PDA

View Full Version : New Way To Steal A Car

Marauderman
02-15-2005, 09:14 AM
A friend at work just sent this to me--he got this from a friend as well--not sure of it's legit or not but am curious enough to ask my frdwrnch about it to find out---hey Russel--can you or anyone else enlighten us whether this is true or not?

Quote-

" Seems car thieves have found yet another way to steal your car or truck without any effort at all. The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a dublicate key based on teh VIN #.
I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called a friend at Chrysler Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN # , and they would cut me one on the spot and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.
The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a dublicate key from the VIN#, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle.
You don't believe it? It IS that easy. To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical tape, duct tape, or medical tape ) across the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board. By law, you cannot remove the VIN , but you can cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief.
I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thied steals another car or truck. I slipped a 3X5 card over the VIN #. " End of Quote

So ....is this true.....anybody>>>

O's Fan Rich
02-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Yeah, I've heard of it.
Con men/women can be pretty slick, even if the dealership is on the ball.
Many people fall for the sob stories of conmen and parts guys are no exception.
Key codes are out there somewhere.

martyo
02-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Urban legend.

I get this via e-mail at least once a week.

Marauderman
02-15-2005, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I've heard of it.
Con men/women can be pretty slick, even if the dealership is on the ball.
Many people fall for the sob stories of conmen and parts guys are no exception.
Key codes are out there somewhere.

Hey "Ray" aka "The Dealer", any comments on this?...........Thanks..Tom

DEFYANT
02-15-2005, 09:22 AM
I heard of this. It seems very possible. An aftermarket anti-theft device is a good idea. A simple one is to hook a switch in the brake light circuit. Flip the switch and you cant get the car out of park. ;)

Bradley G
02-15-2005, 09:23 AM
That's why we don't drive " NO STINKin' DoDGes":D

Bradley G

Marauderman
02-15-2005, 09:24 AM
Hey "Ray" aka "The Dealer", any comments on this?...........Thanks..Tom
Seems if this was possible , the Dealership would at least have a policy to verify the VIN against the owners name and ask for and ID--right?

Dr Caleb
02-15-2005, 09:28 AM
http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/vin.asp

Some truth, mostly urban legend.

Marauder owners, and anyone with a PATS system doesn't have to worry. Even if they came up with a duplicate key, unless the computer is programmed to accept the key (using 2 other recognized keys) the key will only serve to make the car completely useless if it's used to start the car.

The only way to steal it, would be to tow it. And even then, it would require a trip to the dealer to get running again.

martyo
02-15-2005, 09:29 AM
It is also illegal to cover your VIN in some states (NY for instance).

Marauderman
02-15-2005, 09:42 AM
http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/vin.asp

Some truth, mostly urban legend.

Marauder owners, and anyone with a PATS system doesn't have to worry. Even if they came up with a duplicate key, unless the computer is programmed to accept the key (using 2 other recognized keys) the key will only serve to make the car completely useless if it's used to start the car.

The only way to steal it, would be to tow it. And even then, it would require a trip to the dealer to get running again.

Hey Dr. --Great research --and quickly too I might add---Your info really explains it good---sorry folks--but It WAS the first I heard of such----Thanks again........Tom

Bluerauder
02-15-2005, 09:43 AM
" Seems car thieves have found yet another way to steal your car or truck without any effort at all. The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a dublicate key based on teh VIN #.
I have a friend who lost a brand new GMC Suburban (less than 1 month old) about 3 years ago and this is exactly what happened. The vehicle was recovered about a year after the incident somewhere out in the mid-West about 1,500 miles from the theft. The floorboards had been modified with secret compartments for hauling "stuff". :mad:

MENINBLK
02-15-2005, 09:45 AM
It is also illegal to cover your VIN in some states (NY for instance).

Even if we covered the VIN, it is still written on the Registration Sticker
and that has to be displayed in the windshield.

So no help for the NewYorkers... :(

ckadiddle
02-15-2005, 10:19 AM
My thoughts are that our cars look too similar to Crown Vics and Grand Marquis to be high on someone's hit list. They are too busy stealing Acuras, Honda, Mercedes, etc. Also, car thieves are lazy. Don't leave the keys in the car. :)

Oh, by the way... If anyone suddenly loses a highly modified, supercharged Marauder - IT WASN'T ME!! ;)

LordVader
02-15-2005, 11:09 AM
:o Part of my VIN is also engraved on every window in the car. With our PATS system it would seem that we are protected.

Patrick
02-15-2005, 12:15 PM
My thoughts are that our cars look too similar to Crown Vics and Grand Marquis to be high on someone's hit list. They are too busy stealing Acuras, Honda, Mercedes, etc. Also, car thieves are lazy. Don't leave the keys in the car. :)

Oh, by the way... If anyone suddenly loses a highly modified, supercharged Marauder - IT WASN'T ME!! ;)

Thats one way to get a S/Cer!!!!!
:laugh: :laugh:

Dr Caleb
02-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Hey Dr. --Great research --and quickly too I might add---Your info really explains it good---sorry folks--but It WAS the first I heard of such----Thanks again........Tom

No problem Tom. Happy to help. I'm just on a first name basis with Google.

That's the point of MM.net; ask questions, get answers. :beer:

wchain
02-15-2005, 01:25 PM
when you go to any local dealer in Town around the Houston area, when they make a key, the also require you to bring a copy of the Auto Insurance and your Drivers License. Your name must be on the insruance card somewhere. Or else, no key.

wsmylie
02-15-2005, 08:27 PM
This key scam's been around for ages, just seems like the publicity about it pops up every nowand again. PATS should keep MM owners somewhat protected from actual theft of vehicle but won't stop the SOB's from getting into the car and trunk for personal valuables. Dealers claim to do a pretty good job screening key requests though.... in fact, some won't do it at all. As far as covering the public VIN on the dash, that really sends up the red flares to the auto theft LEO's etc; might not be worth the hassles it could possibly create for you. But...it's your call. BILL

CBT
02-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Good one!:P
That's why we don't drive " NO STINKin' DoDGes":D

Bradley G

MarauderMark
02-15-2005, 08:46 PM
Now the old way of taking a car was to crack the steering column. Can this still be done and just jumping out the pats system(through the column) and just pushing down the lever and breaking the steering lock .Again can this be done to our cars or does the comp pick this up and react?

Second Wind
02-15-2005, 10:09 PM
Now the old way of taking a car was to crack the steering column. Can this still be done and just jumping out the pats system(through the column) and just pushing down the lever and breaking the steering lock .Again can this be done to our cars or does the comp pick this up and react?
Our Maruaders don't have steering locks..

Bigdogjim
02-15-2005, 10:10 PM
Even if we covered the VIN, it is still written on the Registration Sticker
and that has to be displayed in the windshield.

So no help for the NewYorkers... :(
New Jersey does the same thing.........I think they are in on it:rofl: