PDA

View Full Version : New trailer for my Marauder! Pics!!!

FiveO
02-13-2005, 11:17 AM
Well gang....

In an effort to keep the miles off the Marauder during track runs...closest two tracks are both 2 hours away...I purchased a 20 foot flatbed tilt trailer.

As usual....I did my research.

Flatbed trailers hold their value fairly well. I could have gotten a used one for about $1500 if I'd wanted a dovetail with ramps. My Marauder could have handled this...but my fathers 12 second Mustang has a very low clearance in the middle (exhaust) and with the shorter wheelbase....it would have been tough. Soooo....a flatbed tilt was the way to go.

I started looking and found several brand names in the $2500-$3000 range but most of them were 18 footers. With the sheer length of the Marauder I wanted, moreso needed a 20 foot.

I posted a message on a local Mustang board and a young kid came back and suggested H&H Trailers out of Iowa, ( www.hhtrailer.com ). He even went so far as to suggest a small dealer just south of the MN/IA border.

I did not want to spend $3000 on a trailer (just the trailer, not extras). I also wanted to check out an actual trailer (kick the tires, etc) before buying.

I found a Trailer dealer just south of the Twin Cities that sells H&H trailers. I went up and looked at one and was very impressed. They gave me the hardcore sales pitch and I left....knowing I wanted an H&H but also knowing I wouldn't be buying from this company.

I went with a manual tiltbed...not electric. Electric is nice...but not really needed for how many times I'll be using it a year (maybe 2x per month). It is also $750-$1000 more.

The manual tiltbed is really nice too....the weight of the car actually helps move it up and down fairly easily.

I also learned alot about hitches in this "investigation". Wow....there's alot out there. It took me three tries to find the right hitch ball, 10,000 pound 2 5/16th inch.

I decided to go with a 12,000 pound Reese weight transfer heavy duty Hitch....about $250...but well worth it due to the weight of the car and trailer.

I also wanted to go with a wood bed. Treated of course and should last 10 years. I went with wood because its not as slippery when wet.

Couple important things I wanted on the trailer. Dual #3500 pound axles with electric brakes on BOTH axles. Didn't want to take any chances. Do it right the first time.

Now the pics:

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL283/1552930/4651240/85234325.jpg

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL283/1552930/4651240/85234146.jpg

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL283/1552930/4651240/85233951.jpg

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL283/1552930/4651240/85234092.jpg

Ron Harris of Ron Harris Trailer Sales sold me this brand new trailer for $2250. $100 for a new extra spare tire (on rim of course). MN tax and license will run $160. Reese heavy duty hitch and ball was about $250 total.

I also had a new electric brake control put in, total cost of $150.

Thats it folks. Should last for many many years and haul the Marauder with no problem whatsoever.

She follows very well and is heavy enough, even empty, that she doesn't "skip" on bumps.

She's gonna get a few miles on her. Michigan on Feb. 24th, again in August :D and a few trips to tracks around here.

If they do a SSHS5....I'll be there!

Next up is a used Ford F350 (2000 or 2001) Diesel. I'm using my fathers 2004 Dodge 1500 (Hemi) to pull her now. One thing at a time!

Anyone needs a contact for the trailer company....PM me. Very nice gent who sold me the trailer....highly recommended.

Later this spring I'll be putting a box on the front of the trailer (probably 12-18 inches wide). Dual purpose: To store some items and to keep road crap from hitting the front of the car on the trailer.

Enjoy!

rayjay
02-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Very, very nice! No snow either??? I'm jealous.

MM2004
02-13-2005, 11:33 AM
FiveO,
Nice rig! :high5:

A friend of mine has one like that he hauls his '68 Camaro around on.

I am sure you will very very happy with it for years to come.

:rock:

Mike.

FiveO
02-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Yeah...no snow...but as you can see....its raining! In February!!!

Bradley G
02-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Nice Mark,

Does this mean officially your car is a trailer Queen?;)
Bradley G

FiveO
02-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Nice Mark,

Does this mean officially your car is a trailer Queen?;)
Bradley G

Not officially...but if she's more than about 150 miles from home....she'll be on the trailer.

More of a trailer Princess ;) :D

Bradley G
02-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Great Idea!

Many who use the Marauder daily will look back in years to come ,and wish they woulda shoulda, including yours truely:o

martyo
02-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Nice rig Mark! Congrats!!

Marauder386
02-13-2005, 12:23 PM
Imitation is the best form of emulation...Mark, thats EXACTLY what I was going to start searching for, for my "Princess"...Out-freekin-standing ! You and I, Sir, will be in contact soon....

