PDA

View Full Version : Bye, Bye Big Car?

TheFlatlander
02-15-2005, 08:08 AM
What do you make of this, The demise of the large car? Just caught this in the Detroit News of all places.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0502/15/A01-90583.htm

There is a place to vote on this article. let them know that we still exist. This kind of press, although has some truth in it , doesn't bode well for the continuation of the large car platforms.

On another note, insiders are reporting a $300M plant upgrade to our Plant of origion in St. Thomas so it appears that there is still a little life in the Panther.

MENINBLK
02-15-2005, 08:18 AM
What I don't get is the writer never even thinks of MARKET SATURATION !
Everywhere I look, I see Panthers...
Cabs, Police, Utilities, Fleets, and Civilians. These cars have something going for them that most others do not !!!

THEY LAST LONGER AND THEY ARE SAFER !!!

There isn't even a mention of this in the entire article.

But yet, they had to mention that the Marauder was dropped... :rolleyes:

And out of all the sales numbers, they did NOT mention once, that most of the BIG RWD cars,
that were made by GM and Chrylser/Dodge/Plymouth aren't here today,
that were here back in the 1990s, and either were dropped or converted to FWD, like the Caprice/Impala,
and a big percentage of todays numbers are PANTHERS !!! :banana:

Here is the closest statement to this...
"Cars like the Ford Five Hundred, Chrysler 300C, and Toyota Avalon, which are really large mid-size cars, are being marketed as full-size."
The Buick Park Avenue/LeSabre, and the Taurus/Sable/Continental fits into this segment as well.
None of them are LARGE cars.

dwasson
02-15-2005, 08:42 AM
Well, in the sense that there aren't many cars as big as the old Lincoln Mark IV they may be right.

ckadiddle
02-15-2005, 11:19 AM
When all the V8's are gone from production, then we have instant Collector's items. heeheehee