan. I should've known to ask you... I did a search on the Dell 4100MP and it is awesome. The best lumens and contrast, plus the right hdtv inputs are exactly what I'm looking for. The 4100MP has over twice the lumens I was looking at with the Panasonic.

Thanks for the input! :)

Logan
02-13-2005, 04:54 PM
Which is why I not only bought the unit, hell, I picked up the family, moved to austin, and went to work for them. ;)

Though there might of been a couple other reasons too.... hehehe... :bandit:

TechHeavy
02-14-2005, 09:09 AM
Which is why I not only bought the unit, hell, I picked up the family, moved to austin, and went to work for them. ;)

Though there might of been a couple other reasons too.... hehehe... :bandit:
Lol. Sweet!

Badger
02-14-2005, 10:30 AM
I've had a home theather set up for two years.

Bought a Sanyo PLV-60-HT projector along with a panasonic progressive DVD player.
Have a Da-Lite High Contrast Perm Wall 106" screen. That's about 8' wide by 4' tall. It been great not having to shell out 50 bucks going to the movies with the family. I can drink a beer and not have to worry about missing anything when I get up to go to the bathroom. I had pictures of it somewhere. I'll post when I can find them.

TechHeavy
02-15-2005, 04:42 PM
I've had a home theather set up for two years.

Bought a Sanyo PLV-60-HT projector along with a panasonic progressive DVD player.
Have a Da-Lite High Contrast Perm Wall 106" screen. That's about 8' wide by 4' tall. It been great not having to shell out 50 bucks going to the movies with the family. I can drink a beer and not have to worry about missing anything when I get up to go to the bathroom. I had pictures of it somewhere. I'll post when I can find them.
Man, that sounds like the kind of set-up I want. Very nice. Thanks for the Perm Wall info as well. Yep, from my 21' throw distance, (that's the max as it is from wall to wall, I will have about a 104" screen. Is your screen mounted, (open) to the wall, or is it the pull-down when needed type?
Yeah, I'd love to see those pics! :)