:cool:

Haggis
02-13-2005, 12:23 PM
One question, where are the walls and ceiling? Isn't supposed to be an enclosed trailer?? Ok, two questions. :D

Marauderman
02-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Mark- That is an outstanding trailer!!! :banana: --Like to see a man's plan come together-like you told me in ALt...I think you have set the standards by which we are all enviously in pursuit of......thanks alot.....oh yeah---that reminds me --do that tax thingy.....Tom

FiveO
02-13-2005, 01:08 PM
One question, where are the walls and ceiling? Isn't supposed to be an enclosed trailer?? Ok, two questions. :D

I could have gotten an enclosed trailer...but a good one runs quite a bit of money....minimum $5K.

I wanted some money left over for mods :D

All in due time. Next up Diesel pickup.....3-4 years down the line....possibly an enclosed one.

This'll have to do for now. ;) :P :D

FiveO
02-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Mark- That is an outstanding trailer!!! :banana: --Like to see a man's plan come together-like you told me in ALt...I think you have set the standards by which we are all enviously in pursuit of......thanks alot.....oh yeah---that reminds me --do that tax thingy.....Tom

Just being practical my friend.

I don't want to have a 2004 Marauder with 100K on it in 3 years :).....as I won't be giving up my long trips to drag race for a day!

Glenn
02-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Mark:

A really beautiful trailer. Best of luck with it. Now there is NO excuse for not coming to the FFW in April at Commerce. I may even run you heads-up: how's that for a challange!!! See you in April.

Glenn

FiveO
02-13-2005, 01:31 PM
If I can swing it Glenn...I'll be there.

Only problem is time off....and thats the time that racing season starts here too.

I'll see what I can work out :)

jgc61sr2002
02-13-2005, 05:58 PM
Mark - Congrats, a very nice looking trailer. I could use one myself but storage is a problem at this time. :( Too many toys. :D

mpearce
02-13-2005, 06:38 PM
Mark,

Beautiful set up!

I've been looking for something myself. We now have 2 race cars in the family, my MM and (Heather's 87 Turbo Regal) that could use a trailer like this.

Question...you went with the Reece...now is that labeled a class 4 ball and hitch? Did you have to install that on your Dodge before you hooked up the trailer? Or did you use your stock towing hitch? For some reason I remember there being something on my stock hitch on the Yukon saying that I shoulnd't tow more than 3,000lbs without a weight distributor, and then I could tow 5,000lbs? I'd have to look.

What does your whole combo actually weigh? Car + Trailer?

-Mat

FiveO
02-13-2005, 07:04 PM
Mark,

Beautiful set up!

I've been looking for something myself. We now have 2 race cars in the family, my MM and (Heather's 87 Turbo Regal) that could use a trailer like this.

Question...you went with the Reece...now is that labeled a class 4 ball and hitch? Did you have to install that on your Dodge before you hooked up the trailer? Or did you use your stock towing hitch? For some reason I remember there being something on my stock hitch on the Yukon saying that I shoulnd't tow more than 3,000lbs without a weight distributor, and then I could tow 5,000lbs? I'd have to look.

What does your whole combo actually weigh? Car + Trailer?

-Mat

The heavy duty hitch goes right into the stock towing package.

I'll take a pic of it the next couple days.

Its a weight transfer hitch. You attach C-Clamps to the front of the trailer and then arms go from the hitch to the C-Clamps...then you tighten the arms (which have chains on them) up to the C-Clamps. Its tough to explain...but it transfers weight and basically evens out the line between the trailer and the truck. Its a 12,000 hitch. The basic hardware store tongue is only rated at 6,000 pounds.

My car, in race trim, weighs 4250+...with me at 240 its 4515. The trailer weighs about 2300 pounds. Soooo...I'm looking at a 6,500 pound load every time I haul it. I didn't want to rely on a 6,000 pound hitch and a 6,000 ball.

I'm not gonna lose my baby while driving down the highway :)

I'll check and see what its rated at when I take some pics.

HwyCruiser
02-13-2005, 07:07 PM
Nice. Here's to the pursuit of toys and their accessories. :beer:

mpearce
02-13-2005, 08:25 PM
I'll check and see what its rated at when I take some pics.
Thanks Mark, I appreciate that! The whole deal looks wonderful. I like the wood also...great choice.

-Mat

Bigdogjim
02-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Great job of doing your homework:up:

Patrick
02-13-2005, 10:33 PM
:2thumbs: Mark!!!!!