PDA

View Full Version : A Question for all of the DVD Collectors out there !!!

MENINBLK
02-13-2005, 10:39 PM
I have a very LARGE collection of DVDs that I want to catalog.
Once I've cataloged them, I'm planning on getting rid of some of the DVDs I don't care for.
(Possibly eBay or I'll list them here in the classifieds first.)
My collection is probably in the upwards of 500+ discs.
I've been collecting very sparingly over the last 6+ years.
My first DVD Movie was Twister, just to show you how far back my collection goes...

Do you guys know of any software available that's up to the task of cataloging DVDs ?
Something that has simple data entry like the ISBN number,
and it can pull up all of the info on the DVD ?

I am also looking for a "wife approved" method of storing these,
without moving my collection to my basement...

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sully008
02-13-2005, 10:54 PM
Once I've cataloged them, I'm planning on getting rid of some of the DVDs I don't care for.
My first DVD Movie was Twister, just to show you how far back my collection goes...

Do you guys know of any software available that's up to the task of cataloging DVDs ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Try this:

http://www.readerware.com/rwOvw.html

It was one of three cataloging softwares that came up in my search. Or you could use a database program like Excel. As for a "wife approved" method of storage....I can't help you with that one. Sorry!

Mike Poore
02-13-2005, 11:46 PM
[QUOTE=MENINBLK]I have a very LARGE collection of DVDs that I want to catalog. ...QUOTE]

If you have Microsoft "Office", on your machine, you can use "Access" and make as many fields to sort them any way you want. Lotus works the same way, although it's not as well known; but either one can handle a project that small with ease. You might want to think about using the thin packs of jewel cases which would save you half the storage space as the origonals. Goood luck, sounds like a neat and fun project.:)

hitchhiker
02-14-2005, 12:21 AM

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
If you have the full version of MS Office you can easily use the MS Access database to prepare an easy to use database and then do reports and queries and screens for it as well as keep it up to date in perpetuity.

You can choose what kind of information you want to include like:

Year Released, media type, Title, Studio, ISBN, UPC code, Sales Price, Major Actor, Major Actress, Awards Won, and any other bits of information that you might find useful for sorting or querying your collection.

If you don't want to create your own you might check on sites like CNET.COM and DOWNLOAD.COM to see if any shareware offerings exist.

Regards,

David

GarageMahal
02-16-2005, 11:23 AM
I have been buying DVDs since day one... I think I bought nearly every DVD release the first year DVDs were available (even the really bad ones).

I used this in the past but I am a bit out of date. I really liked it.

DVD Profiler (http://www.intervocative.com/dvdpro/Info.aspx)

It looks up the UPC code and download all of the relevant details.

jta

MENINBLK
02-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions...

I'm not into programming anymore so MS Office and any database applications that require me to code are out of the question.

I like the Readerware that Sully008 recommended since it searches over a number of different Internet Based Databases
to give you the most current and accurate information as well as the current VALUE of your DVDs.

The DVD Profiler is also very nice, but it looks too graphical for me.
I'm not against pretty, but I'm not looking for pretty, I'm looking for easy to use.
I like the abaility to read the DVD and automatically emter it, but I'd like to try it out and see
if it can detect the Collector's DVDs from the Extended or Special Edition DVDs.
Sometimes the DVD Disc may be the same but the packaging is different.
"The Wizard Of Oz" is a good exampe of this...

I've got both applications downloaded and installed.
I'll let you know which one I like the best...

Butch
02-16-2005, 12:26 PM
Use this to create your catalog:
www.dvdspot.com

It is a FREE service and the features are great!

They are currently down so that they can be moved to new, faster servers and internet access, since their last provider thought they were growing too fast for them to handle....Anyway....It is a GREAT service.

It allows you to put in your disks just from the UPC code, so that way you don't have any typing to do for most of your collection, plus you can then share your list out with your friends, or make a list of your "wants", so that others can see what to buy you for gifts!

I love it and keep all of my disks on there. I hate to see them having trouble with their internet service provider right now, but I know that it won't be long till he gets everything moved over to a new service. I am willing to wait. The tech support from the guy that runs it is also very good. He responds to your "enhancement" requests very quickly, and tries to actually use any suggestions you may have.

At least take a look at it. (Once it is back online)
Also, if you are afraid that you would put your data in, and then he disappears again, you are able to make a backup of your data to your local machine, so that way, you didn't waste your time.

Later!
Butch

dwasson
02-16-2005, 03:48 PM
I have about 1500 CDs and I have a two units like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22653&item=4356760933&rd=1) for storage. I love them.

QWK SVT
02-17-2005, 08:10 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions...

I'm not into programming anymore so MS Office and any database applications that require me to code are out of the question.

I like the Readerware that Sully008 recommended since it searches over a number of different Internet Based Databases
to give you the most current and accurate information as well as the current VALUE of your DVDs.

The DVD Profiler is also very nice, but it looks too graphical for me.
I'm not against pretty, but I'm not looking for pretty, I'm looking for easy to use.
I like the abaility to read the DVD and automatically emter it, but I'd like to try it out and see
if it can detect the Collector's DVDs from the Extended or Special Edition DVDs.
Sometimes the DVD Disc may be the same but the packaging is different.
"The Wizard Of Oz" is a good exampe of this...

I've got both applications downloaded and installed.
I'll let you know which one I like the best...
I use DVD Profiler, myself. I find it very easy to use. I have slightly more than 400 DVDs right now, so I know where you're coming from... It's free, and can really do a lot of cool things (reporting, cost tracking, etc.)...

The reason for the cover variation is that the covers are scanned by other users who want to contribute. If they are from another region, it may be slightly different, even though the same UPC.

Being from Canada, the covers don't always match 100% of the time, but they're often close (sometimes there is French on our English covers, if the manufacturer is too lazy to print two seperate). I can live with it, and there are often updates.